NATION

PASSWORD

The World Police

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who should be the "World Police"?

The USA is by far the most preferable and realistic option. Best to stick with what we've got.
33%
I think Russia would make a far better world policeman.
4%
China as world police would be a vast improvement over the United States.
2%
I'm still holding out hope for Brazil for world police.
2%
I won't count India out of the running for world policeman just yet.
1%
The European Union will eventually pull it together and become a better world police than the US ever was.
5%
The only world police I support is the United Nations... just as soon as they find their stones.
21%
I'd rather see competing superpowers vying for power; bring back the Cold War era.
11%
Man, I still say it's entirely possible for us to ditch superpowers altogether.
11%
Hasselhoff is the only world police the Earth will ever need.
11%

Total votes : 103

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:37 am

Romextly wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:Maybe we'd be best just getting rid of them entirely.

Or restrustcuring them. If there are no governments, then no security

No security? Don't threaten me with a good time.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:38 am

A m e n r i a wrote:China will save us from the menace that is America.

China? Traditional values? No.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

The Federal Government of Iowa
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:14 am

Punished UMN wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:You see, that's a drone strike on a random population center. I've never heard of the US drone striking anything equivalent to a shopping mall. I could be wrong, I'll admit that, I've just never heard of it as of yet.
Also wish to point out that the USA hates terrorists maybe more than anyone else, the Feds would more than likely work to get rid of any terrorist.

We definitely bomb large public events with drones and this is well-known. The US government has admitted it redefines "enemy combatant" to make the campaign appear more ethical than it is.

The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:If the terrorists first violate countries national sovereignty, I believe it's within reason to go after the terrorists. Obviously, you can't stomp on the regional government, I think that it's important you work with them, but if the government of that area also sponsors or harbors the terrorists I believe it's the right of the nation that was attacked to strike back. Still not an excuse to carpet bomb whole regions, that's wrong. So long as you're trying to not kill civilians, I find it to be ok.

What you "find to be okay" is an act of war under international law.

So is harboring terrorists which have attacked a nation.
Right-leaning American Christian. Guns are fun. Space is fun too.
gender and biology are the same thing, sorry
I respect your right to ruin your life, but I don't have to celebrate it

"For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever!"- Romans 1: 21-25

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:44 am

The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:We definitely bomb large public events with drones and this is well-known. The US government has admitted it redefines "enemy combatant" to make the campaign appear more ethical than it is.

What you "find to be okay" is an act of war under international law.

So is harboring terrorists which have attacked a nation.

Uhm...no, no it isn't. Harbouring terrorists can trigger a nations self-defence rights under international law, however it is not an act of war. The bush doctrine violates international law as it draws no difference between the terrorists operating in a country and the country itself, giving the united states justification to itself to use disproportionate force against neutral parties. There is a clear difference between attacking a terrorist group in another country and attacking the country itself.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:45 am

A m e n r i a wrote:Actually, for most of us, it's the other way around. USA is the world's bully. They go around exporting their shitty culture and try to erode traditional values, and they invade and/or destabilise countries for resources and to shove their retarded ideology on us.
So on the part that it's a bad thing, yes. It's a horrible thing. If course, I'd rather choose the greatest country in the world over them. China will save us from the menace that is America.

You think the country that is sending millions of Muslims to atheist indoctrination camps is better than the US? :eyebrow:

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:57 am

Unfortunately, the UN is weak and corrupt because tyrannical dictatorships have too much power in the UN administration and effectively block any serious attempt by the UN to stop human rights violations. Which is why it has been necessary for the US to serve as the world police instead. And considering that the US is a wealthy country with the world's largest military, and largest economy, we have a duty to help the people in the world who are not as fortunate as we are. Unfortunately, since the election of Trump as president, our democratic institutions have seriously been eroded, and the ideal of trying to do the right thing in international affairs has been replaced with a sort of ruthless, cynical "America First" realpolitik. As an American, I want more moral leadership for my country, but at the same time, I can understand why the rest of the world doesn't trust us anymore. Indeed, I would like to see the European Union develop its own military capabilities so that they can effectively defend themselves without relying on the US. I would even like to see the European Union displace the US as the main military superpower. But that goal is a long way off, and for the moment the EU will probably need to cooperate with the US to defend themselves against Russian and Red Chinese agression.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:05 am

Bienenhalde wrote:Unfortunately, the UN is weak and corrupt because tyrannical dictatorships have too much power in the UN administration and effectively block any serious attempt by the UN to stop human rights violations. Which is why it has been necessary for the US to serve as the world police instead. And considering that the US is a wealthy country with the world's largest military, and largest economy, we have a duty to help the people in the world who are not as fortunate as we are. Unfortunately, since the election of Trump as president, our democratic institutions have seriously been eroded, and the ideal of trying to do the right thing in international affairs has been replaced with a sort of ruthless, cynical "America First" realpolitik. As an American, I want more moral leadership for my country, but at the same time, I can understand why the rest of the world doesn't trust us anymore. Indeed, I would like to see the European Union develop its own military capabilities so that they can effectively defend themselves without relying on the US. I would even like to see the European Union displace the US as the main military superpower. But that goal is a long way off, and for the moment the EU will probably need to cooperate with the US to defend themselves against Russian and Red Chinese agression.

The reason the world doesn't trust the US anymore is more because of people like you than people like Trump. Also that's not the UN being "weak and corrupt", that it doing what it's supposed to do. The UN is meant to represent the interests of all countries as a forum of discussion, not to promote a particular system of government dictated by the Western powers.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:41 pm

A m e n r i a wrote:...

try to erode traditional values

Elaborate.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:15 am

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:I mean China murdered it's own citizens in cold blood in Tiananmen in November of 1989 for peaceful protest. If they're willing to do that to their own people, even when those people are being non-threatening, what will they do to foreign dissenters? They already threaten the families of the Chinese diaspora if they speak out against the regime.

We are talking about a country's role as world police, so internal policies are irrelevant to the discussion, and I do not accept the premise that a country that is more democratic at home will necessarily be more democratic abroad. Free and open elections were no barrier against European colonial powers doing unspeakable things in the colonies, and free and open elections still aren't a barrier to the United States killing hundreds of thousands of people in places like Iraq.

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:You really think that if they could remove governments in opposition to Chinese influences from power that they wouldn't do so? Not only would they, but they'd show the exact same reckless disregard for the lives of the people living under said governments and prop up Duvalieresque figures without a care.

I fail to see how this makes them worse than the Americans. The United States also has a tried-and-true history of overturning or destabilising hostile regimes and propping up some extremely colourful characters as client dictators.
Last edited by Plzen on Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General