NATION

PASSWORD

French government denounces American Woke Left

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:38 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
This does not pose a problem depending on the framing, emphasis, rhetoric and so on. Plenty of nations have had internal conflicts and hierarchies of a similar kind. Emphasizing this as the most important characteristic as opposed to an element of the story is not necessary compared to focusing on examples of cooperation, mutual benefit, common enemies, and solidarity. As an example, in Wales we do not obsess over the oppression by the English.

It is mentioned, but our history typically puts emotive emphasis on the empire and our participation and benefit from it. This fosters a sense of Britishness regardless of the history of oppression and second class status.

Animosity is basically non-existent now and the issues are typically discussed in terms of poverty, class, and so on more so than nationality and oppression.

The problem with that is that you are retroactively applying nationality to people who didn't hold it.

And why would that matter? Just tell the story from when they did start to hold it with reference to where they came from before. It's what we do with the anglo-saxons.

We don't bother going over their history before they arrived on the Islands. Just "Oh they came from over there, it's not important, they weren't British til they got here anyway.".

Additionally, are you unaware that the Welsh were second class citizens and not part of the nation too?
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:39 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
You'd have to ignore the facts to think they're not. I mean camp auschwitz? Really dude? That sounds pretty fucking fashy.

Wearing edgy shirts isn't exactly strongly indicative of political beliefs.

The event and its average participant can, however, be described concretely as pro-authoritarian.

That would check out more if there weren't actual confirmed neo nazis at the storming of the capitol, aka fascists.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:40 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
You'd have to ignore the facts to think they're not. I mean camp auschwitz? Really dude? That sounds pretty fucking fashy.

Wearing edgy shirts isn't exactly strongly indicative of political beliefs.

The event and its average participant can, however, be described concretely as pro-authoritarian.

"Sure he had the SS Totenkampf on his shirt with a direct reference to the Holocaust's most infamous atrocity with a pro-Nazi Holocaust phrase on it, but a fascist? idk man, seems like jumping to conclusions."
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:41 pm

Proctopeo wrote:Wearing edgy shirts isn't exactly strongly indicative of political beliefs.

That would check out more if there weren't actual confirmed neo nazis at the storming of the capitol, aka fascists.

+1
Welcome to the Nekostan-e Gharbi. Our ancestors were a group of genetically enhanced Israeli cats raised by two Iranian Jewish women, Rachel Davidi and Esther Moshel. We are a constitutional monarchy where a line of benevolent and powerless feline queens “guide” the citizens or more precisely are the subject of their constant gossiping.

Current Queen: Sarah IV (House of Moshel)
Current Prime Minister: Dr. Elisheva Cohen (she is fine with Elizabeth for non-Hebrew speakers) from Likud
Cats rule; dogs drool; Israel rocks; China sucks.
Abolish China and save lives.
What is Sinostatism?
Must read on China by David Goldman https://www.tabletmag.com/amp/sections/ ... ina-empire

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:41 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:The problem with that is that you are retroactively applying nationality to people who didn't hold it.

And why would that matter? Just tell the story from when they did start to hold it with reference to where they came from before. It's what we do with the anglo-saxons.

We don't bother going over their history before they arrived on the Islands. Just "Oh they came from over there, it's not important, they weren't British til they got here anyway.".

Additionally, are you unaware that the Welsh were second class citizens and not part of the nation too?

It matters because it frames the political events of the past in a mindset that didn't exist at the time.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:42 pm

Proctopeo wrote:Wearing edgy shirts isn't exactly strongly indicative of political beliefs.

Does the presence of government employees mean it was an FBI false flag attack?
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:42 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

It matters because it frames the political events of the past in a mindset that didn't exist at the time.

This is always going to be the case.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:43 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

Yup but that’s how almost all forms of nationalism works lol. Zionism looks like a rare exception since it is actually based on reality (e.g. Jewish cultural and organizational continuity from the exile to aliyah). Jews were not invented over the years. Instead they existed back then and exist now. Armenian nationalism is also at least more truthful than for example Azeri nationalism.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Welcome to the Nekostan-e Gharbi. Our ancestors were a group of genetically enhanced Israeli cats raised by two Iranian Jewish women, Rachel Davidi and Esther Moshel. We are a constitutional monarchy where a line of benevolent and powerless feline queens “guide” the citizens or more precisely are the subject of their constant gossiping.

Current Prime Minister: Dr. Elisheva Cohen (she is fine with Elizabeth for non-Hebrew speakers) from Likud
What is Sinostatism?
Must read on China by David Goldman https://www.tabletmag.com/amp/sections/ ... ina-empire

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:44 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:It matters because it frames the political events of the past in a mindset that didn't exist at the time.

Yes. Can you address my posts though?

What is Sinostatism?

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:45 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:It matters because it frames the political events of the past in a mindset that didn't exist at the time.

If you're using history to justify your politics and not with the goal to actually learn about the past, yes.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:46 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

If you're using history to justify your politics and not with the goal to actually learn about the past, yes.

That’s what people always do lmao. Of course your “learn from the past” is moralistic, not factual or Machiavellian. In fact it is based on secularized Christian ethics.

People don’t inherently conclude “A needs to apologize to B” from “A hurt B” lol.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

What is Sinostatism?

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:49 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:

Good historians actually try to limit that.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:51 pm

The Marlborough wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

Good historians actually try to limit that.

They do. However their works are usually not read much which is good for societies.

Truth makes effective Machiavellianism feasible. A healthy society is sufficiently filled with lies that its rulers are too confused to effectively harm it for personal gain.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

What is Sinostatism?

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:55 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

As I said, we both want mythology. I'm just self-aware about it.

But alright, let's say the woke left is just accurately reporting history in an objective fashion devoid of political motivation.
What is the utility of an anti-white racist narrative that demonizes and demoralizes white people and inculcates revanchism in minorities?

Seems to me you're rather stuck here.

1. You can side with fascists and say that demographic conflict is our destiny.
2. You can say that the current mythological narrative, by virtue of its measurably negative impacts, must be wrong somehow or reported in a fashion that is destructive and must be changed.
3. You can take an anti-enlightenment view and say that it may well be true, but that we should ignore this and stop saying it anyway.

I side with the 2nd point. I urge you to consider that there are in fact no other options.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:57 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:If you're using history to justify your politics and not with the goal to actually learn about the past, yes.

But alright, let's say the woke left is just accurately reporting history.
What is the utility of an anti-white racist narrative that demonizes and demoralizes white people and inculcates revanchism in minorities?

2. You can say that the current mythological narrative, by virtue of its measurably negative impacts, must be wrong somehow or reported in a fashion that is destructive and must be changed.
3. You can take an anti-enlightenment view and say that it may well be true, but that we should ignore this and stop saying it anyway.

I side with the 2nd point. I urge you to consider that there are in fact no other options.

I never said they are accurately reporting history.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:57 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:If you're using history to justify your politics and not with the goal to actually learn about the past, yes.

I think you know which option I have de facto picked which is 1. Even though I might argue for 3 it just leaks that I don’t actually believe in 2 or 3.

We need to add that actual WNs have their own narratives that make them look good which is why they are particularly erroneous when they discuss Jews and Israel. Hence their stance is a variant of 2, not pure 1.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

What is Sinostatism?

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:58 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

I never said they are accurately reporting history.

Okay. So what do you think about their story on history?
Ostro.MOV

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:03 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I never said they are accurately reporting history.

Ignoring me isn’t really good for your narrative.

What is Sinostatism?

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:04 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

We operate in different moral universes. There is nothing to be gained.
Ostro.MOV

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:04 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

Sadly I agree. Which moral universe do you operate in and which do you think I operate in? Maybe to you I really represent the darkness of things such as Nazism despite not being a Nazi since you and I both know very well that stuff such as what I wrote becoming popular will indeed cause that.

I’m way too honest and unwilling to self-censor that I talk about a lot of stuff that should be kept out of hands of sociopaths. It’s lucky that I’m not a known sociologist or popular blogger. I do promise never to start a blog or Twitter account to talk about the stuff though for it might actually lead to human deaths when read by the wrong people.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

What is Sinostatism?

Lamenia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Lamenia » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:06 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Lamenia wrote:i fucking hate the word "woke" so much

The term being stupid is, in part, why it's become shorthand for "stupid shit", IMO.

it's an annoying rightist strawman/prejorative

i just really hate it

Gravlen
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 01, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Gravlen » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:31 pm

Labbos wrote:
Gravlen wrote:Were there equal non-white candidates to choose from? Or is the company a family run company employing only a father and son in Vermont?

But yeah, it might be a surprise, but you do have to prove a claim of racism.

Clearly I didn't mean a two person company from one family. I don't think you're arguing in good faith, so let's drop this.

Clearly you didn't. Clearly that was something I brought up as an example to illustrate the need to look at a wider context. How me doing that demonstrates bad faith I don't know.

Labbos wrote:
Gravlen wrote:OK? Where's the bullying? Did it happen after the confrontation that got out of hand? If so, do you mean the threatening messages directed at the girl and her friend?

So telling someone they can't have a certain hairstyle, blocking their movement and trying to get scissors to cut it isn't bullying?

No.

It was dangerously close to criminal assault (the police were called and determined that it wasn't over the legal line), but it was not bullying.

Labbos wrote:
Gravlen wrote:Since you like going to Wikipedia, let's use that as a guide to remind ourselves what bullying is:
Bullying is a subcategory of aggressive behavior characterized by the following three criteria:
(1) hostile intent,
(2) imbalance of power, and
(3) repetition over a period of time.

Neither criteria 2 nor 3 is met in this case.

That page seems to be a mess. To quote the first two sentences:

Bullying is the use of force, coercion, hurtful teasing or threat, to abuse, aggressively dominate or intimidate. The behavior is often repeated and habitual. (emphasis mine)

So it contradicts itself, with your conditions coming from a single source quoted further down the article. And I'd argue that there is an imbalance of power in this case (to quote Wikipedia again, "One essential prerequisite is the perception (by the bully or by others) of an imbalance of physical or social power."). The bully clearly felt that she had the social power to call the shots in this case.

I think that's pure speculation that lacks any ground in what information we have. She might have felt that way, she might not. An equally valid alternative hypothesis is that she thought she was standing up to the powerful, but I wouldn't want to engage in idle speculation.

Labbos wrote: With condition (2), I wonder if cyberbullying can ever occur. As a decider, here's what Google gave me for a definition of bully: "seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable)". Pretty on the nail for both examples I've given.

I'll stick with the dictionary definitions, or the definitions used reputable organizations such as the American Psychology Association - not just what Google throws up.

Bullying is a form of aggressive behavior in which someone intentionally and repeatedly causes another person injury or discomfort. Bullying can take the form of physical contact, words or more subtle actions.

Labbos wrote:
Gravlen wrote:What I see, with this example from 2016, is that you're really struggling to find relevant and convincing examples.

I just threw out the first ones I came across. I'm sorry if you don't like the years, and I'm not going to follow a no-true-Scotsman argument any further. This one is an example of a government claiming something is bullying, so hopefully you'll accept this:

https://theworldnews.net/uk-news/woke-c ... -be-taught

Heh, that's the most amusing thing so far. No, the political actions by a Tory government desperate to reignite a culture war and play the victim in order to distract from their dismal failures do not convince me in the slightest. That's like when Jim Jordan says cancel culture is the number one threat to the US today, or any other thing the Trump GOP has ever said about cancel culture. It cannot be taken seriously.

You really can't expect an honest approach from someone who thinks anti-capitalism is an “extreme political stance”, equated with opposition to freedom of speech, antisemitism and endorsement of illegal activity, and that breaking the law is fine as long as it happens in a "very specific and limited way". These aren't honest people.

Labbos wrote:
Gravlen wrote:That's silly. By your definition, you're censoring the heckler's speech when you refuse them the right to speak out against you at the venue.

No, because as we agreed earlier, you don't have a right to speak at every venue you want to, whenever you want. The venue is specifically booked for me to speak, not you.

But you've gone back on that, since you now go back to a wide definition of censorship. As you said: Since you are supressing me, you are censoring me.

Labbos wrote:You can book another venue to speak your mind. Whereas if I do, you'll presumably prevent me speaking again, thus suppressing my speech. Preventing you from speaking at one place and point in time is not equivalent to preventing me ever speaking in logic.

But by that token, presumably you'll prevent me from speaking again, thus suppressing my speech.

That's why your approach and using the definition as you do is meaningless.

Labbos wrote:By your logic, if a government agency covers something you created with stickers having the word "censored" on them, it's not censorship, just them saying "censored" a lot.

No, because government intervention is a completely different beast than the actions of private entities. The bar is different, and freedom of expression protects you from governments to a much larger degree than individuals.

Labbos wrote:But once more I've shown behaviour that matches the definition, but you refuse to accept it, so let's let this one drop too.

You haven't.

Labbos wrote:
Gravlen wrote:So you were being intolerant when you supported the idea of not giving Cosby a new TV show.

No. I'm being tolerant when I don't ask that Carano be fired even though I disagree strongly with a lot of the things she's said. Not putting a serial rapist back in the same position that he abused is a matter of safety for those he works with. It's a terrible simile.

So a person has to be a threat to the immediate safety of others before you think it's OK to let a company know you won't give them any more of your money? So it would be intolerant to speak out against someone who, say, advocates for the government to forcibly sterilize all immigrants and homosexuals?
Last edited by Gravlen on Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnragedMaldivians wrote:That's preposterous. Gravlens's not a white nationalist; Gravlen's a penguin.

Unio de Sovetaj Socialismaj Respublikoj wrote:There is no use arguing the definition of murder with someone who has a picture of a penguin with a chainsaw as their nations flag.

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:33 pm

Lamenia wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:The term being stupid is, in part, why it's become shorthand for "stupid shit", IMO.

it's an annoying rightist strawman/prejorative

i just really hate it

Depends on what argument you believe is being made when someone uses the term. It's certainly a term many use negatively to describe negative things but it has also been used to describe positive things in a negative way and all the other combination of descriptions that pop into your mind. This is the problem with these sorts of discussions.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:35 pm

Fedel wrote:
Lamenia wrote:it's an annoying rightist strawman/prejorative

i just really hate it

Depends on what argument you believe is being made when someone uses the term. It's certainly a term many use negatively to describe negative things but it has also been used to describe positive things in a negative way and all the other combination of descriptions that pop into your mind. This is the problem with these sorts of discussions.

the first tool for productive discussion: defining what one means when one uses certain words
confucius was right
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:37 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

Sadly I agree. Which moral universe do you operate in and which do you think I operate in? Maybe to you I really represent the darkness of things such as Nazism despite not being a Nazi since you and I both know very well that stuff such as what I wrote becoming popular will indeed cause that.

I’m way too honest and unwilling to self-censor that I talk about a lot of stuff that should be kept out of hands of sociopaths. It’s lucky that I’m not a known sociologist or popular blogger. I do promise never to start a blog or Twitter account to talk about the stuff though for it might actually lead to human deaths when read by the wrong people.

What is Sinostatism?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General