NATION

PASSWORD

The World Police

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who should be the "World Police"?

The USA is by far the most preferable and realistic option. Best to stick with what we've got.
33%
I think Russia would make a far better world policeman.
4%
China as world police would be a vast improvement over the United States.
2%
I'm still holding out hope for Brazil for world police.
2%
I won't count India out of the running for world policeman just yet.
1%
The European Union will eventually pull it together and become a better world police than the US ever was.
5%
The only world police I support is the United Nations... just as soon as they find their stones.
21%
I'd rather see competing superpowers vying for power; bring back the Cold War era.
11%
Man, I still say it's entirely possible for us to ditch superpowers altogether.
11%
Hasselhoff is the only world police the Earth will ever need.
11%

Total votes : 103

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:24 pm

The only legitimacy I accept in government is the support of the governed. The United Nations, or some other global equivalent, must hold the final say on international affairs.

That being said, given that the possibility of this happening in the near future seems rather remote, I agree that the US holding the title of world police isn't terrible - an acceptable second-best solution in the absence of a good one - but I also have serious doubts that China or the European Union as world police would be as awful as some proponents of American hegemony make them out to be. I'm confident that the Chinese will leave our constitutional democracy alone as long as we never use it to oppose Chinese interests - just like the Americans do today, in other words.

The other options listed - Russia, India, Brazil - I don’t consider plausible near-future alternatives. My feelings on a multipolar, Cold War era scenario is... mixed and after some recent revelations I don’t feel confident enough about that topic to talk about it.
Last edited by Plzen on Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:53 am

Elsa De Arendelle wrote:The USA is the final safe haven for all non-Catholic/non-Orthodox Christians.

What?

Xeng He
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Xeng He » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:03 am

I think there should be a world policeman, but I don't know if the US is doing the best job.

Ideally the UN would increase in power and handle all human rights abuses but that's in the far future.
Blazedtown wrote:[an ism is] A term used by people who won't admit their true beliefs, or don't have any.
[spoiler=Quotes]
Galloism: ...social media is basically cancer. I’d like to reiterate that social media is bringing the downfall of society in a lot of ways.
I'm Not Telling You It's Going to Be Easy, I'm Telling You It's Going to be Worth It.
Oh my god this comic

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:05 am

Xeng He wrote:I think there should be a world policeman, but I don't know if the US is doing the best job.

Ideally the UN would increase in power and handle all human rights abuses but that's in the far future.

I seriously doubt any actual powerful nation is going to hand over the power to the UN that would be necessary for that
Last edited by Adamede on Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:12 am

A m e n r i a wrote:Actually, for most of us, it's the other way around. USA is the world's bully. They go around exporting their shitty culture and try to erode traditional values, and they invade and/or destabilise countries for resources and to shove their retarded ideology on us.

Yes, I already addressed that.

So on the part that it's a bad thing, yes. It's a horrible thing. If course, I'd rather choose the greatest country in the world over them. China will save us from the menace that is America.

You realize China would do the exact same thing, right? Also weird to see a Muslim support China considering how China is currently trying to exterminate your religion and all it's followers.

A m e n r i a wrote:
Senkaku wrote:well, we need someone, but letting individual states do it seems like a flawed approach for a whole lot of reasons... but I can't see the morass of international dysfunction that is the UN stepping up and becoming a viable option any time soon either, or anyone letting it even if it could

Global caliphate time. 8)

You're just full of bad ideas, huh? :p

Elsa De Arendelle wrote:The USA is the final safe haven for all non-Catholic/non-Orthodox Christians.

wat

How... how is this even relevant?

Plzen wrote:The only legitimacy I accept in government is the support of the governed. The United Nations, or some other global equivalent, must hold the final say on international affairs.

That being said, given that the possibility of this happening in the near future seems rather remote, I agree that the US holding the title of world police isn't terrible - an acceptable second-best solution in the absence of a good one - but I also have serious doubts that China or the European Union as world police would be as awful as some proponents of American hegemony make them out to be. I'm confident that the Chinese will leave our constitutional democracy alone as long as we never use it to oppose Chinese interests - just like the Americans do today, in other words.

The other options listed - Russia, India, Brazil - I don’t consider plausible near-future alternatives. My feelings on a multipolar, Cold War era scenario is... mixed and after some recent revelations I don’t feel confident enough about that topic to talk about it.

I mean China murdered it's own citizens in cold blood in Tiananmen in November of 1989 for peaceful protest. If they're willing to do that to their own people, even when those people are being non-threatening, what will they do to foreign dissenters? They already threaten the families of the Chinese diaspora if they speak out against the regime. You really think that if they could remove governments in opposition to Chinese influences from power that they wouldn't do so? Not only would they, but they'd show the exact same reckless disregard for the lives of the people living under said governments and prop up Duvalieresque figures without a care.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:30 am

America definitely acts like the world policeman. I think the incidents that caused the protests of this summer prove America acts quite alot like how the actual police often do, which is probably why so many people don't like America anymore.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:38 am

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:I mean China murdered it's own citizens in cold blood in Tiananmen in November of 1989 for peaceful protest. If they're willing to do that to their own people, even when those people are being non-threatening, what will they do to foreign dissenters?

China literally passed a law saying that all foreigners who have spoken in support of Hong Kong and criticized China will be immediately arrested upon setting foot on China's soil. It applies to all 7 billion people of this planet.

Per this law, I, you, and all other NSGers who support Hong Kong are now officially criminals.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:57 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:America definitely acts like the world policeman. I think the incidents that caused the protests of this summer prove America acts quite alot like how the actual police often do, which is probably why so many people don't like America anymore.

I think you over estimate how popular America ever was as a geopolitical force.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:14 am

Adamede wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:America definitely acts like the world policeman. I think the incidents that caused the protests of this summer prove America acts quite alot like how the actual police often do, which is probably why so many people don't like America anymore.

I think you over estimate how popular America ever was as a geopolitical force.

Its less popular now than it was before it stuck its nose out in the world. There's a reason people in other countries view us like the boogeyman, and it isnt cause they're jealous of our fake and fleeting freedoms.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:26 am

Picairn wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:I mean China murdered it's own citizens in cold blood in Tiananmen in November of 1989 for peaceful protest. If they're willing to do that to their own people, even when those people are being non-threatening, what will they do to foreign dissenters?

China literally passed a law saying that all foreigners who have spoken in support of Hong Kong and criticized China will be immediately arrested upon setting foot on China's soil. It applies to all 7 billion people of this planet.

Per this law, I, you, and all other NSGers who support Hong Kong are now officially criminals.

...I don't know about you but I'm going to wear this as a badge of honor lmao. :lol:
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:32 am

A m e n r i a wrote:China will save us from the menace that is America.

Despite the U.S. intervening in too may countries, China isn't this benevolent force that won't exploit you or save your civilization either. Hardly the greatest country on the world either. They would happily stamp your culture out if it served their interests.
Last edited by The Reformed American Republic on Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:34 am

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:...I don't know about you but I'm going to wear this as a badge of honor lmao. :lol:

Well, new sig time. :)

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:42 am

We should stop with our interventionism that's for sure. We can stay out of civil wars.
Last edited by The Reformed American Republic on Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:55 am

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:...I don't know about you but I'm going to wear this as a badge of honor lmao. :lol:

Seems I was more on spot than I thought:

Nakena wrote:The PRC under Xi (emphasis under Xi) is an threat to every freedom loving human being on this entire planet. That includes pretty much everyone who does not wish to live under their rule, their sphere or least their shadow. Now some people may say "but the US is worse"... sure theres always powers that be, but it makes an difference if for those offer possibilities of freedom and evolution or are closed totalitarian systems that tolerate nothing outside of themself.
Last edited by Nakena on Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:58 am

Nakena wrote:Seems I was more on spot than I thought:

Nakena wrote:The PRC under Xi (emphasis under Xi) is an threat to every freedom loving human being on this entire planet. That includes pretty much everyone who does not wish to live under their rule, their sphere or least their shadow. Now some people may say "but the US is worse"... sure theres always powers that be, but it makes an difference if for those offer possibilities of freedom and evolution or are closed totalitarian systems that tolerate nothing outside of themself.

You predicted China's HK national security law, which was passed in June 2020.

Oh yeah, you are now also a criminal. ;)
Last edited by Picairn on Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:28 am

A single country being a "global policeman" is stupid because the idea would require them to be politically neutral on things that affect them. There can be no global government, only intergovernance by the collective nations of the world. There are too many conflicting interests in the world for a single country or a group of countries enforcing things to possibly approach fairness.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:16 am

A.E.I.O.U. (but Eastern Orthodox).
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:35 pm

The Marlborough wrote:A.E.I.O.U. (but Eastern Orthodox).

I don't get it?

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:36 pm

Good movie.

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:28 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:A.E.I.O.U. (but Eastern Orthodox).

I don't get it?

Universal monarchy.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:40 pm

A m e n r i a wrote:Actually, for most of us, it's the other way around. USA is the world's bully. They go around exporting their shitty culture and try to erode traditional values, and they invade and/or destabilise countries for resources and to shove their retarded ideology on us.

So on the part that it's a bad thing, yes. It's a horrible thing. If course, I'd rather choose the greatest country in the world over them. China will save us from the menace that is America.

Isn't China currently exterminating Muslims?

Huh, weird, didn't think you'd support country killing off your own religious group. But it seems I stand corrected.
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:19 am

All that kidnapping and torturing people, the US has been more like the World Secret Police.
Last edited by An Alan Smithee Nation on Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is intertwinkled

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:23 am

I can't see that happening. There's half a billion who fit that description, who don't already live there.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:29 am

Nakena wrote:

Seems I was more on spot than I thought:

Everyone who doesn't want to live in China's sphere, won't go there. So they won't get arrested for speaking up in support of HK.

In other words, China poses no threat just by that law, to "every freedom loving human being on this entire planet".

You do talk a lot of nonsense sometimes.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:27 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Everyone who doesn't want to live in China's sphere, won't go there. So they won't get arrested for speaking up in support of HK.

In other words, China poses no threat just by that law, to "every freedom loving human being on this entire planet".

You do talk a lot of nonsense sometimes.

Maybe not now, but when China becomes the new superpower and expands its imperalist gains, we'll revisit this law.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General