NATION

PASSWORD

Is Celibacy Good?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:06 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Neutraligon wrote: Source. People have this strange ability to separate time for family and time for the world. You know, like when they go to work every day.

Here. There are more hours in a day for work without a spouse and family.

Which simply means that people who are married are more likely to have a better balanced day. People do need a break, and compassion fatigue is a thing.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:06 pm

Atheris wrote:
Cordel One wrote:God sounds kinda like a douchebag imo.

That was Old Testament God. Before he went to rehab.

Are we saying that Jesus was the cure? AAW YISS.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:07 pm

I mean, unless we want to suddenly stop having children I would advise against universal celibacy.

It's certainly good for those called to it.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:10 pm

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
Atheris wrote:That was Old Testament God. Before he went to rehab.

Are we saying that Jesus was the cure? AAW YISS.

DIdn't Jesus hang out with poor people and angrily flip some rich peoples' tables over? Idk much about him but thta's kinda based.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:13 pm

Cordel One wrote:Why is all the fun stuff a sin to religious people? Why does god care about sex yet do nothing about atrocities?

The worst atrocities known to us began in the hearts of people. A virtuous life can be very fun. For example, the virtue of patience is associated with positive outcomes pertaining to games especially, quality of life, and human relationships.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

The republic ofTexas and northern Mexico
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The republic ofTexas and northern Mexico » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:15 pm

Cordel One wrote:
Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:Are we saying that Jesus was the cure? AAW YISS.

DIdn't Jesus hang out with poor people and angrily flip some rich peoples' tables over? Idk much about him but thta's kinda based.

Yes to the first
And the second is kinda true, he attacked people turning the temple into a foe market.
But back on topic, it’s kind of good and kind of not good, it depends on the person.

Founder of Victorian Era RP 2,
Loves God, guns and Trump
Stand with France

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:17 pm

The republic ofTexas and northern Mexico wrote:
Cordel One wrote:DIdn't Jesus hang out with poor people and angrily flip some rich peoples' tables over? Idk much about him but thta's kinda based.

Yes to the first
And the second is kinda true, he attacked people turning the temple into a foe market.
But back on topic, it’s kind of good and kind of not good, it depends on the person.

Let's start with the good from your perspective.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:24 pm

New haven america wrote:
Sundiata wrote:What do you mean? It's great to have friendships where you're not being hit on or someone stops talking to you because they're expecting "more" from you. Celibacy maintains that stability on your end as an individual, allowing for beautiful relationships.

What type of friends do you have Sun?

If your friends know that you are choosing a life of celibacy or that you're asexual and your 'friends' choose to hit on you anyway, than you need to really jettison those toxic people from your life.

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:25 pm

Sundiata wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
If I'm going to be a sinner anyway, I might as well indulge in the fun sins :)

Well, you don't have to be. You can have a lot more fun being virtuous.

Dude. I've had sex. And I've had no sex. The having sex was a lot more fun.

It's also necessary to carry on the species, and, if I recall correctly, that's something that your imaginary friend actually commanded you to do.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:25 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Cordel One wrote:Why is all the fun stuff a sin to religious people? Why does god care about sex yet do nothing about atrocities?

The worst atrocities known to us began in the hearts of people. A virtuous life can be very fun. For example, the virtue of patience is associated with positive outcomes pertaining to games especially, quality of life, and human relationships.

I mean....so did the best righteous acts, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:26 pm

Sundiata wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
If I'm going to be a sinner anyway, I might as well indulge in the fun sins :)

Well, you don't have to be. You can have a lot more fun being virtuous.

Ah yes....'''virtuous'''.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:27 pm

Eahland wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Well, you don't have to be. You can have a lot more fun being virtuous.

Dude. I've had sex. And I've had no sex. The having sex was a lot more fun.

It's also necessary to carry on the species, and, if I recall correctly, that's something that your imaginary friend actually commanded you to do.

Yes, within the fruitful context of marriage.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:29 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Eahland wrote:Dude. I've had sex. And I've had no sex. The having sex was a lot more fun.

Or other consensual relationships yes.
Look we get it, you're not comfortable with sex, and that's okay.
You do you man, but stop trying to diminish relationships outside of your absurdly narrow definition.

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:03 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Eahland wrote:Dude. I've had sex. And I've had no sex. The having sex was a lot more fun.

Yeah, you might want to try reading what it actually says.

And in any case, sex in the context of marriage is still not celibacy. So I can cite chapter and verse saying God wants you to fuck. (Genesis 1:28, Genesis 9:7) What have you got that trumps a direct command from your god?

And I guess you're not going to try to back up your absurd claim that not having sex is more fun than having sex.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:23 pm

Sundiata wrote:

Many people use religion as an excuse to commit atrocities and many nonreligious people have done great things off their own morals. Besides, I'm nonreligious and I have patience.
The republic ofTexas and northern Mexico wrote:
Cordel One wrote:DIdn't Jesus hang out with poor people and angrily flip some rich peoples' tables over? Idk much about him but thta's kinda based.

Yes to the first

He doesn't seem like a big capitalist.
Last edited by Cordel One on Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:39 pm

Europa Undivided wrote:Well you would have a zero chance of contracting sexually transmitted diseases so that is a plus for celibacy.

That isn't completely accurate. Pubic lice can be spread by close contact/ contact with infested clothes/ infested bed linen.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:41 pm

Europa Undivided wrote:Well you would have a zero chance of contracting sexually transmitted diseases so that is a plus for celibacy.

That is false actually, celibates can still contract std's through any transfer of fluids.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:44 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Sundiata wrote:The majority of people having sex are married people. It's difficult to directly serve all of humanity in work, when you're more preoccupied with your spouse and family.

Source. People have this strange ability to separate time for family and time for the world. You know, like when they go to work every day.

"GODDAMN YOU TWO NOT ON MY DESK!" :D

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:47 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Kannap wrote:
If you're going to make outrageous claims, you're going to have to provide proof.

The majority of people having sex are married people. It's difficult to directly serve all of humanity in work when you're more preoccupied with your spouse and family.

Weird, last time I checked the rates for sex in a marriage drops almost exponentially after the first 1-3 years.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:48 pm

Because as we know, HIV/AIDS in blood transfusions totally wasn't a massive issue during the 80's and 90's.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:50 pm

New haven america wrote:
Sundiata wrote:The majority of people having sex are married people. It's difficult to directly serve all of humanity in work when you're more preoccupied with your spouse and family.

Weird, last time I checked the rates for sex in a marriage drops almost exponentially after the first 1-3 years.

Sounds about right to me, when you have a full pantry you're not stuffing yourself with every meal as if it might be your last.
I imagine having a willing and available sexual partner makes the view towards sex not so desperate.

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:56 pm

Cordel One wrote:
Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:Are we saying that Jesus was the cure? AAW YISS.

Yes. The table-flipping is one of my favorite parts ever.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:59 pm

Sundiata wrote:

Nope. God stated:I will put enmity between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and her offspring; (gen. 3:15)

This clearly shows the children of Eve aren't the children of Adam. And visa versa. Which is rich considering they we supposed to be the only (first) two people.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:03 pm

When someone asks, "what would Jesus do?" Just remind them that flipping-out and chasing people around with a whip is not out of the question.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:05 pm

A lot of Jesus' schtick was basically "Fuck Rome's social values."

Which makes it really weird that Europe and the West in general has been trying to preserve Roman social customs and norms for the past ~1500 years.
Last edited by New haven america on Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General