NATION

PASSWORD

Corporal punishment of children 「Yes or No?」

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:27 pm

Saint Yosx wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Less of a grey area is things like withholding stuff the child likes, as punishment for bad behaviour. For example, if they want the parent to buy them a specific toy or game then delaying getting it for them is a legit tactic.

Yeah and using a life lesson like remember doing something without being told or doing something good you can use that toy or game as an reward. The trick is however is to not give them a thing or something of financial value so they don't just do it for acceptance by others or to impress...

Except that the adult world works by giving something of financial value when someone impresses, that is after all what bonuses and tips are. I don't mind using money to convince a child to do their chores so long as the parent is aware that the money they give is the child's as are the items the child buys. They are not the adult's to steal.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:28 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Disgraces wrote:Stop comparing corporal punishment to China's government, fucking Hell

They have the same logic.

If a child can be beaten for not obeying a parent while nobody outside the home can then we have to agree that children are fundamentally low status and their harsh treatment is deliberately tolerated. Since children haven’t done anything wrong to deserve their low status then we have to agree that “might is right” and “power belongs to those capable of harming others” work.

Well, guess what? That’s how China works. Hence if you think children should be beaten for offenses adults are not punished for at all then you do agree with China.

People get beaten in all sorts of countries, especially authoritarian ones. Please stop making every single thread about China. We already have like five China threads.
Last edited by Cordel One on Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:37 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Saint Yosx wrote:

Yeah and using a life lesson like remember doing something without being told or doing something good you can use that toy or game as an reward. The trick is however is to not give them a thing or something of financial value so they don't just do it for acceptance by others or to impress...

Except that the adult world works by giving something of financial value when someone impresses, that is after all what bonuses and tips are. I don't mind using money to convince a child to do their chores so long as the parent is aware that the money they give is the child's as are the items the child buys. They are not the adult's to steal.

The reason why adults don’t recognize child ownership is the same as the reason why adults think it is ok to beat kids over reasons adults are never punished for and why child sacrifice was fairly common: children are humans but not full persons with personhood. That’s of course what adults like to hide from children.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome to the Nekostan-e Gharbi. Our ancestors were a group of genetically enhanced Israeli cats raised by two Iranian Jewish women, Rachel Davidi and Esther Moshel. We are a constitutional monarchy where a line of benevolent and powerless feline queens “guide” the citizens or more precisely are the subject of their constant gossiping.

Current Queen: Sarah IV (House of Moshel)
Current Prime Minister: Dr. Elisheva Cohen (she is fine with Elizabeth for non-Hebrew speakers) from Likud
Cats rule; dogs drool; Israel rocks; China sucks.
Abolish China and save lives.
What is Sinostatism?
Must read on China by David Goldman https://www.tabletmag.com/amp/sections/ ... ina-empire

Disgraces
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:40 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Disgraces wrote:Stop comparing corporal punishment to China's government, fucking Hell

Nope. You aren't even comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing apples to bowling balls.
The nation that represents my views is Tidaton

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:46 pm

Disgraces wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

Nope. You aren't even comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing apples to bowling balls.

Nope. Authoritarian states and authoritarian families reinforce each other. Please read Emmanuel Todd.
Welcome to the Nekostan-e Gharbi. Our ancestors were a group of genetically enhanced Israeli cats raised by two Iranian Jewish women, Rachel Davidi and Esther Moshel. We are a constitutional monarchy where a line of benevolent and powerless feline queens “guide” the citizens or more precisely are the subject of their constant gossiping.

Current Prime Minister: Dr. Elisheva Cohen (she is fine with Elizabeth for non-Hebrew speakers) from Likud
What is Sinostatism?
Must read on China by David Goldman https://www.tabletmag.com/amp/sections/ ... ina-empire

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:48 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Disgraces wrote:Nope. You aren't even comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing apples to bowling balls.

Nope. Authoritarian states and authoritarian families reinforce each other. Please read Emmanuel Todd.

Smacking your kid for misbehaving barely has anything to do with authoritarianism lol

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:50 pm

Disgraces wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

Smacking your kid for misbehaving barely has anything to do with authoritarianism lol

If “misbehaving” includes mere refusal to obey or show unusual respect to a parent then of course it is authoritarian. You can’t believe that a child is not morally inferior to an adult AND discrimination against children is moral at the same time.

What’s particularly funny is that parentism is not even consistent with “might is right” as children will eventually grow up.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What is Sinostatism?

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:55 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Disgraces wrote:Smacking your kid for misbehaving barely has anything to do with authoritarianism lol

If “misbehaving” includes mere refusal to obey or show unusual respect to a parent then of course it is authoritarian. You can’t believe that a child is not morally inferior to an adult AND discrimination against children is moral at the same time.

What’s particularly funny is that parentism is not even consistent with “might is right” as children will eventually grow up.

misbehaving: (of a person, especially a child) fail to conduct oneself in an acceptable way; behave badly.
Acting in an unacceptable way is deserving of a smack in my opinion.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Disgraces wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

misbehaving: (of a person, especially a child) fail to conduct oneself in an acceptable way; behave badly.

That’s authoritarian and disproportionate since nobody smacks adults for doing what is considered misbehaving if done by a child. In the adult world there are fines and even prisons. However one does not simply “misbehave” to get these things.

When Nazis proclaimed that 100 Serbs get murdered for 1 killed German at least they did formally believe and admitted that they believed that German lives were worth more than Serbian ones.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

What is Sinostatism?

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:03 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Disgraces wrote:misbehaving: (of a person, especially a child) fail to conduct oneself in an acceptable way; behave badly.

That’s authoritarian and disproportionate since nobody smacks adults for doing what is considered misbehaving if done by a child. In the adult world there are fines and even prisons. However one does not simply “misbehave” to get these things.

When Nazis proclaimed that 100 Serbs get murdered for 1 killed German at least they did formally believe and admitted that they believed that German lives were worth more than Serbian ones.

Smacking an adult for misbehaving won't do shit. Smacking a kid for misbehaving will.

Are you seriously comparing me to nazis?
Last edited by Disgraces on Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:04 pm

Disgraces wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

Smacking an adult for misbehaving won't do shit. Smacking a kid for misbehaving will.

Are you actually comparing me to nazis?

Maybe people who support beating kids should also support killing them. Because why not? They are low status and hence deserve to be mistreated, right? This was actually widespread in the past.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

What is Sinostatism?

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:08 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Disgraces wrote:Smacking an adult for misbehaving won't do shit. Smacking a kid for misbehaving will.

Are you actually comparing me to nazis?

Maybe people who support beating kids should also support killing them. Because why not? They are low status and hence deserve to be mistreated, right? This was actually widespread in the past.

A smack ≠ beating. And smacking ≠ fucking killing.

Stop saying bullshit such as me being a nazi or a child killer just because I don't condemn corporal punishment, please.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:13 pm

Disgraces wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

A smack ≠ beating. And smacking ≠ fucking killing.

Stop saying bullshit such as me being a nazi or a child killer just because I don't condemn corporal punishment, please.

People shouldn’t be smacked simply for being unable to fight back.

What is Sinostatism?

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:14 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Disgraces wrote:A smack ≠ beating. And smacking ≠ fucking killing.

Punishment isn't about people being weaker Jesus Christ

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:20 pm

Disgraces wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

Punishment isn't about people being weaker Jesus Christ

Disproportionate punishment and expansion of definition of offense for low status people are. There is no adult-child parity in punishment. In fact most child “offenses” aren’t actually offenses if commited by adults. Hence punishment for such non-offenses has to be understood as abusing low status people.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What is Sinostatism?

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:21 pm

Generally I think if they’re old enough to understand why you’re punishing them, you shouldn’t be hitting them, and if they aren’t then they won’t understand why you’re hitting them, but there’s a few exceptions— some little kids seem to think running into the street is a super funny game, and I think the only way to get them properly deterred (or just to stop them from doing it in the moment) is to hit them. Unless they’re putting themselves or someone else in mortal peril like that where the parent has no other choice, though, I think it’s wrong.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:22 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Disgraces wrote:Punishment isn't about people being weaker Jesus Christ

Disproportionate punishment and expansion of definition of offense for low status people are.

A simple smack for misbehaving ins't disproportionate.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:23 pm

Disgraces wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Disproportionate punishment and expansion of definition of offense for low status people are.

A simple smack for misbehaving ins't disproportionate.

But why don’t we smack adults for “misbehaving”? More importantly why are behaviors considered “misbehaving” not considered such when commited by adults?

It’s not about the behavior being harmful since child behavior doesn’t tend to cause much harm compared to adult behavior. Instead it is about children not accepting their low status lol....Hahahahahahaha just admit it even though it is not politically correct lol.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

What is Sinostatism?

Brulave
Lobbyist

Founded: May 22, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Brulave » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:41 pm

Sanghyeok wrote:Corporal・physical punishment of children is quite controversial. According to Global Initiative to End All Corporal Punishment, corporal punishment is "Corporal punishment is the most common form of violence against children worldwide. It includes any punishment in which physical force is used and intended to cause some degree of pain or discomfort, however light, as well as non-physical forms of punishment that are cruel and degrading." Those opposing corporal punishment note it is ineffective and has been condemned by the UN Committee on Rights of Child as a "violation on children's rights" due to being causing "physical, mental or sexual harm or suffering". Numerous studies also suggest corporal punishment leading to greater rates of aggression later on in life. Due to these findings, corporal punishment is currently illegal in over 60 countries. However, those defending corporal punishment claim it is necessary, so corporal punishment remains popular and legal in the rest of the world.

NSG, what's your opinion on corporal punishment? I strong oppose corporal punishment since it establishes unhealthy relationships between parent and child and also damages the child's development.

why should this be a goddamn question. Nobody, especially children, shouldn't endure physical punishment. If you hit your children, then they don't need you. And why is sexual harm for children there, that is pedophilia.

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:42 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Disgraces wrote:A simple smack for misbehaving ins't disproportionate.

But why don’t we smack adults for “misbehaving”? More importantly why are behaviors considered “misbehaving” not considered such when commited by adults?
Because, like I told you, smacking an adult for misbehaving won't do shit.
It’s not about the behavior being harmful since child behavior doesn’t tend to cause much harm compared to adult behavior. Instead it is about children not accepting their low status lol....Hahahahahahaha just admit it even though it is not politically correct lol.

Just stfu, will you?

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:45 pm

Disgraces wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Because, like I told you, smacking an adult for misbehaving won't do shit.

Just stfu, will you?

Being angry is usually evidence that one has lost the argument. “just stfu” is indeed pretty parentist. Fortunately I’m an adult and since I don’t live in a place like China I’m not parentable.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

What is Sinostatism?

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:50 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Disgraces wrote: Because, like I told you, smacking an adult for misbehaving won't do shit.

Just stfu, will you?

Being angry is usually evidence that one has lost the argument. “just stfu” is indeed pretty parentist. Fortunately I’m an adult and since I don’t live in a place like China I’m not parentable.

I told you to stfu because you're just prattling at this point.

Literally called me a nazi chinese childkiller just because I don't condemn a smack to your child when he kisbehsves lmaooo

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:11 pm

Disgraces wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

Literally called me a nazi chinese childkiller just because I don't condemn a smack to your child when he kisbehsves lmaooo

I didn’t actually call you one. We have to admit that beating kids for disobeying their parents is unfair and authoritarian.

Of course if your entire worldview is authoritarian you can and should accept it. Otherwise you shouldn’t.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

What is Sinostatism?

The Three Palins
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Three Palins » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Disgraces wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

"May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb" is not a good attitude to Mod.

You know you're in trouble, so why not do some more damage.

Um, dude, you just offended TWICE. That's worse than ONCE, see?

Tho. You still have time to nominate "kisbehsves" for Word of the Year. :lol:
Last edited by The Three Palins on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Palin - 3rd funniest Monty Python -- PM of TTP
Sarah Palin - Best female VP candidate, US - Foreign Affairs
Robert Palin - Unlucky burglar, hanged 1861 - Justice, Health, Treasury

The Three Palins
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Three Palins » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:26 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Disgraces wrote: Because, like I told you, smacking an adult for misbehaving won't do shit.

Just stfu, will you?

The random shot at China was a bit risky. You're absolutely sure Disgraces isn't from there?

"Child behaviour doesn't do much harm" is some kind of neolithic fallacy. Without much knowledge or good weapons, what harm could a small version of Homo Horribilis do?

Whatever harm its parent/protector trains it to. Child soldiers, anyone?
Michael Palin - 3rd funniest Monty Python -- PM of TTP
Sarah Palin - Best female VP candidate, US - Foreign Affairs
Robert Palin - Unlucky burglar, hanged 1861 - Justice, Health, Treasury

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General