NATION

PASSWORD

A gun in every house is a must

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Guns for everyone

Yes
37%
No
50%
Maybe
14%

Total votes : 591

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:40 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Sure, except your option is to arm everyone and mine is to arm no one.

Your option is dead on arrival. When Sandy Hook increased sales of guns, we should have realized taking guns away was never going to happen.

Should’ve realized guns would never be taken away because they’re son ingrained into the history and culture of a rebellious settler nation.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:40 pm

Yeah, no, I don't want a gun. I don't trust myself to own one.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:41 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Outer Bratorke wrote:You're all being foolish. I would not trust most people to use gun correctly (myself included), even when trained.

Swords on the other hand...

What if a criminal is forcing his way into your home with the intention of raping and killing you? I would prefer having a gun than a sword (both are not a bad idea).

Unless you are Seifer, it’s very difficult to wield both at once.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:41 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Sure, except your option is to arm everyone and mine is to arm no one.

Your option is dead on arrival. When Sandy Hook increased sales of guns, we should have realized taking guns away was never going to happen.

Well we're mixing a hypothetical here with reality. The problem in the US is that it's a political issue not a rational issue - guns, abortion, religion.. as the quote goes 'bringing facts to an emotional debate is like bringing a knife to a gun fight'.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:41 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Iwassoclose wrote:There is a hole in this scenario if we were to apply it to real life.

Half the people in the room have guns, the other half dont.

Which is why I'm happy to have a gun. The ideal situation is a room full of ten people where only I have a gun and rule as their overlord, presenting the sandwich as something for them to aspire to earn when in reality it is all for me.

If we are locked in this room, a sandwich will not increase our life expectancy very much. I would want to use the gun to shoot myself when starvation becomes too painful to endure.
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:42 pm

Necroghastia wrote:Yeah, no, I don't want a gun. I don't trust myself to own one.

Then you dont get one.

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:Which is why I'm happy to have a gun. The ideal situation is a room full of ten people where only I have a gun and rule as their overlord, presenting the sandwich as something for them to aspire to earn when in reality it is all for me.

If we are locked in this room, a sandwich will not increase our life expectancy very much. I would want to use the gun to shoot myself when starvation becomes too painful to endure.

Its three days without food, calm down.
Last edited by Iwassoclose on Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:42 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:
In that case, alcohol, tobacco, and cars also need to be banned.

Just like guns, not an option.

I mean it was an option. Just not one that works.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:42 pm

Adamede wrote:
Iwassoclose wrote:

Should’ve realized guns would never be taken away because they’re son ingrained into the history and culture of a rebellious settler nation.

It wasn't even an issue until the 70's and the Southern Strategy, it was known as the 'forgotten clause'.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:42 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Guns should be banned in America.

I don’t like the school shootings. I don’t like the gun crimes.

Guns need to be banned but America’s problematic democratic/presidential structure prevents any meaningful action. Citizens will just lobby to keep their guns, even though gun violence continues to harm innocents every year. It is a flaw of the American system.

Will you also ban the police and the military from having guns? If you don't, it can lead to totalitarianism.
Your political compass

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:43 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Outer Bratorke wrote:You're all being foolish. I would not trust most people to use gun correctly (myself included), even when trained.

What if a criminal is forcing his way into your home with the intention of raping and killing you? I would prefer having a gun than a sword (both are not a bad idea).

It's hilarious how you have no sense of humor!
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:44 pm

Galloism wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

Unless you are Seifer, it’s very difficult to wield both at once.

I meant the sword would be a good backup if my gun jammed or I ran out of bullets.
Your political compass

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:44 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:The one with none because if things get violent the room with guns is on equal footing and the room without guns will be run by the physically strong. I figure between women, the infirm, the old, and the young there's a solid chance that I'm tougher than many or even most people in the second room and therefore able to control them. That's the shitty thing about guns, they introduce a level of equality into situations where the strong could otherwise rule the weak.

I view that as a danger, I mean if the strongest person in the room decides to take the sandwich, fine, I can survive 3 days without eating.. but in a room where everyone's equal the opportunity for dispute is raised with deadly consequences.

More people are killed in the US by hands and feet than are with AR15’s each year. If sticking a bunch of people with guns in a room for 3 days and only one sand which will turn deadly sticking a bunch of people without guns in a room with a so gun le sandwich for 3 days will be deadly as well.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:44 pm

In both situations it depends on how well people know how to fight with guns or fists. Once you have figured out who knows how to fight, it is a matter of who will cooperate. If you have two people who know how to fight, you can share the sandwich. Three days is not long enough to starve. Destroy the sandwich. Most people can survive between 8 and 21 days without food and water. Enjoy a short fast.

A really dangerous man will not worry about whether they have a gun or not. A gun is an extension of your fist.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:44 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:

I'd prefer a locked door and a telephone myself.

十年

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:45 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Guns should be banned in America.

I don’t like the school shootings. I don’t like the gun crimes.

Guns need to be banned but America’s problematic democratic/presidential structure prevents any meaningful action. Citizens will just lobby to keep their guns, even though gun violence continues to harm innocents every year. It is a flaw of the American system.

Guns aren't really the inherent problem, the violence is a side effect of societal issues.

Restricted? Probably to an extent.

Banned? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:46 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Adamede wrote:Should’ve realized guns would never be taken away because they’re son ingrained into the history and culture of a rebellious settler nation.

It wasn't even an issue until the 70's and the Southern Strategy, it was known as the 'forgotten clause'.

Ah, yet another thing the Southern strategy ruined.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:46 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

Most doors aren’t really that sturdy, particularly interior doors that are typically hollow since insulation is not an issue and it makes it lighter, cheaper, and easier to operate.

Unless you have a panic room, a locked door is basically a test of the attacker’s willingness more than a defense.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:47 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

Unless it’s a reinforced panic room that locked door isn’t particularly a great obstacle for the robber.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:47 pm

Galloism wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Most doors aren’t really that sturdy, particularly interior doors that are typically hollow since insulation is not an issue and it makes it lighter, cheaper, and easier to operate.

Unless you have a panic room, a locked door is basically a test of the attacker’s willingness more than a defense.

Maybe invest in a better door than a gun then :)

十年

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:48 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:In both situations it depends on how well people know how to fight with guns or fists. Once you have figured out who knows how to fight, it is a matter of who will cooperate. If you have two people who know how to fight, you can share the sandwich. Three days is not long enough to starve. Destroy the sandwich. Most people can survive between 8 and 21 days without food and water. Enjoy a short fast.

A really dangerous man will not worry about whether they have a gun or not. A gun is an extension of your fist.

Pretty much. Although I’d say splitting the sandwich and everyone eating their portion at the same time is probably a better solution to just destroying it.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:48 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Galloism wrote:Most doors aren’t really that sturdy, particularly interior doors that are typically hollow since insulation is not an issue and it makes it lighter, cheaper, and easier to operate.

I mean, to make a door strong enough to be a real deterrent, it would cost several times more than a gun, and generally be a pain in the ass to use.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:49 pm

Just what an unstable society needs, lethal weapons for every dumbass!
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:50 pm

Senkaku wrote:Just what an unstable society needs, lethal weapons for every dumbass!

Half the dumbasses already owns multiple guns.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:50 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Galloism wrote:Most doors aren’t really that sturdy, particularly interior doors that are typically hollow since insulation is not an issue and it makes it lighter, cheaper, and easier to operate.

Or save the money and get a gun and gun safe. :)
Last edited by Adamede on Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:51 pm

Reads OP,

On the bright side, folks who don't clean up theirs dogs crap will think twice.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General