NATION

PASSWORD

Ailurocracy Thread I: Shall some national leaders be feline?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support non-human political leadership?

Yes
26%
No
64%
Neutral
7%
Other (please explain)
4%

Total votes : 136

Istoreya
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Istoreya » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:19 am

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Istoreya wrote:Source please?

For a country as populous as Germany how many people would love to watch the national cat videos?

I don't know how many, I'm asking you to tell me. Give me a source.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:20 am

Istoreya wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
For a country as populous as Germany how many people would love to watch the national cat videos?

I don't know how many, I'm asking you to tell me. Give me a source.

It doesn’t exist right now since nobody attempted that before. But it is worth trying.
Welcome to the Nekostan-e Gharbi. Our ancestors were a group of genetically enhanced Israeli cats raised by two Iranian Jewish women, Rachel Davidi and Esther Moshel. We are a constitutional monarchy where a line of benevolent and powerless feline queens “guide” the citizens or more precisely are the subject of their constant gossiping.

Current Queen: Sarah IV (House of Moshel)
Current Prime Minister: Dr. Elisheva Cohen (she is fine with Elizabeth for non-Hebrew speakers) from Likud
Cats rule; dogs drool; Israel rocks; China sucks.
Abolish China and save lives.
What is Sinostatism?
Must read on China by David Goldman https://www.tabletmag.com/amp/sections/ ... ina-empire

Istoreya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Istoreya » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:23 am

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Istoreya wrote:I don't know how many, I'm asking you to tell me. Give me a source.

It doesn’t exist right now since nobody attempted that before. But it is worth trying.

No, it isn't worth trying because that would involve uprooting the political system of an entire country just to find out how many people like cat livestreams. And as someone who spends a lot of her time being concerned with what classes as an ethical and feasible study - this ain't it.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:12 am

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Istoreya wrote:Why bother? People don't need to be watching this President 24/7. It's only going to cost more to have this constant stream going. The point is to reduce costs, is it not?

Ads. There are enough people who want to watch the Presidential Cat to make money off the ads. The net cost of a feline ceremonial presidency is likely negative.

Notwithstanding Istoreya's earlier questions, can you name me one government in the real world that voluntarily places advertisements on any of their YouTube (or similar) videos?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:29 am

Istoreya wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

No, it isn't worth trying because that would involve uprooting the political system of an entire country just to find out how many people like cat livestreams. And as someone who spends a lot of her time being concerned with what classes as an ethical and feasible study - this ain't it.

A dry run in a parliamentary democracy actually can be tried. If we popularize the idea of a feline presidency for half a year we can then begin to poll people.
Welcome to the Nekostan-e Gharbi. Our ancestors were a group of genetically enhanced Israeli cats raised by two Iranian Jewish women, Rachel Davidi and Esther Moshel. We are a constitutional monarchy where a line of benevolent and powerless feline queens “guide” the citizens or more precisely are the subject of their constant gossiping.

Current Prime Minister: Dr. Elisheva Cohen (she is fine with Elizabeth for non-Hebrew speakers) from Likud
What is Sinostatism?
Must read on China by David Goldman https://www.tabletmag.com/amp/sections/ ... ina-empire

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:30 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Ads. There are enough people who want to watch the Presidential Cat to make money off the ads. The net cost of a feline ceremonial presidency is likely negative.

Notwithstanding Istoreya's earlier questions, can you name me one government in the real world that voluntarily places advertisements on any of their YouTube (or similar) videos?

The United States. At least the Armed Forces does that.

What is Sinostatism?

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:58 am

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:Notwithstanding Istoreya's earlier questions, can you name me one government in the real world that voluntarily places advertisements on any of their YouTube (or similar) videos?

But that's the army, not the government.
It may be connected to the government, but that's about it.
I think all armies post ads from time to time.
Yugoslavia's back baby...

How the hell did this happen?
Well...we don't actually know. Just sort of happened one day.
Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

Istoreya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Istoreya » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:37 pm

New yugoslavaia wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

British person here. I see army ads a lot.
It got particularly annoying a few days ago when, after a conversation with my boyfriend about how I would not ever like to join the army, I got a whole bunch of navy ads on YouTube.

I still don't see the point of wasting government resources to poll if people like a fake President. Neko has already described how this cat has no power and doesn't actually replace a person who is actually in charge, meaning all that's actually happening is the government is spending MORE money on fancy President Cat clothes and everything else that is necessary for the real human leader because the real human leader is still going to have all the expenses a current leader would have.

So once again, it seems that this entire idea is just spawned of Neko's love for cats and isn't actually about the government so much as it is wanting 24/7 cat livestreams, which can be made without needing to be at the government's expense. So can we let the thread die yet? I promise this time if Neko keeps trying to revive it, I'll not poke the bear with a stick.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:47 pm

Istoreya wrote:
New yugoslavaia wrote:

It got particularly annoying a few days ago when, after a conversation with my boyfriend about how I would not ever like to join the army, I got a whole bunch of navy ads on YouTube.

I still don't see the point of wasting government resources to poll if people like a fake President. Neko has already described how this cat has no power and doesn't actually replace a person who is actually in charge, meaning all that's actually happening is the government is spending MORE money on fancy President Cat clothes and everything else that is necessary for the real human leader because the real human leader is still going to have all the expenses a current leader would have.

So once again, it seems that this entire idea is just spawned of Neko's love for cats and isn't actually about the government so much as it is wanting 24/7 cat livestreams, which can be made without needing to be at the government's expense. So can we let the thread die yet? I promise this time if Neko keeps trying to revive it, I'll not poke the bear with a stick.

The point of ailurocracy is getting rid of PURELY CEREMONIAL POSITIONS IN EXISTING PARLIAMENTARY DEMOCRACIES such as President of Germany and President of Israel. How can a cat be more expensive than the President of Germany? The President of Germany is expensive and doesn’t need to be there. So why not replace him with a cat that can bring in revenue instead?
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What is Sinostatism?

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:49 pm

Istoreya wrote:
New yugoslavaia wrote:

Yeah. This is a pretty silly idea. It's more author appeal than a credible political philosophy (even if they do claim it's "serious").

Might accept something similar if the leader was a cat-person.

Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:49 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Istoreya wrote:British person here. I see army ads a lot.

The point of ailurocracy is getting rid of PURELY CEREMONIAL POSITIONS IN EXISTING PARLIAMENTARY DEMOCRACIES such as President of Germany and President of Israel. How can a cat be more expensive than the President of Germany? The President of Germany is expensive and doesn’t need to be there. So why not replace him with a cat that can bring in revenue instead?

And using an inanimate object is even more cost effective.
Last edited by New yugoslavaia on Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Yugoslavia just is.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:51 pm

New yugoslavaia wrote:
Istoreya wrote:British person here. I see army ads a lot.

Yeah. This is a pretty silly idea. It's more author appeal than a credible political philosophy (even if they do claim it's "serious").

If ceremonial leaders have to exist why not replace them with felines?

What is Sinostatism?

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:52 pm

New yugoslavaia wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:The point of ailurocracy is getting rid of PURELY CEREMONIAL POSITIONS IN EXISTING PARLIAMENTARY DEMOCRACIES such as President of Germany and President of Israel. How can a cat be more expensive than the President of Germany? The President of Germany is expensive and doesn’t need to be there. So why not replace him with a cat that can bring in revenue instead?

And using an inanimate object is even more cost effective.

Nope. Inanimate objects do not bring in revenue. Cats do.

What is Sinostatism?

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:53 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
New yugoslavaia wrote:

And as I said, why not replace with an inanimate object with low upkeep/maintenance costs.

New Yugoslavia just is.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:54 pm

New yugoslavaia wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

And as I said, why not replace with an inanimate object with low upkeep/maintenance costs.

The net cost of inanimate objects is almost zero. Yet the net cost of cats can be negative especially if the cat is sufficiently popular.

What is Sinostatism?

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:56 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
New yugoslavaia wrote:

The net cost of inanimate objects is almost zero. Yet the net cost of cats can be negative especially if the cat is sufficiently popular.

Until people get bored of watching a cat in silly clothes.
If people wanted to see that, they'd just use the internet.

Admit it, this whole idea is just because you like cats. Your love for the animals is both in your name and sig. Any other animal could work for this.
Last edited by New yugoslavaia on Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

New Yugoslavia just is.

Istoreya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Istoreya » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:00 pm

Because the better option would be to remove the ceremonial position entirely because it's already redundant and there's now need for the government to be bringing in any revenue for it. Seriously, can we let this thread die? I would be at least slightly more interested in the topic if Neko would accept that he's literally just trying to make this about cats, when if the aim is to replace it with something people like, the answer is not cats. It's dogs. And more dogs. And even more dogs.
Last edited by Istoreya on Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:22 pm

Yeah, I'm going to leave this place to rot too.
This is a stupid idea, and the fact that only two people keep responding is proof.
Bumping this thread with boastful lies will not help.

New Yugoslavia just is.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:34 pm

Istoreya wrote:Because the better option would be to remove the ceremonial position entirely because it's already redundant and there's now need for the government to be bringing in any revenue for it. Seriously, can we let this thread die? I would be at least slightly more interested in the topic if Neko would accept that he's literally just trying to make this about cats, when if the aim is to replace it with something people like, the answer is not cats. It's dogs. And more dogs. And even more dogs.

If that’s what people are likely to vote for, so be it.

What is Sinostatism?

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:24 am

New yugoslavaia wrote:Yeah, I'm going to leave this place to rot too.
This is a stupid idea, and the fact that only two people keep responding is proof.

It is an interesting idea. While the exact form will likely not be acted upon. Some alternative may work though. For example getting rid of the head of state altogether might be a good idea.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

What is Sinostatism?

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:05 am

My cat has declared herself Queen. Ailurocracy has already been achieved.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

What is Sinostatism?

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:12 am

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
New yugoslavaia wrote:Yeah, I'm going to leave this place to rot too.

It is an interesting idea. While the exact form will likely not be acted upon. Some alternative may work though. For example getting rid of the head of state altogether might be a good idea.

It even has precedent. Caligula after all may (or may not) have been planning to make his horse a consul.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:21 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

It even has precedent. Caligula after all may (or may not) have been planning to make his horse a consul.

I agree. This is not even a novel idea. It did start in Rome.

What is Sinostatism?

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:32 am

Ailurocracy has already been achieved. The people want cats in power.

What is Sinostatism?

A-Series-Of-Tubes
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby A-Series-Of-Tubes » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:43 am

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Istoreya wrote:1. Give a source if you want to claim that more people think replacing the president with a goddamn cat is a good idea than think a multi-party system is a good idea.
2. Maybe take the hint that no-one is replying because no-one wants to participate in this conversation anymore because it's a silly idea.

The percentage of people who voted in favor of the Ailurocracy significantly exceeds the percentage of people voting for Libertarians, Greens or another non-Blue non-Red party. This is strong evidence that the ailurocracy is likely fairly popular.

The same way The Joke Option gets more votes than "Death Penalty by electric chair" and "Death Penalty by electric eel".

It's "I'm only taking this poll because you called me up, you're not trying to sell me something, and you don't want my bank account details" level of interest in politics.

If that's the side you're on, you might as well leave. Taking the politics out of NS is like trying to take a cat out of a dog.
True Centrist: Someone who changes the subject whenever it sounds like politics.
Please don't report each other to find out if a rule was broken ... If you're not sure, do not report.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General