NATION

PASSWORD

100 million dollars for 1,000 Years of No Abortions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

100 million dollars for 1,000 Years of No Abortions

Yes (I need the money, I can use it to make things better)
46%
No (Some things shouldn't be sold)
54%

Total votes : 187

Universil-Unoyz Wintarros
Attaché

Founded: Aug 31, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Universil-Unoyz Wintarros » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:02 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Universil-Unoyz Wintarros wrote:A win win. The sacrifice is negligible, two good things happen and one bad thing happens
Good: no abortion for a millenium and I am rich. Bad: rape and incest cannot be aborted.

For you, the sacrifice is "negligible". For the women and girls whose lives will be destroyed as a result of your decision... not so much. Nor for the women who will be unable to leave abusive partners due to being forced to remain pregnant.

Would you still have made the same choice if everyone who had to suffer for a thousand years knew that the reason was because you -- personally (as in knew your name and where you lived) -- opted to take money to take their rights away?

EDIT: I ask because some feel that anonymity imbalances the taking the money side, giving it no apparent negative for pro-lifers (unless The Lone Alliance is right, and it turns out that you do help bring about the birth of Satan).

Rape and incest etc. make up a minority of abortions, something like 1-2% of them in the US if i remember correctly.
What I personally vouch for (reverting back to hunting and foraging etc.) would be significantly more unfair, in that uncommon statistic occurrences such as above are not accounted for.

Are these rare cases unfair? Certainly.
Do I personally believe they ought to hinder the broad benefit? No.

Though if this debacle were less strict, I would have it so that these occurrences were accounted for.
~Factbook Directory~

Federal Intergalactic Empire.
UUW manifests as heretical transmissions are interpreted. More is to be added.
Tsarus/Tsarus, 2142

Novostia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Novostia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:05 pm

I’m neutral on the issue as it doesn’t effect me so I’ll take the money and leave, the planet would have been inhospitable due to global warming or humanity might have succumbed to nuclear war by then anyway
I'm So Funny For Being Insufferable! Please Laugh.
90% Of What I Say Is Propaganda, Don't Trust Me
The Suspicious 2 Year Gap In My Activity On This Website Is Due To Me Quitting And CTE'ing, I Have Since Returned (Duh)

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:22 pm

Does this include the morning after pill and does it affect birth control? Define abortion. Is there a point when a miscarriage or an induced miscarriage is not an abortion. When is the point where a fertilized egg is considered abortion?

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:31 pm

Definitely not. If I wanted to do something horrible for my own selfish desires, I'd just make a film adaption of any one of the terrible fan fiction based off of Ayn Rand's books.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Japerlasa
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Japerlasa » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:43 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:Answered yes because whilst we would all like to think we would say no if you actually had that much money sat in front of you with no personal strings attached and nobody would know would you really actually say no? Most people's threshold for grabbing the money is significantly below one hundred million.

It's like all the people that would have done the Russian revolution without the death and how 100% of people would have resisted the Nazis or how everybody pretends they would be the three people that first campaigned against slavery. No you wouldn't be, you would fall foul of all the same pitfalls the people back then did and you would be at a very minimum complicit in the oppression by inactivity.

You are taking the money if it was real.

This.

And what's even the point of this question? To villainize honest people? This isn't something you just ask randomly for the sake of it.
Proudly uses the rotting corpse that is NS Stats!

One person will be sent into space for every time my name gets misspelled as "Jasperlasa".

People in space: 6

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:48 am

Japerlasa wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:Answered yes because whilst we would all like to think we would say no if you actually had that much money sat in front of you with no personal strings attached and nobody would know would you really actually say no? Most people's threshold for grabbing the money is significantly below one hundred million.

It's like all the people that would have done the Russian revolution without the death and how 100% of people would have resisted the Nazis or how everybody pretends they would be the three people that first campaigned against slavery. No you wouldn't be, you would fall foul of all the same pitfalls the people back then did and you would be at a very minimum complicit in the oppression by inactivity.

You are taking the money if it was real.

This.

And what's even the point of this question? To villainize honest people? This isn't something you just ask randomly for the sake of it.

the hypothetical is intended to engage with human nature

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:07 am

I think if I found out that we're all trapped in a gibberish world of nonsensical magical curses, I wouldn't give a fuck about abortions anymore. What would even be the point of caring about such things if you lived in a world where, at any moment, some random guy can be magically offered a jillion dollars by mysterious forces to completely fuck society upside down?

You might as well take the money and enjoy what time you have, because who knows what the next guy is going to be offered.
Last edited by Nimzonia on Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:22 am

Nimzonia wrote:I think if I found out that we're all trapped in a gibberish world of nonsensical magical curses, I wouldn't give a fuck about abortions anymore. What would even be the point of caring about such things if you lived in a world where, at any moment, some random guy can be magically offered a jillion dollars by mysterious forces to completely fuck society upside down?

You might as well take the money and enjoy what time you have, because who knows what the next guy is going to be offered.

It can be a bit unstable yes

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:45 am

Nimzonia wrote:I think if I found out that we're all trapped in a gibberish world of nonsensical magical curses, I wouldn't give a fuck about abortions anymore. What would even be the point of caring about such things if you lived in a world where, at any moment, some random guy can be magically offered a jillion dollars by mysterious forces to completely fuck society upside down?

On the other hand, if this is a world of curses, then surely there would be an opposite number who could cancel the curse. All I need is eight trusted companions and a wise old wizard who wishes to thwart the evil sprite so keen to control and curse people, and a long quest that shall be recorded for the ages.

We shall call this epic journey: Lord of the Contraceptive Rings.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:48 am

Japerlasa wrote:And what's even the point of this question? To villainize honest people? This isn't something you just ask randomly for the sake of it.

And as I mentioned before, the scenario is very one-sided, making it useless from the perspective of some people:

The New California Republic wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Yes, really -- to make it truly balanced -- generations of women should know who to blame for their suffering.

Becoming a pariah should be a condition of getting the money, as otherwise the pro-birth crowd have no real gamble in this scenario: they bet nothing, roll the dice and get a guaranteed payout.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:30 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Japerlasa wrote:And what's even the point of this question? To villainize honest people? This isn't something you just ask randomly for the sake of it.

And as I mentioned before, the scenario is very one-sided, making it useless from the perspective of some people:

The New California Republic wrote:Becoming a pariah should be a condition of getting the money, as otherwise the pro-birth crowd have no real gamble in this scenario: they bet nothing, roll the dice and get a guaranteed payout.

They risk making the world a worse place. The social effects resulting from the new magical rules would also affect them. They also have things to lose.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:33 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:And as I mentioned before, the scenario is very one-sided, making it useless from the perspective of some people:

They risk making the world a worse place. The social effects resulting from the new magical rules would also affect them. They also have things to lose.

If someone is an ardent pro-lifer who believes abortions are a negative thing -- regardless of the situation -- they have nothing to lose.

People choosing to take the money have said that they consider it "win-win". The reasoning behind this is explained here:
Mercatus wrote:Fuck yes. Get some cash AND make baby murder impossible? I'll take it, and then ask that entity to renew this contract every millenium.

With this kind of deal, I can buy cool shit and have a clear conscience that my tax dollars don't go to fund the killing of innocent children.

EDIT: Also, Ethel -- below -- explains the reason why there is no downside pretty well.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:34 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:And as I mentioned before, the scenario is very one-sided, making it useless from the perspective of some people:

If I believe abortion is murder, I have nothing to lose by taking 100 million to guarantee no baby gets murdered for the next 1000 years.

In fact I might be willing to pay for that outcome, but that would make this a xeno thread
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:36 am

Obviously the pro-lifers will get a kick out of this hypothetical, so IM, why don't you make the next one with the reverse outcome? :)
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:37 am

Picairn wrote:Obviously the pro-lifers will get a kick out of this hypothetical, so IM, why don't you make the next one with the reverse outcome? :)

I wouldn't take money to end all pregnancies with abortion either. A woman should have the right to choose.

However, it would be interesting to see how many people would take 100 million for 1000 years of no conceptions. Hey, it's only for 1000 years. What's the worst that could happen? :p

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:39 am

I think it's time to call the SCP Foundation.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:45 am

On the other hand, if this is a world of curses, then surely there would be an opposite number who could cancel the curse. All I need is eight trusted companions and a wise old wizard who wishes to thwart the evil sprite so keen to control and curse people, and a long quest that shall be recorded for the ages.

We shall call this epic journey: Lord of the Contraceptive Rings.

You have my condom
And my pill
and my diaphragm
The Blaatschapen should resign

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:45 am

Picairn wrote:Obviously the pro-lifers will get a kick out of this hypothetical, so IM, why don't you make the next one with the reverse outcome? :)

I wouldn't take money to end all pregnancies with abortion either. A woman should have the right to choose.

However, it would be interesting to see how many people would take 100 million for 1000 years of no conceptions. Hey, it's only for 1000 years. What's the worst that could happen? :p

Thats a different game though, an interesting one though.

How much of a bribe do you need to extinguish human life in 3 generations?
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:47 am

Not sheep taking over the world.

Wait...

I am totally not the magical entity.
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:51 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:I wouldn't take money to end all pregnancies with abortion either. A woman should have the right to choose.

Thats a different game though, an interesting one though.

How much of a bribe do you need to extinguish human life in 3 generations?

It is an interesting hypothetical. Would be one for it's own thread, of course.
The Blaatschapen wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:I wouldn't take money to end all pregnancies with abortion either. A woman should have the right to choose.

Not sheep taking over the world.

Wait...

I am totally not the magical entity.

I believe you. Thousands wouldn't. :p
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:56 am

What’s the reverse option set up?

100 million dollars to make all attempted abortions completely safe, free and magic-assisted?
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:57 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:What’s the reverse option set up?

100 million dollars to make all attempted abortion completely safe, free and magic-assisted?

Throw in all abortion bans and restrictions across the world lifted as well, and you got a nice little hypothetical. :)
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:58 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

100 million dollars to make all attempted abortions completely safe, free and magic-assisted?

Take money? I'd pay for that!

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:59 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

All births end in miscarriage for 100 years.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:01 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

All births end in miscarriage for 100 years.

Way to give that artificial womb technology unlimited funding.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General