NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread VI: Are We Nearly There Yet? (READ OP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Have you been vaccinated?

YES, I have been fully vaccinated (the Janssen vaccine or both doses of any other vaccine)
138
23%
YES, BUT I have only received the first of two doses
101
17%
NO, BUT I will get the vaccine when I am offered a date to get it
226
37%
NO, AND I CAN'T
50
8%
NO, AND I DON'T WANT TO
94
15%
 
Total votes : 609

User avatar
The Black Forrest
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45462
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:14 am

Ethel mermania wrote:


Again I had two friends on ventilators who received it and recovered. So I belive my lying eyes


Was it HydroC or was it because of all the other drugs they received as well?

I remember reading something about that in the fight over it.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

User avatar
Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14773
Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:18 am

Kowani wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Amazing
A full year afterwards we're still banging the hydroxychloroquine drum. Just how many dollars do these people have at stake in this shitfest?

this was yesterday
Image


Fox News is less serious of a news channel than the Onion.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 114667
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:21 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
Again I had two friends on ventilators who received it and recovered. So I belive my lying eyes


Was it HydroC or was it because of all the other drugs they received as well?

I remember reading something about that in the fight over it.

Tbh, no idea, I just know what they both said.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Neutraligon
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 36829
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:34 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Was it HydroC or was it because of all the other drugs they received as well?

I remember reading something about that in the fight over it.

Tbh, no idea, I just know what they both said.

So basically correlation with no evidence of causation.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 114667
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:35 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Tbh, no idea, I just know what they both said.

So basically correlation with no evidence of causation.

Since I don't have access to their medical charts, its the best I can do
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21806
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Dakini » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:37 am

Glamour wrote:
Theresa May has lashed out at the government's Covid travel policy, saying the UK is "no further forward" one year after the pandemic hit — despite more than half of UK adults receiving two doses of a vaccine.

The former prime minister suggested Britain is beginning to fall behind Europe in reopening its borders to travellers. She said the UK is sending a message to the rest of the world that "Global Britain" is "shut for business".

It is weird that the UK requires people who are vaccinated to quarantine upon arrival.

I mean, the UK is on red lists for a number of countries because of the delta variant, but some countries aren't requiring people from their red listed countries to quarantine if they're vaccinated.

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 114667
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:38 am

Dakini wrote:
Glamour wrote:

It is weird that the UK requires people who are vaccinated to quarantine upon arrival.

I mean, the UK is on red lists for a number of countries because of the delta variant, but some countries aren't requiring people from their red listed countries to quarantine if they're vaccinated.

Boy #2 is on a Caribbean island, he is vaccinated, still has a 14 day quarantine.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15576
Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:40 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Was it HydroC or was it because of all the other drugs they received as well?

I remember reading something about that in the fight over it.

Tbh, no idea, I just know what they both said.

Ok, good for them. It's still not evidence.

User avatar
Neutraligon
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 36829
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:40 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:So basically correlation with no evidence of causation.

Since I don't have access to their medical charts, its the best I can do

No, the best you can do is not fall for the post hoc fallacy.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21806
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Dakini » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am

Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:
Kus Ther wrote:Study shows that hydroxychloroquine DOES help improve COVID-19 survival rate by a wide margin.

https://www.kusi.com/medrxiv-study-hydr ... ree-times/

Preprints are scientific curiosities: ways for researchers to get other researchers interested in following up on their research without going through the months or even years long process of peer review.

That's how medicine seems to use them.

In physics and astronomy, usually the papers are accepted to a journal or in press when the authors upload them to arXiv (or they're the kind of work that's educational rather than the kind of thing that gets published in a journal or occasionally, they're rejected papers with the rejection letter attached).

User avatar
Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21806
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Dakini » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:42 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Dakini wrote:It is weird that the UK requires people who are vaccinated to quarantine upon arrival.

I mean, the UK is on red lists for a number of countries because of the delta variant, but some countries aren't requiring people from their red listed countries to quarantine if they're vaccinated.

Boy #2 is on a Caribbean island, he is vaccinated, still has a 14 day quarantine.

Starting tomorrow, I can go anywhere in the world and come back to Romania without having to quarantine (tomorrow marks 14 days since I got vaccinated).

User avatar
Nevertopia
Minister
 
Posts: 2272
Founded: May 27, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nevertopia » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:43 am

Holy moly you guys I got vaxxed and the anti-vaxxers were right! I can feel the 5G in my body! I have spotless wifi connection where ever I go! :eek: And the microchips are downloading my body as we speak! Help me anti-vaxxers, which essential oils should I use?!
Down with the CCP
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 114667
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:45 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Since I don't have access to their medical charts, its the best I can do

No, the best you can do is not fall for the post hoc fallacy.

I will believe my lying eyes.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21806
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Dakini » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:47 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:No, the best you can do is not fall for the post hoc fallacy.

I will believe my lying eyes.

I mean, it's entirely possible that they would have survived without the hydroxychloroquine. That's why large scale scientific studies are needed to study these things (instead of looking at two people).

User avatar
Neutraligon
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 36829
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:47 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:No, the best you can do is not fall for the post hoc fallacy.

I will believe my lying eyes.

Except that is not what you are doing.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 114667
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:48 am

Dakini wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:I will believe my lying eyes.

I mean, it's entirely possible that they would have survived without the hydroxychloroquine. That's why large scale scientific studies are needed to study these things (instead of looking at two people).

True, I dont deny that
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 114667
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:50 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:I will believe my lying eyes.

Except that is not what you are doing.

How not so?
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Neutraligon
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 36829
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:53 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Except that is not what you are doing.

How not so?

Simple, you yourself admitted you do not have their medical information.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Nevertopia
Minister
 
Posts: 2272
Founded: May 27, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nevertopia » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:01 am

SO i looked into the most current up to date research on Hydroxychloroquine and it looks like its junk. Im willing to suspend judgment due to our current emergency but Im also looking out if the science behind the solutions we're coming up with is solid and HydroxyC looks like a clear loser in that regard. Its a Malaria drug and thats not diminished, but as a treatment for covid? Not so much.
Down with the CCP
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39406
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fartsniffage » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:15 am

Dakini wrote:
Glamour wrote:

It is weird that the UK requires people who are vaccinated to quarantine upon arrival.

I mean, the UK is on red lists for a number of countries because of the delta variant, but some countries aren't requiring people from their red listed countries to quarantine if they're vaccinated.


Not really weird. There is no agreed upon vaccine passport in the world right now. All I have is a bit of paper with a date and vaccine name on. How could anywhere check accurately whether someone has been vaccinated or not?

User avatar
Kowani
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39190
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:23 am

Johnson and Johnson loses another 60 million doses from the same shoddy plant

The Food and Drug and Administration (FDA) is forcing Johnson & Johnson to throw out millions of doses of its single-shot COVID-19 vaccine produced at a troubled plant in Baltimore due to contamination concerns.

According to The New York Times, 60 million doses were unusable.

Another 10 million doses from the plant will be allowed to be distributed but with a warning that the FDA cannot guarantee they were produced using good manufacturing practices, according to the Times.

In a statement, the FDA confirmed that it has now authorized two batches of the vaccine.

Federal officials "determined several other batches are not suitable for use, but additional batches are still under review and the agency will keep the public informed as those reviews are completed," the agency said.

The agency referred questions about specific numbers to Johnson & Johnson, which did not respond.

The FDA said it has not yet determined whether the plant, operated by Emergent BioSolutions, can reopen.

"These actions followed an extensive review of records, including the production history of the facility and the testing performed to evaluate the quality of the product," said Peter Marks, director of the FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. The loss of 60 million doses is the latest setback for Emergent. The plant, which has been under scrutiny for months, was shuttered in April for a host of violations, including contamination of Johnson & Johnson's vaccine with an ingredient for the AstraZeneca vaccine, which were both being manufactured by Emergent at the time.

The federal government has paid Emergent more than $271 million in taxpayer money, but the ensuing delays have meant that none of the millions of doses of the J&J vaccine produced at the plant have been distributed.
Sex is great. But have you tried data visualizations of partisan spatial segregation?
Our mission is to stand athwart history, yelling "Ha ha, your dog died, just like your son."
Updating Trackers! How Congress votes, what Americans believe, and world leader approvals
it's all propaganda

Headline of the day: Ebraim Raisi wins Presidential election in Iran
“Dale limona, mujer, que no hay en la vida ná, como la pena de ser, ciego en Graná”

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 114667
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:59 am

Kowani wrote:Johnson and Johnson loses another 60 million doses from the same shoddy plant

The Food and Drug and Administration (FDA) is forcing Johnson & Johnson to throw out millions of doses of its single-shot COVID-19 vaccine produced at a troubled plant in Baltimore due to contamination concerns.

According to The New York Times, 60 million doses were unusable.

Another 10 million doses from the plant will be allowed to be distributed but with a warning that the FDA cannot guarantee they were produced using good manufacturing practices, according to the Times.

In a statement, the FDA confirmed that it has now authorized two batches of the vaccine.

Federal officials "determined several other batches are not suitable for use, but additional batches are still under review and the agency will keep the public informed as those reviews are completed," the agency said.

The agency referred questions about specific numbers to Johnson & Johnson, which did not respond.

The FDA said it has not yet determined whether the plant, operated by Emergent BioSolutions, can reopen.

"These actions followed an extensive review of records, including the production history of the facility and the testing performed to evaluate the quality of the product," said Peter Marks, director of the FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. The loss of 60 million doses is the latest setback for Emergent. The plant, which has been under scrutiny for months, was shuttered in April for a host of violations, including contamination of Johnson & Johnson's vaccine with an ingredient for the AstraZeneca vaccine, which were both being manufactured by Emergent at the time.

The federal government has paid Emergent more than $271 million in taxpayer money, but the ensuing delays have meant that none of the millions of doses of the J&J vaccine produced at the plant have been distributed.


Again, anyone who trusts the quality of a product made by the owners of the New York Jets is a fool.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 199510
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:36 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Seangoli wrote:I'd suggest planning to not do anything Monday. Most people will have mildish to no post-vaccine symptoms, however I have known a few who got sick as a dog.i got some fever chills for a few hours and was tired as hell, but it subsided quick. Was the weirdest thing to feel like I had a fever without running a fever. Its all pretty normal, nothing to be worried about, but there is the possibility you'll be knocked out for a day. That said, even the people I know who got sick as hell were fine the next day.


Saturday is probably pretty good timing then...as far as I can tell from those who have received the two-shot vaccines, most people who had little or no side effects from the first won't have much worse, if even worse at all, from the second. Age and sex are also major variables, side effects scale by age for all of the vaccines with younger people having a stronger reaction and more severe side effects*. Men by and large also have much milder side effects than women, too, although I am not sure if this has anything to do with age or rather inherent immune system differences.

*Immune response of course changes as you age, but one thing I am wondering is if people also have a greater chance of exposure to other coronaviruses over time as they age rather than the ordinary rhinoviruses that comprise the vast majority of childhood colds, reducing the intensity of the immune response since it's something that is now known. It's totally anecdotal but I have rarely gotten a cold since I was a child, but when I do...it totally knocks my ass out for a day but then goes away completely after that. The J&J side effects were exactly like that but much shorter.

One thing to emphasize is that side effects, or the lack thereof, have no impact on the development of protective antibodies. So please do so if it is available to you.


Men tend to shrug off the side effects. I read it has to do with testosterone. Not all men shrug it off, but many do. I felt like ass, both times, but estrogen can apparently increase the side effects’ feelings on women.
I really don’t care.
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14773
Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:43 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Vetalia wrote:
Saturday is probably pretty good timing then...as far as I can tell from those who have received the two-shot vaccines, most people who had little or no side effects from the first won't have much worse, if even worse at all, from the second. Age and sex are also major variables, side effects scale by age for all of the vaccines with younger people having a stronger reaction and more severe side effects*. Men by and large also have much milder side effects than women, too, although I am not sure if this has anything to do with age or rather inherent immune system differences.

*Immune response of course changes as you age, but one thing I am wondering is if people also have a greater chance of exposure to other coronaviruses over time as they age rather than the ordinary rhinoviruses that comprise the vast majority of childhood colds, reducing the intensity of the immune response since it's something that is now known. It's totally anecdotal but I have rarely gotten a cold since I was a child, but when I do...it totally knocks my ass out for a day but then goes away completely after that. The J&J side effects were exactly like that but much shorter.

One thing to emphasize is that side effects, or the lack thereof, have no impact on the development of protective antibodies. So please do so if it is available to you.


Men tend to shrug off the side effects. I read it has to do with testosterone. Not all men shrug it off, but many do. I felt like ass, both times, but estrogen can apparently increase the side effects’ feelings on women.


My sister was vomiting worse than I did the time I drank a fifth of vodka. I meanwhile just felt like not doing anything.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 199510
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:51 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Men tend to shrug off the side effects. I read it has to do with testosterone. Not all men shrug it off, but many do. I felt like ass, both times, but estrogen can apparently increase the side effects’ feelings on women.


My sister was vomiting worse than I did the time I drank a fifth of vodka. I meanwhile just felt like not doing anything.


My step-dad shrugged the first and second shot like nothing. Not even a headache. My father-in-law however felt rather crummy after his second shot. I felt awful both times.

I’m not sure if it’s that estrogen can amplify side effects for women. Gotta check that out.

Here

For example, estrogens, hormones responsible for the female reproductive system and secondary sex characteristics in women, may be related to larger immune response. A 2019 study of immune response to the H1N1 vaccine found that in both humans and mice, presence of the major female sex hormone estradiol in adult females led to more robust antibody responses following vaccination in comparison with males and older females without high levels of estradiol. This indicates that while women might actually have more side effects as well as report them more often, they also may benefit more from the protective effects of a vaccine.
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really don’t care.
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dresderstan, Federal European States, Galloism, Gravlen, Herador, Infected Mushroom, Just-An-Illusion, New haven america, Outer Sparta, South Americanastan, The Opinions Guy, The Orson Empire, Thermodolia, Tsereia, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads