NATION

PASSWORD

Your least favourite class?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Your least favourite class?

The bourgeoise
32%
Mathematics
29%
Chemistry
5%
Other natural sciences (Physics, biology, astronomy)
8%
Social sciences (Psychology, sociology, economics, politics and government)
3%
Literature
6%
Foreign languages
6%
History
0%
Other humanities (Philosophy, history)
2%
Arts
9%

Total votes : 219

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:37 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:I'm surprised math is more hated than PE.

I don't know, I found moving X, Y, Zs around equations highly satisfying. It's like a puzzle game. There's something satisfying about the balancing of it all and it looks good on the paper.

The units had all these mini-games too (other than algebra) like the logarithms, radian to degrees/trigonometry puzzles, and the calc derivative stuff.

Am the only one?

Sure, but I wonder if it would be less confronting if variables were given names that don't look at all like ISO Latin letters. x and y are supposed to be italicized, but that does not distinguish them much.

Little kids do algebra effortlessly, when the variable is portrayed as a box, circle or triangle. But then they use written language for several years before a teacher shows them "real" algebra. They're really very sure what the letter x is, then they're told that it's unknown and they have to manipulate the equation so the x is on one side (preferably the left side) and a number is on the right. What the fuck?

Maybe instead of x and y, teachers could use Greek letters. Being a bit careful since some have later mathematical meanings (capital omega Ω and capital delta Δ for instance) while others look too much like ISO Latin.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:40 am

English. Language subjects are basically boring and useless.My teacher warned me that I would use it in my future work.No, I will use professional English instead of English I learned in class.I prefer to learn English from Samuel L. Jackson
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:40 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I don't know, I found moving X, Y, Zs around equations highly satisfying. It's like a puzzle game. There's something satisfying about the balancing of it all and it looks good on the paper.

The units had all these mini-games too (other than algebra) like the logarithms, radian to degrees/trigonometry puzzles, and the calc derivative stuff.

Am the only one?

Sure, but I wonder if it would be less confronting if variables were given names that don't look at all like ISO Latin letters. x and y are supposed to be italicized, but that does not distinguish them much.

Little kids do algebra effortlessly, when the variable is portrayed as a box, circle or triangle. But then they use written language for several years before a teacher shows them "real" algebra. They're really very sure what the letter x is, then they're told that it's unknown and they have to manipulate the equation so the x is on one side (preferably the left side) and a number is on the right. What the fuck?

Maybe instead of x and y, teachers could use Greek letters. Being a bit careful since some have later mathematical meanings (capital omega Ω and capital delta Δ for instance) while others look too much like ISO Latin.

X also looks like the multiplication sign :)

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:52 am

Am the only one?

Have you ever been exposed to probability theory, linear algebra, limit ,series,ordinary differential equation and space analytic geometry?It's very annoying.Calculators are not allowed in almost all exams except geometry.I used to stay up for a week to prepare for exams :(

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:01 am

PE was always great fun. You got to move, a rare treat in a lecture system, and you got to compete. The rush and exercise always kept me feeling alert in my later classes.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Esalia
Minister

Founded: Oct 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Esalia » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:11 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Same, I likened it to dissecting a frog to see how it works, fine but you killed the frog. And I really couldn't see how explaining how the weather in King Lear, for example, amplified the mood of the play.. it takes two lines.

One type of text I thought stood up to analysis: the dystopias.

For A-Levels, we had a Dystopian Fiction module: The Handmaid's Tale and Nineteen-Eighty-Four, with an optional Brave New World extension. Those I could have analysed and compared/contrasted 'til the cows came home.

Pretty much any darker story were the only ones I could analyse deeply and feel like I understood the analysis and enjoyed it.

I don't know why I couldn't have the same with lighter themes in lighter stories, which would've helped a lot since nine times out of ten the GCSE English Language text was a lighter one.
Formerly Estanglia.

Pro: Things I think are good.
Anti: Things I think are bad.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:13 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:

Am the only one?

Have you ever been exposed to probability theory, linear algebra, limit ,series,ordinary differential equation and space analytic geometry?It's very annoying.Calculators are not allowed in almost all exams except geometry.I used to stay up for a week to prepare for exams :(

My school was strange in that calculators (scientific) were allowed for a lot of things.

I took statistics/probability and it was a strange case of "I had very little clue what was really going on but my classmates had even LESS of a clue so I got curved ahead and did... well?"

As for the rest, truth be told... I'm not sure. I did AP Calculus and AP Statistics (Americanized international school in Hong Kong) and got 5s but I don't remember exactly what was/wasn't covered in them. Sadly, I've forgotten all but the most basic forms of math but at the time it wasn't un-fun.

I'd have to recheck the syllabus for those to narrow it out, but my suspicions is that a lot of what you mentioned I didn't touch at all (I don't think the US system is very rigorous in maths compared to other systems like the Singaporean/Japanese/Chinese curriculums for math).

There was a Geometry course but I think we over-whelming focused on Proofs. We must have done a lot of things on triangles but exactly what specifically? Can't recall.

Now in AP Calculus I did remember SOMETHING about working out limits, doing derivatives, and then somehow drawing some 3D shapes on graph paper and trying to figure out intersections. What would that be?

Calimama
Minister

Founded: Feb 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Calimama » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:18 am

Kernen wrote:PE was always great fun. You got to move, a rare treat in a lecture system, and you got to compete. The rush and exercise always kept me feeling alert in my later classes.

See, I liked PE too, the only problem was it was one of my first classes in the morning. I usually didn't get enough sleep during school week so I would be most of the time a half-awake zombie trying to do whatever they planned that day.
Last edited by Calimama on Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am thou, thou art I. Thou hast acquired a new vow. It shall become the wings of rebellion that breakth thy chains of captivity.
"And now, standing on this mountain of brave corpses, I have quite the view." - Erwin Smith
“You know the difference between me and you? I bleed red and you bleed green.” - Avon Barksdale
Where was your star?
Was it far, was it far?
When did we leave?
We believed, we believed, we believed

In the heat and the rain
With whips and chains
Just to see him fly
Too many died
We build a tower of stone
With our flesh and bone
To see him fly
But we don't know why
Ooh, now where do we go

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:34 am

Math. All I learned there was creating new ways to curse God for his bullshit.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:28 am

Calimama wrote:
Kernen wrote:PE was always great fun. You got to move, a rare treat in a lecture system, and you got to compete. The rush and exercise always kept me feeling alert in my later classes.

See, I liked PE too, the only problem was it was one of my first classes in the morning. I usually didn't get enough sleep during school week so I would be most of the time a half-awake zombie trying to do whatever they planned that day.

That's rough. Mine was after lunch. At first it was a surefire way to make me sick, but it moderated food intake, which limited weight gain and made excersize easier, which made gym fun... All of which reinforced itself. I recall thinking poorly of gym at the time, but it was one of the best classes for me in retrospect.

In college, I assumed I'd be active without classes. That was a mistake. I'm still repairing the damage done by video games, buffet dining halls, and cheap beer.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:30 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

This is why real chads don't even sign their multiplication and leave it implied. But if you're not cool enough for that yet, there's also the dot notation, which also erases ambiguity. Also the history of using x for unknowns goes all the way back to Descartes, and you're not going to get mathematicians to change centuries-old notation so at some point school children are going to have to familiarize themselves with it.
Last edited by Valrifell on Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Prusmia
Attaché

Founded: Nov 14, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Prusmia » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:33 am

English... I just, why. do. we. need. to. know. why. the. curtains. symbolize. the. characters. depression.
She/Her

| |||||||||||||||||||| | |||||||||||||||||||| | |||||||||||||||||||| |

| Former Vice President & Space Cartographer of the New World Union, Former Minister of Foreign of Foreign Affairs & Current Diplomat of Forest |
Subject to change without official notice, or even unofficial notice; we're winging it.This product is meant for educational purposes only as students are trapped in classes and can't escape. Any resemblance to real, artificial or simulated persons, living or dead, will be news to us. Avoid contact with skin: levitate. Be sure each item is properly endorsed by a major political party. Your signature is not an admission of guilt, though we'll try and convince the jury otherwise:

Keep away from fire or flames or nuclear detonations.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:34 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:

Am the only one?

All of those things are rad as fuck though, and most calculators can't help you for ODEs anyway.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:34 am

Prusmia wrote:English... I just, why. do. we. need. to. know. why. the. curtains. symbolize. the. characters. depression.

It's important to learn how to critically analyze what you read and be open to not-obvious interpretations of certain things.

Arab Republic of the Levant
Civilian

Founded: Nov 29, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Arab Republic of the Levant » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:36 am

always math,they say im so "disrespectful" when my microphone and camera are off and someones insulting the teacher,oh boy im a verbal punching bag. i get 3 more hours when 7 is enough.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:37 am

Valrifell wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

This is why real chads don't even sign their multiplication and leave it implied. But if you're not cool enough for that yet, there's also the dot notation, which also erases ambiguity. Also the history of using x for unknowns goes all the way back to Descartes, and you're not going to get mathematicians to change centuries-old notation so at some point school children are going to have to familiarize themselves with it.

I used the dots to multiply in my homework

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:06 am

Valrifell wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Gigachads don't use any mathematical function symbols. All functions are implied. Only betas struggle to see the string of numerals and can't calculate the result correctly.

I can't calculate with the symbols, so I am not a Mathchad.

Lawful Evil

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:15 am

This is one poll where I'm glad that the Humanities have scored low.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:20 am

What I've learned about this thread is that most of you are not very sporty, and that when I was in school, I'd run circles around you, and you'd be unable to count how many.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:24 am

Kernen wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Gigachads don't use any mathematical function symbols. All functions are implied. Only betas struggle to see the string of numerals and can't calculate the result correctly.

I can't calculate with the symbols, so I am not a Mathchad.

That would help relieve test/exam stress ... which imo is the only reason math sucks. It enjoyable when you can take your time. As soon as there's a time limit math skills go down to meet it, then the last question is plain impossible so you don't check the others over and get a C. Then test trauma ruins everything because you're ALWAYS hurrying. There should be less to do in the same time, put some hard questions at the end to separate A students from the others, should work better.

Terachads don't need to write anything: constants, variables, operators. All true equations can be reduced to a blank line ... except the equality symbol to show there's an equation there. The teacher will ban it before all the other kids start doing it, but you'll get one perfect mark!
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:26 am

The New California Republic wrote:This is one poll where I'm glad that the Humanities have scored low.

I've just noticed that the poll is actually broken:

History

Other humanities (Philosophy, history)
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:29 am

Valrifell wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

This is why real chads don't even sign their multiplication and leave it implied. But if you're not cool enough for that yet, there's also the dot notation, which also erases ambiguity.

Cross product: let me introduce myself

But really, eventually I just end up writing my "x", "y", and even the greek letters in that curvy manner commonly found in the usual LateX "math font". I guess my terrible handwriting also help distinguish the math from the illegible scribbles.

Though, I recently found out that writing in italic, achievable by rotating up your paper by 45°, increases your writing speed twofold. More importantly, your writing's readability and aesthetic also increase by 900000000%. It does sometimes causes back pain though :D
Last edited by Resilient Acceleration on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:02 am

Narvatus wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Without even looking at the poll options I knew that maths would be the most hated class. Technically the joke option is winning, but joke options are discarded.

Joke options on polls should never exist.

*sad Hasselhoff noises*
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:14 am

Valrifell wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Oh Descartes.I remember Cartesian product and Cartesian coordinates

Terentino
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Terentino » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:42 am

MATH! always math and chemistry

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General