NATION

PASSWORD

Fully Lab-Grown Meat to be sold for first time in history

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:19 am

Resilient Acceleration wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:I used to eat farmed salmon, but now I hardly ever do. Not because of the ecological implications (though they are bad) but because it always tastes the same.

I expect the first few years of lab-grown meat to be "same-ish". Each manufacturer will have standardized ingredients and process and their offering will become wearisome quite quickly. And then, unless it's significantly cheaper, it will become a fringe product for ethical vegos and others concerned about animal treatment.

I think it's an under-appreciated feature of whole foods that their taste varies slightly with the season, or what soil it was grown in or what the animal was fed, or any number of other factors like ripening, meat-hanging, storage temperature and so on. Perhaps the vat-meat manufacturers will buck the trend of trying to give the customer a "consistent" product, always the same taste and texture, and change the taste slightly from batch to batch.

I don't know if like 50, 70% of the population really care enough about that sort of thing. Especially if the price is lower—which is likely if governments starts implementing some sort of carbon tax in the future. Then again, I live in a place where we just dump spices on everything, which kinda defeats the concept of "taste slightly different."

Or to rephrase: "it is called seasoning".
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:19 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Moralityland wrote:yuck! this is disgusting. I'll take real pork beef chicken anytime over this frankenstein meat. These mad scientists have too much time and money on their hands. This is just a few levels below human cloning and making 3 parent human chimeras. I can't believe Singapore is falling for this Trans human great reset eco loony bin crap.

Here is the bottom line kids. There is nothing wrong with industrial farming. and there is nothing wrong with eating real meat. Scientists should stop wasting time money and expensive equipment on Frankenstein experiments like this and focus on real good old fashioned science, like making better rotary engines, or ocean floor mining.

You invoked Frankenstein twice in one post. We don't do that here.

Frankenstein's monster, to be precise.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Moralityland
Secretary

Founded: Dec 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Moralityland » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:20 am

Newark Aristocracy wrote:
Moralityland wrote:uh huh, says the guy named disgrace. it suits you though.

Said the kettle to the teapot.

are you blind? nothing in my nation name is bad, unless you one of those crazies who think morality is a bad thing.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:21 am

Moralityland wrote:Nothing wrong killing animals for food.

But killing animals is not all that happens to animals to get them on your plate.

Live up to your nation name. Produce some moral reasoning.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:21 am

Cordel One wrote:I wonder if they'll lab-grow human meat?

And if it can be made to resemble specific individual humans ?
"Eat the rich ! We have an entré of Gates, followed by a slice of Trump...."
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Disgraces
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:22 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

What did Gates do?
The nation that represents my views is Tidaton

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:24 am

Federation of American States wrote:and Humanity Becomes even more Separated form God.

I mean, the current human civilization already rely on heavily genetically modified crops to fullfill global food demand, so it's not like this is an earth-shattering concept.
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Moralityland wrote:Nothing wrong killing animals for food.

But killing animals is not all that happens to animals to get them on your plate.

Live up to your nation name. Produce some moral reasoning.

Beef factory farming is also a major contributor to climate change, so there's literally no downside whatsoever for innovative industries to provide us with a competitive alternative.

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Ethics Committee of the SCPF
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethics Committee of the SCPF » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:25 am

Moralityland wrote:
Newark Aristocracy wrote:
Your statement is so crazy I want to die.
Lab grown meat will revolutionize food production,and actually help slow climate change,plus there will be less animals killed by industrial farming. Now Morailtyland please press ALT-F4 for the sake of everyone in this thread's sanity.
(TO MODS:This is not intended as a flame,just a jab plus some discussion text.]

Nothing wrong killing animals for food. And climate change is a hoax. It is just a scam politicians use to take away our God given rights.

I really hope you aren’t being serious.
Keep the money in and the money makers out

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:25 am

Disgraces wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

What did Gates do?

Republicans have all kinds of interesting accusations about him. I am just trying to create a nice balanced meal.

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:25 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

People already bought bath water. I would expect some celebrities to at least try selling their own meat, maybe.

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:26 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Disgraces wrote:What did Gates do?

Republicans have all kinds of interesting accusations about him. I am just trying to create a nice balanced meal.

I see

Moralityland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Moralityland » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:28 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Moralityland wrote:
what cruelty? you people are delusional! stop smoking pot dudes!

Cruelty to animals: avoidable suffering, imposed by humans, on animals.

"Moralityland" must be a tiny atoll, where everyone lives on coconuts and yams, and human/animal relations amount to humans being eaten by sharks.

there is nothing cruel about killing animals for food or leather. animals are not people, animals are resources like trees or gasoline. they just happen to move , again, you lefty kooks are delusional.

and shark fin soup is legal in Moralityland.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:28 am

Resilient Acceleration wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:I used to eat farmed salmon, but now I hardly ever do. Not because of the ecological implications (though they are bad) but because it always tastes the same.

I expect the first few years of lab-grown meat to be "same-ish". Each manufacturer will have standardized ingredients and process and their offering will become wearisome quite quickly. And then, unless it's significantly cheaper, it will become a fringe product for ethical vegos and others concerned about animal treatment.

I think it's an under-appreciated feature of whole foods that their taste varies slightly with the season, or what soil it was grown in or what the animal was fed, or any number of other factors like ripening, meat-hanging, storage temperature and so on. Perhaps the vat-meat manufacturers will buck the trend of trying to give the customer a "consistent" product, always the same taste and texture, and change the taste slightly from batch to batch.

I don't know if like 50, 70% of the population really care enough about that sort of thing. Especially if the price is lower—which is likely if governments starts implementing some sort of carbon tax in the future. Then again, I live in a place where we just dump spices on everything, which kinda defeats the concept of "taste slightly different."

That whole spice thing started with low meat standards (ie sick animals that taste bad), low storage and transport standards (ie the meat was going off, or actually rotten), and an acquired taste based on the meat being necessary for nutrition.

It should be easier to eat a mainly-vegetable diet, and it is in many places of the world. Demand for meat has made it cheap, and whether that excessive demand is cultural or innate in humans, is wide of the point. If we taxed meat, and subsidized the vegetable alternatives (and farmed fish of course, I don't enjoy it but it is ecologically practical compared with meat) then the poor could afford enough meat, using a food stamp system, while the rich would waste less meat uneaten.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ethics Committee of the SCPF » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:28 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Disgraces wrote:What did Gates do?

BiLl gAteS iS gOinG tO uSe vAcCinEs tO cOntRoL uS

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:29 am

Moralityland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Right how dare they try and find ways to simultaneously address food inequality and the environmental damage caused by industrial scale farming.

industrial farming causes food inequality? bruh, if it was not for industrial farming, most people alive today would have never been born. and unless your family is rich, that would include both you and me.
and if you stopped industrial farming now millions will starve. it is not a problem, it is the solution.

Well that's one way to admit that you didn't actually read my post and just assumed it said what you wanted it to.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Moralityland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Moralityland » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:30 am

Ethics Committee of the SCPF wrote:
Moralityland wrote:
Nothing wrong killing animals for food. And climate change is a hoax. It is just a scam politicians use to take away our God given rights.

I really hope you aren’t being serious.

and I hope you don't seriously believe in that climate change nonsense.

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:30 am

Moralityland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Right how dare they try and find ways to simultaneously address food inequality and the environmental damage caused by industrial scale farming.

industrial farming causes food inequality? bruh, if it was not for industrial farming, most people alive today would have never been born. and unless your family is rich, that would include both you and me.
and if you stopped industrial farming now millions will starve. it is not a problem, it is the solution.

You,Moralityland,use confirmation bias to ignore the facts,and listen to lies,as sad as it is.

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:31 am

Moralityland wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Cruelty to animals: avoidable suffering, imposed by humans, on animals.

"Moralityland" must be a tiny atoll, where everyone lives on coconuts and yams, and human/animal relations amount to humans being eaten by sharks.

there is nothing cruel about killing animals for food or leather. animals are not people, animals are resources like trees or gasoline. they just happen to move , again, you lefty kooks are delusional.

and shark fin soup is legal in Moralityland.

["Moralityland"]
["Animals are resources"]

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:31 am

Moralityland wrote:
Ethics Committee of the SCPF wrote:I really hope you aren’t being serious.

You mean the thing generally accepted to be a thing by the scientific community and only really denied by people with an economic incentive to do so?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Moralityland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Moralityland » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:31 am

Vassenor wrote:
Moralityland wrote:

Well that's one way to admit that you didn't actually read my post and just assumed it said what you wanted it to.

Bruh I quoted your post unedited. are you drunk?

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ethics Committee of the SCPF » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:32 am

Moralityland wrote:

Nonsense? Your conspiracy is nonsense there’s loads of evidence of its existence.
Keep the money in and the money makers out

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:33 am

Moralityland wrote:

Congrats,you just confirmed what I suspected:You are anti science and indirectly want to cause NYC to become Waterworld.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:33 am

Moralityland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Bruh I quoted your post unedited. are you drunk?

So show us how I said that industrial farming caused food inequality, rather than the environmental damage I ascribed to it.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Moralityland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Moralityland » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:33 am

Vassenor wrote:
Moralityland wrote:

You mean the thing generally accepted to be a thing by the scientific community and only really denied by people with an economic incentive to do so?

lots of scientists don't accept the man made climate change hoax. the people who accept it have both economic and political incentives to push this false narrative. more control and power for politicians for one.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:34 am

Moralityland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

lots of scientists don't accept the man made climate change hoax. the people who accept it have both economic and political incentives to push this false narrative. more control and power for politicians for one.

:rofl:
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General