NATION

PASSWORD

Should Hunting for Sport be Banned?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:55 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:There's no reason to impose that restriction upon yourself besides this idea of "sportsmanship", which I find irrelevant if it causes needless suffering.

It's necessary suffering for the dignity of the animal, the hunter, and the sport.

What dignity? There is no dignity in needlessly suffering over a sport. None, whatsoever. Dignity is maintained when suffering is minimized or eliminated. Not by prolonging it.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:59 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:There's no reason to impose that restriction upon yourself besides this idea of "sportsmanship", which I find irrelevant if it causes needless suffering.

It's necessary suffering for the dignity of the animal, the hunter, and the sport.

This dignity you speak of sounds more and more like sadism.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:00 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Sundiata wrote:It's necessary suffering for the dignity of the animal, the hunter, and the sport.

This dignity you speak of sounds more and more like sadism.

It is sadism, I'm afraid.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:06 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Nothing comparable to what any human being goes through.

????

Complete non sequitur.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:06 pm

Sundiata wrote:

That's fucked up bro.
Last edited by Borderlands of Rojava on Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:06 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:My thoughts precisely.

No, Sun is fine with inflicting suffering upon animals for sport without following up to end that suffering.

Only if my shot doesn't kill the animal I am hunting at the first go.

Just so I am getting this. You take a shot, it hits, the animal runs off and you are ok with that?
I may not be the most compassionate or empathic towards game, at least I'm of mind to make sure the animal wouldn't suffer, with either a quick follow up shot, or track it down and put it out of it's misery.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:08 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Kernen wrote:
Why does the opportunity to escape make hunting less cruel? By that metric, farmed meat is the height of cruelty, as it provides no opportunity to escape.

Hunting is primarily a question of utility. A semi automatic rifle limits animal suffering by allowing rapid adjustment for a bad shot.

Hunting for sport is not a question of utility. It's fine if an animal suffers as long as it lives. If one's shot is bad, practice the shot.

No it is not okay for an animal to suffer. What the actual fuck Sundiata, in what world is animal suffering fucking alright?

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:08 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Only if my shot doesn't kill the animal I am hunting at the first go.

Just so I am getting this. You take a shot, it hits, the animal runs off and you are ok with that?
I may not be the most compassionate or empathic towards game, at least I'm of mind to make sure the animal wouldn't suffer, with either a quick follow up shot, or track it down and put it out of it's misery.

That's exactly what he's okay with. It's fucking depraved.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:09 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Sundiata wrote:It's necessary suffering for the dignity of the animal, the hunter, and the sport.

What dignity? There is no dignity in suffering. None, whatsoever. Dignity is maintained when suffering is minimized or eliminated. Not by prolonging it.

There is dignity in suffering. It's a necessary part of life for all creatures. Dignity is not maintained in eliminating suffering but persevering through it.

The poorest way to face life is to face it with disgust. There is nothing honorable about cynicism. If an animal can persist at life limping about with a bullet in its side then I must give it credit. I give it credit for persisting. That's a high achievement for any animal, to know victory, and if it dies, defeat.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:10 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:What dignity? There is no dignity in suffering. None, whatsoever. Dignity is maintained when suffering is minimized or eliminated. Not by prolonging it.

There is dignity in suffering. It's a necessary part of life for all creatures. Dignity is not maintained in eliminating suffering but persevering through it.

The poorest way to face life is to face it with disgust. There is nothing honorable about cynicism. If an animal can persist at life limping about with a bullet in its side then I must give it credit. I give it credit for persisting. That's a high achievement for any animal, to know victory, and if it dies, defeat.

Wow sundiata. You're really admitting to supporting animal cruelty.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:11 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:Sure, but my goal is to kill with the first shot. If I am unable I will follow-up, and ensure the animal suffers for the least amount of time.

Yes, I think we can all agree that's best.

But that's not really different from what Sun's saying.

It is, though, in that Sundiata is suggesting that a wounded animal NOT be put out of its misery in the name of it being more sporting that way.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:11 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:What dignity? There is no dignity in suffering. None, whatsoever. Dignity is maintained when suffering is minimized or eliminated. Not by prolonging it.

Nope, nope, and nope. You've succeeded in stunning both thrill hunters and sustenance hunters with your takes here.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:13 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Sundiata wrote:There is dignity in suffering. It's a necessary part of life for all creatures. Dignity is not maintained in eliminating suffering but persevering through it.

It's not cruel to let the creature live if I fail to kill it. It's mercy.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:15 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:Not in my eyes. That's vile.

It's not vile, we're literally better than them. If the targeted animal escapes then it's all in good fun.

Give me a break. It's hunters like you that give the rest of us a bad name. I bet you're the kind of guy who spotlights deer, too, because that's all in good fun.

It's a sport. That means there are rules. Play by the rules and don't cheat. Part of those rules is that if you shoot some critter and it gets away, you have an obligation to pursue and finish it off rather than let the meat go to waste.

If you shoot animals without taking the time to ensure they are properly dealt with you aren't hunting any more, you're just shooting.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:16 pm

Sundiata wrote:

No, mercy is killing the animal to put it out of suffering that it did not do anything to deserve
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:17 pm

Sundiata wrote:

The creature usually bleeds out and dies anyway later on. It's not like they can dress their wound or somehow staunch the bleeding.

If death is truly inevitable, prolonging the suffering involved in that death is not mercy.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:17 pm

Sundiata wrote:

The thing is you don't know if it's going to live once it's gone from your view and depending on the shot placement, it could run off 200-300yrds and expire. IMO, I'd track that shit down as that's a kill and food for the table.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:25 pm

Krasny-Volny wrote:
Sundiata wrote:It's not vile, we're literally better than them. If the targeted animal escapes then it's all in good fun.

Give me a break. It's hunters like you that give the rest of us a bad name. I bet you're the kind of guy who spotlights deer, too, because that's all in good fun.

It's a sport. That means there are rules. Play by the rules and don't cheat. Part of those rules is that if you shoot some critter and it gets away, you have an obligation to pursue and finish it off rather than let the meat go to waste.

If you shoot animals without taking the time to ensure they are properly dealt with you aren't hunting any more, you're just shooting.

If you can't kill the target after pursuing it, then it's morally okay. It got away and it deserves credit for escaping. I'm not saying that anyone should enjoy losing.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:27 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Krasny-Volny wrote:

If you can't kill the target after pursuing it, then it's morally okay. It got away and it deserves credit for escaping.

Krasny-Volny wrote:
The creature usually bleeds out and dies anyway later on. It's not like they can dress their wound or somehow staunch the bleeding.

If death is truly inevitable, prolonging the suffering involved in that death is not mercy.

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ithalian Empire » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:28 pm

Seeing as the OP mentions the recent wolf hunt in Wisconsin and I happen to live in Wisconsin, this isn't our first wolf hunt. The DNR has them happen every once and a while to kull the wolf population before it gets to large and does to much harm to the state deer population. Our deer population is important because a large chunk of revenue is generated by the deer hunts. The fact of the matter is the wolves might have been reintroduced but they are no longer the only thing fulfilling the same niche within the environment.

I personally support the idea of hunting for sport. In the United States its regulated by the states, it helps keep the populations of these animals form getting out of control which is dangerous for both people and the animals themselves as they wonder into towns and cities in search of food. Oh, and overpopulation is a bitch to begin with.
Eat ,Drink, and be mary, for tomorrow we die.
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

The poster licks five public door handles a day to compare there taste.

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:39 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Krasny-Volny wrote:

If you can't kill the target after pursuing it, then it's morally okay. It got away and it deserves credit for escaping. I'm not saying that anyone should enjoy losing.

I don’t think you understand why hunters strive for quick kills. If you shoot an animal and it doesn’t die, then you need to hunt it down and swiftly end its life. Because the odds of it actually living are slim to none. And every moment it does live will be painful. Letting it run off isn’t being merciful, it’s being heartless.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:40 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Sundiata wrote:It's not cruel to let the creature live if I fail to kill it. It's mercy.

The thing is you don't know if it's going to live once it's gone from your view and depending on the shot placement, it could run off 200-300yrds and expire. IMO, I'd track that shit down as that's a kill and food for the table.

Sure, but it you fail to track it down after that first failed shot (assuming it was way off) it's morally okay to let the creature live and find a new target.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:43 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:The thing is you don't know if it's going to live once it's gone from your view and depending on the shot placement, it could run off 200-300yrds and expire. IMO, I'd track that shit down as that's a kill and food for the table.

Sure, but it you fail to track it down after that first failed shot (assuming it was way off) it's morally okay to let the creature live and find a new target.

Incorrect. You have a moral obligation to track it until it's no longer feasible to do.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:44 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Sure, but it you fail to track it down after that first failed shot (assuming it was way off) it's morally okay to let the creature live and find a new target.

Incorrect. You have a moral obligation to track it until it's no longer feasible to do.

Yes, until it's no longer feasible to do so, if it escapes that's fine. It suffered enough.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:45 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:The thing is you don't know if it's going to live once it's gone from your view and depending on the shot placement, it could run off 200-300yrds and expire. IMO, I'd track that shit down as that's a kill and food for the table.

No it isn’t.

Unnecessary suffering is morally bad. I don’t get why you need me to explain this, your religion doesn’t glorify in senseless pain or negligence.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General