NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics III: New President, Same Old Country

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:03 pm

Galloism wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Ultimate scam potential. What are you gonna do if he doesn't give you one, admit you tried to buy a pardon?

You know what the danger is in ripping off criminals?

"You come into my house on the day my daughter is to be married and you ask me to do pardons - for money."
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:04 pm

Cordel One wrote:
New haven america wrote:Actually, McDonald's in America is some of the lowest quality fast food you can get, while in other countries it's actually quite nice and respected.

Think about that, a company is worse in its home country than it is overseas.

They're actualy kinda nice in Europe and Japan.

Japan is on a whole different level.

Like yeah, Europe's Micky D's are better than America's, that not a difficult hurdle to get over, but Japan's are wild. Like, some of the stuff in their Micky D's rivals gourmet burgers over here.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:10 pm

New haven america wrote:
Cordel One wrote:They're actualy kinda nice in Europe and Japan.

Japan is on a whole different level.

Like yeah, Europe's Micky D's are better than America's, that not a difficult hurdle to get over, but Japan's are wild. Like, some of the stuff in their Micky D's rivals gourmet burgers over here.

Price of living and exchange rate have to be considered. Out of the US, Maccas is seen as a bit exotic and the price the market will bear is higher, so the national distributor can afford better ingredients.

Mostly. In Australia the meat patty is excellent, eggs or cheese average, and salad quite bad. Salad being a rather small part of the Australian diet (still) and having niche price. Fries are good, I guess because of cheap canola oil that can be changed often.
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:17 pm

Omniabstracta wrote:If there’s one con that Trump pulled more successfully than any other, it’s managing to live rent-free in the heads of millions of Americans for four years.

Indeed, hate him or love him, you can't deny that he's really good at attention-grabbing, dirty tactics and whatnot.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:18 pm

Picairn wrote:
Omniabstracta wrote:If there’s one con that Trump pulled more successfully than any other, it’s managing to live rent-free in the heads of millions of Americans for four years.

Indeed, hate him or love him, you can't deny that he's really good at attention-grabbing, dirty tactics and whatnot.

That's how he got elected, after all.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:20 pm

Picairn wrote:

It's certainly a cause for major concern that such a sleazy, childish, criminal braggart made it to the presidency and after a disastrous 4 years still pulled in 74M votes, convinced them that the election was a fraud resulting in the invasion of the Capitol and death of 5 people.. and people still support him.

I'm not sure people are as shocked as they should be but then I'm not American, not living in the US so hard to understand the state of mind for people.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:24 pm

If that did happen, the only one going down for it would be Giuliani.

The Don don't know nothing about it. That million bucks he found on his desk? Just regular remittances from his staff for the honor of serving the Family.
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:25 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Picairn wrote:Indeed, hate him or love him, you can't deny that he's really good at attention-grabbing, dirty tactics and whatnot.

It's certainly a cause for major concern that such a sleazy, childish, criminal braggart made it to the presidency and after a disastrous 4 years still pulled in 74M votes, convinced them that the election was a fraud resulting in the invasion of the Capitol and death of 5 people.. and people still support him.

I'm not sure people are as shocked as they should be but then I'm not American, not living in the US so hard to understand the state of mind for people.

My state of mind is somewhere between "Oh God we are so fucked" and "There's still hope for America... I hope".
Last edited by Trollzyn the Infinite on Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Loftegen 3
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Loftegen 3 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:30 pm

Joe Biden is my President: Unsere verleibte fuehur! Sieg hiel! Seig heil!"

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:32 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Picairn wrote:Indeed, hate him or love him, you can't deny that he's really good at attention-grabbing, dirty tactics and whatnot.

I don't know if it's that shocking, empires find all sorts of ways to kill themselves.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:32 pm

Loftegen 3 wrote:Joe Biden is my President: Unsere verleibte fuehur! Sieg hiel! Seig heil!"

General is English Only, except in the marked other-language threads.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:32 pm

Bombadil wrote:

Honestly, we’re suffering a bit of collective bipartisan insanity. At least enough of us to be a major problem.

But one side of that divide seems to have more of that problem than the other.

Give us a couple years of therapy and we’ll let you know how it goes.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010

Postby Myrensis » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:33 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

My state of mind is somewhere between "Oh God we are so fucked" and "There's still hope for America... I hope".

I'm pretty solidly in the former camp.

Watching the GOP gleefully cast off the chains of reality has pretty much convinced me that America's long festering conservative cancer is terminal.

Biden winning and taking back the Senate is nice, but it's more like hospice care at this point. I fully expect Republicans to take back at least 1 chamber in Congress in 2022, mostly with the aid of millions of bobbleheaded centrists blithering airily about the benefits of divided government and besides it's been two whole years since the last time Republicans tried to overturn American democracy, don't they deserve a second chance?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:33 pm

Loftegen 3 wrote:Joe Biden is my President: Unsere verleibte fuehur! Sieg hiel! Seig heil!"

This raises an interesting question, what becomes of the troll army that was nurtured around Trump for the last four years? Without a focal point will they just go back to this scatter shot nonsense, or will they find a new messiah?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:35 pm

Myrensis wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:

Watching the GOP gleefully cast off the chains of reality has pretty much convinced me that America's long festering conservative cancer is terminal.

Biden winning and taking back the Senate is nice, but it's more like hospice care at this point. I fully expect Republicans to take back at least 1 chamber in Congress in 2022, mostly with the aid of millions of bobbleheaded centrists blithering airily about the benefits of divided government and besides it's been two whole years since the last time Republicans tried to overturn American democracy, don't they deserve a second chance?

Tbh, given how this election went, barely holding onto the house and losing a couple more state legislatures, I think 2022 is going to be a bit of a nightmare.

Nah, not a bit. Just a nightmare.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:40 pm

Galloism wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

Tbh, given how this election went, barely holding onto the house and losing a couple more state legislatures, I think 2022 is going to be a bit of a nightmare.

Well quite, as I told someone who was looking forward to the end of 2020.. there's no guarantee 2021 is going to be better. It'll be interesting to watch I guess.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:40 pm

Galloism wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Honestly, we’re suffering a bit of collective bipartisan insanity. At least enough of us to be a major problem.

There's a political solution to the "bipartisan insanity" problem. Saner parties, united in para-bipartisan sanity, to sweep the nation. It's the Green-Libertarian Alliance For Weed and Other Good Stuff, or GLAFWOGS party!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:41 pm

A-Series-Of-Tubes wrote:
Galloism wrote:Honestly, we’re suffering a bit of collective bipartisan insanity. At least enough of us to be a major problem.

There's a political solution to the "bipartisan insanity" problem. Saner parties, united in para-bipartisan sanity, to sweep the nation. It's the Green-Libertarian Alliance For Weed and Other Good Stuff, or GLAFWOGS party!

Your name is approved for usage.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:43 pm

Galloism wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

Eh, at some point the Military will have enough and coup the mess.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:43 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Galloism wrote:Tbh, given how this election went, barely holding onto the house and losing a couple more state legislatures, I think 2022 is going to be a bit of a nightmare.

That’s not likely to improve matters.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:46 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Galloism wrote:Tbh, given how this election went, barely holding onto the house and losing a couple more state legislatures, I think 2022 is going to be a bit of a nightmare.

Not to be too doom-ery but conditions in the US are eerily similar to early 30's Germany, only takes a good old recession this next term for America to choose something even more radical.

十年

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:46 pm

Galloism wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

That’s not likely to improve matters.

Probably better than continuing to elect nutters who have no issue throwing the country under the bus for their own self-interest.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:47 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Not to be too doom-ery but conditions in the US are eerily similar to early 30's Germany, only takes a good old recession this next term for America to choose something even more radical.

Iirc, it's not actually true that a recession was the reason for the Nazis taking control of Germany.

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:52 pm

Galloism wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

I thought the legislative process getting jammed when one or both parties refuse to act like adults, was a feature not a bug?

What concerns me is that continuing because it seems to be gradually transferring more and more power to the Presidency. It's like the safety valve on a boiler releasing more-or-less constantly, or pretty much any machine still working, but only in its fallback fault mode.

But there's a way to reduce the power of the Presidency. It's for the President themselves to propose repeal of all those clauses in important legislation, which give discretion to the President. Surely Congress isn't so deranged and divided that it doesn't want its power back?

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:55 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Iirc, it's not actually true that a recession was the reason for the Nazis taking control of Germany.

*cough*

Rise of the Nazis is classic threadjack material, wouldn't you say?
Last edited by A-Series-Of-Tubes on Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General