NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics III: New President, Same Old Country

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Chinese Communes
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby United Chinese Communes » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:16 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Basically city dwellers tend to be more tolerant and cognisant of the need for public services than rural.

Easy to imagine why, if you think about it. Statistics show that Republican voters, no matter income level, are much happier than their democrat counterparts. While part of that I think is attributed to faith in God and belief in a good family as the basis of society, living in a rural area is far more of an individualistic lifestyle than urban living is

I would think the opposite, really. Rural, agricultural life is far more immediately dependent on the people around you, despite what the propagandistic ideal of 'Rugged Individualism' would have you believe. Rural communities tend to be much more close-knit than urban ones.
|★ ☭ ★ United Chinese Communes ★ ☭ ★|
The East is Red!

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:16 pm

Bombadil wrote:Hence why strong community programs in cities would really help solve a lot of the problems. There's benefits on both sides of urban vs. rural, good aspects and bad aspects from both - it's just the conversation is so either/or these days.

Apparently being new to an area is a strong determinant of doing crime. Even in inner-cities where mythology is that there's no ""community"" to speak of.
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:17 pm

United Chinese Communes wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:Easy to imagine why, if you think about it. Statistics show that Republican voters, no matter income level, are much happier than their democrat counterparts. While part of that I think is attributed to faith in God and belief in a good family as the basis of society, living in a rural area is far more of an individualistic lifestyle than urban living is

I would think the opposite, really. Rural, agricultural life is far more immediately dependent on the people around you, despite what the propagandistic ideal of 'Rugged Individualism' would have you believe. Rural communities tend to be much more close-knit than urban ones.

...which would explain why they would be happier on average. As people with a sense of belonging in their community would naturally be happier.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:18 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:
You were making sense up to "living in rural areas". There aren't enough rural Republicans (considering they're not ALL Republicans) to account for Republicans generally being ... allegedly happier.

I have to ask you for a source, but I'm not looking forward to "statistics" made up by some guy whose qualifications are "Pastor". Please try to make it a credible source, OK?

Pew Research Center?

Excellent. I rest my case.
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

No State Here
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby No State Here » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:20 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:
You were making sense up to "living in rural areas". There aren't enough rural Republicans (considering they're not ALL Republicans) to account for Republicans generally being ... allegedly happier.

I have to ask you for a source, but I'm not looking forward to "statistics" made up by some guy whose qualifications are "Pastor". Please try to make it a credible source, OK?

Pew Research Center?

I think the thing that stands out here is religiousness. I made a post about this a long time ago on TET, but anyways, I used to be irreligious until this year when I developed faith in God, and overall I would say my life has been much more positive since then, just because of the feeling that someone’s always looking out for me and there’s an end goal to life. If Christianity isn’t your thing, there are many religions, go for the one you think is your "true calling," if you will
Last edited by No State Here on Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abolish NSG

New York Anarcho-Capitalist Minarchist, not an Ancap anymore
Theme
Anthem

United Chinese Communes
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby United Chinese Communes » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:20 pm

Valrifell wrote:
United Chinese Communes wrote:I would think the opposite, really. Rural, agricultural life is far more immediately dependent on the people around you, despite what the propagandistic ideal of 'Rugged Individualism' would have you believe. Rural communities tend to be much more close-knit than urban ones.

...which would explain why they would be happier on average. As people with a sense of belonging in their community would naturally be happier.

Exactly, these kinds of collective communities tend to make people happier than the atomised individualism that characterises life within the nests of capital.

Which really turns KK's point on its head.
|★ ☭ ★ United Chinese Communes ★ ☭ ★|
The East is Red!

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:21 pm

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Hence why strong community programs in cities would really help solve a lot of the problems. There's benefits on both sides of urban vs. rural, good aspects and bad aspects from both - it's just the conversation is so either/or these days.

Apparently being new to an area is a strong determinant of doing crime. Even in inner-cities where mythology is that there's no ""community"" to speak of.

My own personal experience but when I lived in a Tower block I hardly knew my neighbour other than to nod good morning at the elevator. Now I have BBQs with my neighbours on a regular basis.

I'm not using public transport, there's no real crime here so don't need police.. even the fire departments main job is getting cats out of trees.

Hence why religion has such a hold in rural areas, because it's a community moment.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:21 pm

Valrifell wrote:
United Chinese Communes wrote:I would think the opposite, really. Rural, agricultural life is far more immediately dependent on the people around you, despite what the propagandistic ideal of 'Rugged Individualism' would have you believe. Rural communities tend to be much more close-knit than urban ones.

Yes and no. They just have a different set of problems.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Comerciante
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Comerciante » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:22 pm

No State Here wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:Pew Research Center?

I think the thing that stands out here is religiousness. I made a post about this along time ago on TET, but anyways, I used to be irreligious until this year when I developed faith in God, and overall I would say my life has been much more positive since then, just because of the feeling that someone’s always looking out for me and there’s an end goal to life. If Christianity isn’t your thing, there are many religions, go for the one you think is your "true calling," if you will

I praise Dakka.

All the world would be made better if there was more of it.
"Rumors of CFC affiliates building superweapons in orbit over Earth is fake news. Watch groups have corroborated this even though it would be to quote the BoD "totally rad."

#00: "The first step to acquiring real power, is to learn how to steal it from someone else, the second step is learning how to keep it the third step is to restart from the first step."
"Good and Evil are Two Tall Trees sitting upon a hill, the Tree of Good is Strong and Tall and does not bend, the Tree of Evil is Short and Flimsy when the wind blows Good resists, and breaks and falls on the floor and dies and Evil? well, it bends and it lives."

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:23 pm

Bombadil wrote:
A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:

My own personal experience but when I lived in a Tower block I hardly knew my neighbour other than to nod good morning at the elevator. Now I have BBQs with my neighbours on a regular basis.

I'm not using public transport, there's no real crime here so don't need police.. even the fire departments main job is getting cats out of trees.

Hence why religion has such a hold in rural areas, because it's a community moment.

I work with or have worked with three people in my building, I did not find out by running into them here.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:26 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Basically city dwellers tend to be more tolerant and cognisant of the need for public services than rural.

Easy to imagine why, if you think about it. Statistics show that Republican voters, no matter income level, are much happier than their democrat counterparts. While part of that I think is attributed to faith in God and belief in a good family as the basis of society, living in a rural area is far more of an individualistic lifestyle than urban living is

Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:31 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Yes and no. They just have a different set of problems.

City dweller: We've got rats!
Bush dweller: Dead in the water tank?

City dweller: We've got murder!
Bush dweller: Same. And suicide.

City dweller: We've got high taxes!
Bush dweller: Yeah. But no hospital?

City dweller: We've got potholes!
Bush dweller: With SUV's stuck in them?

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:31 pm

Zurkerx wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:The Texas GOP consists of traitors.
How.. surprising.

I'm more surprised the Arizona GOP isn't on this list. The California GOP has gone insane too, and they're almost irrelevant at this point. my question is how we all missed this: because I feel they could get in trouble for this. The GOP definitely needs to reign in on their State and Local affiliates. Otherwise, the party is in for not just a bruising, but also a divided conference.

The Georgia GOP is currently under too much infighting to be considered any form of useful
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:43 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:
I'm more surprised the Arizona GOP isn't on this list. The California GOP has gone insane too, and they're almost irrelevant at this point. my question is how we all missed this: because I feel they could get in trouble for this. The GOP definitely needs to reign in on their State and Local affiliates. Otherwise, the party is in for not just a bruising, but also a divided conference.

The Georgia GOP is currently under too much infighting to be considered any form of useful

curious about the hawaii gop myself

i mean, that's apparently a thing that actually exists

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:45 pm

Cordel One wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:Easy to imagine why, if you think about it. Statistics show that Republican voters, no matter income level, are much happier than their democrat counterparts. While part of that I think is attributed to faith in God and belief in a good family as the basis of society, living in a rural area is far more of an individualistic lifestyle than urban living is

Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

Well exactly. I lived in the country for a bit over a year, and I felt pretty happy at the time. In retrospect I was miserably bored, and the reason I didn't notice is I had a girlfriend the whole time. The place was so isolated it didn't have power or phone line, and it was back when cell coverage was mainly in cities and towns. I could perhaps have afforded satellite but then I'd need power so bugger it. Having a girlfriend was good enough.

Country people need a good internet connection far more than city people do. Some of them are so remote, that satellite (which limit gaming, due to high ping) is the only option. It should be free for them.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:50 pm

Diahon wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:The Georgia GOP is currently under too much infighting to be considered any form of useful

Pretty sure some multiple pages back someone posted something about the Hawaii GOP saying something particularly dumb.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:58 pm

Diahon wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:The Georgia GOP is currently under too much infighting to be considered any form of useful

Platform of the Hawaii GOP. I'm sure there's stuff in there I won't like, but cutting taxes on food and other necessities, and their applause of renewable power, both look alright.

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:03 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Diahon wrote:

Pretty sure some multiple pages back someone posted something about the Hawaii GOP saying something particularly dumb.

One of their senior members expressed support for Capitol insurgents, but I think the official line is "don't impeach, but don't riot either". These are not the Republicans you're looking for, move along

Comerciante
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Comerciante » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:09 pm

I live in Hawaii and I don't even remember they exist even though I should know they do...
"Rumors of CFC affiliates building superweapons in orbit over Earth is fake news. Watch groups have corroborated this even though it would be to quote the BoD "totally rad."

#00: "The first step to acquiring real power, is to learn how to steal it from someone else, the second step is learning how to keep it the third step is to restart from the first step."
"Good and Evil are Two Tall Trees sitting upon a hill, the Tree of Good is Strong and Tall and does not bend, the Tree of Evil is Short and Flimsy when the wind blows Good resists, and breaks and falls on the floor and dies and Evil? well, it bends and it lives."

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:22 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
They also owned slaves and Jefferson raped one of his. Please stop Deifying the founders.

Do you have proof he raped her? How do you know it was not consensual?

I mean she was 14 years old when it started. But please why don't you explain to us how child molestation is okay, cause that's basically what you're saying bro.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:23 pm

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:
She might have felt internal pressure to have sex with him or she might have done it for special privileges like better food and an easier job. Some modern women are intimate with the bosses for the same reason. We don't know the situation and there was no trial. There is a difference between him gently seducing her and her going along with it because of attraction or want of privileges and him just grabbing her and forcing himself on her. It is unfair to assume he raped her just because she is a slave.

Modern women have the option to walk away. A fair contract has to be freely entered, and that makes tacking some other contract onto "you are my slave, you do what I say, you can't walk away" absurdly unfair.

You used to be a libertarian dude. What happened?

Libertarian-alt right pipeline

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:24 pm

The neolib foreign intervention continues.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:25 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:

Is that why the opioid crisis is the worst in Republican states?

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:26 pm

United Chinese Communes wrote: Rural communities tend to be much more close-knit than urban ones.

Which is why they are based.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:40 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
United Chinese Communes wrote: Rural communities tend to be much more close-knit than urban ones.

Which is why they are based.

It's probably also why young people tend to leave. Society is completely dominated by people on average 30 years older than them ... b-o-o-o-o-oring!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General