NATION

PASSWORD

Your least favourite class?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Your least favourite class?

The bourgeoise
32%
Mathematics
29%
Chemistry
5%
Other natural sciences (Physics, biology, astronomy)
8%
Social sciences (Psychology, sociology, economics, politics and government)
3%
Literature
6%
Foreign languages
6%
History
0%
Other humanities (Philosophy, history)
2%
Arts
9%

Total votes : 219

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:41 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Art class - In school, I didn't like art class.

Yet it didn't destroy all enthusiasm. That's good.

PE - Probably the very very worst. In fact, if I had to pick one, this is the one. This is the least favorite.

It's a dilemma for modern schools, because kids either love PE or hate it. And government is telling them they have to do all they can to promote physical exercise, but on half of the students PE is doing the opposite. Then there the risk of injury which can get their school sued.

I went to a school where the PE teacher sent us all on a 40 minutes run, off school grounds and up a nearby hummock where he thought he could check on us coming back. But he was probably off bonking one of the other teachers, because the kids had all worked out there was a shortcut, with a nice glade to hang out in (not that nice when it was raining, which was often) which cut the run down to about 10 minutes. Or 20 minutes walk of course. Sometimes he came with us, which was no fun because it was a pretty hard run.

Oh, I forgot P.E. Not enjoyable. Fortunately, I learned early the priceless skill of bunking off PE. Equally luckily, most of my friends also enjoyed bunking off PE (ball games become a lot more fun when you make up your own rules or stand in the centre of the netball court chatting). So I can't really say it was that loathed a subject.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Shadow Deix
Secretary

Founded: Jul 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Deix » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:45 am

My least favourite class would probably be P.E. I mean, it's not like I'm going to learn anything particularly relevant to what I aspire to be, and quite honestly, it's very boring.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:56 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

It's a dilemma for modern schools, because kids either love PE or hate it. And government is telling them they have to do all they can to promote physical exercise, but on half of the students PE is doing the opposite. Then there the risk of injury which can get their school sued.

I went to a school where the PE teacher sent us all on a 40 minutes run, off school grounds and up a nearby hummock where he thought he could check on us coming back. But he was probably off bonking one of the other teachers, because the kids had all worked out there was a shortcut, with a nice glade to hang out in (not that nice when it was raining, which was often) which cut the run down to about 10 minutes. Or 20 minutes walk of course. Sometimes he came with us, which was no fun because it was a pretty hard run.

Oh, I forgot P.E. Not enjoyable. Fortunately, I learned early the priceless skill of bunking off PE. Equally luckily, most of my friends also enjoyed bunking off PE (ball games become a lot more fun when you make up your own rules or stand in the centre of the netball court chatting). So I can't really say it was that loathed a subject.

Shitty memories from PE, mostly junior high:
- Standing in the middle of the court during a basketball game because I wasn't fast enough to keep up with back and forth and snapping back at the teacher "I play more standing here."

- That same teacher telling us to spread out because a hand grenade could take us all out. Him not finding it funny when I asked if he was threatening to throw a hand grenade at us.
- Also was fond of telling us how long it would take to get from one end of the blacktop to the other in Vietnam. Also didn't find it funny when I said, "Thank god for asphalt."
- Not 100% sure he actually went to Vietnam.
- Talked to his 'native american ancestors'. Nearly certain he had none.
- Believed in The Force. From Star Wars.

- Diving in front of the ball in dodge ball (he called it slaughter ball, I'm not sure what rules he changed) so that I could get out of the game quicker.

- Figuring out exactly how many days I could 'forget' my gym clothes and still pass the class.

- Fucking square dancing.

- Fucking juggling! Only one day, I could have kept doing that. I guess I couldn't, I never ended up practicing what I learned.

- Dragging a bunch of people behind me in a touch football game but the coach had me on a soccer team before and knew I wasn't going to be a good player regardless. I just have weirdly strong legs.

- Never getting to play soccer, the only game I knew how to play. I wasn't good, but at least I knew what the fuck I was doing.

- Some dude just punching me out of nowhere but for some reason was twitchy around me the rest of the semester. I guess he wasn't sure if I was capable of retaliating. I was not.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:56 am

Mandarin lessons. The thousands of virtually indecipherable characters drove, and continue to drive my brain cells insane to this day. German was way, way easier to learn with its simple alphabet of 30 letters to work with, 26 of which are already found in English.

I actually did way worse in English literature and design & technology-related subjects. I surprisingly got a B in mathematics, which is better than I expected. The years of Kumon worksheets drove me insane with boredom, however, but they did give me edge of sorts in school even if I didn't realize it at the time.
Last edited by Glorious Hong Kong on Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIBERATE HONG KONG. REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES. CCP DELENDA EST.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.
The case against communism
Definition of radical Islam

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:33 am

English (I'll just go with literature for the poll as that was part of the lessons, but it entailed more than that). I think that's the only subject - apart from PE which I never took too seriously anyway - that could be a bit of a drag sometimes. Everything else was fine.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:05 am

Glorious Hong Kong wrote:Mandarin lessons. The thousands of virtually indecipherable characters drove, and continue to drive my brain cells insane to this day. German was way, way easier to learn with its simple alphabet of 30 letters to work with, 26 of which are already found in English.

I actually did way worse in English literature and design & technology-related subjects. I surprisingly got a B in mathematics, which is better than I expected. The years of Kumon worksheets drove me insane with boredom, however, but they did give me edge of sorts in school even if I didn't realize it at the time.

Ah, yes, the great child abuse Kumon. Tbh though, I now kinda wished I had some sort of Kumon-esque training during my earlier years, as my largest problem in mathematics is my slow and often clumsy way of counting and solving (concepts meanwhile are waay more fun to learn).

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:07 am

Neutraligon wrote:Hmm, honestly English. I hate analyzing texts since more often then not I feel it is pointless to read them that way.

I can understand hating this (after all, I hated math classes), but seeing this as pointless is wrong. There's a lot of useful skills in analyzing text.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:08 am

I need an option for the underclass.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:09 am

I love academics so much that seeing "Literature" as an option made my soul hurt.

Definitely mathematics. Without hesitation.

Punished UMN wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Hmm, honestly English. I hate analyzing texts since more often then not I feel it is pointless to read them that way.

I can understand hating this (after all, I hated math classes), but seeing this as pointless is wrong. There's a lot of useful skills in analyzing text.

I love English. I do. But when you can't see the point of a story, it can be...like...y tho.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:13 am

Anyway, in high school (secondary school for you Euros), my least favorite was Pre-calculus, because I'm shit at it, favorite was history. In College/University, the least favorite class I ever took was probably my thesis class (because the person grading our theses demanded that we write them in her field of study) and my favorite was probably a class called Power and Morality in International Relations, which was just extremely interdisciplinary and open-ended class that was just plain interesting.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:35 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Resilient Acceleration wrote:Of all the natural sciences meanwhile, Chemistry is probably my least favorite. Math and Physics are really fun if and only if I ignore the looming disasters that is the exams. Curiously enough, I found Biology to be my favorite and I can still my interest show up whenever I go anywhere that involves nature, which is strange as I'm majoring in computing :D

Have you considered bioinformatics? :)

It's using computers to calculate all kinds of cool things, like DNA sequencing and protein folding.

I really considered biomed engineering! It's really just one click away as it's on the same faculty, but sadly I don't think the prospects (at least here) is as good as, say, info-tech system. I haven't gave it up completely though :D

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Destyntine
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Destyntine » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:26 am

I have and always will hate mathematics. I didn't mind the basic addition/multiplication but as soon as I got to algebra, SCREW THAT. Math is literally like trying to force your brain to think in a non-human way to solve theoretically man-made pools of chaos made of numbers and letters (alien hieroglyphics once you get to trigonometry and calculus) to find a number that matches a 'formula'. Honestly, computer science had to be my favorite.
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ I do stuff n' thangs.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Spaceship go Vroooom!

NS stats are not 100% accurate, but they do represent my nation slightly!
Yeah, I'm sassy! Get over it!

Nevertopia
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:44 am

Kubra wrote:
Nevertopia wrote:I never liked playing healers. Theyre important to any group composition but theyre so out of the game.
nah I hate tanking more, the playstyle is fun but because you set the pace everyone expects you to know the whole meta as it updates.

That's fair. Everyone wants to be dps. As someone that dabbled in tanking it truly is a thankless ordeal sometimes.
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:03 am

Punished UMN wrote:

I don't mind analyzing texts depending on how I am analyzing it. Like someone else said, claiming that opening the door is a metaphor for opening the heart when I don't read it that way and yet I am told to write about it was annoying. My class taught about the tools, but did not teach about the framework in which those tools where used. It was like people said about their math classes, they are taught the formulas but nothing about why those formulas are used or anything like that and so it became useless fluff that I have not used since then. I do analyze texts, but I do not use the tools I was taught in English class.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:06 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Art class - In school, I didn't like art class.

Try four years in an art course at uni. I loved it but by the last semester i wanted to stab someone half the time i came in lol

Took a toll too on my enthusiasm, put art on hold for a few years after i graduated as i was burnt out, getting back into it though the last year or so.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:09 am

phys ed. complete waste of a period i could actually have been learning something interesting or at least useful.
all the exercise that interests me i get walking through the woods. i do miss doing that though.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:13 am

On another note, I'm not on board with the hate towards maths here. Maybe that's because it's a subject I personally find rather easy - once I know what to do. I think it's one of those subjects that is only good when you know what you're doing, otherwise it would be meh.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:47 am

Nevertopia wrote:
Kubra wrote: nah I hate tanking more, the playstyle is fun but because you set the pace everyone expects you to know the whole meta as it updates.

That's fair. Everyone wants to be dps. As someone that dabbled in tanking it truly is a thankless ordeal sometimes.
Weeeell you know, DPS is just know your rotation and the mechanics, it's a lot less involved.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Petropova
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Petropova » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:52 am

As always MATH (Mental Abuse To Humans) and science that involves table of elements. And just recently java coding, my mind literally exploded in coding for five hours straight.
God, Liberty, and Slavic Nationalism

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:08 pm

Petropova wrote:As always MATH (Mental Abuse To Humans) and science that involves table of elements. And just recently java coding, my mind literally exploded in coding for five hours straight.

Wait, Java as a class? When you hate math and science? Why are you doing this to yourself?

Or, if this is high school and you have no choice, why are they teaching Java as (presumably) the first programming language.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:13 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Petropova wrote:As always MATH (Mental Abuse To Humans) and science that involves table of elements. And just recently java coding, my mind literally exploded in coding for five hours straight.

Wait, Java as a class? When you hate math and science? Why are you doing this to yourself?

Or, if this is high school and you have no choice, why are they teaching Java as (presumably) the first programming language.
Back when I was in school it was what the advanced placement kids studied, and boy they *hated* it. The only reason they stayed because if they went with us normal kids learning C++ and sometimes burning mints with solder guns they couldn't use the grade on a university application.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:16 pm

Kubra wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

Back when I was in school it was what the advanced placement kids studied, and boy they *hated* it. The only reason they stayed because if they went with us normal kids learning C++ and sometimes burning mints with solder guns they couldn't use the grade on a university application.

C++

Jeez, these are horrible languages as an intro to programming, especially for high school kids. Way too much managing of stuff that can be abstracted away.

Python <3

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:23 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Kubra wrote: Back when I was in school it was what the advanced placement kids studied, and boy they *hated* it. The only reason they stayed because if they went with us normal kids learning C++ and sometimes burning mints with solder guns they couldn't use the grade on a university application.

C++

Jeez, these are horrible languages as an intro to programming, especially for high school kids. Way too much managing of stuff that can be abstracted away.

Python <3
Man I fucking loathe python. It's a language that judges you for the messy state of your bedroom.
Like, you know, I get why that's really important in an educational context, but man you just don't fuck with a guys bedroom.
Comrade J. Posadas

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Kubra wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
C++

Python <3
Man I fucking loathe python. It's a language that judges you for the messy state of your bedroom.
Like, you know, I get why that's really important in an educational context, but man you just don't fuck with a guys bedroom.

Yeah, the whitespace is the main drawback I have on python.

Also, I had plenty of fucks in a guys (myself) bedroom :p

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:35 pm

It changes over time. Believe it or not, history was my least favourite one year because of a really obnoxious teacher.

Generally in school it was always a toss-up between gym and maths however. ICT could get aggressively boring at times too.

Currently for my masters I have to say I don't care much for my practical journalism module. Photoshop and indesign are really bloody hardto work with, I just wanna write man...
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General