NATION

PASSWORD

The fallen nations thread.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Revive big Poland?

bring back as duchy of Warsaw.
6%
NO! poland today is fine.
6%
POLAND MUST BE BIGGER! PRE WW2 BORDERS!
9%
Soviet ending: USSR wins war, Poland becomes communist
9%
Bye Bye Poland (its Reich time)
6%
Revive as Kingdom of Poland
6%
Revive as Poland Lithuania.
16%
ALL THE WORLD IS OF PLOASKA
No votes
L O N G L I V E T H I C C P O L A N D. G A L A T I T C P O L A N D
22%
I like pressing buttons
19%

Total votes : 32

The Dodo Republic
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 22, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

The fallen nations thread.

Postby The Dodo Republic » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:32 am

Well...I did not know to title this... My apologizes if its misleading. This is the thread to discuss real life nations that no longer exist or have since became something else. (A favorable example would be Prussia or the USSR). This is the thread to discuss these nations. What could have been done to "save them" and what nations would you have wish to see in the present day? (Proposed nations and ideas can also be discussed.)

Enjoy! :)
Last edited by The Dodo Republic on Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Birds are government drones. The media has lied to you this whole time. Well, good morning good afternoon good evening nationstates. Long Island born and raised liberal conservative, actor, singer, history enthusiast (I know original), antique simp, fan of prehistory and especially dodos. Have a good day everybody :)

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:33 am

Question is, would you want to save any of them?
Yugoslavia's back baby...

How the hell did this happen?
Well...we don't actually know. Just sort of happened one day.
Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

The Dodo Republic
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby The Dodo Republic » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:35 am

New yugoslavaia wrote:Question is, would you want to save any of them?

I would have liked to see Prussia in the present day. Or the German Empire as a whole survive... (Under the German empire or something similar)
Birds are government drones. The media has lied to you this whole time. Well, good morning good afternoon good evening nationstates. Long Island born and raised liberal conservative, actor, singer, history enthusiast (I know original), antique simp, fan of prehistory and especially dodos. Have a good day everybody :)

Prusmia
Attaché

Founded: Nov 14, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Prusmia » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:37 am

The Dodo Republic wrote:
New yugoslavaia wrote:Question is, would you want to save any of them?

I would have liked to see Prussia in the present day. Or the German Empire as a whole survive... (Under the German empire or something similar)

Seeing a modern Prussia would be nice, although I seem to be very simmilar.
She/Her

| |||||||||||||||||||| | |||||||||||||||||||| | |||||||||||||||||||| |

| Former Vice President & Space Cartographer of the New World Union, Former Minister of Foreign of Foreign Affairs & Current Diplomat of Forest |
Subject to change without official notice, or even unofficial notice; we're winging it.This product is meant for educational purposes only as students are trapped in classes and can't escape. Any resemblance to real, artificial or simulated persons, living or dead, will be news to us. Avoid contact with skin: levitate. Be sure each item is properly endorsed by a major political party. Your signature is not an admission of guilt, though we'll try and convince the jury otherwise:

Keep away from fire or flames or nuclear detonations.

Fjarrej
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 23, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Fjarrej » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:39 am

I'd like to see Tibet make a return. And it could be like a constitutional theocracy with the Dalai Lama as the head of State and a democratically elected regime as the head of government.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:41 am

I read somewhere that Vermont was once a Republic, and I just think that's kind of sick, we should bring it back. Imagine a nation where maple syrup and beanies make up 80% of the GDP.

The Dodo Republic
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby The Dodo Republic » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:42 am

Major-Tom wrote:I read somewhere that Vermont was once a Republic, and I just think that's kind of sick, we should bring it back. Imagine a nation where maple syrup and beanies make up 80% of the GDP.

Y e s

Cruciland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cruciland » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:43 am

Speaking of the OP's mention of the USSR, I would have loved it if the White Army won and we still had the Russian Empire. They'd certainly be a stronger power today than the Russian Federation currently is, and would make a nice counterbalance to China if/when the US hegemony implodes.
THREADS SINGLE-HANDEDLY KILLED: 29 | Beliefs IBeliefs IIBeliefs III
Crucilandians - Old Capital - New Capital | A 4.8 civilization, according to this index.
Socialdemokraterne wrote:If the absence of secularism wasn't enough to scare our people, the rate of which the doomsday button is pressed by them sure settled the matter.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Cruciland, I just want to say, your nation is frightening.

The Inevitable Syndicate wrote:My advice to you, dear Gordano-Lysandus, is to run. Or hide. Maybe not hiding, because the Crucilandians will find you, and by their god, you will be assimilated.

The Dodo Republic
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby The Dodo Republic » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:45 am

Cruciland wrote:Speaking of the OP's mention of the USSR, I would have loved it if the White Army won and we still had the Russian Empire. They'd certainly be a stronger power today than the Russian Federation currently is, and would make a nice counterbalance to China if/when the US hegemony implodes.

this would be something I wish to see as well. I dont think it could survive as a monarchy however.

Ancapimania
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 11, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancapimania » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:47 am

I would like to see Weimar Germany survive in the modern world,it would be stronger considering Venezuela and other nations have high inflation rates right now.But I would also like to see viking iceland because they would be a giant economic powerhouse because it was libertarian.
The nation of Ancapimania is a free,democratic Nation with guns
officially a British ancap
Defcon 5-very peaceful
Ancappro drugsanti Americaanti Chinaanti EUpro choicemusketeerDragon city pro

Ancap wonderland
Here's why I'm anti American: they eat burger king.

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:54 am

Cruciland wrote:Speaking of the OP's mention of the USSR, I would have loved it if the White Army won and we still had the Russian Empire. They'd certainly be a stronger power today than the Russian Federation currently is, and would make a nice counterbalance to China if/when the US hegemony implodes.

Could be interesting...provided they dropped the pogroms.

Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:55 am

Fjarrej wrote:I'd like to see Tibet make a return. And it could be like a constitutional theocracy with the Dalai Lama as the head of State and a democratically elected regime as the head of government.

Nice idea, but considering China's on the way to becoming a world Superpower...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayAu5OkvwGY&ab

New Yugoslavia just is.

The Dodo Republic
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby The Dodo Republic » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:57 am

Fjarrej wrote:I'd like to see Tibet make a return. And it could be like a constitutional theocracy with the Dalai Lama as the head of State and a democratically elected regime as the head of government.

Tibet is yes

Fjarrej
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 23, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Fjarrej » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:59 am

I mean an election was held in Russia in 1917 where the bolsheviks lost and rejected the results, but what if they didn't and the civil war never even happened. What if Russia evolved into a democracy throughout the 20th century and never fell to communism? It'd be a western democracy like Germany. I think that idea's pretty cool if you ask me 8)

Syndic Australia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 12, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Syndic Australia » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:01 am

Compared to my list of hypothetical nations, the list of sadly defunct nation's is remarkably short.

Pan-culturalism unions are those that I feel the most saddened by the failure of. Unions such as Gran Colombia, the United States of Central America, the United Arab Republic - heck, even that Carribbean Federation that kicked around for a while - that could never realise their goals for one reason or another.

Prussia went on to unify Germany in its own cultural union - yes the territory is no longer part of Germany but neither are the current residents German.

With the USSR, I harbour a great deal of sympathy for Kerensky, and feel that the less Leninist involvement in post-imperial Russia, the better things would've turned out, to put it very simply. In a similar vein, who knows what Marshall's plan for China could have led to or avoided...

Tibet would be a good choice, like Fjarrej mentioned. It would be interesting to see more modern theocratic states, including constitutional ones.

I'm not going to touch on anything pre-napoleonic, pre-modern states would be far too much of a deep dive. On that note though, a successful Napoleonic France, or at least a France retaining Napoleon, would have been a boon to humanity.

That's pretty much everything off the top of my head. Palestine maybe? Does Kurdistan count? Perhaps a Hashimid Arabia? I'm not well versed enough to make an informed statement on the middle east or Africa beyond that, but I do hope that prospective East African Union doesn't turn into another Gran Colombia.
January 27° - The 2025 Federal Election season has begun! Initial three-party preferred polls put the I.S.P. ahead at 37%, followed by the Country Party at 34%, then Labor at 29%.

⠀⠀ ‎ ‎ ‎ ⠀"In truth and solidarity, Australia advances"
⠀⠀✷ ⠀Australic Consulic Program
⠀⠀⠀Fremantle Intl. Transp. Hub
⠀⠀⠀⠀A.S.I. Portal (Factbooks)

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:03 am

Syndic Australia wrote:Compared to my list of hypothetical nations, the list of sadly defunct nation's is remarkably short.

Pan-culturalism unions are those that I feel the most saddened by the failure of. Unions such as Gran Colombia, the United States of Central America, the United Arab Republic - heck, even that Carribbean Federation that kicked around for a while - that could never realise their goals for one reason or another.

I do wish the world was a bit more united.

New Yugoslavia just is.

The Dodo Republic
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby The Dodo Republic » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:09 am

Fjarrej wrote:I mean an election was held in Russia in 1917 where the bolsheviks lost and rejected the results, but what if they didn't and the civil war never even happened. What if Russia evolved into a democracy throughout the 20th century and never fell to communism? It'd be a western democracy like Germany. I think that idea's pretty cool if you ask me 8)

That would be interesting.

The Dodo Republic
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby The Dodo Republic » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:11 am

Syndic Australia wrote:Compared to my list of hypothetical nations, the list of sadly defunct nation's is remarkably short.

Prussia went on to unify Germany in its own cultural union - yes the territory is no longer part of Germany but neither are the current residents German.

With the USSR, I harbour a great deal of sympathy for Kerensky, and feel that the less Leninist involvement in post-imperial Russia, the better things would've turned out, to put it very simply. In a similar vein, who knows what Marshall's plan for China could have led to or avoided...

Tibet would be a good choice, like Fjarrej mentioned. It would be interesting to see more modern theocratic states, including constitutional ones.

I'm not going to touch on anything pre-napoleonic, pre-modern states would be far too much of a deep dive. On that note though, a successful Napoleonic France, or at least a France retaining Napoleon, would have been a boon to humanity.

That's pretty much everything off the top of my head. Palestine maybe? Does Kurdistan count? Perhaps a Hashimid Arabia? I'm not well versed enough to make an informed statement on the middle east or Africa beyond that, but I do hope that prospective East African Union doesn't turn into another Gran Colombia.

(Proposed nations also count)

Syndic Australia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Syndic Australia » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:13 am

Thinking a bit more, a post-WW1 democratic Japan was very much within the realm of possibility, were it not that the imperial powers were unwilling to consider the Japanese as 'racial equals' as it would require them to either admit the 'Mission to Civilize' was a complete lie, or actually attainable by their colonial subjects. The west chose to let Japan's nascent democracy fall, probably to the detriment of all, but in another world, perhaps, there was a place for Japan in the Wilsonian world order (or at the very least not open and intense hostility).

Incredibly unlikely, considering that anti-asian sentiment transcended the political spectrum, but the knock-on effect would've been tremendous.
January 27° - The 2025 Federal Election season has begun! Initial three-party preferred polls put the I.S.P. ahead at 37%, followed by the Country Party at 34%, then Labor at 29%.

Sierra Grand
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Sierra Grand » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:13 am

Austria and Hungary seems a place that wouldn't be too bad to revive.
I mean Serbia shot their leader
IC Sierra Grand does not represent my actual views, it is more authoritarian than I am.
Proud American-Albanian-Belgian and NAVA member (he/him)
Fluent Anglophone, Albanophone, Francophone, Partially Germanophone
Hail Sovereign Sara May. L.P.D. and Left/Rights claim victory in Luyver meanwhile Cantonsall is currently on fire. Another train has blown up in downtown P.E., what's new?

Syndic Australia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Syndic Australia » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:18 am

Sierra Grand wrote:Austria and Hungary seems a place that wouldn't be too bad to revive.
I mean Serbia shot their leader

Just the dual-monarchy or are the Slavs being caught up in this again? And what about Transylvania and Hungary's (many) other losses?

I always feel bad for Hungary, it's only ever shrunk :(

Cokoland
Envoy

Founded: Jul 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cokoland » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:25 am

From all of these I'll probably chose Saxony or Bavaria, I'm feeling like all the other lost nations (atleast the most popular ones) would probably start conflicts again if they were revived in the present day, as with Saxony or Bavaria I imagine they would be chill as their neighbors, maybe they would have some conflict with Germany but other than that I imagine the world with be as usual even if they were to come back.

Also is pretty weird that from all of the lost nations that were out there OP only chosed german ones.
insert signature here

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:26 am

Major-Tom wrote:I read somewhere that Vermont was once a Republic, and I just think that's kind of sick, we should bring it back. Imagine a nation where maple syrup and beanies make up 80% of the GDP.

Worm Mountain (ask a French speaker) was indeed a de facto independent state from 1777 to 1791.

Simplifying somewhat, it arose as a result of a colonial-era dispute between New York and New Hampshire, which had both issued land grants in the region. With New York refusing to concede, the settlers holding grants from New Hampshire declared independence. Everyone's intent was that the territory would eventually become part of the United States, but New York continued to press its claim until 1790, which made admission of Vermont impossible since the US constitution requires the consent of states if a state is being formed out of an existing state's territory (as claimed by New York). Once New York's consent was finally given (contingent on negotiating the border between the two), Vermont was accepted into the Union.

On the actual thread topic, assuming we have to limit this to states that ceased to exist in the modern period, so some time after c.1500 (and the Dodo Republic might actually want to make this clearer), then I'll put in a vote for the Republic of Venice; founded as a vassal of the Byzantine/Eastern Roman Empire at some unknown point in the early medieval period (AD 697, according to legend), and destroyed by Napoleon in 1797. Just this once, I'll even overlook AD 1204.

A White victory in the Civil War almost certainly would have led to an authoritarian repressive state as bad in its own (if very different) way as the Bolsheviks, and wouldn't necessarily have led to a restoration of the Romanov monarchy. Part of the problem the Whites had is that they weren't an ideological movement; the only thing that united the Whites was opposition to the Bolsheviks, and they included a broad spectrum of political views in their ranks, from Kerensky-supporting social democratic republicans through to some fairly scary proto-fascist autocrats. Their military leaders, however - the people actually in a position to impose some measure of control had they won - tended towards autocrats who were perfectly happy to carry out pogroms in service of Great Russian chauvinism, even while paying lip service to a multinational Russian state.

In a perfect world, neither side would have won the Civil War, and a new Russian state based on the 1918 Constitutent Assembly - the only body with any claim to democratic legitimacy in Russia - would have been formed peacefully; but that was impossible under the specific circumstances of 1917-1918.

Mercatus
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercatus » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:31 am

The Republic of Texas would be interesting if it existed nowadays. Of course, with the fractured state of our Union Texas could probably up and leave without many issues.
About Me: Far-Right high schooler from Texas disillusioned with the progressive path being taken by society and propagated by young people.
Political Ideology: Right Wing Populism
Religion: Evangelical Baptist Christian

Pro: Gun Rights, Nuclear Family, Protectionist Economics, Capitalism, Israel, Border Wall, Fossil Fuels, Nuclear Energy, Traditional Social Values.
Anti: Communism, Socialism, BLM, LGBTQ Rights, Environmentalism, Affirmative Action, Globalism, Corporatism, Universalism, New Age Spirituality.

Syndic Australia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Syndic Australia » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:32 am

Cokoland wrote:From all of these I'll probably chose Saxony or Bavaria, I'm feeling like all the other lost nations (atleast the most popular ones) would probably start conflicts again if they were revived in the present day, as with Saxony or Bavaria I imagine they would be chill as their neighbors, maybe they would have some conflict with Germany but other than that I imagine the world with be as usual even if they were to come back.

Also is pretty weird that from all of the lost nations that were out there OP only chosed german ones.

If i had to pick, I'd also go for Bavaria, but Hannover/Brunswick (considering its historical ties to the UK) would also be interesting.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General