NATION

PASSWORD

Scariest thing about WW1?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What do you find the scariest about World War 1/The Great War?

Gas attacks
39%
No Man's Land
6%
Disease
17%
Constant Artillery Barrages
7%
Other
31%

Total votes : 54

The Modern German Kaiserreich
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 03, 2021
Ex-Nation

Scariest thing about WW1?

Postby The Modern German Kaiserreich » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:40 pm

World War 1, it's a war that is often overshadowed by it's successor, World War 2, which is honestly sad to me because of all the important events that happened in the war and how they shaped the world today, and events to come that is. But we're not really here to talk about the entire history of the war, I created this post to discuss what you think was the scariest thing about the war itself, there were many things about this war that are terrifying to think about, gas weapons, constant artillery bombardments, and even disease. Out of all the things in this war, what do you find the scariest and why? Personally, I find the idea of gas weaponry to be pretty scary, not only does it kill you slowly, but even if you get your mask on in time, sometimes you mask might not work properly or might have been damaged from a past battle.
Last edited by The Modern German Kaiserreich on Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, we don't use NS-Stats because they restrict creativity, but we still try to manage them accordingly just for fun. Incase you were going to ask, I am a kaiserboo, but not the toxic kind, so there you go!

Great Britain et Ireland
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Britain et Ireland » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:41 pm

N/A
Last edited by Great Britain et Ireland on Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scalizagasti
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Scalizagasti » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:45 pm

Uh... this is the General Assembly
Scalizagasti | iiwiki page | he/him

URA WA Affairs Department Head
Senator in Mariner Trench
Former President of The Great Experiment

Don't let them tell you it can't be done - Jack Layton

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Modern German Kaiserreich » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:46 pm

Scalizagasti wrote:Uh... this is the General Assembly

Shoot, I meant to put this in general, my bad.
Hi, we don't use NS-Stats because they restrict creativity, but we still try to manage them accordingly just for fun. Incase you were going to ask, I am a kaiserboo, but not the toxic kind, so there you go!

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:03 pm

I suppose this could fall under "Disease" but I'd say just the general lack of sanitation. This video illustrates what I mean. If you have a weak stomach, I wouldn't recommend watching it.
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Modern German Kaiserreich » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:08 pm

Side 3 wrote:I suppose this could fall under "Disease" but I'd say just the general lack of sanitation. This video illustrates what I mean. If you have a weak stomach, I wouldn't recommend watching it.

Well, bad sanitation typically leads to disease, so I'll count it.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:19 pm

That it plunged the entire world into a period of violent political chaos (which granted had been built up to) and that pretty much all optimism was lost in the world.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:20 pm

I went to Passchendaele, and walked among the gravestones of 17 and 18 year olds.

A lot of people, if not most people, died of drowning in the thick wet sludge blown into craters by incessant shelling. There's a corner at Ypres nearby as well that was basically Russian Roulette if you went through.

500,000 casualties for just 5 miles.

"I died in hell. They called it Passchendaele"
Last edited by Bombadil on Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:21 pm

Just how happy about it they all were at the start of the thing
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:48 pm

Unfortunately, Homo sapiens are creatures that like to fight each other. The war itself
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:50 pm

Gas. I’d rather die in any other way that they used in the Great War (well save maybe the flame thrower). But gas was just horrific.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:50 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:Just how happy about it they all were at the start of the thing

Ya this is probably the scariest part. Especially that everyone thought it would be over by Christmas
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

My Political Fantasy
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 10, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby My Political Fantasy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:53 pm

WW1 is probably the defining cultural moment of the 20th century where religion, values, and beliefs changed into something more nihilistic. Idealism and progress of the 19th century was turned into something more pessimistic and more uncertain.
A combination of the neutrality of Switzerland, the military capabilities of Israel, and the authoritarian governance of Russia.
I like to complain about bad governments are people halfway across the world, but I prefer that anyone except me deal with them.
The official themesong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbkqE4fpvdI

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:54 pm

Bombadil wrote:I went to Passchendaele, and walked among the gravestones of 17 and 18 year olds.

A lot of people, if not most people, died of drowning in the thick wet sludge blown into craters by incessant shelling. There's a corner at Ypres nearby as well that was basically Russian Roulette if you went through.

500,000 casualties for just 5 miles.

"I died in hell. They called it Passchendaele"

The scary part is that 18 year olds would still fight and die in other wars. From WW2 to Vietnam to Afghanistan you’d have 18 to 19 year olds fighting and dying side by side
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:54 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Just how happy about it they all were at the start of the thing

Ya this is probably the scariest part. Especially that everyone thought it would be over by Christmas

I can deal with being optimistic of how quickly a war would take place. But the attitude that it was some florist thing, and even like a game or some “adventure” just boggles my mind.

My Political Fantasy
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 10, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby My Political Fantasy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:59 pm

Adamede wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Ya this is probably the scariest part. Especially that everyone thought it would be over by Christmas

I can deal with being optimistic of how quickly a war would take place. But the attitude that it was some florist thing, and even like a game or some “adventure” just boggles my mind.

Well, you should probably give the people living in that time some more slack as there wasn't a major war on the European continent for over 40 years at this point; neither did people expect technology to change so fast either. The crazy thing about ww1 is that many of the nations were still using napoleonic tactics to fight.
A combination of the neutrality of Switzerland, the military capabilities of Israel, and the authoritarian governance of Russia.
I like to complain about bad governments are people halfway across the world, but I prefer that anyone except me deal with them.
The official themesong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbkqE4fpvdI

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Modern German Kaiserreich » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:02 pm

My Political Fantasy wrote:
Adamede wrote:I can deal with being optimistic of how quickly a war would take place. But the attitude that it was some florist thing, and even like a game or some “adventure” just boggles my mind.

Well, you should probably give the people living in that time some more slack as there wasn't a major war on the European continent for over 40 years at this point; neither did people expect technology to change so fast either. The crazy thing about ww1 is that many of the nations were still using napoleonic tactics to fight.

Well, not entirely. While they certainly did march to the battles, I'm pretty sure there isn't any documented evidence that soldiers marched in straight lines and took turns firing at the enemy, but I do agree that a lot of the tactics were outdated.

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:15 pm

Adamede wrote:I can deal with being optimistic of how quickly a war would take place. But the attitude that it was some florist thing, and even like a game or some “adventure” just boggles my mind.

Napoleonic tactics weren't being used, this is a common myth used to discredit the officer corps as being out of touch with reality.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:34 pm

There’s a difference between not knowing the horrors that the World War would be and then there’s acting like war is a sport where boys become men.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:51 pm

Hmmm tough question. You already got the objectively bone chilling fact that millions of soldiers(some still teenagers or even younger) dying for a cause that was very far from noble. And of course you got the initial reaction to the war being disturbingly disconnected from the reality of how the war would turn out. And then you got shit like gassing, flamethrowers, hand to hand combat, and like a thousand other horrifying ways to die. And not to mention the illness and conditions of the fronts.

I guess I would go with gas or flamethrowers due to just how horrifying of a way to die they are.

Oh and of course there was the trauma inflicted on survivors and the fact many were unable to get proper help for it. That is also a pretty horrifying thing to think about.
Last edited by Andsed on Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:53 pm

That it's cultural impact is so powerful that it still influences the world today and yet it is largely forgotten by many. I would actually consider WWI to be more influential on recent human history than WWII.
Last edited by The Marlborough on Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Thanadal
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 11, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Thanadal » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:09 pm

Gas attacks.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:28 pm

What always got me was the sheer destruction of the Earth at the trench lines. For warfare to render huge swathes of land utterly unrecognizable from the habitable land it used to be. But I would still say gas attacks or flamethrowers. Or both.
Last edited by Rusozak on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Modern German Kaiserreich » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:43 pm

Rusozak wrote:What always got me was the sheer destruction of the Earth at the trench lines. For warfare to rendered huge swathes of land utterly unrecognizable from the habitable land it used to be. But I would still say gas attacks or flamethrowers. Or both.

True, I've seen a lot of pictures taken from places like Verdun, nothing but dead trees and mud, scary but also sad.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:18 pm

Erich Maria Remarque wrote:How senseless is everything that can ever be written, done, or thought, when such things are possible. It must be all lies and of no account when the culture of a thousand years could not prevent this stream of blood being poured out, these torture-chambers in their hundreds of thousands. A hospital alone shows what war is.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General