NATION

PASSWORD

Freedom of speech // Is the West falling behind?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chia Dal
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Chia Dal » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:56 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Chia Dal wrote:Where is your evidence that Trump was behind the storming of the U.S. Capitol? Hasn't the Democratic Party been falsely claiming for 4 years about Russian interference in the 2016 Presidential election?

Edumacate yourself

Like im gonna trust Wikipedia
Government Type: Federation
Leader: President Alexis Potter
Tech Level: MT/PMT
Territories: All of Europe, the Islands of the Caribbean, the Azores off the coast of Africa, Diego Garcia, the Soloman Islands, Namibia, South Africa and all of Russia west of the Ural Mountains
Country name: The European Federation
Founding Year: 1918

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:58 pm

Chia Dal wrote:

Wikipedia is a reliable source
Right wing conservative
Media is the enemy of the people
CCP delenda est
orange man bad. diversity is our strength. real communism hasn’t been tried yet. the hong kong protestors are paid by the cia. antifa protestors are good, hong kong protestors are american bootlickers. China is a better alternative to America. uyghur genocide isn’t real, and it is western propaganda. Trump should not have killed Soleimani. gender is a social construct invented by white supremacists.

Chia Dal
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Chia Dal » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:59 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Chia Dal wrote:Are you sure about that?

Yes

I listen to the speech he gave before the storming and he asked his supporters to peacefully protest.
Government Type: Federation
Leader: President Alexis Potter
Tech Level: MT/PMT
Territories: All of Europe, the Islands of the Caribbean, the Azores off the coast of Africa, Diego Garcia, the Soloman Islands, Namibia, South Africa and all of Russia west of the Ural Mountains
Country name: The European Federation
Founding Year: 1918

Intaglio
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Intaglio » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:00 pm

Chia Dal wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Bruh it was the right wing who attacked the US on Jan 6th. Not the dems.

Are you sure about that?

After the riot, they began invetigating people who were invovled; many of them have connections to right-wing groups or social medias espousing right-wing views. It was a far-right attack and it's odd to me that anyone denies that. As for Trump, he wasn't behind the attacks in the sense that he didn't plan them, but all of what happened on January 6th was the culmination of Trump's continued lies about the election and his refusal to concede even after it became clear he had lost.

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:01 pm

Chia Dal wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:Yes

I listen to the speech he gave before the storming and he asked his supporters to peacefully protest.

I was talking about the attack on the capitol, that was definitely Trump supporters, although a radical fringe and not at all representative of most Trump supporters
Right wing conservative
CCP delenda est
orange man bad. diversity is our strength. real communism hasn’t been tried yet. the hong kong protestors are paid by the cia. antifa protestors are good, hong kong protestors are american bootlickers. China is a better alternative to America. uyghur genocide isn’t real, and it is western propaganda. Trump should not have killed Soleimani. gender is a social construct invented by white supremacists.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:02 pm

Chia Dal wrote:

It's better than it used to be. You can also go to the sources cited for the info on the Wikipedia page.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:03 pm

Chia Dal wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Sure it was, Trump invited everyone over for the 6th long in advance having fuelled hysteria over a stolen election for two months.. it didn't just occur out of context.

Where is your evidence that Trump was behind the storming of the U.S. Capitol? Hasn't the Democratic Party been falsely claiming for 4 years about Russian interference in the 2016 Presidential election?

Well, he was the reason they were all there, he kept telling the lie about election fraud, he talked about 'being strong to retake America' and 'fighting like hell', his cronies demanded 'trial by combat', they talked about heading down to the Capitol...

What did he expect when he sent a crowd hopped up on 'you're losing America!' and tales of fraudulent elections down to the Capitol building?

As an aside, I'm pretty sure there was Russian interference in the 2016 election, from what I remember. So it wasn't a false claim.
Last edited by Albrenia on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:07 pm

Chia Dal wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Sure it was, Trump invited everyone over for the 6th long in advance having fuelled hysteria over a stolen election for two months.. it didn't just occur out of context.

Where is your evidence that Trump was behind the storming of the U.S. Capitol? Hasn't the Democratic Party been falsely claiming for 4 years about Russian interference in the 2016 Presidential election?

Trump was behind the storming of the capitol, that the Democrat party are full of hypocrites doesn’t take away from the fact
Last edited by Kexholm Karelia on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right wing conservative
CCP delenda est

Nilokeras
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:33 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Nilokeras wrote:
So a bunch of outsourced workers in India are reviewing and deleting accounts handed to them by an algorithm en masse after a directive from Twitter HQ. Yes that seems much more coordinated and less likely to be riddled with mistakes and collateral damage.

Are you implying it isn’t better than a bot?

Anyone can reasonably assumed those tasked with reviewing accounts for deletion are trained in order to not delete every slip of the algorithm, it would be bad PR otherwise for the company

There's the rub there - they're not trained, barely supported and paid very little for a huge workload.

When Lester arrived to work on the Twitter account, he would put his phone and other valuables away in a locker. He would meet with his manager, who would give the team their statistics from the previous shift, such as the number of posts each person reviewed and their accuracy, as well as trending hashtags and breaking news events to monitor, such as the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando.

Then he would sit down in front of a large monitor that unspooled one post after another for hours at a time. The monitor tracked the number of “cases” in his “queue,” logging him out if he needed to take a bathroom break. Moderators for Twitter were often expected to review as many as 1,000 items a day, which includes individual tweets and replies and messages, according to current and former workers.

Lester said he had no control over what post he was going to see — whether the feed would show him an Islamic State murder or a child being forced into sex with an animal or an anti-Trump screed. He had no ability to blur or minimize the images, which are about the size of a postcard, or to toggle to a different screen for a mental breather, because the computer was not connected to the Internet.

And that's all assuming that a unique circumstance like this was handled through outsourcing at all. Mass bans and purges of hashtags could have easily been done automatically by algorithm and monitored only by software engineers. Either way the picture is the same: a colossal, porous moderation system that struggles to handle the daily tsunami of content at all, let alone a unique situation like a renewed effort to purge extremism.
Last edited by Nilokeras on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:38 pm

Chia Dal wrote:

Wikipedia has allways been a good source.

Nilokeras
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:50 pm

Vedastia wrote:It's less so the student body going nuts and more so what the professors are telling them. I went to what I was told was a relatively left-leaning university compared to other institutions and never really felt like I was out of place or that the student body was out of control

So you admit that you've never seen any of this stuff in person and that your impression of unis as infested with whatever is from the teevee.

Vedastia wrote: The Ben Shapiro trigger le libs Trigglypuff shit has been old hat forever, and it's a shame that that phenomenon has made shining a light on stupid (and in some cases disturbing) things going on in academia into something groanworthy. Many things in academia that would get laughed at ten years ago are dogma today. Was white privilege a term that was bandied around constantly by establishment media outlets a decade ago?

Is this a problem with the media or universities? You keep slipping back and forth.

Vedastia wrote:I take it that you didn't see what those law professors said in that NYT piece I linked and didn't see that that Washington Post op-ed praising the Sedition Act was written by a Notre Dame professor. These are the sort of people in the establishment who hold power over the discourse of other people in the policy establishment, and if they're saying these sorts of things, other people in the establishment already think these things and were merely looking for an excuse to implement these policies in full force.

I can find you profs who think the earth is flat or that Shakespeare was a Frenchman too, does that mean the academy is filled with secret Duc d'Orleans truthers?

Arthenius
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthenius » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:52 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
I'm ok with shutting down a person who's tried to overthrow democracy, because the right to vote for your government is the fundamental free speech we have.

He's not even shut down, he's been removed from a social media platform.

The issue is bigger than Trump. Like I mentioned earlier, many twitter accounts associated with #Walkaway and the Pro Life March were also deleted, despite not breaking any twitter ToS rules nor inciting any sort of hate or violence. This seems like a cover for twitter to silently strike down other conservative movements on their platform as well

Progressivism as a cover for authoritarianism or totalitarianism. Unfortunately, it seems to be working so far.

Arthenius
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthenius » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:02 pm

Intaglio wrote:
Chia Dal wrote:Are you sure about that?

After the riot, they began invetigating people who were invovled; many of them have connections to right-wing groups or social medias espousing right-wing views. It was a far-right attack and it's odd to me that anyone denies that. As for Trump, he wasn't behind the attacks in the sense that he didn't plan them, but all of what happened on January 6th was the culmination of Trump's continued lies about the election and his refusal to concede even after it became clear he had lost.

Do you know about when Hitler and Nazis set up the Reichstag Fire in the 1930s and blamed it on Jews and other opponents of his? Remember Hitler oppressing and using Jews as a scapegoat for the oppression that he was actually doing? And most of the German people went along with it.

This is how propaganda and psychological disinformation warfare works.

National Capitalist United States
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby National Capitalist United States » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:04 pm

Arthenius wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:The issue is bigger than Trump. Like I mentioned earlier, many twitter accounts associated with #Walkaway and the Pro Life March were also deleted, despite not breaking any twitter ToS rules nor inciting any sort of hate or violence. This seems like a cover for twitter to silently strike down other conservative movements on their platform as well

Progressivism as a cover for authoritarianism or totalitarianism. Unfortunately, it seems to be working so far.

:rofl: Come on, you can't be serious.
Entrepreneurial Freedom Zone

─╤══̵̵͇̿̿̿̿╦︻ Put this in your sig if you are a war profiteer ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Arthenius
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthenius » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:07 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Chia Dal wrote:Where is your evidence that Trump was behind the storming of the U.S. Capitol? Hasn't the Democratic Party been falsely claiming for 4 years about Russian interference in the 2016 Presidential election?

Well, he was the reason they were all there, he kept telling the lie about election fraud, he talked about 'being strong to retake America' and 'fighting like hell', his cronies demanded 'trial by combat', they talked about heading down to the Capitol...

What did he expect when he sent a crowd hopped up on 'you're losing America!' and tales of fraudulent elections down to the Capitol building?

As an aside, I'm pretty sure there was Russian interference in the 2016 election, from what I remember. So it wasn't a false claim.

By your logic, that means ANTIFA or BLM radical fighters are protesting and even rioting or looting, ergo they are inciting everyone else on the left to violence and retardation.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:14 pm

Arthenius wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

By your logic, that means ANTIFA or BLM radical fighters are protesting and even rioting or looting, ergo they are inciting everyone else on the left to violence and retardation.

No, although if one of them was to talk about how a particular police station was full of murderers and everyone should gather there on a particular day, it would be a pretty similar case. Trump, to my knowledge, never took active part in any protest, so it's nothing like the situation you suggest.

Granted Trump's case had the added factor of speaking with the authority of a President, which makes people think doing such things at his encouragement is ok.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:18 pm

Arthenius wrote:
Intaglio wrote:After the riot, they began invetigating people who were invovled; many of them have connections to right-wing groups or social medias espousing right-wing views. It was a far-right attack and it's odd to me that anyone denies that. As for Trump, he wasn't behind the attacks in the sense that he didn't plan them, but all of what happened on January 6th was the culmination of Trump's continued lies about the election and his refusal to concede even after it became clear he had lost.

Do you know about when Hitler and Nazis set up the Reichstag Fire in the 1930s and blamed it on Jews and other opponents of his? Remember Hitler oppressing and using Jews as a scapegoat for the oppression that he was actually doing? And most of the German people went along with it.

So we're just going to ignore the hundreds of hours of footage of people chanting 'fight for Trump', showing faces of people with years of Trump support and other right-wing causes in their social media history, and involvement of right-wing extremist groups in some parts of the event?

This was not a false flag event. It's literally impossible that this is a con job.

Intaglio
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Intaglio » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:18 pm

Arthenius wrote:
Intaglio wrote:After the riot, they began invetigating people who were invovled; many of them have connections to right-wing groups or social medias espousing right-wing views. It was a far-right attack and it's odd to me that anyone denies that. As for Trump, he wasn't behind the attacks in the sense that he didn't plan them, but all of what happened on January 6th was the culmination of Trump's continued lies about the election and his refusal to concede even after it became clear he had lost.

What propaganda? The people there were undeniably Trumpian/far-right. Not representative of the average conservative or even the average Trump supporter, of course, but still far-right wingers. And please spare me the Nazi comparsions; they're very tired.

Arthenius
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthenius » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:41 pm

National Capitalist United States wrote:
Arthenius wrote:

:rofl: Come on, you can't be serious.

The Reichstag Fire was used as a justification for the atrocity against the Jews and other enemies of the German Nazis. It's not too off base.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:44 pm

Arthenius wrote:
National Capitalist United States wrote: :rofl: Come on, you can't be serious.

The Reichstag Fire was used as a justification for the atrocity against the Jews and other enemies of the German Nazis. It's not too off base.

Oh yes, the arrest of people involved in a terrorist act is certainly similar to the genocide of a people based on a fire likely set by the Nazis themselves. :roll:

Arthenius
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthenius » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:47 pm

Intaglio wrote:
Arthenius wrote:

What propaganda? The people there were undeniably Trumpian/far-right. Not representative of the average conservative or even the average Trump supporter, of course, but still far-right wingers. And please spare me the Nazi comparsions; they're very tired.

I do believe there is something going on about it, because it's not just "far-right" groups that are potentially being cracked down on, formally or informally. Did you hear about #walkaway though? It is insidious and incremental. "Far-right" has also become a general insult that has lesser meaning now.

What comes to mind is the tale of the mob going after everyone as being a monster when they themselves are being the monster.

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:49 pm

Arthenius wrote:

Ugh, the constant rightist victim complex. Putting kids in cages and systemically harming black people is perfectly ok, bur inciting a riot and getting banned from Twitter for it after years of promoting misinformation? Must be an ANTIFA BLM Illuminati deep state false flag. Truly an Orwellian nightmare, comparable to being Jewish in 1930s Germany.

Omniabstracta
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Omniabstracta » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:50 pm

Arthenius wrote:

You know what else was used as a justification for the atrocities against Jews and other enemies? Accusations of “liberal conspiracies” and “Jewish plots,” and a general blaming by the conservative factions that allied themselves with the NSDAP of progressivism as the reason for Germany’s issues. So the “progressives are the real authoritarians” spiel isn’t “too off base,” if that’s the argument you really want to make, but it’s better for us both to just not do that instead.

Last edited by Omniabstracta on Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was golden, purple, violet, gray and blue. It lighted every peak, crevasse and ridge of the nearby mountain range with a clarity and beauty that cannot be described but must be seen to be imagined. It was that beauty that the great poets dream about but describe most poorly and inadequately..."

Arthenius
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthenius » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:51 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Arthenius wrote:

Oh yes, the arrest of people involved in a terrorist act is certainly similar to the genocide of a people based on a fire likely set by the Nazis themselves. :roll:

Not specifically the genocide part, but more about comparison with them being otherwise treated similarly to terrorists like the damaging of their businesses and other association.

Arthenius
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthenius » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 pm

Cordel One wrote:
Arthenius wrote:

Ugh, the constant rightist victim complex. Putting kids in cages and systemically harming black people is perfectly ok, bur inciting a riot and getting banned from Twitter for it after years of promoting misinformation? Must be an ANTIFA BLM Illuminati deep state false flag. Truly an Orwellian nightmare, comparable to being Jewish in 1930s Germany.

The left is really the one that has the victim complex. Why? Because at least socially, you have different sects like third-feminists, those in the black and minority communities, other "social justice" causes who are complaining about a status quo that isn't really as bad as an issue in reality. There is the crazy hypocrisy and double standards too. At least the right is honest and upfront about where they stand.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General