NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics III: New President, Same Old Country

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:42 am

Glorious Hong Kong wrote:Megyn Kelly partly blames media for US Capitol riot: 'They checked their objectivity' by bashing Donald Trump

Kelly, who previously had a falling out with Trump, never bought into his election lies and urged the former president to concede defeat, hits the nail on the head. Contrast MSM's non-stop negative coverage of Trump's every triviality (the way he talks, eats, shops, his choice of table, his weight, appearance, mental state, etc.) particularly by tabloidy trash rags such as The Independent with their cringy fawning over Biden's visit to a local bakery store and their characterization of the Lincoln Memorial's lights as "extensions of Joe Biden's arms embracing America".

MSM, by choosing to so overtly pick a side, discredited themselves, particularly in the eyes of conservatives, and opened millions of Americans up to a deluge of lies, misinformation, and conspiracy theories by QAnon, Trump, etc. that ultimately led up to the Capitol Hill coup attempt. Maybe MSM should stop being a part and parcel of the hatred and division and actually learn to treat the other side with respect.

I seriously doubt news media being nicer to Trump would stop the lies and misinformation from Trump, unless the entire media collectively knelt before him and worshipped him like Breitbart or OAN do. Even Fox News fell victim to his ire for daring to report the election result.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:55 am

MSM do not like Trump because he is unpredictable, untrustworthy and as a result its not likely that he does what they want him to do.

Daily reminder that CNN not liking Trump doesn't make CNN good.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:01 am

Agarntrop wrote:MSM do not like Trump because he is unpredictable, untrustworthy and as a result its not likely that he does what they want him to do.

This is a completely ridiculous read of how news is made.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:16 am

Agarntrop wrote:MSM do not like Trump because he is unpredictable

Does that sound even half right?

Most politicians labor hard just to get their time on the news. Trump just had to drop a tweet. But Trump over-indulged in "I can say literally anything" and for some reason couldn't understand being criticized for talking hateful and craven shit. Like his Twitter is just his personal opinion and nothing to do with his day job ...

Trump used up his goodwill before he was even elected. I guess his previous experience as a trivial celebrity gave him the high expectations of how positively he'd be covered as President. No other aspect of his Presidency went as badly as his relationship with the press. But the Press is not all-powerful and they couldn't stop him getting elected the first time.
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

Echo Chamber Thought Police
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:35 am

Cos the media are our altruistic friends, ok...
Add circa 10,000 posts on to current account, founded May 14th 2018. Agarntrop is other account.
LOHG: A UK-based political RP
OCCUPY THE HEDGEFUNDS - INVEST IN GAMESTOP
Left-leaning Social Democrat
You Have No Authority Here, Jackie Weaver

Nejii
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:36 am

As an American, I will say the mainstream media and many alternate channels alike are laughable.
Last edited by Nejii on Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Radical centrist tilting more and more to the right (socially)...

The Horst-Wessel-Lied is very catchy.

Growing more unapologetic by the day.

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:37 am

Agarntrop wrote:MSM do not like Trump because he is unpredictable, untrustworthy and as a result its not likely that he does what they want him to do.

Trump is not unpredictable. Untrustworthy, yes, but hardly unpredictable.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:42 am

The Holy Therns wrote:

Trump is not unpredictable. Untrustworthy, yes, but hardly unpredictable.

As a news source he's unpredictable. You may have known he was going to sack a senior advisor, for instance, but you didn't know when.
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:45 am

Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:Cos the media are our altruistic friends, ok...

If you think the media control people's thoughts, then why do so many people have a low opinion of the media?

Nejii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:52 am

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:
Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:Cos the media are our altruistic friends, ok...

If you think the media control people's thoughts, then why do so many people have a low opinion of the media?

I despise them myself because they throw gasoline on every fire they find, they shamelessly show their bias when reporters are meant to solely report the truth and not their own opinion or spin, and to add to the bias angle they cherry pick what stories they post/share.

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:54 am

Albrenia wrote:
Glorious Hong Kong wrote:Megyn Kelly partly blames media for US Capitol riot: 'They checked their objectivity' by bashing Donald Trump

Kelly, who previously had a falling out with Trump, never bought into his election lies and urged the former president to concede defeat, hits the nail on the head. Contrast MSM's non-stop negative coverage of Trump's every triviality (the way he talks, eats, shops, his choice of table, his weight, appearance, mental state, etc.) particularly by tabloidy trash rags such as The Independent with their cringy fawning over Biden's visit to a local bakery store and their characterization of the Lincoln Memorial's lights as "extensions of Joe Biden's arms embracing America".

MSM, by choosing to so overtly pick a side, discredited themselves, particularly in the eyes of conservatives, and opened millions of Americans up to a deluge of lies, misinformation, and conspiracy theories by QAnon, Trump, etc. that ultimately led up to the Capitol Hill coup attempt. Maybe MSM should stop being a part and parcel of the hatred and division and actually learn to treat the other side with respect.

I seriously doubt news media being nicer to Trump would stop the lies and misinformation from Trump, unless the entire media collectively knelt before him and worshipped him like Breitbart or OAN do. Even Fox News fell victim to his ire for daring to report the election result.

Fox News is more moderate than CNN with a clear dividing line between news and opinion. CNN is all opinion dressed up as news. One cannot honestly claim that their anchors are nonpartisan without lying through their teeth. It clearly shows in the way they talk and their barely-concealed facial expressions of hatred and contempt. It's a left-wing echo chamber. Fox News's reporters actually did their jobs and called the election for Joe Biden as well as calling out McEnany's lies on the spot. Being neutral and impartial doesn't mean bowing to Trump's every demand, but neither does it mean going all out to try to take him down for good while pretending to be fair and balanced. MSM is partly to blame for the Right's epic post-election copefest. Rightists don't know who to turn to for answers anymore, and to be fair, neither do I.

All the comedians, news anchors, celebrities, Big Tech moguls, and everyone whose face has appeared on U.S. television and Hollywood are part of the problem and right now they are once again in the ascendancy. Lady Gaga's appearance at the inauguration exemplifies this. Compare this to Jackie Evancho's appearance at Trump's inauguration for which she received a certain amount of backlash. At least she's managed to remain strictly nonpartisan instead of simply jumping on the woke bandwagon like Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish.

The evening primetime festivities by CNBC were absolute cringe (yes, I watched the whole thing on YT because I couldn't help myself and the music and fireworks were actually pretty good; Firefox has P-in-P mode) and not part of the traditional formalities that ended the moment Biden and his entourage stepped into the White House earlier in the day. (I also watched the entire inauguration as well as the hours of live coverage both before and after he was sworn in. Amanda Gorman was pretty good. Her poem sounded more like prose than poetry to me. I didn't notice any fixed rhyming or rhythm. The exact timing of the actual inauguration from start to finish was ten minutes too soon.)

Brendan O'Neill explains why the woke SJW Left is a far greater threat to what he calls "the American republic" than Trump ever was

All this inauguration fanfare is simply a huge, self-congratulatory pat on the back. Outstretched arms indeed.

(Google Search and YouTube pretty much buried that video with their algorithm. I had to use DuckDuckGo to find it.)
LIBERATE HONG KONG. REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES. CCP DELENDA EST.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.
The case against communism
Definition of radical Islam

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:57 am

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:

This is a massive leap on what I said.

No I do not think that the media do not control people's thoughts. I am not a QAnon-supporting conspiracy hick.

They do however - like all businesses - have interests meaning they frequently engage in sensationalist and biased reporting in order to try and influence their audience.
Add circa 10,000 posts on to current account, founded May 14th 2018. Agarntrop is other account.

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:11 am

Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:
A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:

This is a massive leap on what I said.

No I do not think that the media do not control people's thoughts. I am not a QAnon-supporting conspiracy hick.

They do however - like all businesses - have interests meaning they frequently engage in sensationalist and biased reporting in order to try and influence their audience.

Their primary motive is to engage as many viewers as possible, while creating a receptive state of mind for advertisements. Bear in mind that this is the media in general, not just 24-hour news channels. Most programming is comedy and mentally-easy documentary/drama. Not thinking very much is ideal for selling product.

Promoting their own interests isn't how they make money. It's promoting the interests of other companies that pay to advertise.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:26 am

I sometimes wonder if some of you guys get your concept of how media works from watching some sort of Captain Planet style cartoon.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:31 am

Albrenia wrote:

I dunno. The whole media treating Trump with pity, like you would show a loved one suffering from dementia, could work.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:32 am

Nejii wrote:As an American, I will say the mainstream media and many alternate channels alike are laughable.

Just watch some C-Span and be done with it. I get my daily news from NYTimes, and Kowani. :p
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:35 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:I sometimes wonder if some of you guys get your concept of how media works from watching some sort of Captain Planet style cartoon.

Most media carries advertising, and that pays their bills. The interests of advertisers are embodied in the product itself.

If you think media is formed ONLY by what the consumers enjoy, then I guess that serves to ennoble your own career. I don't see any harm in you continuing to think that way.

Come to think of it, big movies get their pay directly, both in the cinema and in rentals. I consider them leading influences, but fairly minor to the consumers in terms of hours watched. I admit to being biased by not liking the cinema experience.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:53 am

Picairn wrote:
Nejii wrote:As an American, I will say the mainstream media and many alternate channels alike are laughable.

Just watch some C-Span and be done with it. I get my daily news from NYTimes, and Kowani. :p

Imagine my shock

Nejii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:54 am

Picairn wrote:

Very low bias for C-Span, at least according to this.

In truth I don't really mull over which news outlets are "good or bad", so to speak. I utilize multiple sources, though I'm very aware of their various biases. There are outlets though that I typically outright avoid, New York Times typically being one of them.

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:59 am

This US flag....

Thoughts on whether the field of stars redesign works from an aesthetic perspective should that flag become necessary over the next couple of years?

Nejii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:00 am

The Archregimancy wrote:This US flag....

Thoughts on whether the field of stars redesign works from an aesthetic perspective should that flag become necessary over the next couple of years?

Looks great to me. *shrug*

Northern Socialist Council Republics
Senator

Founded: Dec 13, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Northern Socialist Council Republics » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:03 am

Nejii wrote:In truth I don't really mull over which news outlets are "good or bad", so to speak. I utilize multiple sources, though I'm very aware of their various biases. There are outlets though that I typically outright avoid, New York Times typically being one of them.

I know that it’s always good practice to read and compare multiple sources from various perspectives, but that’s more time and effort than I really want to spend on politics.

Unless I’m really interested in a particular issue and the facts surrounding it, an article on BBC will suffice for me.
Call me "Russ" if you're referring to me the out-of-character poster or "NSRS" if you're referring to me the in-character nation.
Previously on Plzen. NationStates-er since 2014.

Social-democrat and hardline secularist.
Come roleplay with us. We have cookies.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:10 am

The Archregimancy wrote:This US flag....

For me it's more pleasing to the eye. It's switched from 9 rows to 6 with tighter horizontal spacing, and thus forms much sharper triangular patternation if you pick out groups of stars. The triangles formed by the star arrangement on the current flag looks squished.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Nejii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:10 am

Northern Socialist Council Republics wrote:
Nejii wrote:In truth I don't really mull over which news outlets are "good or bad", so to speak. I utilize multiple sources, though I'm very aware of their various biases. There are outlets though that I typically outright avoid, New York Times typically being one of them.

I know that it’s always good practice to read and compare multiple sources from various perspectives, but that’s more time and effort than I really want to spend on politics.

Unless I’m really interested in a particular issue and the facts surrounding it, an article on BBC will suffice for me.

Eh, politics and social issues are more interesting to me that social media and ninety percent of television TBH. Not to mention with me working from home and pretty much being in my own zone with a computer and phone all day... well... shrug. Of course work always come first. :D

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:21 am

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I sometimes wonder if some of you guys get your concept of how media works from watching some sort of Captain Planet style cartoon.

Most media carries advertising, and that pays their bills. The interests of advertisers are embodied in the product itself.

If you think media is formed ONLY by what the consumers enjoy, then I guess that serves to ennoble your own career. I don't see any harm in you continuing to think that way.

Come to think of it, big movies get their pay directly, both in the cinema and in rentals. I consider them leading influences, but fairly minor to the consumers in terms of hours watched. I admit to being biased by not liking the cinema experience.

Like I said, some sort of Captain Planet cartoon. And a bit of that good old Dunning Kruger that makes trying to have a realistic conversation about it pretty much impossible.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General