NATION

PASSWORD

The American Empire

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:15 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:Finally, now we can stop talking about the US in PRC threads and the PRC in American domestic/foreign issue threads.

Separation of America and China? Haha.

Chimerica

Additional “similar to the word chimera” points
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:16 pm

Mate, I'm from Guam. Leave me out of this.

I'm not oppressed. A little pissed off about my land rights, yes, but I'm not oppressed.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

The Romanian Confederacy
Envoy

Founded: Aug 04, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romanian Confederacy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:53 pm

The Disorder wrote:Do you know what world superpowers have existed throughout human history, which haven't had a record of horrible atrocities and opportunistic exploitation?

NOT ONE EVER.

And there won't ever be a 'perfect' superpower, because opportunistic exploitation happens to be advantageous. Nations that don't do it will not ever be superpowers. It's a cold and cruel universe, but that's how reality works.

Now that the myth of perfection is dispelled, we can begin sorting, categorizing, and stratifying superpowers by the magnitude of their reprehensibility. America has done some awful stuff, I won't argue that one bit - but China is worse. The Soviet Union was worse, and the Russian Federation is still worse. The British Empire was worse too. Rome was worse. The Assyrians, Mongolians, and Macedonians were fucking nuts at their respective peaks of world dominance. Even tribal superpowers on a smaller regional scale (like the Aztecs) were just godawful.

Power corrupts, and so far, no one has invented a way to get vast amounts of power that isn't dark and fucked up.

Finally somebody with a brain!

Major-Tom wrote:Dear god, please make these threads stop.

Try telling that to Cordel, Sanghyeok( I don't care if I spelled your name wrong, I'm sleepy ok?) and Ra.
Last edited by The Romanian Confederacy on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.
Moderators Lie.

Copy and paste this into your sig if you think we should colonize other planets
Hyperpartisanship will be the downfall of civilized democratic society, it's already in progress as we speak, yet the people are too blinded by their hate to realize it.
As you can see, I am also a braindead piece of shit who can't do anything important and can't write lore at all whi abandons nations and leaves them to die out of pure fucking laziness, so please don't say that any post I make us remotely good at all.
Finish the post finish the post finish the post finish the postFinish the post finish the post finish the post finish the postFinish the post finish the post finish the post finish the post

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:04 pm

Jeez, even our threads get cheap Chinese knockoffs.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Rusozak wrote:Jeez, even our threads get cheap Chinese knockoffs.

Give it enough threads and our complains here will also become a meme.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:20 pm

Basically, any country that rises to global dominance is going to be a threat. Some might be better or worse, but at the end of the day, anyone who wields too much power has the potential to misuse it. Even if they mean well, they can do a lot of damage just by making a mistake.

You can do your best to call out the bullshit and stop the worst abuses, but it will never be perfect.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:21 pm

For the 75% of the world population who are neither Americans nor Chinese, I don’t think that the international order under Chinese hegemony will be substantially different from the current one under American hegemony. People who are “in” now might find themselves “out” and vice versa, but that’s probably about it.

But it’s still funny to see Americans try to convince me that I should keep licking their boots because the evil China boogeyman will eat my dog or whatever.
Last edited by Plzen on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:27 pm

Plzen wrote:For the 75% of the world population who are neither Americans nor Chinese, I don’t think that the international order under Chinese hegemony will be substantially different from the current one under American hegemony. People who are “in” now might find themselves “out” and vice versa, but that’s probably about it.

But it’s still funny to see Americans try to convince me that I should keep licking their boots because the evil China boogeyman will eat my dog or whatever.

Lick our boots? No, we're just asking for a helping hand. We don't want the world order to tilt in favor of the genocidal autocracy that is the CCP. The United States is making progress with respect to the spread of democracy across the world.

In fact, most governments in the world are democracies because of that influence. Unfortunately, moving forward in line with that progress required consistency. China is ruining that consistency and that puts the world at risk.

We don't want subservience, we want help. We want to help.
Last edited by Sundiata on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:31 pm

Sundiata wrote:Lick our boots? No, we're just asking for a helping hand.

A ten-year-old would understand that if you spend your time in the schoolyard beating up others, you don’t get to then ask them for “help” when a stronger bully threatens to usurp your position.

But this seems to be a point that is impossible to get into the heads of people who live between Mexico and Canada.

Sundiata wrote:We don't want subservience, we want help. We want to help.

The demonstrated record of US foreign policy says otherwise.
Last edited by Plzen on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Chinese Communes
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby United Chinese Communes » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:36 pm

Plzen wrote:For the 75% of the world population who are neither Americans nor Chinese, I don’t think that the international order under Chinese hegemony will be substantially different from the current one under American hegemony. People who are “in” now might find themselves “out” and vice versa, but that’s probably about it.

Precisely. Americans seem to have an internalised image of themselves as the 'good guys', probably helped along by their media machine. What they don't seem to understand is that many people around the world don't appreciate their meddling in international affairs, and that their arrogance breeds opposition. America is not the hero. America is, right now, the reigning villain, while China is simply an up-and-coming villain eager to replace them. For most people, it's business as usual.
|★ ☭ ★ United Chinese Communes ★ ☭ ★|
The East is Red!

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:52 pm

Plzen wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Lick our boots? No, we're just asking for a helping hand.

A ten-year-old would understand that if you spend your time in the schoolyard beating up others, you don’t get to then ask them for “help” when a stronger bully threatens to usurp your position.

But this seems to be a point that is impossible to get into the heads of people who live between Mexico and Canada.

Sundiata wrote:We don't want subservience, we want help. We want to help.

The demonstrated record of US foreign policy says otherwise.

Saint Augustine in his book "The City of God" recanted the allegory of pirates and emperor's. The gist of the story is that pirates are condemned for their crimes and emperors are not. He's not saying that pirates are good people, he's saying that the pirates are small criminals. That's compared with a major criminal like the Chinese Communist Party.

The United States holds itself accountable for its past mistakes unlike the Chinese Communist Party who actively embraces them. American foreign policy in the past century has overwhelmingly been about the promotion, stabilization, and groundwork for democracy. We're not a bully, we don't beat up others. The United States uplifts others.

The United States is certainly not a perfect country but it is certainly a more perfect country today than it ever has been. The same goes for the world that we inhabit. American ideas are winning but it's a lead that we have a moral responsibility to maintain.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:00 am

@Answering here since it seems the more approperiate thread:

Organized States wrote:
Sundiata wrote:I'm unfamiliar.

TLDR, the CIA, MI6, and Italian Military Intelligence maintained some ties to some actual Nazis and the Mafia in Italy during a long period of political and criminal violence.

The US military had also Waffen-SS soldiers in their ranks.

Fighting communism from the Baltics to Saigon!

Thorne's second tour in Vietnam began in February 1965 with 5th Special Forces Group; he then transferred to Military Assistance Command, Vietnam – Studies and Observations Group (MACV–SOG), a classified US special operations unit focusing on unconventional warfare in Vietnam, as a military advisor.

Thats just one example, but generally after WW2 the US did recruit help from the Reich military veterans and scientists to fight the communist enemy. The French even had thousends of former Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS soldiers fighting in the Foreign Legion in Indochina.

Also without the reich's scientist the US space program would have never been sucessfull, let alone reached the Moon.

If a 4th Reich comes, it might be very well be the USA who becomes it.
Last edited by Nakena on Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:02 am

Nakena wrote:If a 4th Reich comes, it might be very well be the USA.

Are you exaggerating or do you sincerely believe that?
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:04 am

Sundiata wrote:The United States holds itself accountable for its past mistakes unlike the Chinese Communist Party who actively embraces them. American foreign policy in the past century has overwhelmingly been about the promotion, stabilization, and groundwork for democracy. We're not a bully, we don't beat up others. The United States uplifts others.

This is one of those paragraphs that would fit well in a stand-up comedy routine. Yeah, the United States “promotes and stabilises” democracy. ahahahahaha

Tell me another one, boss.

Sundiata wrote:The United States is certainly not a perfect country but it is certainly a more perfect country today than it ever has been. The same goes for the world that we inhabit.

Both of those things are true, but it does not follow from this that the United States must continue to hold the mantle of world hegemonies in order for the world’s upward trajectory to continue.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:06 am

Nakena wrote:If a 4th Reich comes, it might be very well be the USA who becomes it.

Considering the country's reaction to Trump, who was no where near a Nazi, I think that kind of sentiment is laughable.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:08 am

Salus Maior wrote:Considering the country's reaction to Trump, who was no where near a Nazi, I think that kind of sentiment is laughable.

Trump got, what, 70 million votes in the last elections?

Only if one listens to the liberal media could one get the impression that the United States’ reaction to Trump was overly hostile. If Trump shows us anything it’s that the US’ path towards populist nationalism is wide open.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:09 am

Plzen wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:Considering the country's reaction to Trump, who was no where near a Nazi, I think that kind of sentiment is laughable.

Trump got, what, 70 million votes in the last elections?

Only if one listens to the liberal media could one get the impression that the United States’ reaction to Trump was overly hostile. If Trump shows us anything it’s that the US’ path towards populist nationalism is wide open.

Most democracies have that path wide open, yes.

Because Populist appeal is practically a feature when it comes to democracy and electoral politics.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:10 am

@Sundiata

Think about all the military structures, industry, triple-digits agencies, coups in South America, dirty CIA business etc. Little of this existed prior to that in US history. This formed a separate american state, a state in state, something I'd call the American Empire. Something that is throughly opposed to the American Republic.

I sincerely believe that after WW2 the US adopted some of the reich's spirit as they needed it in their fight against communism.

Now, doing so, is a bit like using the One Ring. It gives you power to combat your enemies. But everyone who has tried to make use of it, even for "good", has ultimatively been corrupted by it.

And ultimatively, the Ring will always want to return to its master. Because it is the only one whom it truly serves.
Last edited by Nakena on Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:23 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:11 am

Plzen wrote:This is one of those paragraphs that would fit well in a stand-up comedy routine. Yeah, the United States “promotes and stabilises” democracy. ahahahahaha

While I recognize that you're trying to make light of situations that are often tense and ugly, it's not lightly that I say that the United States often lives up to its moral responsibility with great sacrifice.

Both of those things are true, but it does not follow from this that the United States must continue to hold the mantle of world hegemonies in order for the world’s upward trajectory to continue.

Correct, but the world is not yet at the stage where it is ready for the United States to relinquish that mantle. American hegemony should not be forever but it should remain so until that time.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:16 am

Salus Maior wrote:Most democracies have that path wide open, yes.

Because Populist appeal is practically a feature when it comes to democracy and electoral politics.

I’m not talking about the concept of democratic vulnerability to populism in general. I am talking about current events and the plausible political outcome of the next ten years.

In what other high-income democracy has the major right-wing candidate shown such flagrant contempt for established democratic norms than Trump?

Le Pen, Åkesson, what have you? I don’t think any of them pose even close to the threat to their respective democracies as Trump poses for his. Wilders and Johnson comes closer, but even they’re no Trump.
Last edited by Plzen on Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

San Kalungsod Saludong
Envoy

Founded: Mar 04, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby San Kalungsod Saludong » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:21 am

I dislike American colonization of my home country, but better the devil you know than the one you don't know.
....☀️....
FACTBOOK

San Kalungsod Saludong: A Sovereign Male Military Order
Nation Ideology: Aescetical, Spiritual, Educational and Militaristic
Personal Politics: Alt Lite, Dark Enlightenment, Conservative Millenial.
Interest: Gym, MMA, Computers, Graphics Design and Finance

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:21 am

Sundiata wrote:While I recognize that you're trying to make light of situations that are often tense and ugly, it's not lightly that I say that the United States often lives up to its moral responsibility with great sacrifice.

I consider the assertion that the United States “promotes and stabilises” democracy abroad to be so blatantly untrue that I find someone saying that completely seriously to be funny in the black comedy sense of funny.

But then I suppose you, as a Catholic, have a need to believe in a benevolent protector to make sense of the world whether one exists or not.

Sundiata wrote:Correct, but the world is not yet at the stage where it is ready for the United States to relinquish that mantle. American hegemony should not be forever but it should remain so until that time.

This implies that if the world is not yet mature, then it requires American hegemony. I will ask you to justify that assumption.
Last edited by Plzen on Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

United Chinese Communes
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby United Chinese Communes » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:22 am

Sundiata wrote:
Plzen wrote:This is one of those paragraphs that would fit well in a stand-up comedy routine. Yeah, the United States “promotes and stabilises” democracy. ahahahahaha

While I recognize that you're trying to make light of situations that are often tense and ugly, it's not lightly that I say that the United States often lives up to its moral responsibility with great sacrifice.

Only its own propaganda. The United States is no more moral than any other Empire. It is interested only in maintaining its own power, and is entirely willing to resort to utter ruthlessness to do so.

Sundiata wrote:
Plzen wrote:Both of those things are true, but it does not follow from this that the United States must continue to hold the mantle of world hegemonies in order for the world’s upward trajectory to continue.

Correct, but the world is not yet at the stage where it is ready for the United States to relinquish that mantle. American hegemony should not be forever but it should remain so until that time.

This reads to me as a modern spin on the old 'White Man's Burden' that the British used to justify their own imperialism in India and Africa.
Last edited by United Chinese Communes on Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
|★ ☭ ★ United Chinese Communes ★ ☭ ★|
The East is Red!

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:31 am

United Chinese Communes wrote:
Sundiata wrote:While I recognize that you're trying to make light of situations that are often tense and ugly, it's not lightly that I say that the United States often lives up to its moral responsibility with great sacrifice.

Only its own propaganda. The United States is no more moral than any other Empire. It is interested only in maintaining its own power, and is entirely willing to resort to utter ruthlessness to do so.

So you're saying China is just as moral as the U.S.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:32 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Nakena wrote:If a 4th Reich comes, it might be very well be the USA who becomes it.

Considering the country's reaction to Trump, who was no where near a Nazi, I think that kind of sentiment is laughable.

Thats not how it works.

It's less Trump or the Dissident/Alt-Right who are leading to this path but extensive and prolonged foreign interventionism and military engagements in overseas.

The more Wars like Iraq or Vietnam happen, the more it rises, the stronger it grows. It feeds of that, it needs the war, it needs an Abu Ghraib, an Falludsha and such. That it is were it manifests. Let it long enough foster and it comes back home to the streets of Portland. Some of the federal operatives used there were formerly active in the warzones. Sort of a proto-Freikorps if you will so.

The historical appearences of Fascism in Italy and National Socialism in Germany are directly tied to World War One and the downfall of culture, civilization and hell maybe even the spanish flu pandemic. (sounds familiar eh?) It created the conditions, a implosion of reality and order, real and perceived, a rift through which those forces could manifest themself in the real world.

That is the real deal, not some LARPers at Charlottesville.

In fact the dissident right has been VERY much and steadfeastly opposing this path.
Last edited by Nakena on Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General