NATION

PASSWORD

Should Hunting for Sport be Banned?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:07 pm

Shooting an animal that has had the chance to live free for pleasure is barbaric, but eating an animal that has only ever been in a cage for pleasure is fine.

And that's the genuine position most anti-hunting advocates find themselves in. But ask yourself this question, would you rather live free and maybe get shot or would you rather be born into a prison with the certainty of death?

I at least respect vegans who are against hunting as they have a consistent position. Those that rage against hunting and then go home and eat steak are the worst form of hypocrit I think it's possible to be.
Slava Ukraini

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:08 pm

The Marlborough wrote:It's worth noting that at one point you could go swimming in northern Australia but now it's basically impossible because the saltwater crocs have returned after hunting them was essentially banned. That's what happens when you don't control populations of dangerous animals.

Counter-argument: "Then humans shouldn't be swimming there"
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

The Disorder
Envoy

Founded: Nov 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Disorder » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:09 pm

No, hunting for sport should not be banned.

I do favor regulated hunting. Partially because history shows that we're a bit reckless when sustaining populations of creatures that we actually -like- eating. Partially also to reduce cruelty and suffering, so that hunted-animal-deaths are as instantaneously lethal & painless as possible.

Let's also not forget our place: Humans are the most successful predatory species in Earth's history. Nothing has ever existed on this planet that could compete with us. The only reason we don't hunt dinosaurs for fun is because the asteroid beat us to it.
Last edited by The Disorder on Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A secular destruction-cult, a rogue nation of space nomads, militarized mad scientists & anarchists.

NS Stats for The Disorder are not IC. These are.
A 4.333 civilization, according to this index.

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:09 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:It's worth noting that at one point you could go swimming in northern Australia but now it's basically impossible because the saltwater crocs have returned after hunting them was essentially banned. That's what happens when you don't control populations of dangerous animals.

Well tbf it's not just swimming but also doing things like laundry which for a lot of communities in the region helps saves cost because they are pretty poor iirc. IIRC the people that ended up getting fucked over the most were impoverished aborigines since they were using the rivers to fish, bathe, do laundry etc and now it's much harder if not impossible.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:10 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:

"Humans don't get to enjoy the environment, only large, predatory reptiles."
Last edited by Punished UMN on Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:10 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:Shooting an animal that has had the chance to live free for pleasure is barbaric, but eating an animal that has only ever been in a cage for pleasure is fine.

And that's the genuine position most anti-hunting advocates find themselves in. But ask yourself this question, would you rather live free and maybe get shot or would you rather be born into a prison with the certainty of death?

I at least respect vegans who are against hunting as they have a consistent position. Those that rage against hunting and then go home and eat steak are the worst form of hypocrit I think it's possible to be.

I agree. If you're eating meat, whether it's been farmed, hunted, or otherwise, you really don't have a leg to stand on in the antihunting issue. While I do generally disagree with vegans, at least they're practicing what they preach.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:10 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:Shooting an animal that has had the chance to live free for pleasure is barbaric, but eating an animal that has only ever been in a cage for pleasure is fine.

I at least respect vegans who are against hunting as they have a consistent position. Those that rage against hunting and then go home and eat steak are the worst form of hypocrite I think it's possible to be.

Excellently put. See, I don't like supporting the barbaric animal torture in meat factories and industrialized """farms""". I'd rather hunt, do the killing myself, do the effort to retrieve and prepare the meat myself. Certainly cheaper over the long-term, and you evade questionable additions post-slaughter that the companies inject into the meat.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:11 pm

The Marlborough wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:Counter-argument: "Then humans shouldn't be swimming there"

Well tbf it's not just swimming but also doing things like laundry which for a lot of communities in the region helps saves cost because they are pretty poor iirc. IIRC the people that ended up getting fucked over the most were impoverished aborigines since they were using the rivers to fish, bathe, do laundry etc and now it's much harder if not impossible.

Well people don't think that far ahead when they make decisions like the one you described.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:11 pm

Nilokeras wrote:In the absence of an ideal world where large predators can be re-introduced across their native range in North America hunting can be a valuable tool of population control for large ungulates and other herbivores that at the moment have few natural predators. Large predator hunts, on the other hand, which are almost solely done for trophies or entertainment rather than food, should be mostly banned as they serve no conservation purpose.

First Nations traditional hunting and foraging practices are also beneficial to maintain, as the total catch and impact even on large predators is usually low and is part of a suite of land management practices that indigenous peoples have maintained for millenia and that have proven to promote ecosystem stability.

They were good at not wasting their resources too.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:12 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:Well tbf it's not just swimming but also doing things like laundry which for a lot of communities in the region helps saves cost because they are pretty poor iirc. IIRC the people that ended up getting fucked over the most were impoverished aborigines since they were using the rivers to fish, bathe, do laundry etc and now it's much harder if not impossible.

Well people don't think that far ahead when they make decisions like the one you described.

Ah yes, the global impoverished didn't think ahead about their inability to afford modern irrigation and water-movement infrastructure.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:12 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:Well people don't think that far ahead when they make decisions like the one you described.

Ah yes, the global impoverished didn't think ahead about their inability to afford modern irrigation and water-movement infrastructure.

I was not referring to the global impoverished, smh. I was referring to lawmakers.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

No State Here
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby No State Here » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:12 pm

Say the animal wasn’t killed by the bullet. How do you think it would’ve otherwise died? Chances are, likely not the peaceful old age death you’re imagining, which are exceedingly rare out in the wild. Some would even say a bullet is a preferable death than being torn apart by a wolf’s jaws
Abolish NSG

New York Anarcho-Capitalist Minarchist, not an Ancap anymore
Theme
Anthem

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:13 pm

The Marlborough wrote:
American Pere Housh wrote:Tell me, name one wolf attack in North America that wasn't due to rabies,hunger or by accident?

Candice Berner.

There have been 33 fatal attacks since the 1760's. So over a 260 year period, only 33 fatal attacks have occurred.
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:13 pm

No State Here wrote:Say the animal wasn’t killed by the bullet. How do you think it would’ve otherwise died? Chances are, likely not the peaceful old age death you’re imagining, which are exceedingly rare out in the wild. Some would even say a bullet is a preferable death than being torn apart by a wolf’s jaws

Or rather, animals being raised in captivity, pumped full of hormones, force-fed, cramped into tight, cramped, poorly-ventilated spaces ripe with infection.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:14 pm

American Pere Housh wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:Candice Berner.

There have been 33 fatal attacks since the 1760's. So over a 260 year period, only 33 fatal attacks have occurred.

Are you a wolf apologist, perhaps :blink:
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

American Pere Housh
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:15 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
American Pere Housh wrote:There have been 33 fatal attacks since the 1760's. So over a 260 year period, only 33 fatal attacks have occurred.

Are you a wolf apologist, perhaps :blink:

By no means, I am not.
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:16 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:Are you a wolf apologist, perhaps :blink:

By no means, I am not.

Gotcha :p
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

The Marlborough
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:16 pm

The Marlborough wrote:Candice Berner.

Reported attacks. I wouldn't be surprised if many people disappeared on the treks out West. It's like how we aren't certain how many croc attacks there are because many don't get reported.

American Pere Housh
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:18 pm

The Marlborough wrote:
American Pere Housh wrote:There have been 33 fatal attacks since the 1760's. So over a 260 year period, only 33 fatal attacks have occurred.

Reported attacks. I wouldn't be surprised if many people disappeared on the treks out West. It's like how we aren't certain how many croc attacks there are because many don't get reported.

Look at the Nile crocodile and how many people they have killed.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:19 pm

No State Here wrote:Say the animal wasn’t killed by the bullet. How do you think it would’ve otherwise died? Chances are, likely not the peaceful old age death you’re imagining, which are exceedingly rare out in the wild. Some would even say a bullet is a preferable death than being torn apart by a wolf’s jaws

But people like watching wildlife programs and the gazelle getting munched by a cheetah.

Wildlife programmes, just another form of getting pleasure from watching animals die. :lol2:
Slava Ukraini

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:19 pm

The Marlborough wrote:

That's the problem with any situation that results in people being eaten. It doesn't leave much in the way of evidence. It's rather difficult to examine a piece of skull the size of a quarter and state with absolute certainty the cause of death was a wolf, or lion, or bear, or croc, or anything else.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

The Marlborough
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:20 pm

The Marlborough wrote:Reported attacks. I wouldn't be surprised if many people disappeared on the treks out West. It's like how we aren't certain how many croc attacks there are because many don't get reported.

Look at the Nile crocodile and how many people they have killed.

Yeah which is why I'm okay with hunting them. Plus they make good eating.

Nilokeras
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:22 pm

The Marlborough wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:Counter-argument: "Then humans shouldn't be swimming there"

You can't solve poverty by managing crocodile populations.

Nilokeras
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:23 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Nilokeras wrote:It's worth noting as well that one of the major reasons why feral pigs are such a problem in North America is that they have no natural predators - wolves, jaguars and cougars are all extirpated from much of their invaded range. Widescale predator reintroduction is the single most cost effective management strategy there is, as they collectively exert significant controls in terms of predation of adults, increase in juvenile mortality and ecological fear effects.

wolf can't kill no hog

wolf can kill hog if wolf work together and also baby hog and fear effects

The Marlborough
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:24 pm

Nilokeras wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:Well tbf it's not just swimming but also doing things like laundry which for a lot of communities in the region helps saves cost because they are pretty poor iirc. IIRC the people that ended up getting fucked over the most were impoverished aborigines since they were using the rivers to fish, bathe, do laundry etc and now it's much harder if not impossible.

You can't solve poverty by managing crocodile populations.

Never said you could.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General