NATION

PASSWORD

Freedom of speech // Is the West falling behind?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:03 am

I am kinda wondering.. how would Poland respond if people made accurate depictions of Mary instead of the whitewashed version ?

So dark skin, noserings, lots of jewellery, brightly coloured - pretty similar to Roma.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:55 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

I am kinda wondering.. how would Poland respond if people made accurate depictions of Mary instead of the whitewashed version ?

So dark skin, noserings, lots of jewellery, brightly coloured - pretty similar to Roma.

Given how people react to the knowledge that Jesus wasn't white and was instead your average middle eastern Jew?

Should be spicy.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:12 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Given how people react to the knowledge that Jesus wasn't white and was instead your average middle eastern Jew?

Should be spicy.

Can be spicier if someone were to sue churches for blasphemous depictions of Jesus and mom.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Betoni
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Betoni » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:27 am

Shofercia wrote:
Betoni wrote:
If you are televising a debate you are not a social media site, you are a tv station. It's kind of idiotic to compare the two. You do realise that, even if you spam twitter with the most genius ideas ever and the ultimate talking points of politics today, it is not being broadcast to a general audience, right? There is no "the" debate on twitter, or any social media, there is only each individual bubble, that sometimes overlaps with other bubbles.

I've got an idea, you know how, social media and the like, make a big chunk of their money out of selling user generated data or use that date to sell targeted advertising? How about you tax them by the amount of data they collect? Then you can go ahead and enable all kinds of debate with that money, or whatever you like.

I wasn't comparing a TV station to a social media platform, I was saying that you cannot discriminate based on political views, irrespective of whether you're a TV station, a radio station, or a social media platform. Prior to Dorsey's insane and divisive banning spree, there was quite a bit of intersectionality on Twitter.

Taxing companies based on data collection is idiotic, since it's nearly impossible to measure a per byte value. If I share my email, that takes a few bytes, but it's more valuable than if I post a cat video, that takes takes a few megabytes. If you wanted to tax social media platforms, first make sure that they're large enough so that taxation won't kill them, and second, tax them based on their shareholder and stock reports. That's an easily defined number, but considering that they're heavily influencing the Democratic Party, and Republican Congressmen are typically allergic to taxation, that ain't going to happen.

I'm sorry, you weren't? I literally quoted you doing that on the post you replied to. :eyebrow:

So, I get taxed by the amount of fuel I buy at the gas station. Nobody asks how productively I use that gasoline, it just is taxed by the gallon yeah? You install facebook on your phone, you get to use their shitty excuse of social media platform if you let them make financial use of the data you generate by only installing the app. The government is not getting really anything out of this deal. Why does the government get to tax the gasoline and not your data? Especially, as you point out that social media probably has an impact on elections.

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:39 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Should be spicy.

Why do people argue about Jesus' race when we literally know where He was from. He was Middle Eastern.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:00 pm

Betoni wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
I wasn't comparing a TV station to a social media platform, I was saying that you cannot discriminate based on political views, irrespective of whether you're a TV station, a radio station, or a social media platform. Prior to Dorsey's insane and divisive banning spree, there was quite a bit of intersectionality on Twitter.

Taxing companies based on data collection is idiotic, since it's nearly impossible to measure a per byte value. If I share my email, that takes a few bytes, but it's more valuable than if I post a cat video, that takes takes a few megabytes. If you wanted to tax social media platforms, first make sure that they're large enough so that taxation won't kill them, and second, tax them based on their shareholder and stock reports. That's an easily defined number, but considering that they're heavily influencing the Democratic Party, and Republican Congressmen are typically allergic to taxation, that ain't going to happen.

I'm sorry, you weren't? I literally quoted you doing that on the post you replied to. :eyebrow:

So, I get taxed by the amount of fuel I buy at the gas station. Nobody asks how productively I use that gasoline, it just is taxed by the gallon yeah? You install facebook on your phone, you get to use their shitty excuse of social media platform if you let them make financial use of the data you generate by only installing the app. The government is not getting really anything out of this deal. Why does the government get to tax the gasoline and not your data? Especially, as you point out that social media probably has an impact on elections.

Let's quote what I said: If you're televising a debate, you have to televise both sides. You can't televise the Democrats, and play hard rock when the Republicans are talking. And yet, through its series of tubes, excuse me, bans, Twitter banned primarily Conservatives, thus making the debate one sided.

Unless you think that there are televised debates with hundreds of people talking on live air, the comparison was metaphorical, especially since I mentioned a series of bans, which happen over a longer time period than a two hour debate.

Also, bytes are not fuel, because fuel prices don't vary that wildly. You're not going to find a barrel of fuel worth $0.05 and another one worth $5,000, but you can find a megabyte worth $0.05 and another one worth $5,000. Hence my suggestion to base the tax policy on the fiscal presentations that these companies make to their investors. Since they're publically traded companies, the Government should have access to said presentations, including the numbers in those presentations, and tax accordingly.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:46 am

Yeah they should be taxed by a percentage of revenue minus costs. I guess I'd require them to set up a subsidiary in each country, though this gets into the tricky question of how to divide advertising revenue when the content comes from one country and the "paying customer" attracted to said content is in another country.

"Censorship" is a non issue. If the operator goes too far in cleaning up the available content then significant number of users will prefer a competing service, with less censorship or perhaps oppositely biased censorship. They could probably use a less dumb ratings system too, say downvote by default, but one upvote if the viewer genuinely likes it. Maybe poster rating so you can set the filter not to see stuff that most people don't like. Ultimately though, a platform censoring comments is nothing but a great way to wreck their own monopoly.
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:21 pm

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:Yeah they should be taxed by a percentage of revenue minus costs. I guess I'd require them to set up a subsidiary in each country, though this gets into the tricky question of how to divide advertising revenue when the content comes from one country and the "paying customer" attracted to said content is in another country.

"Censorship" is a non issue. If the operator goes too far in cleaning up the available content then significant number of users will prefer a competing service, with less censorship or perhaps oppositely biased censorship. They could probably use a less dumb ratings system too, say downvote by default, but one upvote if the viewer genuinely likes it. Maybe poster rating so you can set the filter not to see stuff that most people don't like. Ultimately though, a platform censoring comments is nothing but a great way to wreck their own monopoly.

You base it on the paying customer, since the paying customer's the one generating the revenue. If a Nevada logging company decides to sell their lumber to California's home construction group, they pay California's sales taxes.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:45 pm

Shofercia wrote:
A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:Yeah they should be taxed by a percentage of revenue minus costs. I guess I'd require them to set up a subsidiary in each country, though this gets into the tricky question of how to divide advertising revenue when the content comes from one country and the "paying customer" attracted to said content is in another country.

You base it on the paying customer, since the paying customer's the one generating the revenue. If a Nevada logging company decides to sell their lumber to California's home construction group, they pay California's sales taxes.

That's online retail though. Advertising revenue I think, works with a tiny payment per view and a bigger one per click. Possibly the advertiser pays even more if the customer arrived from an ad and made a purchase in the same session ... though the agency (eg google) would need an inside look at the company advertising to collect on that.

I'm disinclined to try and tax companies for advertising, since there's so many of them. So tax Google where they are paid: the jurisdiction of the advertiser. Next problem: requiring the advertiser to be headquartered in the same jurisdiction as the vendor of what's advertised. My head hurts.
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General