NATION

PASSWORD

Is polyandry bad?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:32 am

Adamede wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Tbh I don't think lashing is any more barbaric than prison. That we tend to think it is, is 19th century Christian reformist propaganda seeping its way into culture, and I say that as a Christian.

Then maybe we need to reform prisons then, and not bring back lashings.

Unless you’re perfectly fine with you being subject to it that is.

I am fine with it. No matter how cushy you were to make prison, I would rather get a lashing (depending on the number of lashings) than serve a lengthy term in prison. Wounds heal, loss of time doesn't.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:34 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Adamede wrote:It already does. Adultery is perfectly legal and societally accepted reason in the west to divorce. We don’t need the ducking government enforcing religious law.

If by willing you mean that the partners are okay with it then by definition it’s not adultery, but rather an open relationship. And there’s nothing wrong with those.

If you don’t like that the relationship you’re in involves your partner sleeping around than grow up and dump them. No need to thing fucking Iron Age law into, let alone barbaric punishments such as lashings.

Tbh I don't think lashing is any more barbaric than prison. That we tend to think it is, is 19th century Christian reformist propaganda seeping its way into culture, and I say that as a Christian.

Are you sure about that? I wouldn't say giving children detention, i.e. "imposing on their freedom", is equivalent to slapping or beating them. I don't see why that shouldn't also apply, in principle, to adults, more or less.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:34 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Adamede wrote:Then maybe we need to reform prisons then, and not bring back lashings.

Unless you’re perfectly fine with you being subject to it that is.

I am fine with it. No matter how cushy you were to make prison, I would rather get a lashing (depending on the number of lashings) than serve a lengthy term in prison. Wounds heal, loss of time doesn't.

If we’re going to do lashings I say we do it to the standards of the era, and that means no antibiotics.

See how much your wounds heal then.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:35 am

Duvniask wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Tbh I don't think lashing is any more barbaric than prison. That we tend to think it is, is 19th century Christian reformist propaganda seeping its way into culture, and I say that as a Christian.

Are you sure about that? I wouldn't say giving children detention, i.e. "imposing on their freedom", is equivalent to slapping or beating them. I don't see why that shouldn't also apply, in principle, to adults, more or less.

Detention lasts a few hours, prison sentences can last decades. They are not equivalent.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:37 am

Adamede wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I am fine with it. No matter how cushy you were to make prison, I would rather get a lashing (depending on the number of lashings) than serve a lengthy term in prison. Wounds heal, loss of time doesn't.

If we’re going to do lashings I say we do it to the standards of the era, and that means no antibiotics.

Some countries, including some of the most modern countries in the world, have lashing, and lashing was legal as a punishment in most western countries well-into the 20th century.

This "standard of the time" bullshit is literally just the same propaganda I was talking about. The prison philosophy has only led to an overcrowded prison system filled with poorly-adjusted, mentally ill, and traumatized people. It's far less humane than literal beatings.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:41 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Duvniask wrote:Are you sure about that? I wouldn't say giving children detention, i.e. "imposing on their freedom", is equivalent to slapping or beating them. I don't see why that shouldn't also apply, in principle, to adults, more or less.

Detention lasts a few hours, prison sentences can last decades. They are not equivalent.

And children being slapped by a teacher, or their parents, usually doesn't cause the kind of wounds you are referring to. Just as detention is not a punishment used for murderers.

But in the interests of analogy, I think it illustrates my point well enough.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:42 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Adamede wrote:If we’re going to do lashings I say we do it to the standards of the era, and that means no antibiotics.

Some countries, including some of the most modern countries in the world, have lashing, and lashing was legal as a punishment in most western countries well-into the 20th century.

I don’t care, at all.

This "standard of the time" bullshit is literally just the same propaganda I was talking about.

Don’t see how. If you’re going use religious dogma to justify it, which it ultimately is, then use the standards of the time it was written.
The prison philosophy has only led to an overcrowded prison system filled with poorly-adjusted, mentally ill, and traumatized people. It's far less humane than literal beatings.

So maybe don’t punish people for stupid shit then. The alternative to over crowded prisons isn’t fucking lashings.
Last edited by Adamede on Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:44 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Duvniask wrote:Are you sure about that? I wouldn't say giving children detention, i.e. "imposing on their freedom", is equivalent to slapping or beating them. I don't see why that shouldn't also apply, in principle, to adults, more or less.

And slapping a kid only takes a few seconds.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:45 am

Duvniask wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Detention lasts a few hours, prison sentences can last decades. They are not equivalent.

And children being slapped by a teacher, or their parents, usually doesn't cause the kind of wounds you are referring to. Just as detention is not a punishment used for murderers.

It doesn't, because there is such a vast gulf in the harm caused by the two. People spend decades in prison, get out with no social life, no economic opportunities, etc. it ruins their lives forever, often for crimes that aren't even threats to anyone. There are crimes for which prison (the goal of which is the protection of society from dangerous elements) is a ridiculous punishment, but there are literally no alternative punishments in our system.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:46 am

Adamede wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Some countries, including some of the most modern countries in the world, have lashing, and lashing was legal as a punishment in most western countries well-into the 20th century.

I don’t care, at all.

This "standard of the time" bullshit is literally just the same propaganda I was talking about.

Don’t see how. If you’re going use religious dogma to justify it, which it ultimately is, then use the standards of the time it was written.
The prison philosophy has only led to an overcrowded prison system filled with poorly-adjusted, mentally ill, and traumatized people. It's far less humane than literal beatings.

So maybe don’t punish people for stupid shit then. The alternative to over crowded prisons isn’t fucking lashings.

I don't see how "it's more humane than prison" is religious dogma.

There are crimes which are not ridiculous but which do not pose a threat to society. Such crimes need to be punished, but putting people in prison for them accomplishes nothing.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:48 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Adamede wrote:I don’t care, at all.

There are crimes which are not ridiculous but which do not pose a threat to society. Such crimes need to be punished, but putting people in prison for them accomplishes nothing.

Also ridiculous is that religious dogma was almost entirely the justification behind the modern prison system. It was not created for secular interests but largely because religious groups believed that the most important aspect of criminal justice should be moral repentance, which was to be achieved by forcing people into cells to think about what they did for years at a time. It isn't humane and was never meant to be humane.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:16 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Duvniask wrote:And children being slapped by a teacher, or their parents, usually doesn't cause the kind of wounds you are referring to. Just as detention is not a punishment used for murderers.

It doesn't, because there is such a vast gulf in the harm caused by the two. People spend decades in prison, get out with no social life, no economic opportunities, etc. it ruins their lives forever, often for crimes that aren't even threats to anyone. There are crimes for which prison (the goal of which is the protection of society from dangerous elements) is a ridiculous punishment, but there are literally no alternative punishments in our system.

It's more to illustrate that we find physical violence abhorrent.

And what you're saying is naturally a cause for concern, but I wouldn't exactly say it is inherent to any prison system. I suppose it merely shows that the choice between a terrible physical punishment and a (long?) prison sentence depends on the circumstances in prison.
Last edited by Duvniask on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:21 am

Ottomeme wrote:According to the laws of God, yes it is illegal.

That does depend on whose God, does it not?
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:26 am

As long as all parties are legal adults, and all are agreeable to the relationship, I can see no reason why polyandry should be illegal, either as a relationship or formalized in a plural marriage.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:32 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Adamede wrote:I don’t care, at all.

Maybe then those crimes shouldn’t be crimes at all then.
And what exactly is human about this?

Punished UMN wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I don't see how "it's more humane than prison" is religious dogma.

Also ridiculous is that religious dogma was almost entirely the justification behind the modern prison system. It was not created for secular interests but largely because religious groups believed that the most important aspect of criminal justice should be moral repentance, which was to be achieved by forcing people into cells to think about what they did for years at a time. It isn't humane and was never meant to be humane.

You seem to be under the incorrect assumption that I support the modern prison system, which is weird because I’ve told several times now that I don’t. And yet you keep on repeating like a broken record, so let me make it clear, I do not support the modern prison system, nor I do I think lashings are an acceptable or preferable alternative.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:47 am

Duvniask wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:It doesn't, because there is such a vast gulf in the harm caused by the two. People spend decades in prison, get out with no social life, no economic opportunities, etc. it ruins their lives forever, often for crimes that aren't even threats to anyone. There are crimes for which prison (the goal of which is the protection of society from dangerous elements) is a ridiculous punishment, but there are literally no alternative punishments in our system.

It's more to illustrate that we find physical violence abhorrent.

And what you're saying is naturally a cause for concern, but I wouldn't exactly say it is inherent to any prison system. I suppose it merely shows that the choice between a terrible physical punishment and a (long?) prison sentence depends on the circumstances in prison.

In what way is putting people in prison not physical violence.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:48 am

Adamede wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I don't see how "it's more humane than prison" is religious dogma.

Maybe then those crimes shouldn’t be crimes at all then.

Punished UMN wrote:Also ridiculous is that religious dogma was almost entirely the justification behind the modern prison system. It was not created for secular interests but largely because religious groups believed that the most important aspect of criminal justice should be moral repentance, which was to be achieved by forcing people into cells to think about what they did for years at a time. It isn't humane and was never meant to be humane.

You seem to be under the incorrect assumption that I support the modern prison system, which is weird because I’ve told several times now that I don’t. And yet you keep on repeating like a broken record, so let me make it clear, I do not support the modern prison system, nor I do I think lashings are an acceptable or preferable alternative.

What is your alternative then?

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:55 am

Champagne Socialist Sharifistan wrote:
Adamede wrote:Doesn’t mean it should be illegal.

No but you can’t ban breaking a legal contract (marriage) without basing it on religion. Many atheists get married. It’s hard to say why people should be faithful to their spouse without religion but it’s also hard to explain why murder and rape are bad without one. All of those involve treating people badly but religion explains why people matter. There are attempts to develop morality without religion (Kantian+Utilitarianism for example) but how do they allow most cases of adultery?

I'm going to stop you right here, because I'm getting a whiff of the "you need to be religious to be moral" nonsense that is one of the most disgusting, offensive, and pervasive lies spread by people of faith. Who the fuck are you to tell me that because I am an atheist, I will have a harder time understanding that rape and murder are evil actions? Where exactly do you get off?

You do not need to be religious to think that adultery, rspe and murder are bad. All of these things can be explained to be bad without the prescriptions of the divine, and frankly, to say that one requires a God to tell you that these things are bad is incredibly pathetic. Likewise, humanism and many other philosophies explain why humanity and your fellow man matter far more than religion; indeed, religion has had the effect of dehumanizing those who lie outside a particular faith, so again, I say that its disgusitng, ridiculous and offensive to say that those without faith cannot explain why people matter.

Secondly, and more to the point, polyamory or polygyny of any form is, by definition, not adultery. Adultery is the relations outside of wedlock, while polyamory and polygyny imply that those involved are consenting to the participation of multiple partners.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:58 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Adamede wrote:Maybe then those crimes shouldn’t be crimes at all then.

What is your alternative then?

Prison reforms and doing away with the crimes that aren’t threats to society form the sound of it.

Don’t like that your partner is cheating on you? Dump them and find someone else, they’re garbage but that doesn’t mean you should drag the legislature into it.

Prel Malick
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Prel Malick » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:59 am

As long as it is between consenting adults and the relationship is not abusive in some way, all forms of Polyamorous relationships and Polygamous marriages are fine as far as I'm concerned.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:00 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Duvniask wrote:It's more to illustrate that we find physical violence abhorrent.

In what way is putting people in prison not physical violence.

Taking someone to a place against their will doesn't in itself constitute an act of physical harm or abuse on that person's body. Maybe if they resist, but so is the case with anything.
Last edited by Duvniask on Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:19 pm

Adamede wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:What is your alternative then?

Prison reforms and doing away with the crimes that aren’t threats to society form the sound of it.

Don’t like that your partner is cheating on you? Dump them and find someone else, they’re garbage but that doesn’t mean you should drag the legislature into it.

There are crimes that are threats to society but which are not in themselves harmful. Ponzi schemes, for example.

Duvniask wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:In what way is putting people in prison not physical violence.

Taking someone to a place against their will doesn't in itself constitute an act of physical harm or abuse on that person's body. Maybe if they resist, but so is the case with anything.

That's my point. You can't decry physical violence without also decrying the state. Physical violence is the modus operandi of the state and its basis for existence.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:21 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Adamede wrote:Prison reforms and doing away with the crimes that aren’t threats to society form the sound of it.

There are crimes that are threats to society but which are not in themselves harmful. Ponzi schemes, for example.

Did I mistype? I’m not talking about those. I know that definition what is or isn’t a threat to society is but most of western civilization has agreed that adultery doesn’t fall under it.

Northern Socialist Council Republics
Senator

Founded: Dec 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Socialist Council Republics » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:33 pm

I think a big part of whether we ought to perform lashings as a penalty for crime is the question of why we have a criminal justice system.

Personally, I don’t believe in punishment at all. I think “you have made others suffer, so you ought to suffer” is a childish way of looking at things. I believe that the criminal justice system should serve two purposes: isolation, making society safer by physically separating the law-abiding citizens from convicted criminals, and rehabilitation, providing the environment and education to turn criminals into law-abiding citizens.

The way I see it, lashings serve neither purpose, so I oppose it.

But if you happen to believe more in punishment or deterrence, then I can see why lashings would appeal more to you. I don’t think it’s a particularly unacceptable thing to do to a human being, as some people here have claimed - as already noted, taking away years of freedom from a person can be as brutal as taking away physical health and comfort.

In any case, if we want to seriously discuss this we should open a new thread. :p
Last edited by Northern Socialist Council Republics on Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me "Russ" if you're referring to me the out-of-character poster or "NSRS" if you're referring to me the in-character nation.
Previously on Plzen. NationStates-er since 2014.

Social-democrat and hardline secularist.
Come roleplay with us. We have cookies.

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:25 pm

:meh:
Punished UMN wrote:
Adamede wrote:Prison reforms and doing away with the crimes that aren’t threats to society form the sound of it.

Duvniask wrote:Taking someone to a place against their will doesn't in itself constitute an act of physical harm or abuse on that person's body. Maybe if they resist, but so is the case with anything.

That's my point. You can't decry physical violence without also decrying the state. Physical violence is the modus operandi of the state and its basis for existence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_Norway

That's how prisons should be.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General