NATION

PASSWORD

"Holy grail found" as scientists reverses aging by 25 years

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What's your *first* take on this news?

YEAAAAHHH! THE FUTURE IS NOW!
14%
Nah, it's still far away, don't expect too much.
28%
Inb4 Big Pharma try to crush such an existential threat to their profit.
10%
Won't overpopulation, resource extraction, climate change be a problem, though...
11%
Uh, if boomers don't retire and die, will I get a job?
15%
This is but a small step to our inevitable AI-brain integration and transhumanist singularity.
5%
As usual, it'll just benefit the privileged bourgeoisie, except if we take action.
13%
Other
4%

Total votes : 79

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:29 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Looks like such research can help resolve the religious question. If Christianity is factually accurate then immortality must be somehow supernaturally thwarted. That will be interesting to see. If it could go on unimpeded and actually works then the possibility of Christianity being factually accurate is lowered. It’s a win for humanity either way.

May truth and only truth be revealed.

....I don't see how.

The possibility of death will always remain. We can run from it, but it'll come all the same.

Even if age isn't a factor, there's about a million things that can still end your life.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:30 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Looks like such research can help resolve the religious question. If Christianity is factually accurate then immortality must be somehow supernaturally thwarted. That will be interesting to see. If it could go on unimpeded and actually works then the possibility of Christianity being factually accurate is lowered. It’s a win for humanity either way.

May truth and only truth be revealed.

....I don't see how.

The possibility of death will always remain. We can run from it, but it'll come all the same.

Even if age isn't a factor, there's about a million things that can still end your life.

Yes. Hence my extremely uncomfortable claim remains. I actually believe it, by the way.
Welcome to the Nekostan-e Gharbi. Our ancestors were a group of genetically enhanced Israeli cats raised by two Iranian Jewish women, Rachel Davidi and Esther Moshel. We are a constitutional monarchy where a line of benevolent and powerless feline queens “guide” the citizens or more precisely are the subject of their constant gossiping.

Current Queen: Sarah IV (House of Moshel)
Current Prime Minister: Dr. Elisheva Cohen (she is fine with Elizabeth for non-Hebrew speakers) from Likud
Cats rule; dogs drool; Israel rocks; China sucks.
Abolish China and save lives.
What is Sinostatism?
Must read on China by David Goldman https://www.tabletmag.com/amp/sections/ ... ina-empire

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:32 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
....I don't see how.

Yes. Hence my extremely uncomfortable claim remains. I actually believe it, by the way.

Believe what?
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:35 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

Believe what?

If any religion happens to be factually accurate then almost all humans will inevitably go to hell as there is no way to determine what’s the factually accurate religion and sect. As a result nobody should ever reproduce in order not to cause even more hell inmates to exist.
Welcome to the Nekostan-e Gharbi. Our ancestors were a group of genetically enhanced Israeli cats raised by two Iranian Jewish women, Rachel Davidi and Esther Moshel. We are a constitutional monarchy where a line of benevolent and powerless feline queens “guide” the citizens or more precisely are the subject of their constant gossiping.

Current Prime Minister: Dr. Elisheva Cohen (she is fine with Elizabeth for non-Hebrew speakers) from Likud
What is Sinostatism?
Must read on China by David Goldman https://www.tabletmag.com/amp/sections/ ... ina-empire

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:37 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Resilient Acceleration wrote:Well, I think I should reword that to "longevity". Still, most of us do just fine until we are hit by ageing-related diseases, so ignoring the effects of aging reversal therapies to the death rate would be wrong.

Honestly, I think the longer you live, the chances of you dying simply get greater due to chance.

It's a statistical fact. Theres a few videos from Isaac Arthur who deal with those matters.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:37 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
Believe what?

If any religion happens to be factually accurate then almost all humans will inevitably go to hell as there is no way to determine what’s the factually accurate religion and sect. As a result nobody should ever reproduce in order not to cause even more hell inmates to exist.

That's assuming that all people need to be 100% right about everything in order to not go to hell.

Which I don't think is true.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:39 pm

Nakena wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
Honestly, I think the longer you live, the chances of you dying simply get greater due to chance.

It's a statistical fact. Theres a few videos from Isaac Arthur who deal with those matters.

And of course there's also the end of the world and the heat-death of the universe.

So even if we became functionally immortal in nearly every way, we'd still die eventually.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:41 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

That's assuming that all people need to be 100% right about everything in order to not go to hell.

If we take religious claims of major sects of major religions seriously then just in Christianity and Islam there are at least 10+ mutually exclusive helling groups. Note that these two religions consider other religions the worst sin (idolatry). Hence if you pick one sect among them and a different religion happens to be factually accurate you are still going to hell.

Hence hell avoidance is in general not going to happen for most humans ever if any theistic religion is factually accurate. In such a universe it is indeed true that everyone’s birthday is cursed and nobody should ever reproduce.

Of course an atheistic or deistic universe is also a brutal place with Darwinian struggle for continued existence everywhere, just thankfully without hell.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

What is Sinostatism?

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:43 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

If we take religious claims of major sects of major religions seriously then just in Christianity and Islam there are at least 10+ mutually exclusive helling groups. Note that these two religions consider other religions the worst sin (idolatry). Hence if you pick one sect among them and a different religion happens to be factually accurate you are still going to hell.

Hence hell avoidance is in general not going to happen for most humans ever if any theistic religion is factually accurate. In such a universe it is indeed true that everyone’s birthday is cursed and nobody should ever reproduce.

Of course an atheistic or deistic universe is also a brutal place, just thankfully without hell.

I think you're overthinking this by about 1000%.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:47 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

Of course an atheistic or deistic universe is also a brutal place, just thankfully without hell.

I think you're overthinking this by about 1000%.

I just take claims much more seriously than most people.

In fact this reality is also ironically similar to Darwinism: almost everyone will perish. The path to Heaven (or in Darwinism, temporary genetic survival) is very narrow and the path to Hell (or in Darwinism, genetic extinction) is very wide. Only very few who are the fittest (in this case, happens to get the religious question right AND have the discipline to follow it) will remain...for now.

Yes, with or without a factually accurate religion, this is how the universe works. If you have a religion & sect then try your best to follow it, hoping that it happens to be factually accurate. If you don’t then fight for the future of humanity assuming an atheistic or deistic universe by aggressively advancing transhumanism, space colonization and AI. There is only one right path, yet in order not for all humans to perish there has to be someone on every one that looks plausible. Good luck. Most will perish. However as long as some manage to survive humanity has won...at least for now.
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

What is Sinostatism?

The Giant Space Wyrm
Envoy

Founded: Sep 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Giant Space Wyrm » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:04 pm

So your saying I might live long enough to see if Valve ever learns to count to 3? or for Berserks last chapter?
Shower Thoughts Updated OCT/16
"Theirs been rumors that our Legion eats babies. This is of course reductive. We don't just eat babies. We eat literally anything that we can sink our teeth in, we don't care if your a newborn or elderly, you're on the menu."
"Lives are like currency, and we have a lot of disposable income."
Essentially Eldritch Mr. Rogers.
Q & A
Puppet: Comerciante

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:20 pm

The Giant Space Wyrm wrote:So your saying I might live long enough to see if Valve ever learns to count to 3? or for Berserks last chapter?

Be humble, and accept that there are limits to science.

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:44 pm

Resilient Acceleration wrote:
The Giant Space Wyrm wrote:So your saying I might live long enough to see if Valve ever learns to count to 3? or for Berserks last chapter?

Be humble, and accept that there are limits to science.

It is unknown whether the limits exist.

P.S. Are you originally from China? Your nation is one of the most Sinostatist entities on NS I have ever seen.

What is Sinostatism?

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:00 am

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Resilient Acceleration wrote:Be humble, and accept that there are limits to science.

P.S. Are you originally from China? Your nation is one of the most Sinostatist entities on NS I have ever seen.

Uh, no? In fact I consider the present Chinese overreach to be one of the most pressing silent threat to my country. Also if you're talking about my NS nation's lore, it's basically based on Yuval Harari's analysis of the near future, also literally one of the organization's main purpose is to form a united bloc capable of competing against China (though admittedly I haven't had enough time to flesh it out yet).

EDIT: I just looked at the "Should China Exist" thread and found what you meant by "Sinostatist". I mean, obviously I don't condone whatever eugenicist nonsense the (completely fictional) Pasca and the gang believes, but to say there isn't overlap would be lying. The main thesis, "get rid of healthcare/pension spending and use the money to save the world" still stay the same, which is probably why I'm interested in immortality techs and posted this particular thread. Also, the term "Homo deus", "useless class", etc is taken directly from Harari's book about his concerns of the future.
Last edited by Resilient Acceleration on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:10 am

Resilient Acceleration wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

Uh, no? In fact I consider the present Chinese overreach to be one of the most pressing silent threat to my country. Also if you're talking about my NS nation's lore, it's basically based on Yuval Harari's analysis of the near future, also literally one of the organization's main purpose is to form a united bloc capable of competing against China (though admittedly I haven't had enough time to flesh it out yet).

Oh? Interesting. I just hope you genuinely consider it to be something dystopian and awful.

Yuval Harari is pretty good.

What is Sinostatism?

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:06 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Nakena wrote:

And of course there's also the end of the world and the heat-death of the universe.

So even if we became functionally immortal in nearly every way, we'd still die eventually.

Yes, but there is a giant subjective difference between being doomed to die of some kind of old age related disease before hitting 130 and still kicking around strong as ever on your 100000th birthday. Assuming of course that you don't get killed in a war or get crushed in a collapsing mineshaft.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:13 am

Chan Island wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Yes, but there is a giant subjective difference between being doomed to die of some kind of old age related disease before hitting 130 and still kicking around strong as ever on your 100000th birthday. Assuming of course that you don't get killed in a war or get crushed in a collapsing mineshaft.

Or falling off a cliff while mountain climbing at your 11037th birthday. Then again, such death is far more preferable than rotting away due to Alzheimer's.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:46 am

the not-so mysterious case of Benjamin Button
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General