NATION

PASSWORD

Why does society hate lower class persons?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ainland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ainland » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:12 am

In the UK (where the class system is very different, dated, often complex, and not always tied to money), the majority are 'working class'. Middle class really means quite wealthy (inherited), private education, etc. But you often hear people be very proud of being working class. Especially those who have made it to well paid professions, such as celebrities, or doctors or solicitors, senior management, will often tell you proudly that they are working class.

Astral Traveller
Secretary

Founded: Feb 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Astral Traveller » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:48 am

I think OP's opinion is based on assumptions. ''Poor people'' are the majority, if not the biggest minority, of society. It would make poor people have self-hatred and I doubt this is the case. I also find it highly unlikely ''society'' hates poor people. Individual opinions do not reflect the whole of society.
Distributist, Agrarianist, Conservative, Theologian and Philosopher.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:15 am

Astral Traveller wrote:I think OP's opinion is based on assumptions. ''Poor people'' are the majority, if not the biggest minority, of society. It would make poor people have self-hatred and I doubt this is the case. I also find it highly unlikely ''society'' hates poor people. Individual opinions do not reflect the whole of society.

The poor aren’t a monolith. They’re a collection of different cultural and pork so forums that don’t all get along just because they’re in a similar financial boat.

Astral Traveller
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Astral Traveller » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:18 am

Adamede wrote:
Astral Traveller wrote:I think OP's opinion is based on assumptions. ''Poor people'' are the majority, if not the biggest minority, of society. It would make poor people have self-hatred and I doubt this is the case. I also find it highly unlikely ''society'' hates poor people. Individual opinions do not reflect the whole of society.

The poor aren’t a monolith. They’re a collection of different cultural and pork so forums that don’t all get along just because they’re in a similar financial boat.

Yes, this is the case as well. But being poor can be roughly defined as having less than average income. Again it begs the question of whether society hates poor people.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:19 am

Astral Traveller wrote:
Adamede wrote:The poor aren’t a monolith. They’re a collection of different cultural and pork so forums that don’t all get along just because they’re in a similar financial boat.

Yes, this is the case as well. But being poor can be roughly defined as having less than average income. Again it begs the question of whether society hates poor people.

Over all I wouldn’t say it hates them but they’re looked down upon. And certain poor groups are hated/detested, or at best the but of jokes by society.

Astral Traveller
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Astral Traveller » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:22 am

Adamede wrote:
Astral Traveller wrote:Yes, this is the case as well. But being poor can be roughly defined as having less than average income. Again it begs the question of whether society hates poor people.

Over all I wouldn’t say it hates them but they’re looked down upon. And certain poor groups are hated/detested, or at best the but of jokes by society.

What defines society? All people in a country? Do all non-poor people look down upon poor people? A majority, minority? And if certain poor groups are being looked down upon is it because of their lack of financial means, or other factors? Again, OP has an assumption in his question which is problematic.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:16 pm

Most people aren't poor unless we're talking globally speaking. But in a developed economy, most people are middle or working class. Which is only differentiated by if the job they're working is more blue or white collar in terms of tasks. There is only the illusion that there are more poor people because more people on average, have been able to become rich or upper class, or became poorer because their skills/prospects lost out during the era of globalization and neoliberalism, and such people now have to do something else as a career or to take something that pays less. It also doesn't help that wealth became more concentrated (at least in the US and perhaps some other developed nations).

If there is any hatred of the poorest people in society, it is simply because they're seen as a tax burden or are a social issue that's too difficult and complex to actually solve. It is just out of frustration that such people can't or won't carry their own weight, whatever the reasons might be.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Postauthoritarian America
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:30 pm

If we're talking about US Capitalist society, then it's because we all know that we're one medical emergency, job loss or natural disaster away from becoming just like them. The disgust and disdain is a defensive reaction.
"The violence of American law enforcement degrades the lives of countless people, especially poor Black people, through its peculiar appetite for their death." | "There are but two parties now: traitors and patriots. And I want hereafter to be ranked with the latter and, I trust, the stronger party." -- Ulysses S. Grant, 1861 | "You don't get mulligans in insurrection." | "Today's Republican Party is America's and the world's largest white supremacist organization." | "I didn't vote to overturn an election, and I will not be lectured by people who did about partisanship." -- Rep. Gerry Connolly |"Republicans...have transformed...to a fascist party engaged in a takeover of the United States of America."

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:02 pm

Most poor people are being failed because we've got a society that doesn't value service over amassing money. We don't praise acts of service enough. We complain about the greedy bourgeoisie but when a capitalist does something kind our society doesn't lavish them with praise. Instead we praise the worst parts of their character, their greed and excessive displays of wealth.

We love our greedy millionaires and billionaires, praise them for it, and then complain that there's no good billionaires out there. You want a compassionate society? You want merciful society? Then don't praise the devil and complain when you live in hell.

Changing the conditions of the lower class means that we've got to praise those who give to the poor instead. Unfortunately, our values are so broken that we convince ourselves it's not our fault.

People who serve the poor don't even cross our radar. There's people who do and have done so much excellent work for the poor but they just don't register because they're not flashy or obnoxious.

The truth is, our society doesn't want rich people who serve them. They want rich people who are cruel, narcissistic, lacking in virtue, rich people who ignore their pleas for help. The moment a rich man is kind to the poor, culturally, he means less to us. Our society sees him as lesser. We ignore him, or worse, mock him.

Don't praise and reward sociopathic behavior then turn around and complain when you get treated like trash by people with more money than you.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:33 pm

It's not society. It's the state and the upper class that act in concert with authority that hold contempt for anyone below them, but especially the lower class.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:43 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:It's not society. It's the state and the upper class that act in concert with authority that hold contempt for anyone below them, but especially the lower class.

It's all classes of people.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:37 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:A lot more young people are being signed on as contractors. They work for themselves and see their path forward as a consultant of some kind or others. The pattern is different than working class. More jobs are creative, there was not as extensive of a "creative class" than before. They don't see themselves as working class. Information workers are service workers. The identity is different. The whole concept of a working class is shattering with increasing automation.

And unfortunately this comes with an elitist view that the working class are backwards and unenlightened and they should just "Learn to code" like the rest of them.

It's ironic that it leads to people who would normally subscribe to progressive social values to adopt a "Bootstraps" mindset.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General