NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics Impeachment: 2 fast? No, we're 2 furious

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:15 am

Tarsonis wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
"No see it's not cruel because other people have been crueler so their cruelty nullifies my own. Now get back to work, slave prisoner, or I'll beat cane you again."

At the same time, some of these nordic prisons are almost worth the price of admission considering their amenities

They are a bit too nice to their criminals. I believe in being humane but not treating them better than poor people are being treated. It is possibly better to be a prisoner in Norway than a lower-class American in Detroit or LA or another one of our fine third-world American cities.
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:15 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:Some random person isn't a country. If the actual government of Afghanistan declared actual war on the US, then the US would be perfectly justified in attacking them.

That's what declarations of war are literally for.

Your idea makes it too easy to go to war. There is a difference between a few words and actual action. Perhaps a minister got excited and made a declaration of war but while the govt. was preparing to attack, they realized it would be a bad idea.

Also, did the govt. of Iraq or Afghanistan make an official declaration of war against the USA? How about Libya, Syria, or Yemen? We attacked people in those countries and used the tired 'war on terrorism' argument.

One could easily argue that Americans are also terrorists. How do you think Iraqis felt about being attacked? How about people in Serbia (including Chinese people killed at the US embassy there)? There is a reason Americans are so hated around the world and it is for more than just the lousy pop music, gas guzzling SUVs, and unhealthy junk food we exported to other places.

Bro seriously stop with the strawmans and false equivalences. Holy shit.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:16 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:Some random person isn't a country. If the actual government of Afghanistan declared actual war on the US, then the US would be perfectly justified in attacking them.

Your idea makes it too easy to go to war.

No it doesn't. Show me how many times the government of, say, Yemen has formally declared war on the United States. If we had waited for a formal declaration of war, we wouldn't be involved there.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Esalia
Minister

Founded: Oct 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Esalia » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:16 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:
At the same time, some of these nordic prisons are almost worth the price of admission considering their amenities

They are a bit too nice to their criminals. I believe in being humane but not treating them better than poor people are being treated. It is possibly better to be a prisoner in Norway than a lower-class American in Detroit or LA or another one of our fine third-world American cities.

Sounds like a good reason to raise the quality of life of the lower classes then.
Formerly Estanglia.

Pro: Things I think are good.
Anti: Things I think are bad.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:16 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:

That is an indictment of the appalling conditions we let free and innocent people live in, not a black mark against Norwegian prisons.

Ifreann wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:
We don't have to send private ships to international waters. Also, if they attack a US navy ship, then we have the right to attack them. If they attack a private ship in international waters it is a bit trickier. Perhaps we could just attack five or ten of their ships and then call it even with no need for war. We will even tell them ahead of time that it is a tit-for-tat attack and after we attack X number of ships, we will be even. If they attack another private ship, we will attack 5-10 of their ships again. We will also warn them that if they attack a military ship, it is justification for war.

"call it even with no need for war"

Yeah, I bet if the US Navy had just sank ten Nazi Kriegsmarine vessels then Hitler would have considered it even.

Famously a man who did not hold grudges.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:16 am

Ifreann wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:
We don't have to send private ships to international waters. Also, if they attack a US navy ship, then we have the right to attack them. If they attack a private ship in international waters it is a bit trickier. Perhaps we could just attack five or ten of their ships and then call it even with no need for war. We will even tell them ahead of time that it is a tit-for-tat attack and after we attack X number of ships, we will be even. If they attack another private ship, we will attack 5-10 of their ships again. We will also warn them that if they attack a military ship, it is justification for war.

Yeah, I bet if the US Navy had just sank ten Nazi Kriegsmarine vessels then Hitler would have considered it even.

"We sunk one of your subs for every one of our ships sunk."

"Oh wow, you really showed me. I guess I'll sue for peace then and stop attacking you. GG, guys."
Last edited by Trollzyn the Infinite on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Omniabstracta
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Omniabstracta » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:17 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:

Your idea makes it too easy to go to war. There is a difference between a few words and actual action. Perhaps a minister got excited and made a declaration of war but while the govt. was preparing to attack, they realized it would be a bad idea.

Also, did the govt. of Iraq or Afghanistan make an official declaration of war against the USA? How about Libya, Syria, or Yemen? We attacked people in those countries and used the tired 'war on terrorism' argument.

One could easily argue that Americans are also terrorists. How do you think Iraqis felt about being attacked? How about people in Serbia (including Chinese people killed at the US embassy there)? There is a reason Americans are so hated around the world and it is for more than just the lousy pop music, gas guzzling SUVs, and unhealthy junk food we exported to other places.

That’s not how a declaration of war works. A declaration of war is a formal action, transmitted and signed through a long chain of command and through the formal ambassadorial channels between two nations.

A guy doesn’t just get up one day and “declare war” by saying so any more than you “declare bankruptcy” by getting up on a rooftop and shouting about it. A formal declaration of war, like the kind Germany made, is not something one rogue minister can do by accident or out of passion, or just “a few words,” or whatever else you seem to think it is.
Last edited by Omniabstracta on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was golden, purple, violet, gray and blue. It lighted every peak, crevasse and ridge of the nearby mountain range with a clarity and beauty that cannot be described but must be seen to be imagined. It was that beauty that the great poets dream about but describe most poorly and inadequately..."

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:17 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Page wrote:
Japan attacked the US, the US declared war on Japan, Germany declared war on the US.

They can declare war (as Germany did) but until they physically attack us, we have no right to attack them.

The current attacks in the Middle East are also not justified because they are not attacking the USA. I am curious if Biden will be another murderer as Bush (both of them), Clinton, Reagan, Obama, and Trump have been or will Biden be better and be a man of peace that only attacks with proper cause (being attacked first).

I hope Biden gets us out of NATO as well. We need a strong border defense but it is time to bring the troops home and reduce the size of the military. Are democrats the party of peace or not??

If a state declares war upon another state, you are at war. You do not need to wait for a nation you are at war with to strike you before you can attack them in turn.

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard today.

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:19 am

Senkaku wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

That is an indictment of the appalling conditions we let free and innocent people live in, not a black mark against Norwegian prisons.

Ifreann wrote:"call it even with no need for war"

Famously a man who did not hold grudges.

Also, famously, a man who was very restrained when it came to warfare. And never started anything without just cause. We could learn a lot from Freiheit's idols about how to conduct ourselves with calm, cool consideration. And avoid unnecessary conflict.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:19 am

Ifreann wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

The ball would be in his court. If he insisted on attacking a US navy ship then NOW we would have just cause for war and other countries would likely feel we were justified in fighting back. Even Germans would likely feel we were justified in fighting back even if they hated us for doing so. Many people feel we were right to attack Japan in WWII but wrong to attack Iraq or Vietnam and it is because Japan attacked us first. We kept the moral high ground.
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:19 am

If anybody ever forfeited their national sovereignty in the 20th century it was the Nazis.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Esalia
Minister

Founded: Oct 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Esalia » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:20 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:

If you think "if they officially declare war, it's fair game to invade them" too easy of a standard, I have to wonder how you define easy.

I can't recall a war where some random minister said "we're gonna invade you!" and the two countries involved went "welp, guess we have to fight now!".
Formerly Estanglia.

Pro: Things I think are good.
Anti: Things I think are bad.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:21 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:

The ball would be in his court. If he insisted on attacking a US navy ship then NOW we would have just cause for war and other countries would likely feel we were justified in fighting back. Even Germans would likely feel we were justified in fighting back even if they hated us for doing so. Many people feel we were right to attack Japan in WWII but wrong to attack Iraq or Vietnam and it is because Japan attacked us first. We kept the moral high ground.

It's amazing how you utterly fail to understand the concept of war.

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:22 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:Illegal immigrants are criminals.

That's just not true: most have committed only a civil offence.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:22 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:

Honestly flabbergasted.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Omniabstracta
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Omniabstracta » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:23 am

Atheris wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

Honestly flabbergasted.

This is your brain on the NAP.
"It was golden, purple, violet, gray and blue. It lighted every peak, crevasse and ridge of the nearby mountain range with a clarity and beauty that cannot be described but must be seen to be imagined. It was that beauty that the great poets dream about but describe most poorly and inadequately..."

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:23 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:Illegal immigrants are criminals.

That's just not true: most have committed only a civil offence.

Illegal immigration is a crime under US Code bro.

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:23 am

Mfw you see literal banditry being rewarded by the Germans on the Eastern Front and go "let's not go to war with these outlaws".
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:24 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:

And yet no one (except maybe you and your friends) thinks the US was in the wrong to attack Nazi Germany. Funny that.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:24 am

#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:25 am

Dogmeat wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

And yet no one (except maybe you and your friends) thinks the US was in the wrong to attack Nazi Germany. Funny that.

It was a literal country of thieves and bandits and yet we have "let's have peace with these guys".

MT/MagicT

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:25 am

Dogmeat wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

It's fundamentally impossible to be wrong for fighting Fascists. It is a moral imperative to attack and destroy Fascism wherever it appears.

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:26 am

Dogmeat wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

Oh so the guy who wants to run a ripoff Auschwitz is also a nazi? Imagine my shock. :roll: :roll:
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:26 am

If a nation officially declares war on your nation then your in a state of war. If your in a state of war meaning the declarer has stated they intend to attack you(whether or not that is feasible is not really relevant) meaning you have every right to fight back. The US was well within its right to attack Germany after it declared war.
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:27 am

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:

The fact that you see this as a problem with Norway, rather than a problem with America, is the fundamental flaw in your position.

Also:

I believe in being humane

Don't fucking lie.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General