NATION

PASSWORD

Tank Tour Tuition

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Would you accept the challenge and Tank it?

Yes, Tanks for the Tuition (sign me up as Loader)
9%
Yes, Tanks for the Tuition (sign me up as Driver)
13%
Yes, Tanks for the Tuition (sign me up as Gunner)
16%
Yes, Tanks for the Tuition (sign me up as Commander)
9%
No, Tanks but no Tanks
53%

Total votes : 32

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Tank Tour Tuition

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:04 pm

Please consider the following hypothetical:

You may choose to go back to 2003 (in the scenario, your age would be warped to an age appropriate for service) and serve and fight as part of a US tank crew going into the Iraq War. The challenge is that you have to stay in Iraq for 3 years (this would extend into the counter-insurgency). If you are sent back, severely wounded, or discharged in any way, you fail the challenge. To succeed the challenge, you must remain in the tank division throughout.

Please assume that the US military would let you stay and fight for 5 years as a tank crew member (unless you are severely injured, seriously misbehave, or start to show signs of being unfit for active duty).

The challenge would start months before the actual war so you would receive proper combat training and know how to operate the tank.

What’s the reward?

The reward is that you get to bless up to 10 selected individuals (including yourself) and they will receive unlimited and legal free tuition credits for all education levels unrestricted. The blessed parties would still have to apply and be accepted to those institutions. However, as a bonus, the probability of acceptance for all applications would be raised by 10 percent points (so if your chance of being accepted to Stanford was 0.01 percent, it would be 10.01 percent now).

Also, let’s add the stipulation that you can choose a permanent assigned role for the whole tour:

1. Loader
2. Gunner
3. Driver
4. Commander

After the challenge (of if you fail), you’ll be teleported back to this timeline (and be restored to current age). However, any injuries sustained would remain.

Do you accept this? Yes? No? Why? If you say yes, which tank role would you choose and why?

Go.

I’m satisfied with my education so I wouldn’t accept. 10 other people could benefit if I did the challenge but the cost to my life and inconvenience seems high. If I were to do it, I would choose Driver.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:07 pm

No, I graduated from university back in 1997 when almost nobody in Britain knew what a tuition fee even was :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:09 pm

This sounds like one of those Steel Battalion scenarios, but with an actual tank instead of a mech.

Personally speaking, I would not accept, partially because I already went through university recently, and also because tanks, while badass, are a bit of a hassle. They need to be constantly maintained, and some of the causalities are not due to the battle; you could get knocked out and potentially die from lethal gas build-up, or your arms being caught and snapped by the moving parts.

That and I am a darn 8 years old in 2003.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:10 pm

No. I wasn't the age to go to war or go to university in 2003, and I am exempt from military service.

Even if a was the right age and not exempt, I wouldn't have fought in the Iraq War, which a million of my countrymen marched against.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:13 pm

I'd do it, sure. Military service is an experience that all young people should have. I'd pick Tank Commander.
Last edited by Sundiata on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:14 pm

Valentine Z wrote:This sounds like one of those Steel Battalion scenarios, but with an actual tank instead of a mech.

Personally speaking, I would not accept, partially because I already went through university recently, and also because tanks, while badass, are a bit of a hassle. They need to be constantly maintained, and some of the causalities are not due to the battle; you could get knocked out and potentially die from lethal gas build-up, or your arms being caught and snapped by the moving parts.

Sorry, I change it a bit.

I see what you’re getting at.

Yeah let’s make it so that if you do the time travel you change age too. I edited yo reflect that.

Still no due to danger?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:16 pm

Sundiata wrote:I'd do it, sure. Military service is an experience that all young people should have. I'd pick Tank Commander.

I see. The M1 Abram is powerful. Can the commander fire the .50 cal machine gun on top or is it rarely used that way?

Has anyone served?
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:17 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Sorry, I change it a bit.

Yeah let’s make it so that if you do the time travel you change age too. I edited yo reflect that.

Still no due to danger?

Honestly speaking, nah. It's not just because of the age - it's also due to things I have aforementioned. Tanks are badass, but they come with a lot of danger and risks... and the mundane maintenance that I get from the military even on an infantry / artillery level.

I did artillery/mortar as part of my conscription, and maintaining that thing was a chore. A tank is even more of a chore.

EDIT: I technically served, but as Singapore's conscript (so no war, just usual military stuff and trainings), but no tanks. I have only read about tanks from second-hand sources.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:18 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:This sounds like one of those Steel Battalion scenarios, but with an actual tank instead of a mech.

Sorry, I change it a bit.

Still no due to danger?

So, now you edited the scenario so your age changes so you would be able to fight.

As pretty much all of us would be alive, having two versions of us alive at the same time would probably break the space-time continuum.

If the adult version of myself in 2003 died in a war I didn't support (which is distinctly possible), the real version could, too (at least according to much sci fi, which is all we have to work on as, thank god, this tech does not exist)

Then there would be no version typing this, explaining why I think it's such a stupid idea.

Still, no.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:20 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Sorry, I change it a bit.

Still no due to danger?

Honestly speaking, nah. It's not just because of the age - it's also due to things I have aforementioned. Tanks are badass, but they come with a lot of danger and risks... and the mundane maintenance that I get from the military even on an infantry / artillery level.

I did artillery/mortar as part of my conscription, and maintaining that thing was a chore. A tank is even more of a chore.

EDIT: I technically served, but as Singapore's conscript (so no war, just usual military stuff and trainings), but no tanks. I have only read about tanks from second-hand sources.

I’ve heard it can be uncomfortable inside the tanks too

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:21 pm

"Sgt. I see the enemy bearing S 45° E, what are your orders?"

Six year old me - "Shoot the hombe gun Amerikaner! Show die terries who's baas!"

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:25 pm

Heloin wrote:"Sgt. I see the enemy bearing S 45° E, what are your orders?"

Six year old me - "Shoot the hombe gun Amerikaner! Show die terries who's baas!"

Apparently, the OP has been edited so that now you would age up to be able to serve in the US military.

So, I theorise that six-year-old you (the real one) would still be running around, and now an artificially aged you with the mind of a six-year-old would be in charge of a tank.

Or, in my case -- and possibly more dangerous -- an artificially aged hormonal teenager.

This won't cause a temporal paradox, at all. /s
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:29 pm

Commander Heloin?

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:31 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:

Apparently, the OP has been edited so that now you would age up to be able to serve in the US military.

So, I theorise that six-year-old you (the real one) would still be running around, and now an artificially aged you with the mind of a six-year-old would be in charge of a tank.

Or, in my case -- and possibly more dangerous -- an artificially aged hormonal teenager.

I refuse to rewrite my jokes just because the OP was edited while I reminded myself how compass bearings actually are spoken. Little me who doesn't know what an VSA or Irak are thinks being a troopie is just something cool and I'm going to make a tenk go boom!

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:34 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Commander Heloin?

She isn't big enough to carry a gun and thinks tying her own shoes this morning is really cool.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:35 pm

Heloin wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Apparently, the OP has been edited so that now you would age up to be able to serve in the US military.

I refuse to rewrite my jokes just because the OP was edited while I reminded myself how compass bearings actually are spoken. Little me who doesn't know what an VSA or Irak are thinks being a troopie is just something cool and I'm going to make a tenk go boom!

Well, an artificially aged six year old is still, internally, a six year old, so they probably would just be running around going "Tank go boom!"

The artificially aged teenager would probably be, "They called me a name behind my back! Destroy them!" ["But, Commander, they're on our side?"] "Did I say I care?" :p

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:36 pm

No way. The military is even more oppressive than a regular job, and I could never stand regular jobs. With military service, you're not only on call 24/7/365, you have to take orders like an android all that time and not tell the boss to stick it. On top of that, they wake you up at Godawful-o-clock all the time, unless you're lucky enough to permanently get yourself onto night guard duty or something. And in this scenario, you're stuck putting up with this shit for 3 years!

No, no, no. I'll stick to my freelance writing. I'm not on call, I don't take commands nor guff, nobody gets to be my "superior," and the mornings can fuck right off. I can always save up if I seriously decide that going back to school is worth the money.
Last edited by Victorious Decepticons on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:27 am

Victorious Decepticons wrote:No way. The military is even more oppressive than a regular job, and I could never stand regular jobs. With military service, you're not only on call 24/7/365, you have to take orders like an android all that time and not tell the boss to stick it. On top of that, they wake you up at Godawful-o-clock all the time, unless you're lucky enough to permanently get yourself onto night guard duty or something. And in this scenario, you're stuck putting up with this shit for 3 years!

No, no, no. I'll stick to my freelance writing. I'm not on call, I don't take commands nor guff, nobody gets to be my "superior," and the mornings can fuck right off. I can always save up if I seriously decide that going back to school is worth the money.

I see... this makes sense

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:28 am

Is Steel Battalion good?

Atheara
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheara » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:32 am

Hell yes, i like Warfare, no matter what the cost. As long as i can load the guns with explosive shells then sure!
A T H E A R A | A N A I A
"I'm not sure about being as obvious as other people."
Football
Jenna Raven Cup I Champions!
3rd in the 75th Baptism of Fire!

Ice Hockey
3rd in the 19th World Junior Hockey Championships!
Ro32 in the 47th World Cup of Hockey
If you were wondering, the girl on my flag is Vill V from Honkai Impact 3rd. Your welcome.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:32 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Is Steel Battalion good?

The original one has a badass controller with all the knobs and buttons.

There is a remake... on a Kinect. That went as bad as one expects.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:34 am

Atheara wrote:Hell yes, i like Warfare, no matter what the cost. As long as i can load the guns with explosive shells then sure!

You prefer to load and not fire? :)

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:35 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Is Steel Battalion good?

The original one has a badass controller with all the knobs and buttons.

There is a remake... on a Kinect. That went as bad as one expects.

I googled it the interface looks amazing

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:09 am

Well my kids are though school, so no. If I had 8 kids, and no income maybe.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:30 am

I marched against that war.

Why would I do this?
The Blaatschapen should resign

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads