NATION

PASSWORD

100 million dollars for 1,000 Years of No Abortions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

100 million dollars for 1,000 Years of No Abortions

Yes (I need the money, I can use it to make things better)
46%
No (Some things shouldn't be sold)
54%

Total votes : 187

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:05 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:Answered yes because whilst we would all like to think we would say no if you actually had that much money sat in front of you with no personal strings attached and nobody would know would you really actually say no? Most people's threshold for grabbing the money is significantly below one hundred million.

It's like all the people that would have done the Russian revolution without the death and how 100% of people would have resisted the Nazis or how everybody pretends they would be the three people that first campaigned against slavery. No you wouldn't be, you would fall foul of all the same pitfalls the people back then did and you would be at a very minimum complicit in the oppression by inactivity.

You are taking the money if it was real.

Bullshit, you don't speak for me, nor for anyone else who refused money for immoral acts. How do you explain their existence?
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:06 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Force women to remain pregnant (if they were raped, or were the victims of incest, or if they couldn't afford a/another child) -- literally selling women's bodily autonomy -- for money? No fucking way.

It would be repulsive.

Infected Mushroom wrote:The most important factor here is that the ban on abortions wouldn't be permanent (it's only for 1,000 years)

"Only 1000" years.

In other words, 28 consecutive generations (one generation is 20-30 years). That's a lot of women who get fucked over.

None of the good the money bought with the betrayal of those women may hope to do could ever outweigh that damage (considering that billions have currently failed to prevent unwanted pregnancy and fix the broken foster care system)

Yes this.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:07 am

Comerciante wrote:No one here is proclaiming to be beacons of morality. Although there are clearly people proclaiming to be beacons of amoral assholery.

All anyone is saying is that this a line to far for a sum to small.

"I won't sell my parents for money, they are the world to me."

"How dare you proclaim to be a beacon of morality! Everybody is the same, they will sell their parents for money when they are not held accountable for it!"

Moral nihilism is destructive.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:09 am

What's the catch? I'm opposed to abortion (except in genuinely life-threatening situations) and I could really do with the 100 million, especially with how fast inflation is rising in my part of the world.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:10 am

The Republic of Fore wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:Answered yes because whilst we would all like to think we would say no if you actually had that much money sat in front of you with no personal strings attached and nobody would know would you really actually say no? Most people's threshold for grabbing the money is significantly below one hundred million.

It's like all the people that would have done the Russian revolution without the death and how 100% of people would have resisted the Nazis or how everybody pretends they would be the three people that first campaigned against slavery. No you wouldn't be, you would fall foul of all the same pitfalls the people back then did and you would be at a very minimum complicit in the oppression by inactivity.

Also this, but people on the internet love to act like beacons of morality. Humans suck, the university I went to for undergrad had to create an amnesty policy for underage drinking at parties. Why? Because a bunch of students watched a girl die of alcohol poisoning and didn't call for help out of fear they'd get in trouble. Yet I bet if you asked every one of them would claim they're totally brave enough to save a life.

Everyone -- or most everyone (I have met one person who didn't) -- has lines they wouldn't cross for any amount of money. This happens to be one of mine.

I am not saying that caring strongly about this one thing makes me less flawed than every other human being on the planet.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:11 am

Comerciante wrote:No one here is proclaiming to be beacons of morality. Although there are clearly people proclaiming to be beacons of amoral assholery.

Are you saying I should increase the reward?

I want to keep it balanced (so some people would say yes while others no and be able to argue it)

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:12 am

My understanding is that 100 million is quite a lot. I completely understand what you're saying.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:13 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

I want to keep it balanced (so some people would say yes while others no and be able to argue it)

I could argue against it if it was one billion, ten billion, or one trillion.

I do not have the right to remove the bodily sovereignty of 28 generations of women -- leave them to suffer pregnancies as the result of rape or pregnancies with children they cannot raise -- for my own whims.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Comerciante
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Comerciante » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:14 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

I'm in the camp that firmly believes that their is no sum of money that would make this okay.

But you would likely get more people voting yes if you did indeed increase the amount. I don't fall under the illusion that some people are fully willing to sacrifice the plight of others for the right price.
"Rumors of CFC affiliates building superweapons in orbit over Earth is fake news. Watch groups have corroborated this even though it would be to quote the BoD "totally rad."

#00: "The first step to acquiring real power, is to learn how to steal it from someone else, the second step is learning how to keep it the third step is to restart from the first step."
"Good and Evil are Two Tall Trees sitting upon a hill, the Tree of Good is Strong and Tall and does not bend, the Tree of Evil is Short and Flimsy when the wind blows Good resists, and breaks and falls on the floor and dies and Evil? well, it bends and it lives."

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:15 am

However, no one would know the real reason you were paid.

This is a bit of a cop out.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:16 am

The New California Republic wrote:

Yes, really -- to make it truly balanced -- generations of women should know who to blame for their suffering.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:20 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Yes, really -- to make it truly balanced -- generations of women should know who to blame for their suffering.

Anyone that suddenly won't accept the money because everyone will find out has shit morals. I won't do this travesty simply for money, being detected or not.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:20 am

I mean... I've read worse hypotheticals.

I don't know if that's true but I hope it is.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:21 am

The Free Joy State wrote:

Yes, really -- to make it truly balanced -- generations of women should know who to blame for their suffering.

Becoming a pariah should be a condition of getting the money, as otherwise the pro-birth crowd have no real gamble in this scenario: they bet nothing, roll the dice and get a guaranteed payout.

Wave on, wave on

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:23 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Yes, really -- to make it truly balanced -- generations of women should know who to blame for their suffering.

Becoming a pariah should be a condition of getting the money, as otherwise the pro-birth crowd have no real gamble in this scenario: they bet nothing, roll the dice and get a guaranteed payout.

IKR. All but banning abortion and get a huge amount of money with no consequences, and getting to give women who try to abort punitive punishments (in the form of "curses"). Where exactly is the downside for those who want to ban abortion anyway?
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:29 am

I am anti abortion except to protect the life of the mother to begin with.

Time for hookers and cocaine, lots of hookers and cocaine
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:29 am

Being wealthy causes that already. The minute you don't want to give your fourth cousin twice removed a "business loan" everyone starts complaining about how selfish you are.

Comerciante
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Comerciante » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:31 am

The Republic of Fore wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Becoming a pariah should be a condition of getting the money, as otherwise the pro-birth crowd have no real gamble in this scenario: they bet nothing, roll the dice and get a guaranteed payout.

Being wealthy causes that already. The minute you don't want to give your fourth cousin twice removed a "business loan" everyone starts complaining about how selfish you are.

To be fair your going to have a lot bigger problems than becoming a pariah for being rich.

Your also going to have to find some way to launder all your money before the IRS decide to kick your shit in first for not paying them their hush money.
"Rumors of CFC affiliates building superweapons in orbit over Earth is fake news. Watch groups have corroborated this even though it would be to quote the BoD "totally rad."

#00: "The first step to acquiring real power, is to learn how to steal it from someone else, the second step is learning how to keep it the third step is to restart from the first step."
"Good and Evil are Two Tall Trees sitting upon a hill, the Tree of Good is Strong and Tall and does not bend, the Tree of Evil is Short and Flimsy when the wind blows Good resists, and breaks and falls on the floor and dies and Evil? well, it bends and it lives."

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:32 am

Ethel mermania wrote:I am anti abortion except to protect the life of the mother to begin with.

A copy of this page is winging it's way to Mrs. Mermania. Enjoy your 50 million dollars. :p

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:36 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:I am anti abortion except to protect the life of the mother to begin with.

A copy of this page is winging it's way to Mrs. Mermania. Enjoy your 50 million dollars. :p

:)

She is on your side on this one. As my price is 15 million, I am still ahead of the game.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:39 am

Comerciante wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Being wealthy causes that already. The minute you don't want to give your fourth cousin twice removed a "business loan" everyone starts complaining about how selfish you are.

To be fair your going to have a lot bigger problems than becoming a pariah for being rich.

Your also going to have to find some way to launder all your money before the IRS decide to kick your shit in first for not paying them their hush money.

Eh a few well timed bribes can solve that problem.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:47 am

Of course I'd choose the money, I'm a male so I don't care if a great portion of womankind has to suffer on my account, when the money will help me further than most things. I bet if I had that amount that it'd grow to a trillion or so if I had the benefit of living for over 1,000 years when this expires. Would be quite the investor.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

My Political Fantasy
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 10, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby My Political Fantasy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:55 am

What disturbing person came up with this thought experiment? Billions of future women will suffer just because I took the money.
A combination of the neutrality of Switzerland, the military capabilities of Israel, and the authoritarian governance of Russia.
I like to complain about bad governments are people halfway across the world, but I prefer that anyone except me deal with them.
The official themesong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbkqE4fpvdI

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:00 am

My Political Fantasy wrote:What disturbing person came up with this thought experiment? Billions of future women will suffer just because I took the money.

What's even more disturbing is that there are actual posters in the thread that would willingly take the money and have the audacity to accuse others of being moralists. This "Fuck you, I got mine" mentality is self-destructive.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:01 am

So they're going to give me 100 million dollars for something I want to happen?
Is only 1 thousand year period of no abortions legal or could I get 200 million for 2000 years if I wanted?
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General