NATION

PASSWORD

What do you get out of NSG discussions? (How to get more?)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:38 am

Muralos wrote:
Nakena wrote:
Its more rewarding because people put more effort in reading + responding.

You can write some effort or content post on NSG, short or long and it get wasted. No responses or just slided down by next page, as a dozen people make some oneliners.

Then you make one controversial trash take, ideally containing some buzzword regarding trigger issues like "guns" "gender" "race" or anything similar and you'd get a lot responses. Because people feel like inclined to make a moral or political stance against or for something. Virtue signalling. So it's a symphony (or more a cacophonia) of signalling really most of the time. And if your post doesnt contains any of that, it will likely be ignored, because lack of signal in such an environment equals invalid content that merits no response.

Wow, I think I’m getting that impression on NSG. A lot of replies I’ve made are glossed over, perhaps because they’re very short or very milquetoast when it comes to tone. That’s fine by me, but if NSG rewards polemical and fiery responses more than anything else, I’d rather not give into that, lol.

The past days are really confirming this for me. Effort content gets no response. Trash one does. And people are incapable of understanding irony or humor.
Last edited by Nakena on Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lillorainen
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillorainen » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 am

Cordel One wrote:
Lillorainen wrote:As of currently, an excuse to get myself buckets full of popcorn in order to witness the longest NS Summer in history.

Is that the Banana Kid outside? I've heard of him.

At least something consistent in this day and age, no?
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

Disgraces
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:51 am

Despair.
The nation that represents my views is Tidaton

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:54 am

Lillorainen wrote:
Cordel One wrote:Is that the Banana Kid outside? I've heard of him.

At least something consistent in this day and age, no?

Most people are surprisingly consistent in their posting over the years.

Brettenwald
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:56 am

High blood pressure and loss of faith in humanity.
BRETTENWALD
Factbook completion will occur when hell freezes over and this nation is basically what happens at 3 AM when I overdose on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Game of Thrones. Trans rights or you're getting kneecapped.
Center-right largely-absolute monarchy populated by the majority-pagan descendants of a mix of Vikings, Iron Age German rednecks and the odd shipwreck survivor coming into its own on the world stage during the final stages of a 32-year watershed moment under the watchful eye of an emperor who was never supposed to be one. Strict MT, current year though lore posts are generally asynchronous. Brettain is a catchall demonym, flag waifu by Polish Prussian Commonwealth, NS stats not canon.

Lillorainen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lillorainen » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:03 am

Nakena wrote:
Lillorainen wrote:At least something consistent in this day and age, no?

That's not untrue.

Brettenwald wrote:High blood pressure and loss of faith in humanity.

Imagine starting off with a faith in humanity to begin with. :D
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

Brettenwald
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 am

Lillorainen wrote:
Nakena wrote:

That's not untrue.

Brettenwald wrote:High blood pressure and loss of faith in humanity.

Imagine starting off with a faith in humanity to begin with. :D

I like to think that humanity, as an overall group of squishy meat computers, isn't that bad.
BRETTENWALD
Factbook completion will occur when hell freezes over and this nation is basically what happens at 3 AM when I overdose on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Game of Thrones. Trans rights or you're getting kneecapped.
Center-right largely-absolute monarchy populated by the majority-pagan descendants of a mix of Vikings, Iron Age German rednecks and the odd shipwreck survivor coming into its own on the world stage during the final stages of a 32-year watershed moment under the watchful eye of an emperor who was never supposed to be one. Strict MT, current year though lore posts are generally asynchronous. Brettain is a catchall demonym, flag waifu by Polish Prussian Commonwealth, NS stats not canon.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:09 am

You can't get anything out of NSG unless your other posters are willing to play in good faith. There's not a lot of willingness to engage in that way, though, and instead a lot of focus goes into appearing as intelligent or witty or virtuous as possible.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:16 am

Valrifell wrote:You can't get anything out of NSG unless your other posters are willing to play in good faith. There's not a lot of willingness to engage in that way, though, and instead a lot of focus goes into appearing as intelligent or witty or virtuous as possible.

This forum is way more fun when you can just freely admit to people that you're a freaking dunce most of the time.

Lillorainen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lillorainen » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:21 am

Brettenwald wrote:I like to think that humanity, as an overall group of squishy meat computers, isn't that bad.

So, you understand NSG, or at least the parts thereof making your blood pressure skyrocket, as a conglomerate of squishy meat computers who were just rebooting by the time the "You aren't that bad!" message has been sent out?

The processing power of the servers responsible for this sort of updates leaves a lot to desire, then.

Disgraces
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:22 am

Disgraces wrote:Despair.

Also dreams of chronic and sustained cruelty.
The nation that represents my views is Tidaton

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:30 am

Valrifell wrote:You can't get anything out of NSG unless your other posters are willing to play in good faith. There's not a lot of willingness to engage in that way, though, and instead a lot of focus goes into appearing as intelligent or witty or virtuous as possible.

I won't name any names, but when people argue in bad faith they often come across as either trolls or idiots. If someone argues in good faith (using sources, fully reading the words of your post and are at least open to the possibility of changing their opinion) then they seem intelligent even if you disagree with eachother.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General