NATION

PASSWORD

French government denounces American Woke Left

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:58 pm

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:France isn’t exactly fond of the US. So that they have academics denouncing the US over conspiracy theories and anti-intellectualism isn’t surprising to me in the least.

They hate us cause they ain't us.
Ironic, since they helped us out in the American Revolution and we...well, blew them off then, but we helped them out in WWII.

OK, in all seriousness, I am mentally high-fiving the French government right now...this is an unexpected development.

To be fair, it’s not completely undeserved. Many American tourists visiting Europe have managed to sway opinions to the negative throughout the years with their behavior. Not all, but those who have, have been loud and obnoxious. US Government policies haven’t helped either. Not just in France, though.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Nilokeras
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:59 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:France isn’t exactly fond of the US. So that they have academics denouncing the US over conspiracy theories and anti-intellectualism isn’t surprising to me in the least.

Considering the stories my colleagues have told me about French academia, it's also entirely unsurprising that they're up in arms about even the slightest most uncontroversial reforms.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:00 pm

Nilokeras wrote:

Considering the stories my colleagues have told me about French academia, it's also entirely unsurprising that they're up in arms about even the slightest most uncontroversial reforms.

National sport. *shrug*
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:01 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:They hate us cause they ain't us.
Ironic, since they helped us out in the American Revolution and we...well, blew them off then, but we helped them out in WWII.

OK, in all seriousness, I am mentally high-fiving the French government right now...this is an unexpected development.

To be fair, it’s not completely undeserved. Many American tourists visiting Europe have managed to sway opinions to the negative throughout the years with their behavior. Not all, but those who have, have been loud and obnoxious. US Government policies haven’t helped either. Not just in France, though.

The US federal government is kinda sus tho.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:01 pm

Nilokeras wrote:

That's a pretty bolshevik understanding of what uncontroversial means. You can make anything uncontroversial if you just purge opposition.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:02 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Nonsense.

You just described your political beliefs in one word. Thanks!

That was a good one. :p
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Nilokeras
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:05 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:That's a pretty bolshevik understanding of what uncontroversial means.

Ah yes, that famous moment in Russian history when Lenin stood up on a makeshift podium and roared, to the approval of a hundred thousand armed workers, 'maybe we shouldn't use blackface'

Ostroeuropa wrote:You can make anything uncontroversial if you just purge opposition.

Oh honey you really think that you can just get rid of tenured academics, don't you?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:06 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:

An ideological clique is not an intellectual movement. They ceased to be intellectuals when they leaned hard into driving out opposition and criticism from their institutions.

It’s their clique. *shrug*

This may be some comeuppance for the Trump years and what looney tunes it generated. Just a thought. That being said, Trump isn’t president anymore so the comeuppance comes late. Can’t say.

It’s France. They’ll do as they see fit.
Slava Ukraini

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:08 pm

Nilokeras wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:That's a pretty bolshevik understanding of what uncontroversial means.

Ah yes, that famous moment in Russian history when Lenin stood up on a makeshift podium and roared, to the approval of a hundred thousand armed workers, 'maybe we shouldn't use blackface'

Ostroeuropa wrote:You can make anything uncontroversial if you just purge opposition.

Oh honey you really think that you can just get rid of tenured academics, don't you?

1. More so refering to the habit of soviets passing things "Unanimously" because their government was a certain always sunny in Philadelphia character.

2. If you simply declare that opposing your cult is sexism and racism, that is a form of "cause" that allows them to terminate tenured academics. Moreover, there's general media harassment and demonization, actively creating a hostile work environment (Including through threats of violence), and there are the tactics covered here:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _Treatment
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:10 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:

An ideological clique is not an intellectual movement.

let me guess, if you like it it's an "intellectual movement," and if not it's an "ideological clique"? how would one even tell those two things apart without purely personal ideological judgement?

They ceased to be intellectuals when they leaned hard into driving out opposition and criticism from their institutions.

Even if that were the case, why would it necessarily exclude them from being described as intellectuals
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Nilokeras
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:10 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Nilokeras wrote:

National sport. *shrug*

"Hwhat do you mean I have to treat my female étudiant diplomé like zey are my colleagues et not my secrétaire et maitresse? Zis American impérialisme culturel must not stand!!"

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:10 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
An ideological clique is not an intellectual movement. They ceased to be intellectuals when they leaned hard into driving out opposition and criticism from their institutions.

It’s their clique. *shrug*

This may be some comeuppance for the Trump years and what looney tunes it generated. Just a thought. That being said, Trump isn’t president anymore so the comeuppance comes late. Can’t say.

It’s France. They’ll do as they see fit.

My point is that it's not anti-intellectualism to oppose progressive "academics" at this point.

It's also not just France, but a common shift in multiple European nations by this point.
Ostro.MOV

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:11 pm

Nilokeras wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
National sport. *shrug*

"Hwhat do you mean I have to treat my female étudiant diplomé like zey are my colleagues et not my secrétaire et maitresse? Zis American impérialisme culturel must not stand!!"

Honestly speaking, they do it to their own colleagues. That they do it to Americans isn’t surprising. Like I said, you aren’t exactly their favorite country.
Slava Ukraini

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:12 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
An ideological clique is not an intellectual movement.

let me guess, if you like it it's an "intellectual movement," and if not it's an "ideological clique"? how would one even tell those two things apart without purely personal ideological judgement?

They ceased to be intellectuals when they leaned hard into driving out opposition and criticism from their institutions.

Even if that were the case, why would it necessarily exclude them from being described as intellectuals

1. There's plenty of movements I don't like that i'd nonetheless consider having intellectuals, so no.

2. They cease to excercise intellect when not engaged in reason and rational discussion with opposing views.
Ostro.MOV

Nilokeras
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:12 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:1. More so refering to the habit of soviets passing things "Unanimously" because their government was a certain always sunny in Philadelphia character.

What are you talking about nothing was even voted on here my dude

Ostroeuropa wrote:2. If you simply declare that opposing your cult is sexism and racism, that is a form of "cause" that allows them to terminate tenured academics.

That is not cause to terminate. You can full on just sexually assault one of your graduate students and that's not cause enough to terminate in a lot of cases. Professorial employment contracts are the cushiest and most secure in the entire world.
Last edited by Nilokeras on Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:16 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Senkaku wrote:let me guess, if you like it it's an "intellectual movement," and if not it's an "ideological clique"? how would one even tell those two things apart without purely personal ideological judgement?

1. There's plenty of movements I don't like that i'd nonetheless consider having intellectuals, so no.

2. They cease to excercise intellect when not engaged in reason and rational discussion with opposing views.

Having intellectuals isn't the same as being an intellectual movement, don't try to move the goalposts with such weasel-words. If you're passionately ideologically opposed to a group, of course you'll say they're "not engaged in reason and rational discussion," because you view their entire ideology as being so-- that is to say, any ideologue is likely to say it about any opposing ideologue, so it seems suspect to simply accept such a judgement at face value. You'll call it an ideological clique, someone else will call it an intellectual movement, and no useful knowledge about the actual nature of the group is revealed or produced, just so much sophistry and overheated ranting.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:17 pm

Nilokeras wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:1. More so refering to the habit of soviets passing things "Unanimously" because their government was a certain always sunny in Philadelphia character.

What are you talking about nothing was even voted on here my dude

Ostroeuropa wrote:2. If you simply declare that opposing your cult is sexism and racism, that is a form of "cause" that allows them to terminate tenured academics.

That is not cause to terminate. You can full on just sexually assault one of your graduate students and that's not cause enough to terminate in a lot of cases. Professorial employment contracts are the cushiest and most secure in the entire world.

I'm pointing out that you can make anything "Uncontroversial" through normalizing repercussions for disagreeing with the collective and terrorizing people.

You're wrong. It is cause to terminate and has been used for decades by this point alongside the other tactics mentioned in that metastudy I linked you to create an academic echo chamber purged of dissent.
https://www.theatlantic.com/education/a ... st/385280/
Ostro.MOV

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:20 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

Having intellectuals isn't the same as being an intellectual movement, don't try to move the goalposts with such weasel-words. If you're passionately ideologically opposed to a group, of course you'll say they're "not engaged in reason and rational discussion," because you view their entire ideology as being so-- that is to say, any ideologue is likely to say it about any opposing ideologue, so it seems suspect to simply accept such a judgement at face value. You'll call it an ideological clique, someone else will call it an intellectual movement, and no useful knowledge about the actual nature of the group is revealed or produced, just so much sophistry and overheated ranting.

*shrug*

If someone calls you a horse you punch them in the nose.
If another person calls you a horse you call them a jerk.
If everyone you meet calls you a horse, well, maybe buy a saddle.

People from *all over the political spectrum with a massive range of diverse views on practically every topic* have basically the same criticisms of the woke types. Meanwhile nobody agrees with their criticisms of other movements, even though they have their own criticisms of other movements.

I think that's telling.

this is not, as your response would imply, two spidermen yelling at eachother the meme.

It's Dr Octopus claiming he's spiderman, spiderman claiming he's spiderman, and the entire extended cast going "Dr Octopus, why are you even doing this? We can see you are not spiderman".

I accept that they can continue to deny reality until the cows come home and can insist that we're the anti-intellectuals and so on and so on. That does not mean that there's no productive conversation to be had.
It just means there's no productive conversation to be had *with them*, but this is not a tale of two sides here. There's plenty of other perspectives to engage with.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:22 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Having intellectuals isn't the same as being an intellectual movement, don't try to move the goalposts with such weasel-words. If you're passionately ideologically opposed to a group, of course you'll say they're "not engaged in reason and rational discussion," because you view their entire ideology as being so-- that is to say, any ideologue is likely to say it about any opposing ideologue, so it seems suspect to simply accept such a judgement at face value. You'll call it an ideological clique, someone else will call it an intellectual movement, and no useful knowledge about the actual nature of the group is revealed or produced, just so much sophistry and overheated ranting.

*shrug*

People from *all over the political spectrum with a massive range of diverse views on practically every topic* have basically the same criticisms of the woke types. Meanwhile nobody agrees with their criticisms of other movements, even though they have their own criticisms of other movements.

I think that's telling.

This is then their way to treat American wokeness. And of course there will be differences in opinions and treatment because well, different people.

Maybe I’m seeing as a non-issue because I’ve lived both in Europe and the US and that’s my perspective.
Slava Ukraini

Outer Bratorke
Secretary

Founded: Nov 08, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Bratorke » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:26 pm

On principal, I refuse to ever side with France on any issue. It will be a cold day in hell when I ever listen to a bunch of goddamn frogs.
http://www.politiscales.net/en_US/resul ... 3&comp=100

"Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." Tom Leher

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:27 pm

Outer Bratorke wrote:On principal, I refuse to ever side with France on any issue. It will be a cold day in hell when I ever listen to a bunch of goddamn frogs.

Your sig politiscales result doesn't work.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:27 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
*shrug*

I think that's telling.

This is then their way to treat American wokeness. And of course there will be differences in opinions and treatment because well, different people.

Maybe I’m seeing as a non-issue because I’ve lived both in Europe and the US and that’s my perspective.

Can you elaborate on this?
Ostro.MOV

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:28 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

On what specifically?
Slava Ukraini

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:28 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

On what specifically?

"This is then their way to treat American wokeness.".

How do you think people should respond to this problem?
Ostro.MOV

Nilokeras
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:28 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:I'm pointing out that you can make anything "Uncontroversial" through normalizing repercussions for disagreeing with the collective and terrorizing people.

Ah yes the famous anti blackface death squads that run around tormenting and murdering innocent minstrelsy actors

Ostroeuropa wrote:You're wrong. It is cause to terminate and has been used for decades by this point alongside the other tactics mentioned in that metastudy I linked you to create an academic echo chamber purged of dissent.
https://www.theatlantic.com/education/a ... st/385280/

Lets pull up a modern source and see how he's doing, hmm?

Wikipedia wrote:On December 12, 2014, McAdams was placed on indefinite academic leave from Marquette University and was suspended from all teaching and faculty duties, banned from campus but retaining pay and benefits. This indefinite suspension came about after McAdams publicly called out a graduate student and instructor by name, in a post on his private blog. He said the instructor had refused to allow a student in an ethics class to talk about gay marriage in class.[12] A letter from Marquette University indicated that the firing was the result of his thrice violating student privacy and deliberately publishing students' names and information to target them for harassment, and because he had done so in the third instance, despite previously acknowledging that posting student names was a matter of concern.[13][14]

On March 24, 2016, Marquette released an announcement detailing the decision of University President Michael Lovell, formally implementing the unanimous recommendation contained in a 123-page report composed by the Faculty Hearing Committee after a 4-day investigation. McAdams' suspension was extended until January 2017 without pay but with benefits, and any return was conditioned on his writing a full letter of apology by April 4, 2016. McAdams told local news media that the requirement to write an apology was "a deal killer. No, I`m not going to do that."[15][16][17] The announcement triggered a barrage of hateful and threatening messages and emails directed at the graduate student and at Marquette University officials.[18][19] The graduate student later transferred to another university, saying she feared for her safety.[20]

On April 4, 2016, McAdams issued a 4-page letter[21] to President Lovell, formally rejecting his demands, and calling them "compelled speech."

McAdams has filed a lawsuit against Marquette, alleging that the suspension and pending dismissal amount to a breach of contract.[22] In response the university released the 123-page Faculty Hearing Committee report, which alleges a pattern of bullying and reckless behavior by McAdams, including at least three previous attempts to intimidate fellow faculty members by threatening to publish their names to his blog.

In July 2018, the Wisconsin Supreme Court ordered the university to reinstate him

Let's review: professor was placed on fully paid leave/suspended (note: not fired!) after a dispute where he published the name of an undergraduate student on his blog, apparently part of a pattern of harassing or intimidating behaviour against students and colleagues. After investigation the university offers to reinstate him on condition of an apology, which he refuses. He then launches a lawsuit against the university, which he wins, and is reinstated, because his contract is so ironclad that nothing of the above was sufficient to actually fire him, which the university never actually tried to do, probably because it knew it would lose in court.

And this is supposed to be proof of a guy being canceled and exiled from academia on the whim of a university?
Last edited by Nilokeras on Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General