NATION

PASSWORD

Northumbrian/Northern nationalism: NOW A REALITY?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:13 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Heloin wrote:In a previous thread I believe he stated that they’d make Norway subsidise them.

He also plans to annex a ton of territorial waters in the North sea that belong to other nations and take the oil there.

A truly flawless plan, I can see no possible flaws in it.

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Founded: Apr 27, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:13 pm

Nilokeras wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote: more than ten thousand followers on Twitter,

So less than 5% of the followers amassed by 'Gators Daily', a niche meme account that celebrates crocodilians and popularized Flat Fuck Friday. Truly, it's breaking in to the mainstream.

That account has been running for over a year and has worldwide appeal compared to Northumbrian independence.
Republic of Northumbria
Bede kinnie — Catgirl appreciator

"The amazing thing is that Tony Blair being shot in the head after running a barricade for inexplicable reasons is one of the most plausible episodes in this RP,
which comes across as House of Cards by the writers of Mr. Bean."

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:14 pm

Nationalist Northumbria wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:"Right now" its never gona happen. Scotland nor the UK is ever going to give an independent Northumbria its capital city and a bunch of land because some Northern English people say so

Also UKIP doesnt exist any more mate in any way that matters. And as for the EU referendum thats not really comparable when the answers are "Yes/No" as opposed to "Conservative/Labour/Liberal Democrats/Greens/Insert local party here"

Also if you are looking at Brexit and going "Yeah we should do that!" then Sigmar have Mercy on you.

As I said, this movement is about the independence of the Northumbrian areas currently in England.

No, I'm using Brexit as an example of a party that, while it didn't win under FPTP, forced its policies to get a referendum which then passed. There was also a time in the 1970s when Scottish independence was seen as possible when the SNP made a breakthrough even despite FPTP (and given the current circumstances such a breakthrough could easily be repeated here with Northumbrian nationalism and the Northern Independence Party).
Difference is there is a far far larger bastion of support for Scottish Independence (as it is across the entirety of Scotland) than there is for Northumbrian Independence.

Everyone of these threads you make you keep making these big sweeping comments about how all these regions are going to secede when there is no basis/support for it whatsoever in those places.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Ideal Britain
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:14 pm

Heloin wrote:In a previous thread I believe he stated that they’d make Norway subsidise them.

He also plans to annex a ton of territorial waters in the North sea that belong to other nations and take the oil there.

So like George Bush?
An MT alt-history Britain.
Year: 2021

British mixed-race (white and South Asian) Muslim Pashtun, advocate of Islamic unity.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:14 pm

Celritannia wrote:Didn't the Mods ban you from ever establishing a new thread for this stupid concept of the North-East of England gaining independence?

No, they didn't.

Yes they did:

Reploid Productions wrote:Munk, do not repost.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Ideal Britain
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:15 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
No, they didn't.

Yes they did:

True but this is new circumstances: Northumbrian Independence has been covered in the mainstream press. It's a documented phenomenon now. (albeit a niche one).

British mixed-race (white and South Asian) Muslim Pashtun, advocate of Islamic unity.

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:15 pm

Heloin wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:It's up to the people of the historically Northumbrian areas in southern Scotland to decide.

Cornwall will become a Soviet People’s Republic before that happens.

Cool. As I said, it's up to them.

Celritannia wrote:Northumbrian nationalism does not exist outside of Northumberland.

Except it does. The founder of the party, for instance, is from County Durham.

You're talking about stuff from over a year ago. Can we please talk about the current proposals for Northumbrian independence? You can see many of the details in the links provided in the OP.
Republic of Northumbria

"The amazing thing is that Tony Blair being shot in the head after running a barricade for inexplicable reasons is one of the most plausible episodes in this RP,

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:15 pm

Ideal Britain wrote:
Celritannia wrote:Northumbrian nationalism does not exist outside of Northumberland.

Does German nationalism exist outside Germany? French nationalism outside France?

This has nothing to do with the argument.
Yorkshire does not see itself as Northumbrian. It hasn't for 1,500 years. Neither does the North-West.
So the argument is stupid.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:16 pm

Its not happening mate, your best bet is to push for devolution again. But less than 30% of people voted in favour of that in back in 2004 so you have some work ahead of you.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:17 pm

Heloin wrote:Cornwall will become a Soviet People’s Republic before that happens.

Cool. As I said, it's up to them.

Except it does. The founder of the party, for instance, is from County Durham.

County Durham is on the North-West, so that makes some sense.
But that's just one person.
Yorkshire has a vast cultural identity that is not part of this ancient kingdom you keep spouting.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:17 pm

No, they didn't.

Yes they did:

First of all, couldn't remember. Second of all, I think circumstances have changed significantly. As Ideal Britain says, we've even got press coverage! Now, I don't know where you're from in the UK, but you should support Northumbrian independence.

"The Northern Independence Party welcomes all progressive Engish who wish to dedicate themselves to building a free, autonomous and egalitarian Northern Republic.

Stop dreaming of New Zealand and come to Middlesbrough. A New Jerusalem begins North of the Humber!

Join us"
Republic of Northumbria

Ideal Britain
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:18 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Ideal Britain wrote:Does German nationalism exist outside Germany? French nationalism outside France?

Yorkshire does not see itself as Northumbrian. It hasn't for 1,500 years. Neither does the North-West.

I disagree with Northumbrian nationalism for the Yorkshire reason. Britain might be an unrepresentative majority for the North but the North doesn't represent Yorkshire, might not represent the Muslims of the North etc.

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:19 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Its not happening mate, your best bet is to push for devolution again. But less than 30% of people voted in favour of that in back in 2004 so you have some work ahead of you.

This is about the whole North, not just the North East. And that loss was because the proposed devolution deal didn't have enough power and was seen as a white elephant. This is independence we're talking about. Do you really think the same circumstances would apply?
Republic of Northumbria

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:19 pm

Celritannia wrote:

When you have actually statistics than all of the North wants to be independent, come back to me.
Because Yorkshire will not want to be part of a neo-Northumbria. Neither does the North-West.

Keir Starmer is wanting to federalise the UK, which I agree with.
And he is not appealing to the South, he is holding the Tories to account, which is his primary job for now. HE does not need to go into policies until near the election.

We'll be able to gauge public opinion with the 2021 local elections - or, as I said in the OP, maybe we'll get an opinion poll. A lot of supporters of Northumbrian independence, in fact most of them, come from Yorkshire or the North West. And I'm sorry but he is but that's really a discussion for the UK politics thread.

Please provide actual evidence to statics. Because you have only really posted blog pieces.

And Nothumbrian independence isn't a UK discussion topic?

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:19 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Ideal Britain wrote:Does German nationalism exist outside Germany? French nationalism outside France?

This Northumbrian identity is a Northern identity. People in Yorkshire and the North West do see themselves as Northern.
Republic of Northumbria

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:20 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Its not happening mate, your best bet is to push for devolution again. But less than 30% of people voted in favour of that in back in 2004 so you have some work ahead of you.

This is about the whole North, not just the North East. And that loss was because the proposed devolution deal didn't have enough power and was seen as a white elephant. This is independence we're talking about. Do you really think the same circumstances would apply?

And the whole north doesnt want it

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:20 pm

Ideal Britain wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

I disagree with Northumbrian nationalism for the Yorkshire reason. Britain might be an unrepresentative majority for the North but the North doesn't represent Yorkshire, might not represent the Muslims of the North etc.

And people who want Northumbrian independence do not represent the largest Region of England.
Unless you have actual evidence, this is a pathetic and stupid claim.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:20 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Yes they did:

First of all, couldn't remember.

I'm sure it'll get dealt with.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:20 pm

Celritannia wrote:

This Northumbrian identity is a Northern identity. People in Yorkshire and the North West do see themselves as Northern.

Seeing themselves as Northern does not equal seeing themselves as Northumbrian.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:20 pm

No. Independence is even less likely.

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:21 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:We'll be able to gauge public opinion with the 2021 local elections - or, as I said in the OP, maybe we'll get an opinion poll. A lot of supporters of Northumbrian independence, in fact most of them, come from Yorkshire or the North West. And I'm sorry but he is but that's really a discussion for the UK politics thread.

Please provide actual evidence to statics. Because you have only really posted blog pieces.

As I've said, we don't have any yet. The Northern Independence Party will be running in the 2021 local elections and we'll be able to get a basic idea then.

I think that given how much of an issue it has turned out to be it deserves a thread of its own.
Republic of Northumbria

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:21 pm

Celritannia wrote:

Northern, yes.
But that's different than saying "all the north should be in a neo-Northumbrian independent country", which is not accurate.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:22 pm

Nationalist Northumbria wrote:This is about the whole North, not just the North East. And that loss was because the proposed devolution deal didn't have enough power and was seen as a white elephant. This is independence we're talking about. Do you really think the same circumstances would apply?

And the whole north doesnt want it

According to..?

Celritannia wrote:
Ideal Britain wrote:I disagree with Northumbrian nationalism for the Yorkshire reason. Britain might be an unrepresentative majority for the North but the North doesn't represent Yorkshire, might not represent the Muslims of the North etc.

And people who want Northumbrian independence do not represent the largest Region of England.
Unless you have actual evidence, this is a pathetic and stupid claim.

I think that the broad support we've seen from all sections of Twitter is a representative sample of the population.

Nationalist Northumbria wrote:First of all, couldn't remember.

I'm sure it'll get dealt with.

There's no need to be like this.

Nationalist Northumbria wrote:This Northumbrian identity is a Northern identity. People in Yorkshire and the North West do see themselves as Northern.

Seeing themselves as Northern does not equal seeing themselves as Northumbrian.

We're using the two as synonyms. It's the Northern Independence Party after all.
Republic of Northumbria

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:23 pm

Celritannia wrote:

As I've said, we don't have any yet. The Northern Independence Party will be running in the 2021 local elections and we'll be able to get a basic idea then.

I think that given how much of an issue it has turned out to be it deserves a thread of its own.

IF there is no evidence why do you continue to post this nonsense?

The Yorkshire Party has been running since 2014. It has slightly more legitimacy than the NIP.
I highly doubt NIP will be seen as anything more than a nuisance party in Yorkshire.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:23 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:And the whole north doesnt want it

According to..?
The colossal lack of evidence that suggest they do. Polling, media following, common sense, the people that actually live there etc

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Seeing themselves as Northern does not equal seeing themselves as Northumbrian.

We're using the two as synonyms. It's the Northern Independence Party after all.

No YOU are using them as Synonyms, that doesnt make them the same thing.

FFS this is dumb.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General