NATION

PASSWORD

Muslims and Christians, how can we improve relations?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:54 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Nakena wrote:
Well Islam and Christianity consider themself to be the proper interpretation of the abrahamite faith. Altough Islam is even more insistive on that point. Originally Islam was perceived to be a heresy of christianity for that reason when it arose.

In this regard Judaism keeps to itself, but there its a tribal religion.

Would be great if all three kept to themselves. Insisting on ultimate truth and discrediting the other keeps adherents at odds constantly.

I agree.

Hence I said that stopping pointless interventions in the middle east and putting an end to islamic mass migration into the west would work a long way to diffuse tensions.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:57 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Vetalia wrote:Focus on the fundamental truth that we both believe in the One God who was revealed to Abraham. I have to be honest and say that I do pray for the conversion of both Jews and Muslims to the fullness of Truth in the Christian faith but the fact is that they do worship the same God, even if their understanding of Him is imperfect.

Perhaps refraining from saying your religion holds ultimate truth and letting others worship as they will would be a start, don’t you think?

No, it's absolutely essential we state our understanding of faith in the God of Abraham as a starting point to any discussion. Muslims believe this in regards to their religious beliefs as strongly as Christians...it lays out the basis for our differences and enables us to find common ground in the areas we can agree upon. Any waffling in regards to these key tenets of our respective faiths would rightfully be seen as a sign of unbelief.
Last edited by Vetalia on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:57 pm

There is no problem that cannot be solved with education because ignorance is the main source of wars. They must surrender to the authority of the secular because we are the righteous in the leadership of science.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:58 pm

Nakena wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Would be great if all three kept to themselves. Insisting on ultimate truth and discrediting the other keeps adherents at odds constantly.

I agree.

Hence I said that stopping pointless interventions in the middle east and putting an end to islamic mass migration into the west would work a long way to diffuse tensions.

I think Muslims migration into the West is fine, as long as they don’t use their faith in unintended or violent ways.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:01 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Perhaps refraining from saying your religion holds ultimate truth and letting others worship as they will would be a start, don’t you think?

No, it's absolutely essential we state our understanding of faith in the God of Abraham as a starting point to any discussion. Muslims believe this in regards to their religious beliefs as strongly as Christians...it lays out the basis for our differences and enables us to find common ground in the areas we can agree upon. Any waffling in regards to these key tenets of our respective faiths would rightfully be seen as a sign of unbelief.

Not really, no. It essentially opens up interactions on a bad foot. As an outsider, ultimate truth is not something I’d ascribe to Abrahmic religions. Or any religion for that matter. Refraining from acting superior in faith would take everyone a long way but I doubt either Christians or Muslims will stop. So no common ground will be achieved.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:06 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:There is no problem that cannot be solved with education because ignorance is the main source of wars. They must surrender to the authority of the secular because we are the righteous in the leadership of science.

We're pretty good with science, thanks.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:06 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I think Muslims migration into the West is fine, as long as they don’t use their faith in unintended or violent ways.

Mass Migration (like we're talking millions of people here not a few thousend) isn't because its usually not the educated, secularized people from the cities who come and who are somewhat compatible to european culture but the uneducated masses of the lower castes who get quickly alienated in Europe and cling all the more to their religious ethos and start forming an undercaste which provides an reservoir for crime, instability and ultimatively an radical islamist revolutionary potential. See Lebanon post cairo agreement.
Last edited by Nakena on Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:08 pm

Nakena wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Mass Migration (like we're talking millions of people here not a few thousend) isn't because its usually not the educated, secularized people from the cities who come and who are somewhat compatible to european culture but the uneducated masses of the lower castes who get quickly alienated in Europe and cling all the more to their religious ethos and start forming an undercaste which provides an reservoir for crime, instability and ultimatively an radical islamist revolutionary potential. See Lebanon post cairo agreement.

Control who and how many are allowed to enter trough your borders, I guess.
Slava Ukraini

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:10 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Nakena wrote:

Control who and how many are allowed to enter trough your borders, I guess.

Yeah, I wish.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:15 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Not really, no. It essentially opens up interactions on a bad foot. As an outsider, ultimate truth is not something I’d ascribe to Abrahmic religions. Or any religion for that matter. Refraining from acting superior in faith would take everyone a long way but I doubt either Christians or Muslims will stop. So no common ground will be achieved.

But that proves my point, you're an outsider who doesn't understand the depth of faith and theology in Christianity and Islam. Absolute and unequivocal truth regarding God and His revelation to humanity are essential to the Abrahamic revealed religions...we both believe our faith is absolutely, unequivocally true and there is no room for dissension on the tenets of our respective faiths. I can't walk back my faith in the Resurrection of Christ as the Son of God and the Holy Trinity any more than a Muslim can deny the divine revelation granted to Muhammad or their concept of absolute montheism worshipping the One God.

If we admit that these are fundamental differences between us, we can improve our relations in the areas we do agree.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:17 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Not really, no. It essentially opens up interactions on a bad foot. As an outsider, ultimate truth is not something I’d ascribe to Abrahmic religions. Or any religion for that matter. Refraining from acting superior in faith would take everyone a long way but I doubt either Christians or Muslims will stop. So no common ground will be achieved.

But that proves my point, you're an outsider who doesn't understand the depth of faith and theology in Christianity and Islam. Absolute and unequivocal truth regarding God and His revelation to humanity are essential to the Abrahamic revealed religions...we both believe our faith is absolutely, unequivocally true and there is no room for dissension on the tenets of our respective faiths. I can't walk back my faith in the Resurrection of Christ as the Son of God and the Holy Trinity any more than a Muslim can deny the divine revelation granted to Muhammad or their concept of absolute montheism worshipping the One God.

If we admit that these are fundamental differences between us, we can improve our relations in the areas we do agree.

I grew up Christian. I understand very will. Which is why I have the stance I do and why I don’t identify as Christian.

Admitting fundamental difference while also not claiming superiority would be great. But you prove you’re not willing to do that. And neither does the other sides. So the rift will endure.
Slava Ukraini

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:23 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Vetalia wrote:

I grew up Christian. I understand very will. Which is why I have the stance I do and why I don’t identify as Christian.

Admitting fundamental difference while also not claiming superiority would be great. But you prove you’re not willing to do that. And neither does the other sides. So the rift will endure.

Everyone believes what they believe is better than alternatives for one reason or another. Otherwise, why believe it?

I imagine you hold your position because you believe it is better to believe as you do than to believe otherwise.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I grew up Christian. I understand very will. Which is why I have the stance I do and why I don’t identify as Christian.

We simply can't do that, whether Christian or Muslim. The fact is, we both believe we are right and the sole source of religious truth and this is not going to change until the end of the world.

We can, however, find areas of cooperation and common ground that benefit everyone and prevent religious violence.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:25 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Everyone believes what they believe is better than alternatives for one reason or another. Otherwise, why believe it?

I imagine you hold your position because you believe it is better to believe as you do than to believe otherwise.

I hold my position for my own personal reasons. But don’t expect that any common ground can be achieved if your opening line is saying your believe system is the “ultimate truth” or superior to the very group you’re trying to reach about a common ground. You dismiss yourself, to them, from the start.
Slava Ukraini

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:27 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:There is no problem that cannot be solved with education because ignorance is the main source of wars. They must surrender to the authority of the secular because we are the righteous in the leadership of science.

We're pretty good with science, thanks.
Those who blindly defend mythology without questioning can never be good at science. We see the so-called science of those who fight for religion in Syria and Armenia, please don't fool yourself. All you have to do is to obey the rules of secularism. Religions are temporary. Science is permanent.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:28 pm

Vetalia wrote:

Very much this.

And this is very true for a lot if not the majority of moslems and the culture that comes with it. Thats why many westerners fail to understand Islam, because they see it simply as something that can be easily "reformed" or secularized. The idea of such absolute belief is alien to them.

But they do not understand how deep running this can be and how much, for this reason, a barrier it can form at some point. Theres a barrier of both understanding and believing in fundamentally different truths and worldviews as well.

And I think that includes many posters here in this thread too.
Last edited by Nakena on Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:28 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I grew up Christian. I understand very will. Which is why I have the stance I do and why I don’t identify as Christian.

We simply can't do that, whether Christian or Muslim. The fact is, we both believe we are right and the sole source of religious truth and this is not going to change until the end of the world.

We can, however, find areas of cooperation and common ground that benefit everyone and prevent religious violence.

My point, for the last time, is that you can’t expect to find common ground by telling those you’re trying to reach that your religion is the ultimate truth and theirs, implied, is false. Do you understand?
Slava Ukraini

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:29 pm

End sectarianism. Our personal beliefs do not change the fact that many times both Muslims and Christians are in the same boat in terms of socioeconomic status.

Stop violence between the working class. No more brother wars.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:29 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:End sectarianism. Our personal beliefs do not change the fact that many times both Muslims and Christians are in the same boat in terms of socioeconomic status.

You know that's literally a Nazi slogan right lol
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:31 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

I hold my position for my own personal reasons. But don’t expect that any common ground can be achieved if your opening line is saying your believe system is the “ultimate truth” or superior to the very group you’re trying to reach about a common ground. You dismiss yourself, to them, from the start.

And I'm sure it's because you believe it's better than alternatives for one reason or another once you boil it down.

Well yeah, that's never my opening line.

Unless I'm on a first date.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:33 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

And I'm sure it's because you believe it's better than alternatives for one reason or another once you boil it down.

Well yeah, that's never my opening line.

Unless I'm on a first date.

If you think I consider the way I believe to hold ultimate truth, let me say I do not. *shrug*
Slava Ukraini

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:33 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:End sectarianism. Our personal beliefs do not change the fact that many times both Muslims and Christians are in the same boat in terms of socioeconomic status.

You know that's literally a Nazi slogan right lol

Doesn't need to be. Ever heard of appropriation?

Nazis took Pepe. Someone ought to take something from them, especially an innocuous statement like that.
Last edited by Borderlands of Rojava on Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:39 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Vetalia wrote:

My point, for the last time, is that you can’t expect to find common ground by telling those you’re trying to reach that your religion is the ultimate truth and theirs, implied, is false. Do you understand?

We both believe this, so we have to act together in the areas we do agree upon. l would be shocked if Christian or Muslim charities refused to work together as this is one area we both agree upon with no contradiction. You simply can't get us to agree on anything aside from the inherent nature of God.

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:40 pm

Secularization and western values for both sides, to be honest. Teach things like human rights, patriotic values, and tolerance, independent of religion. Encourage religious mixing in schools and basically treat everyone as an equal part of society, a society and identity that belongs to and genuinely accepted by everyone.

Now I'm not religious anymore, but in particular, I saw that the best way to increase tolerance is to have friends outside of your own group. Because of that, I always actively criticized Islam's order of "do not closely befriend infidels" and try to find loopholes or twist the Quranic words in question to produce a different meaning. And had I became the valedictorian of my highschool (which sadly didn't happen), I planned to give a speech endorsing an inter-religious relationship between two of my close friends in front of everyone (of course without naming names) including their parents, pointing out that the Islamist-backed leader of the opposition has a Muslim father and a Christian mother.
Last edited by Resilient Acceleration on Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:44 pm

Plzen wrote:
Glorious Hong Kong wrote:Renounce Islam and Christianity. That would be a start.

It’s a strange day when I’m agreeing with this poster, but this is basically my stance as well.

People who disagree on the basic nature of morality will never be able to truly live at peace. If the world is to meaningfully progress socially, these obsolete superstitions need to disappear.

Stop getting ethical advice from people who’s been dead for centuries.

Don’t know if you’ve noticed but near every law and code that every civilization is founded on, both religious and secular, comes from a dead person.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General