NATION

PASSWORD

APNM Asks: Should We Abolish America?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:30 am

The Marlborough wrote:How is it genocidal to call for the Balkanization of America? This is rather extreme and over the top. Was it genocidal for America to push the USSR into dissolving?

The dissolution of the USSR was not as peaceful as you think. Ethnic conflicts after the breakup led to the deaths of many, and left many more displaced. The First Chechen War culminated in 30,000-100,000 deaths, and approximately 500,000 displaced, cities and towns across Chechnya in ruins. I prefer the USSR to become democratic than to fall apart, but that's history.

Is it genocidal when Americans support the various independence movements within other countries that will tear those countries apart?

Gotta need examples on this one. Don't tell me it's Tibet, because peaceful secession of Tibet =/= abolition of China.

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:Abolition of China is not genocidal. I don’t know where you got that idea from.

You mean all the stuff about WW3 and the world coming together to vanquish and abolish the Chinese nation-state that you produced in other threads aren't genocidal?

[X]
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:31 am

United Chinese Communes wrote:I consider the dissolution of the US to be a net good not just for the rest of the world, but potentially for Americans themselves. The United States is increasingly dysfunctional and schizophrenic as the partisan divide grows and drags the country in opposite directions. The abolition of the US could allow for people to form new communities more suited to their belief systems than existing society, thus negating any perceived need for political violence. Mind you, I admit that this is a rather far-fetched and utopian proposal, but it would be nice if it worked.

The US just works better if all its parts are together and interconnected.

A coalition of ex-US states would need to be so integrated to maintain that former standard, they'd basically just recreate the country.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

United Chinese Communes
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby United Chinese Communes » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:33 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:
United Chinese Communes wrote:I consider the dissolution of the US to be a net good not just for the rest of the world, but potentially for Americans themselves. The United States is increasingly dysfunctional and schizophrenic as the partisan divide grows and drags the country in opposite directions. The abolition of the US could allow for people to form new communities more suited to their belief systems than existing society, thus negating any perceived need for political violence. Mind you, I admit that this is a rather far-fetched and utopian proposal, but it would be nice if it worked.

The US just works better if all its parts are together and interconnected.

A coalition of ex-US states would need to be so integrated to maintain that former standard, they'd basically just recreate the country.

It's together and interconnected now, and looks to be working very badly.
|★ ☭ ★ United Chinese Communes ★ ☭ ★|
The East is Red!

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:36 am

United Chinese Communes wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:The US just works better if all its parts are together and interconnected.

It's together and interconnected now, and looks to be working very badly.

It would be worse if dissolved into multiple countries.

It needs to be fixed, not cleaved apart.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Radimostan
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 13, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Radimostan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:38 am

We've decided to abolish America, bombing commences in five minutes.

THE IN-CHARACTER NAME IS RADITIA, NOT RADIMOSTAN

United Chinese Communes
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Chinese Communes » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:41 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:
United Chinese Communes wrote:It's together and interconnected now, and looks to be working very badly.

It would be worse if dissolved into multiple countries.

It needs to be fixed, not cleaved apart.

Ordinarily I might agree, but my confidence in the possibility of America ever being fixed has been steadily eroded over the past year.
The East is Red!

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:43 am

United Chinese Communes wrote:It's together and interconnected now, and looks to be working very badly.

It would be even worse when the US break apart. First, who owns the national debt when it is now 50 instead of one? A default on trillions of dollars would trigger a financial depression even worse than the Great Depression. Second, the dollar. Maybe the states can keep the dollar as a single currency like the Euro, but economically weak states may find themselves similar to Greece or Spain in a global crisis since nations that can't control their currencies are incredibly restrained in their responses. Third, the military. Who owns the US military now? The question may end up be solved with war. The strongest states will come out victorious, while the weak ones suffer what they must.

This is probably just the tip of the iceberg.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Engadine Mcdonalds 1997
Envoy

Founded: Jan 21, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Engadine Mcdonalds 1997 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:49 am

Personally I don't think that "abolishing" any country in the modern world should occur, except for potentially North Korea, and even then that's a step too far. Instead the jingoistic attitude and the American Exceptionalism that is within the USA must be uprooted for not only the betterment of the planet and her people, but also the citizens of America itself.

"Abolishing" a country is childish, as it still leaves behind the people who reside there, and any future nation comprising of these people would only be a more dangerous threat if left to their own devices. How is the nation dissolved? Is it occupied by the U.N, the Canadians, the Mexicans, the Chinese, the British, or the Russians? Or is it a free-for-all like China during the warlords? What happens to all of the Nuclear warheads and armed forces, the Stock Market, the dominance of the American Dollar, the industrial facilities, etc.

Mind you I don't like Uncle Sam breathing down our necks waiting for a government to step out of line by asserting its independence or wanting full control of its resources. But "abolishing" America would most likely create more issues than it solves, allowing for whatever future super-power to fill the role of the USA instead. What is more preferable is a peaceful stepping down as the sole superpower to another nation, with the CIA and other American intelligence services... toning it down a bit, so we can all enjoy full self-determination without anyone imposing their will upon us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXtq4a8829g&t=1s

"I’ll tell you about the Greens. You know what the Greens are? They are a bunch of opportunists and trots hiding behind a gum tree trying to pretend they’re the Labor Party"- Paul Keating

"When you look back on these last days, you will realize that all you've built was a tomb"- Escharum

Proud anti-ideologist and chief architect of Jordan Shanks Thought

United Chinese Communes
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Chinese Communes » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:55 am

Picairn wrote:It would be even worse when the US break apart. First, who owns the national debt when it is now 50 instead of one? A default on trillions of dollars would trigger a financial depression even worse than the Great Depression.

Eh, maybe. To be honest the debt is one of those arcane issues where people keep talking past each other, so I remain unsure as to its true significance. Still, I can think of several ways in which it might be beneficial to throw a spanner into the works of the global economy.

Picairn wrote:Second, the dollar. Maybe the states can keep the dollar as a single currency like the Euro, but economically weak states may find themselves similar to Greece or Spain in a global crisis since nations that can't control their currencies are incredibly restrained in their responses.

I imagine they would each develop their own currencies when they became independent nations rather than forming a collective currency union. We're talking about the dissolution of the US here, not simply changing it into a looser confederation.
Picairn wrote:Third, the military. Who owns the US military now? The question may end up be solved with war. The strongest states will come out victorious, while the weak ones suffer what they must.

This is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

I imagine the military would dissolve with the federal government, seeing as it is a part of it. The new nations would be free to develop their own militaries if they wished.

I should also say that with the way things are going I consider a US collapse to be quite likely within the next decade or two, and that such a collapse would be extremely violent. Like, Syrian Civil War violent. Thus a peaceful dissolution of the Union into its constituent states would be a better alternative, as a violent collapse would be far worse than the things that you mentioned.
The East is Red!

Old Zealand Founder
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Zealand Founder » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:58 am

Most modern nation-states comprise different ethnic groups. Even more homogenous countries like France and Germany have subtle differences in their cultures, never mind countries such as Russia, China, and India. That being said, if the reasoning for abolishing the United States as a country would be to allow different "cultures" - and by that I mean the varying mindsets across the country - to survive on their own without affecting the others, that reason is at best not needed. At worst, the existing tensions between states would further escalate as they do not have a single flag to unite under.
JUCHE GANG

Richard Hammonds Total Wipeout
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 16, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Richard Hammonds Total Wipeout » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:52 am

People's Confederation of the United Soviet American States would be a much better replacement.
This game show, presented by Richard Hammond, is not for the faint-hearted. Made up of four challenging stages, the contestants are given gruelling physical tasks. Twenty competitors battle it out each week, dodging mud and water, in the hopes of winning the £10,000 cash prize.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:30 am

Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:I was talking about the dissolution of the USSR and the support that historical event gets from Americans.

Well I for one consider the collapse of the USSR to be a mistake considering the short term and long term effects. Even to this day I'd prefer a USSR the was reformed by Gorbachev than the current, fractured, warring states (except the Baltics which have gotten American protection) led by strongmen dictators.

The logic for the US is no different. Again, splitting one of the largest economies in the world would create serious economic issues for the world, which still relies on America. It'd be like splitting up China, except instead of removing a large producer we'd be removing a large consumer.

Also, it's funny how you confuse Americans ignoring/forgetting about Canada for Americans not respecting and wanting to invade Canada. Always ready to twist America into the villain, eh?

Based as fuck.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:51 am

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire wrote:Well I for one consider the collapse of the USSR to be a mistake considering the short term and long term effects. Even to this day I'd prefer a USSR the was reformed by Gorbachev than the current, fractured, warring states (except the Baltics which have gotten American protection) led by strongmen dictators.

The logic for the US is no different. Again, splitting one of the largest economies in the world would create serious economic issues for the world, which still relies on America. It'd be like splitting up China, except instead of removing a large producer we'd be removing a large consumer.

Also, it's funny how you confuse Americans ignoring/forgetting about Canada for Americans not respecting and wanting to invade Canada. Always ready to twist America into the villain, eh?

I agree with this. The USSR was better together. What needed to end was the gulags and the KGB having the power to bypass the criminal justice system and disappear dissidents. In other words, a democratic USSR.

You mean something that had already been illegal for thirty-five years and something that didn't exist in the first place? Gulag was abolished in 1960 by the Ministry of Internal Affairs, following this, mortality rates in Soviet prisons dropped to no more than those in Western prisons at the time. The KGB never had the authority to bypass the criminal justice system and the USSR generally didn't disappear dissidents. Why would they, the things they wanted to get rid of dissidents for were criminal acts for which the dissidents could be tried in courts of law.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:52 am

Punished UMN wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:I agree with this. The USSR was better together. What needed to end was the gulags and the KGB having the power to bypass the criminal justice system and disappear dissidents. In other words, a democratic USSR.

You mean something that had already been illegal for thirty-five years and something that didn't exist in the first place? Gulag was abolished in 1960 by the Ministry of Internal Affairs, following this, mortality rates in Soviet prisons dropped to no more than those in Western prisons at the time. The KGB never had the authority to bypass the criminal justice system and the USSR generally didn't disappear dissidents. Why would they, the things they wanted to get rid of dissidents for were criminal acts for which the dissidents could be tried in courts of law.

The forced labor camps existed up to the Gorbachev era, and the Soviet system was oppressive. Yes, the gulags weren't as big as they were in the Stalin era, but they existed in a vestigial form. Enough with the Soviet apologism. It was not democratic and people had little rights before the reforms. The only problem was that it collapsed.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:01 am

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:You mean something that had already been illegal for thirty-five years and something that didn't exist in the first place? Gulag was abolished in 1960 by the Ministry of Internal Affairs, following this, mortality rates in Soviet prisons dropped to no more than those in Western prisons at the time. The KGB never had the authority to bypass the criminal justice system and the USSR generally didn't disappear dissidents. Why would they, the things they wanted to get rid of dissidents for were criminal acts for which the dissidents could be tried in courts of law.

The forced labor camps existed up to the Gorbachev era, and the Soviet system was oppressive. Yes, the gulags weren't as big as they were in the Stalin era, but they existed in a vestigial form. Enough with the Soviet apologism. It was not democratic and people had little rights before the reforms. The only problem was that it collapsed.

Forced labor has always been a part of the Russian criminal justice system and remains such, they were never abolished, nor is forced labor an abnormal thing in the world's criminal justice system, the US has forced labor too.

I never said it was democratic, I said that the KGB didn't disappear people, which is correct, it arrested them and put them on trial.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:05 am

Punished UMN wrote:You mean something that had already been illegal for thirty-five years and something that didn't exist in the first place? Gulag was abolished in 1960 by the Ministry of Internal Affairs, following this, mortality rates in Soviet prisons dropped to no more than those in Western prisons at the time. The KGB never had the authority to bypass the criminal justice system and the USSR generally didn't disappear dissidents. Why would they, the things they wanted to get rid of dissidents for were criminal acts for which the dissidents could be tried in courts of law.

After which the government started putting dissidents in insane asylums.

Which actually was one of the major complaints in the 1965 Pushkin square protests.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:09 am

Ever Victorious Iron Willed Commanders wrote:as long as we get free Cascadia I'm happy

Why do people care about Cascadia so much?

I don't understand the appeal.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:12 am

Salus Maior wrote:

Which actually was one of the major complaints in the 1965 Pushkin square protests.

Some were, most were just kept in prison.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:16 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Some were, most were just kept in prison.

That's still unreasonably repressive.

And really only a means to mask said repression.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:27 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Some were, most were just kept in prison.

Define "unreasonably." Dissident has a nice ring to it, but let's be clear, these were people who were advocating that the state be dismantled, which is a pretty reasonable thing to criminalize, and has been criminal throughout democratic countries in different parts of recent history.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:34 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Define "unreasonably." Dissident has a nice ring to it, but let's be clear, these were people who were advocating that the state be dismantled, which is a pretty reasonable thing to criminalize, and has been criminal throughout democratic countries in different parts of recent history.

Then perhaps the problem in the first place is creating a one-party state which doesn't allow for deviation from a very specific ideology.

I'd say people who simply want free practice of religion are reasonable in that request, don't you? Or to be anything other than a dyed in the wool Communist.

Not to mention the utter unfairness of people who were allowed greater expression in the Kruschev thaw being imprisoned under Brezhnev for doing things the state had (briefly) allowed them to do.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:38 am

Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:I was talking about the dissolution of the USSR and the support that historical event gets from Americans.

Well I for one consider the collapse of the USSR to be a mistake considering the short term and long term effects. Even to this day I'd prefer a USSR the was reformed by Gorbachev than the current, fractured, warring states (except the Baltics which have gotten American protection) led by strongmen dictators.

It was largely Gorbachev and Yeltsin that destroyed the Soviet Union, though it had been in decline for longer.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:41 am

Cordel One wrote:It was largely Gorbachev and Yeltsin that destroyed the Soviet Union, though it had been in decline for longer.

Yeah, the USSR wasn't going to last.

It could have landed from that fall with more grace though and less total misery. America certainly did them wrong.

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:43 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Cordel One wrote:It was largely Gorbachev and Yeltsin that destroyed the Soviet Union, though it had been in decline for longer.

Yeah, the USSR wasn't going to last.

It could have landed from that fall with more grace though and less total misery. America certainly did them wrong.

Yeah, the oligarchs did force it into a downward spiral before that.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:44 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Define "unreasonably." Dissident has a nice ring to it, but let's be clear, these were people who were advocating that the state be dismantled, which is a pretty reasonable thing to criminalize, and has been criminal throughout democratic countries in different parts of recent history.

Then perhaps the problem in the first place is creating a one-party state which doesn't allow for deviation from a very specific ideology.

I'd say people who simply want free practice of religion are reasonable in that request, don't you? Or to be anything other than a dyed in the wool Communist.

Not to mention the utter unfairness of people who were allowed greater expression in the Kruschev thaw being imprisoned under Brezhnev for doing things the state had (briefly) allowed them to do.

State necessarily has a ruling ideology, if it doesn't, it devolves into a state of open political struggle until it does have one. One-party states just don't mask this truth. There is no political party in the Western world which is a threat to the existence of the state itself.

Yes, that is reasonable, but it was also reasonable for the Soviets to believe that the religious authorities constituted an opposition to state power. It is always true that when a state is first established, it must establish its legitimacy (i.e. its monopoly on violence), and in most cases, this means that it will resort to more extreme measures than are normally undertaken.

It's very easy to say that the goals of a state or dissident are unreasonable from the opposing viewpoint, but the truth is often that both state and dissident are being entirely reasonable, it's not about being unreasonable, it's about politics, the control of the state's power of collective-decision-making. There are exceptions to this, yes, but generally it is true.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General