NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread VI: Are We Nearly There Yet? (READ OP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should your country require everyone who can receive a COVID-19 vaccine to actually receive it?

YES
53%
YES, BUT there should also be exceptions for philosophical and religious reasons
7%
NO, BUT EMPLOYERS SHOULD DO SO THEMSELVES
5%
NO, BUT people should be incentivised towards taking, and/or away from not taking, a COVID-19 vaccine (perhaps through lotteries, vaccine passports, etc.)
14%
NO
22%

Total votes : 302

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Sun May 16, 2021 9:08 pm

San Lumen wrote:https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/553773-fauci-vaccinated-people-become-dead-ends-for-the-coronavirus

Fauci: Vaccinated people become 'dead ends' for the coronavirus

Nice! :)
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun May 16, 2021 9:16 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It was weird and unpleasant to have to give myself the CoVID swab test. The first time I had one, it was done by a lab tech last year. My nose isn’t happy.

Oh, I had to do that once.

I've had five COVID tests in the past fourteen months... three by nurses, one by test site personnel and once at home by myself. So, I sympathise.

Fartsniffage wrote:
San Lumen wrote:It’s time to get back to living. Zero Covid is an impossible goal. There is a degree of risk In everyday life and things and society shouldn’t be restructured over one virus.

Although, masks during flu season seems like something we should start doing. The most minor of inconveniences and it will save lives from both flu and covid every year.

And the increased handwashing and sanitiser stations in stores should always have been a thing and certainly should remain.

I agree, these would all be excellent measured to maintain.

Also, not cramming restaurant tables back together like sardines in a can, and maintaining the increased disinfection of businesses.

Ifreann wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:It's time to get off the train to doomtown yall, at least with covid. This isn't the doomsday virus, we have vaccines, and being a doomer and assuming covid is just gonna beat all odds like it's rocky balboa and vaccines won't stop it and make society safe is as unrealistic as trump saying it's the flu.

The fuck are you talking about, "train to doomtown"? There is no implication of "therefore we are doomed" in pointing out that vaccines are not a perfect miracle technology, or in suggesting that we not rush desperately to disregard the health of those around us.

Agreed. A slow and steady, cautious approach is needed.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sun May 16, 2021 9:22 pm

Has IMPENDING DOOM as Walensky cried about happened yet?

I dined indoors without a mask at an Indian restaurant at every point of the process. I estimate I killed 3,000 grandmas.
Last edited by Vetalia on Sun May 16, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun May 16, 2021 9:27 pm

Vetalia wrote:Has IMPENDING DOOM happened yet?

I honestly can't imagine what the appeal of smugly sneering at people dying is, but like a dog returning to vomit, you sure seem to come back to it often enough.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sun May 16, 2021 9:27 pm

*Sigh* Not this bullshit again...
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sun May 16, 2021 9:28 pm

Vetalia wrote:Has IMPENDING DOOM as Walensky cried about happened yet?

I dined indoors without a mask at an Indian restaurant at every point of the process. I estimate I killed 3,000 grandmas.

No. The situation is improving every day. It has been a hard times but good ones are coming. Stay calm, don't let your frustration get the better of you.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun May 16, 2021 9:32 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Something feels very sus about the CDC lifting all these mask mandates when only like half of Americans are vaccinated and offering little guidance as to how this works. I also notice that upon being questioned about breakthrough cases that ended in casualties, the CDC claimed we don't know if covid killed them or if something else did, which is awfully similar to a talking point used among Trump supporters and the former president last year when confronted with the hundreds of thousands of deaths nationwide, a talking point he was criticized for by liberal media pundits. Idk who I'm supposed to trust. Because I also remember them saying covid herd immunity could only be achieved when between 70 and 90% of Americans are vaccinated but then they say the vaccines are dramatically lowering cases nationwide despite it being like half of people at best who have been vaccinated with any dose at all. I just feel like someone isn't being totally honest with us.

Herd immunity isn't a binary "you have it or you don't." It's more of a sliding scale.

For example, when we get measles outbreaks because there are too many antivaxxers, those outbreaks have limited reach because most of the US is vaccinated. There are enough unvaccinated people for sporadic outbreaks, but there are not enough for it to escalate into a global pandemic. Before the invention of a vaccine, measles was everywhere.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sun May 16, 2021 9:34 pm

Nakena wrote:

No. The situation is improving every day. It has been a hard times but good ones are coming. Stay calm, don't let your frustration get the better of you.

lol, the only reason the "situation is improving" is because dipshit Fauci and the rest of the COVID clowns couldn't find out a way to explain away Texas, Florida and the rest of the Free States.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Sun May 16, 2021 9:36 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Something feels very sus about the CDC lifting all these mask mandates when only like half of Americans are vaccinated and offering little guidance as to how this works. I also notice that upon being questioned about breakthrough cases that ended in casualties, the CDC claimed we don't know if covid killed them or if something else did, which is awfully similar to a talking point used among Trump supporters and the former president last year when confronted with the hundreds of thousands of deaths nationwide, a talking point he was criticized for by liberal media pundits. Idk who I'm supposed to trust. Because I also remember them saying covid herd immunity could only be achieved when between 70 and 90% of Americans are vaccinated but then they say the vaccines are dramatically lowering cases nationwide despite it being like half of people at best who have been vaccinated with any dose at all. I just feel like someone isn't being totally honest with us.

Herd immunity isn't a binary "you have it or you don't." It's more of a sliding scale.

For example, when we get measles outbreaks because there are too many antivaxxers, those outbreaks have limited reach because most of the US is vaccinated. There are enough unvaccinated people for sporadic outbreaks, but there are not enough for it to escalate into a global pandemic. Before the invention of a vaccine, measles was everywhere.

I think the biggest concern is the antivaxxers being a breeding ground for mutated strains, possibly vaccine-resistant ones, since Covid has shown itself to be very mutable.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Sun May 16, 2021 9:37 pm

Rusozak wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

I think the biggest concern is the antivaxxers being a breeding ground for mutated strains, possibly vaccine-resistant ones, since Covid has shown itself to be very mutable.

As well as they should be considering there's a variant going around India right now.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun May 16, 2021 9:41 pm

USS Monitor wrote:

Although, I posted a link earlier in the thread, Measles also impacts pockets of immunocompromised people around the anti-vaxxers, which is why having as many people vaccinated as possible is really essential.

I agree that COVID will -- with time -- probably reach the status of Measles. But that still isn't a good thing, as Measles can still be a killer.

Rusozak wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

This is why, IMO, any opening up should be very slow -- allowing time for the new variants and the vaccines' efficacy with relation to them to be fully explored.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun May 16, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Sun May 16, 2021 9:46 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Rusozak wrote:

As well as they should be considering there's a variant going around India right now.

But the vaccines we have can easily be modified to combat those strains iirc
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sun May 16, 2021 9:49 pm

Rusozak wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

I'd actually be more concerned about new zoonotic coronaviruses. We've had SARS, MERS, and COVID in a short timeframe, so what else is out there? Or what if MERS mutated to spread more easily among humans?
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Sun May 16, 2021 9:51 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Nakena wrote:

lol, the only reason the "situation is improving" is because dipshit Fauci and the rest of the COVID clowns couldn't find out a way to explain away Texas, Florida and the rest of the Free States.

And then we have people like you, who have willfully been ignoring everything going on.

Look, the main reason we’ve not seen “impending doom” is because people are getting vaccinated and unvaccinated people are (hopefully) continuing to wear masks. Unfortunately that doesn’t appear to be all of them… :eyebrow:

So quit your gloating and either get vaccinated or put your mask back on because we’re too close to nipping this thing in the bud only for you to set us back
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun May 16, 2021 9:51 pm

Xmara wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

But the vaccines we have can easily be modified to combat those strains iirc

It is possible to modify vaccines, but there would probably still have to be trials as for any new COVID vaccine to include the variant (as the vaccine itself is fairly new). So that could conceivably slow the process.

I know Moderna has started the process (and others most likely have by this point; the article is old), but I still think it advisable to be cautious for awhile longer.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun May 16, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Sun May 16, 2021 9:55 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Xmara wrote:But the vaccines we have can easily be modified to combat those strains iirc

It is possible to modify vaccines, but there would probably still have to be trials as for any new COVID vaccine to include the variant (as the vaccine itself is fairly new). So that could conceivably slow the process.

True, but prayerfully it won’t happen. All we can do is hope we don’t have to worry about vaccine resistant variants anytime soon.

I’ve been trying to stay optimistic. When I get pessimistic, it’s hard to reverse the doom spiral I go down.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

North Washington Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Sun May 16, 2021 10:16 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Nakena wrote:

Oh, and what qualifications do you have in medicine?
I’m a Wesleyan Christian center-left American Patriot. 29 year-old male and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Pro: Jesus, The Holy Bible, Constitutional Republic, representative democracy, efficient and comprehensive welfare state, neoconservatism, civic nationalism, cannabis legalization, $15 an hour min.wage, religious liberty, LGBTQIA rights, Law & Order, police, death penalty, sensible reform of law enforcement, racial equity, peace through strength, NATO, EU
Anti: Satan, sin, anarchism, paleoconservatism, communism, libertarianism, fascism, ACAB, racism, populism, Trump(ism), Qanon, Putin, Xi, Taliban.
Economic Left/Right: -0.75. Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
My 8values results

GET VACCINATED ASAP AND WEAR A MASK!!!

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Sun May 16, 2021 10:18 pm

Please don’t compare Trump and the fine people a the CDC. We have to remember, that we have a new President that is interested in listening to the scientists. If you want to blame someone, blame the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers.
I’m a Wesleyan Christian center-left American Patriot. 29 year-old male and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Pro: Jesus, The Holy Bible, Constitutional Republic, representative democracy, efficient and comprehensive welfare state, neoconservatism, civic nationalism, cannabis legalization, $15 an hour min.wage, religious liberty, LGBTQIA rights, Law & Order, police, death penalty, sensible reform of law enforcement, racial equity, peace through strength, NATO, EU
Anti: Satan, sin, anarchism, paleoconservatism, communism, libertarianism, fascism, ACAB, racism, populism, Trump(ism), Qanon, Putin, Xi, Taliban.
My 8values results

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 16, 2021 10:20 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Nakena wrote:

...What?

How does that even begin to make sense?

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Sun May 16, 2021 10:24 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Vetalia wrote:

...What?

He is one of those “Scandemic” folks.
My 8values results

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun May 16, 2021 10:36 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Nakena wrote:

Don’t be daft. Can you explain it? I wouldn’t be hanging the “Mission Accomplished” banner yet.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun May 16, 2021 10:48 pm

No, but give it time and there’s a possibility it might. I personally believe that the worst has yet to come, to be honest.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Esalia
Minister

Founded: Oct 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Esalia » Sun May 16, 2021 11:55 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Vetalia wrote:

...What?

Has any of Vetalia's claims ever made sense?

May I remind you this is the same person who took a handful of TikTok videos of nurses dancing in hospitals and took it as definitive proof that there was no crisis with COVID.

There's no "sense" here. There's "I will use any conspiracy no matter how illogical to pretend COVID away".
Formerly Estanglia.

Pro: Things I think are good.
Anti: Things I think are bad.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon May 17, 2021 2:43 am

Albrenia wrote:
Vetalia wrote:

...What?

It doesnt.

The only reason Vetalia comes here to this thread is to spread lies and misinformation about COVID. They have been doing it for months and even bragged about burning the singular surgical mask they had been wearing for months.

He also thinks Hospitals were not overworked because of some dancing videos on tiktok because medical workers are not allowed any relief or respite at all or else they are lying about everything.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Mon May 17, 2021 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon May 17, 2021 2:44 am

I reiterate my last comment to you.

Go act this way to a family who lost someone to covid and see how long you last.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General