NATION

PASSWORD

Trans Discussion Thread: Catgirls Don't Need Litterboxes

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:36 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Saiwania wrote:So, DC comics is making Superman bisexual or his son. What are people's thoughts on this new culture war? Conservatives and myself, hate it. Not the end of the world but dang, this is Hollywood or woke culture ruining another thing from my standpoint. A sign of the times?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/11/entertai ... index.html

I really don't mind if superman's son is bi, however I do mind that it's just another reimagining for the sake of identity politics rather than being made by fans for fans. The Critical Drinker described it well.

What is identity politics anyway? I thought it was meant to be expecting a given demographic to vote a certain way by virtue of being that demographic.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:42 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Saiwania wrote:So, DC comics is making Superman bisexual or his son. What are people's thoughts on this new culture war? Conservatives and myself, hate it. Not the end of the world but dang, this is Hollywood or woke culture ruining another thing from my standpoint. A sign of the times?

I really don't mind if superman's son is bi, however I do mind that it's just another reimagining for the sake of identity politics rather than being made by fans for fans. The Critical Drinker described it well.

There's not really any "Idpol done for only idpol's sake". At most it's just "Fans who make sludge in attempting to include minority fans". Making mediocrity and genuine enjoying what you're making aren't opposites.

So your concern is better directed against things sucking rather than looking out for manipulative fake fans creating shit.
#NSTransparency

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:21 pm

Vassenor wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

What is identity politics anyway? I thought it was meant to be expecting a given demographic to vote a certain way by virtue of being that demographic.

It's a wide subject but in this context it's the difference between Ellen Ripley and [insert female character from recent remake]:

Ellen Ripley- A strong, independant female character who plays a leading role in a movie. While her gender may be an important symbolic departure from male characters, it doesn't come at the expense of writing quality or at the expense of other groups. This is healthy progressivism.

[insert female character from recent remake]: Attempts to put their gender at the front and centre of the plot, to the point that any white males are either evil or stupid. Since traditional femininity is to be avoided she attempts to be as manly as possible while simultaneously being a raging misandrist. This is identity politics.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Postby Uiiop » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:33 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

It's a wide subject but in this context it's the difference between Ellen Ripley and [insert female character from recent remake]:

Ellen Ripley- A strong, independant female character who plays a leading role in a movie. While her gender may be an important symbolic departure from male characters, it doesn't come at the expense of writing quality or at the expense of other groups. This is healthy progressivism.

[insert female character from recent remake]: Attempts to put their gender at the front and centre of the plot, to the point that any white males are either evil or stupid. Since traditional femininity is to be avoided she attempts to be as manly as possible while simultaneously being a raging misandrist. This is identity politics.

So it's basically "I don't like thing so they must be fake fans being bigots."

Ghostbusters 2016 sucked ass but they were pretty feminine and stupid in it and all indications were that the people who were writing loved the franchise and were sincere . The whole reason it was a reboot was because they didn't want to fuck with the canon. The actors are literally friends with some of the old cast. Being mean to your critics then sucking anyway is not an indicator of insincerity.

if it's something else then why undermine your point by not actually pointing at an example. People will still be defensive of either the film you're implying it is or that there's isn't a problem. Sounds like a coward when you're fine with being mobbed in the UK thread. What? Are stans just going to log in and make things worse?
Last edited by Uiiop on Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#NSTransparency

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:48 pm

Uiiop wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

So it's basically "I don't like thing so they must be fake fans being bigots."

More like "any criticism of this movie is by istaphobe manbaby incels even if they're women".

Ghostbusters 2016 sucked ass but they were pretty feminine and stupid in it and all indications were that the people who were writing loved the franchise and were sincere . The whole reason it was a reboot was because they didn't want to fuck with the canon. The actors are literally friends with some of the old cast. Being mean to your critics then sucking anyway is not an indicator of insincerity.

As shown in the video, there's a pretty formulaic attitude which births these movies.

"The whole reason it was a reboot was because they didn't want to fuck with the canon."
Then why did some of the cast act so victimised when the canon stops mentioning them?

Sounds like a coward when you're fine with being mobbed in the UK thread. What? Are stans just going to log in and make things worse?

Did I miss something? I was discussing employment economics with two or three other posters. I disagree with Fartsniffage but Nilokeras has given a very constructive and thoughtful reply. I don't see how this is being "mobbed" or how it's relevant to this thread.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:49 pm

So we’re doing the “stop giving existing characters development that makes their sexuality not what I assumed it was” thing then.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:56 pm

Vassenor wrote:So we’re doing the “stop giving existing characters development that makes their sexuality not what I assumed it was” thing then.

You mean the kind of "development" which is full of double standards? Will you be happy with a gay couple who are turned straight in a reboot, or a white Black Panther?
Lurking NSG since 2005

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Postby Uiiop » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:01 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Uiiop wrote:So it's basically "I don't like thing so they must be fake fans being bigots."

More like "any criticism of this movie is by istaphobe manbaby incels even if they're women".

As shown in the video, there's a pretty formulaic attitude which births these movies.

"The whole reason it was a reboot was because they didn't want to fuck with the canon."
Then why did some of the cast get so victimised when the canon stops mentioning them?

Sounds like a coward when you're fine with being mobbed in the UK thread. What? Are stans just going to log in and make things worse?

Did I miss something? I was discussing employment economics with two or three other posters. I disagree with Fartsniffage but Nilokeras has given a very constructive and thoughtful reply. I don't see how this is being "mobbed" or how it's relevant to this thread.

I just confused with that's so bad about saying Ghostbusters 2016.

It's not like being formulaic is in itself a bad thing nor even if is like in this case it's a sign of being sincere. The shitty formula is just shitty hollywood comedy not an "woke" one and that's the only example you've got and it doesn't even fit for previous stated reasons. The girls were idiots and even if it focused on male dicks and idiots part of their problem with them are caused by their own recklessness(Murray character in particular.)

There's an difference between not messing with the original character lives/ setting and just wanting an mention Even if one who wants the latter is overtly offended that doesn't make their reasoning to avoid the former insincere.

Edit: The Star wars sequels also doesn't count. LMAO
Last edited by Uiiop on Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#NSTransparency

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Postby Uiiop » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:12 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Vassenor wrote:So we’re doing the “stop giving existing characters development that makes their sexuality not what I assumed it was” thing then.

You mean the kind of "development" which is full of double standards? Will you be happy with a gay couple who are turned straight in a reboot, or a white Black Panther?

It already happened and no one cared. :P
Well biracial so not really.
Last edited by Uiiop on Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#NSTransparency

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:13 pm

Uiiop wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

Then why did some of the cast get so victimised when the canon stops mentioning them?

I just confused with that's so bad about saying Ghostbusters 2016.

It's not like being formulaic is in itself a bad thing nor even if is like in this case it's a sign of being sincere. The shitty formula is just shitty hollywood comedy not an "woke" one and that's the only example you've got and it doesn't even fit for previous stated reasons. The girls were idiots and even if it focused on male dicks and idiots part of their problem with them are caused by their own recklessness(Murray character in particular.)

There's an difference between not messing with the original character lives/ setting and just wanting an mention Even if one who wants the latter is overtly offended that doesn't make their reasoning to avoid the former insincere.

Indeed being formulaic isn't always bad, but it is bad when the component parts lead to a bad film and then refuse to fix said bad parts because the agenda train has no breaks.

As for francaises, I'm thinking more of things like Dr Who, Star Trek, He Man and Star Wa..pfff just saw the edit :P

Uiiop wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

It already happened and no one cared.

Cool, let's make it the next Black Panther movie. I'm sure Twitter will love it.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:15 pm

Here’s a revolutionary idea: stop treating cishet as the default and thus that characters must be cishet until proven otherwise.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Postby Uiiop » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:18 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Uiiop wrote:I just confused with that's so bad about saying Ghostbusters 2016.

Indeed being formulaic isn't always bad, but it is bad when the component parts lead to a bad film and then refuse to fix said bad parts because the agenda train has no breaks.

As for francaises, I'm thinking more of things like Dr Who, Star Trek, He Man and Star Wa..pfff just saw the edit :P

Cool, let's make it the next Black Panther movie. I'm sure Twitter will love it.

People just saw chicks and got mad. It has nothing to do with the actual reasons the movie sucked and it would have the same problems if they were all dudes in the first place.

Also asserting examples without explanations or proof is just shit arguing. Star trek for all it's faults doesn't fit your formula and neither does star wars. And it's absurd to state that an show literally called he-man is a part of it.

I think the closest mainstream movie that fits your argument is aquamen but that exist in context of an universe that's distinctly not that.
Last edited by Uiiop on Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#NSTransparency

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:21 pm

Vassenor wrote:Here’s a revolutionary idea: stop treating cishet as the default and thus that characters must be cishet until proven otherwise.

Actually I thought that Catradora works very well both as a plot device* and as a believable couple, it's more the agendered baggage with aforementioned double-standards which raises red flags.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:34 pm

Uiiop wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

People just saw chicks and got mad. It has nothing to do with the actual reasons the movie sucked and it would have the same problems if they were all dudes in the first place.

And when fans pointed out said actual reasons, they were then called misogynistic incels even if they're female fans.

Also asserting examples without explanations or proof is just shit arguing. Star trek for all it's fault doesn't fit your formula and neither does star wars. And it's absurd to state that an show literally called he-man is a part of it.

I've already linked to the video, though granted that one was more of an overview of a wider problem rather than a deep review of each francaise.

Star Trek Discovery attributes the story's successes to one Mary Sue character while belittling/tarnishing the legacies of older characters and turning white males into villains or idiots.

Dr Who- basically the same thing.

He Man- turned He Man into a minor killed-off character in his own show, which aside from the politics was also just plain false advertising. They didn't even get the female character right as she was turned into another self-centered Mary Sue.

Mulan- Not exactly 'woke' but it is more Mary Sueism. No gradual earned build-up of skills and showing that regular women can be inspiring; instead just giving her superpowers from the first scene because why not? It's not as if the training scenes were the best part of the original film or anything..
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:50 pm

Vassenor wrote:Here’s a revolutionary idea: stop treating cishet as the default and thus that characters must be cishet until proven otherwise.

Cishet should be the default if most people fall into that category by default. Do many people truly want to see a LGBT centered show or one with such a protagonist? This Hollywood trend of putting in queer or non-binary characters just for the sake of it, is really outrageous to me. Its a culture war the right isn't winning to enough of an extent.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Postby Uiiop » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:51 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Uiiop wrote:People just saw chicks and got mad. It has nothing to do with the actual reasons the movie sucked and it would have the same problems if they were all dudes in the first place.

And when fans pointed out said actual reasons, they were then called misogynistic incels even if they're female fans.

Also asserting examples without explanations or proof is just shit arguing. Star trek for all it's fault doesn't fit your formula and neither does star wars. And it's absurd to state that an show literally called he-man is a part of it.

I've already linked to the video, though granted that one was more of an overview of a wider problem rather than a deep review of each francaise.

Star Trek Discovery attributes the story's successes to one Mary Sue character while belittling/tarnishing the legacies of older characters and turning white males into villains or idiots.

He Man- turned He Man into a minor killed-off character in his own show, which aside from the politics was also just plain false advertising. They didn't even get the female character right as she was turned into another self-centered Mary Sue.

Mulan- Not exactly 'woke' but it is more Mary Sueism. No gradual earned build-up of skills and showing that regular women can be inspiring; instead just giving her superpowers from the first scene because why not? It's not as if the training scenes were the best part of the original film or anything..

The wikipedia episode list literally contradicts what you're saying. Unless Adora is an different character from she-ra and she died in the first season.
Dr who literally just has the same problems it had when the mary sue was a marty sue and discovery is just dumb execution of it's intentionally grating character rather than thinking anyone's perfect IIRC she was supposed to suck.

As for mulan: China ain't woke and it has the opposite problem of what you think it was.

The fact stans were mean to critics has nothing to do with the creator's fault. Hollywood doesn't really take feedback like you want it too even if it didn't have an "Agenda"(which it didn't) and doesn't control it's stans. So this is an really weird thing to blame the artist for. Like do you actually think people just change because an trailer which lies sucked or that there's changes post-release beyond director's cut. That's not how that world works.

No one really has an consistent hang on this kind of issue not even politicians.

For someone salty at people with agenda pissing on the past you seem to ignore the past when how both these creators actually respect the past and suck it's full dick in what they're doing. Even if what happens isn't actually an good thing it doesn't mean they're just having an agenda.

I mean the edgelord kevin smith just killed someone for feminist cred? Get real.
Last edited by Uiiop on Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
#NSTransparency

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:51 pm

Identity politics is when they make the tv show be different from my toys.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:45 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:Star Trek Discovery attributes the story's successes to one Mary Sue character while belittling/tarnishing the legacies of older characters and turning white males into villains or idiots.

...Did we watch the same shows? Because I never got that impression from either one.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

The Kingdom of the Three Isles
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 01, 2021
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Kingdom of the Three Isles » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:54 am

We should just normalise all this. I know that this is breaking barriers, but to fully achieve equality, we shouldn't just make a huge fuss just because Superman's son happens to likes boys and girls both.
Last edited by The Kingdom of the Three Isles on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
No, this is not the Iron Cross (I swear), and no I ain’t a N@zi.
Ordo Theutonicorum wrote: they have a cross-pattee on their flag??
Those who say they are based aren’t based. Those who say they are humble ain’t humble. Those who say they are chads ain’t chads.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:03 pm

Uiiop wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

The wikipedia episode list literally contradicts what you're saying. Unless Adora is an different character from she-ra and she died in the first season.
Dr who literally just has the same problems it had when the mary sue was a marty sue and discovery is just dumb execution of it's intentionally grating character rather than thinking anyone's perfect IIRC she was supposed to suck.

As for mulan: China ain't woke and it has the opposite problem of what you think it was.

I meant Teela. She's supposed to be the new main character* that we're supposed to like as an admirable, heroic person and yet she unironically complains at He-Man for having the audacity to die and leave people behind after his death; like an animated version of Hilary Clinton's "women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat".

*again not sure why she's the main character when it was sold as a He-Man show, as in an actual direct He-Man show rather than a spin-off like She-ra.

The fact stans were mean to critics has nothing to do with the creator's fault. Hollywood doesn't really take feedback like you want it too even if it didn't have an "Agenda"(which it didn't) and doesn't control it's stans. So this is an really weird thing to blame the artist for. Like do you actually think people just change because an trailer which lies sucked or that there's changes post-release beyond director's cut. That's not how that world works.

With these shows and others like it there's members of the production cast and crew who come out with this garbage. As with Ghostbusters 2016, five years on Melissa McCarthy still can't get over the "toxic fandom" (people who don't think her movie was perfect and dared to criticise).

For someone salty at people with agenda pissing on the past you seem to ignore the past when how both these creators actually respect the past and suck it's full dick in what they're doing. Even if what happens isn't actually an good thing it doesn't mean they're just having an agenda.

You mean how William Hartnell's Doctor is no longer the first? Or how Star Wars fans had to wait for a small scene in The Mandalorian to actually get a decent Luke Skywalker scene? Or How the Ghostbusters 2016 cast & shills are still salty at it being practically de-canoned even though they apparently never wanted to change the canon?

I mean the edgelord kevin smith just killed someone for feminist cred? Get real.

I don't know what his reasons were, but regardless it was a bait-and-switch trick on the fans.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:37 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:Or how Star Wars fans had to wait for a small scene in The Mandalorian to actually get a decent Luke Skywalker scene?

Wait, are you seriously complaining that the show tried to stand on its own rather than relying on fanservice?

SD_Film Artists wrote: You mean how William Hartnell's Doctor is no longer the first?

Newsflash: retcons happen all the time.
Last edited by Vassenor on Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:05 pm

Vassenor wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:Or how Star Wars fans had to wait for a small scene in The Mandalorian to actually get a decent Luke Skywalker scene?

Wait, are you seriously complaining that the show tried to stand on its own rather than relying on fanservice?

By 'stand on its own' you mean relying on Mary Sue tropes?

SD_Film Artists wrote: You mean how William Hartnell's Doctor is no longer the first?

Retcons aren't automatically bad but one can't claim to be respecting the past while shitting all over it; especially when 'throw away the past' (hint hint let's purposely disapoint those silly incel fans, hint nudge nudge) is becoming an increasingly common trope.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:07 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Retcons aren't automatically bad, but one can't claim to be respecting the past while shitting all over it.

Apparently Din is a Mary Sue now. Huh.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:11 pm

Vassenor wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

Retcons aren't automatically bad, but one can't claim to be respecting the past while shitting all over it.

Ray. Like Mulan, she didn't require any training that her forebears did; she was just immediately The Chosen One™, along with the other aspects of lazy writing which comes with that trope.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:13 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Ray. Like Mulan, she didn't require any training that her forebears did; she was just immediately The Chosen One™, along with the other aspects of lazy writing which comes with that trope.

Right then. First of all you were talking about The Mandalorian and complaining that it didn’t give you enough fanservice, and now you’re ignoring both times we’re shown Rey training in the films among other things. By this logic Luke and Anakin are both examples of a Mary Sue because we’re never shown them training to fly that specific straighter before they use it to save the day like they’re an expert at flying it.
Last edited by Vassenor on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General