NATION

PASSWORD

Northumbrian/Northern nationalism: NOW A REALITY?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Founded: Apr 27, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Northumbrian/Northern nationalism: NOW A REALITY?

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:53 am

Northumbrian nationalism has previously been mocked on NSG as having no supporters, as lacking support. But now, with the Northern Independence Party having launched just a month ago and now having more than ten thousand followers on Twitter, as well as having a thousand people registered to help out with the party, it seems as though they have been proven wrong. While you can argue that Twitter is not a representative sample of the population, we have been seeing mass support for Northumbrian independence on "football Twitter" and that's as representative of the Northern youth population as you can get.

There is now broad support for Northumbrian independence, from rightists dissatisfied with Westminster to leftists dissatisfied with Westminster. And "dissatisfied with Westminster" covers a lot of the people here right now, especially as UK PM Boris Johnson has just announced that the North will be stuck under the harshest coronavirus restrictions while worse afflicted areas in the South get off with much less.

The Northern Independence Party has already announced that they plan to stand candidates in the 2021 local elections. This will be a test of Northumbrian nationalism's popular support. But perhaps even before then we will get the opinion poll on independence so many demanded in the past?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQtWblsX7Cc - on radio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVKRl3pIpes - on ITV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CjEMC-TMr0 - a quick overview

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow - Twitter
https://www.redpepper.org.uk/the-case-f ... ependence/
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... ependence/
https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/pol ... ed-3019241
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13603 ... litics-ont
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 81784.html
https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/read ... ea-3019280
https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7aadq/ ... devolution

Northumbria has a rich history. This ancient kingdom is in the process of being reborn. What are your thoughts, NSG? Personally, I completely support Northumbrian independence and I am proud of the Northumbrian people.
Last edited by Nationalist Northumbria on Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Republic of Northumbria
Bede kinnie — Catgirl appreciator

"The amazing thing is that Tony Blair being shot in the head after running a barricade for inexplicable reasons is one of the most plausible episodes in this RP,
which comes across as House of Cards by the writers of Mr. Bean."

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:55 am

4th times a charm.

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:56 am

Heloin wrote:4th times a charm.

Are you just going to ignore the mass explosion in popular support for this?
Republic of Northumbria

"The amazing thing is that Tony Blair being shot in the head after running a barricade for inexplicable reasons is one of the most plausible episodes in this RP,

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:58 am

Doubt it will get many votes and FPTP guarantees they will make no progress what so ever. Also lol at the idea Northumbria will just take parts of Scotland including its capital, not a chance.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:00 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Doubt it will get many votes and FPTP guarantees they will make no progress what so ever. Also lol at the idea Northumbria will just take parts of Scotland including its capital, not a chance.

See UKIP and the EU referendum.

Nobody's advocating for that right now. We're focused on the independence of the parts currently in England.
Last edited by Nationalist Northumbria on Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Republic of Northumbria

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 pm

Nationalist Northumbria wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Doubt it will get many votes and FPTP guarantees they will make no progress what so ever. Also lol at the idea Northumbria will just take parts of Scotland including its capital, not a chance.

Nobody's advocating for that right now. We're focused on the independence of the parts currently in England.

“Right now.” It reassuring that in a push for greater regional autonomy, you already have plans for invading Scotland.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 pm

Didn't the Mods ban you from ever establishing a new thread for this stupid concept of the North-East of England gaining independence?

Shouldn't this really go in the UK politics thread (as much as I don't want it to be discussed more than it has been in there).

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 pm

way neyd er un cuntray. Am I saying that right?
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:03 pm

Who's the "we"?

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:05 pm

Heloin wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:Nobody's advocating for that right now. We're focused on the independence of the parts currently in England.

“Right now.” It reassuring that in a push for greater regional autonomy, you already have plans for invading Scotland.

It's up to the people of the historically Northumbrian areas in southern Scotland to decide.

Celritannia wrote:Didn't the Mods ban you from ever establishing a new thread for this stupid concept of the North-East of England gaining independence?

Shouldn't this really go in the UK politics thread (as much as I don't want it to be discussed more than it has been in there).

No, they didn't. And while I know we've had our differences in the past, I just want to remind you that you are a Northumbrian too (this is all of the North, not just the North East, and it's been all of the North from the start) and you are welcome to join us. Labour is no longer a viable party and under Starmer is focused on appealing to the South.
Last edited by Nationalist Northumbria on Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Republic of Northumbria

Ideal Britain
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:05 pm

So people don't like restrictions to save the lives of the North's old people so much they create an independence movement? God Save The Queen!
An MT alt-history Britain.
Year: 2021

British mixed-race (white and South Asian) Muslim Pashtun, advocate of Islamic unity.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:07 pm

"Right now" its never gona happen. Scotland nor the UK is ever going to give an independent Northumbria its capital city and a bunch of land because some Northern English people say so

Also UKIP doesnt exist any more mate in any way that matters. And as for the EU referendum thats not really comparable when the answers are "Yes/No" as opposed to "Conservative/Labour/Liberal Democrats/Greens/Insert local party here"

Also if you are looking at Brexit and going "Yeah we should do that!" then Sigmar have Mercy on you.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Ideal Britain
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:07 pm

Heloin wrote:“Right now.” It reassuring that in a push for greater regional autonomy, you already have plans for invading Scotland.

It's up to the people of the historically Northumbrian areas in southern Scotland to decide.

Celritannia wrote:Didn't the Mods ban you from ever establishing a new thread for this stupid concept of the North-East of England gaining independence?

No, they didn't. And while I know we've had our differences in the past, I just want to remind you that you are a Northumbrian too (this is all of the North, not just the North East, and it's been all of the North from the start) and you are welcome to join us. Labour is no longer a viable party and under Starmer is focused on appealing to the South.

How is it no longer viable? Under Corbyn it was criticised as anti-military and unpatriotic. It is not these things under Sir Keir Starmer. Also whilst the "He hates the Army" stuff lost it working-class votes (and officer class ones), his economic policy lost him middle-class votes. How is Starmer "no longer viable" to the working and middle-classes?

British mixed-race (white and South Asian) Muslim Pashtun, advocate of Islamic unity.

Nilokeras
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nilokeras » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:08 pm

Nationalist Northumbria wrote: more than ten thousand followers on Twitter,

So less than 5% of the followers amassed by 'Gators Daily', a niche meme account that celebrates crocodilians and popularized Flat Fuck Friday. Truly, it's breaking in to the mainstream.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:08 pm

Heloin wrote:“Right now.” It reassuring that in a push for greater regional autonomy, you already have plans for invading Scotland.

Cornwall will become a Soviet People’s Republic before that happens.

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:08 pm

Ideal Britain wrote:So people don't like restrictions to save the lives of the North's old people so much they create an independence movement? God Save The Queen!

What an insulting attack.

No, it's about what Westminster has done. Look at what happened with Manchester and Andy Burnham. Not enough support when support was needed, then when we complained about that they cut the support even further. And that's continuing. And happening all over the North. If Northumbria was independent we would be able to protect all our people, including the elderly.
Republic of Northumbria

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:09 pm

When you have actually statistics than all of the North wants to be independent, come back to me.
Because Yorkshire will not want to be part of a neo-Northumbria. Neither does the North-West.

Keir Starmer is wanting to federalise the UK, which I agree with.
And he is not appealing to the South, he is holding the Tories to account, which is his primary job for now. HE does not need to go into policies until near the election.

No, I am not a Northumbrian, I am a Yorkshireman. A 1,500 year old map does not make me identify as a Northumbrian.
Last edited by Celritannia on Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Mannixa Prime
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mannixa Prime » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:09 pm

Well since I support the UK breaking up I wish the best of luck to you!
Progressive, cosmopolitan, gay, a firm believer in science and extremely against neo-liberalism. African-American with Somalian background.

Ideal Britain
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:09 pm

Ideal Britain wrote:So people don't like restrictions to save the lives of the North's old people so much they create an independence movement? God Save The Queen!

What an insulting attack.

No, it's about what Westminster has done. Look at what happened with Manchester and Andy Burnham. Not enough support when support was needed, then when we complained about that they cut the support even further. And that's continuing. And happening all over the North. If Northumbria was independent we would be able to protect all our people, including the elderly.

Good point. But how would Northumbrian manufacturing compete with cheaper powers in Asia?

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:10 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:See UKIP and the EU referendum.

"Right now" its never gona happen. Scotland nor the UK is ever going to give an independent Northumbria its capital city and a bunch of land because some Northern English people say so

Also UKIP doesnt exist any more mate in any way that matters. And as for the EU referendum thats not really comparable when the answers are "Yes/No" as opposed to "Conservative/Labour/Liberal Democrats/Greens/Insert local party here"

Also if you are looking at Brexit and going "Yeah we should do that!" then Sigmar have Mercy on you.

As I said, this movement is about the independence of the Northumbrian areas currently in England.

No, I'm using Brexit as an example of a party that, while it didn't win under FPTP, forced its policies to get a referendum which then passed. There was also a time in the 1970s when Scottish independence was seen as possible when the SNP made a breakthrough even despite FPTP (and given the current circumstances such a breakthrough could easily be repeated here with Northumbrian nationalism and the Northern Independence Party).
Republic of Northumbria

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:11 pm

Ideal Britain wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:What an insulting attack.

Good point. But how would Northumbrian manufacturing compete with cheaper powers in Asia?

In a previous thread I believe he stated that they’d make Norway subsidise them.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:12 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:"Right now" its never gona happen. Scotland nor the UK is ever going to give an independent Northumbria its capital city and a bunch of land because some Northern English people say so

As I said, this movement is about the independence of the Northumbrian areas currently in England.

No, I'm using Brexit as an example of a party that, while it didn't win under FPTP, forced its policies to get a referendum which then passed. There was also a time in the 1970s when Scottish independence was seen as possible when the SNP made a breakthrough even despite FPTP (and given the current circumstances such a breakthrough could easily be repeated here with Northumbrian nationalism and the Northern Independence Party).

Northumbrian nationalism does not exist outside of Northumberland.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:12 pm

Heloin wrote:
Ideal Britain wrote:Good point. But how would Northumbrian manufacturing compete with cheaper powers in Asia?

In a previous thread I believe he stated that they’d make Norway subsidise them.

He also plans to annex a ton of territorial waters in the North sea that belong to other nations and take the oil there.

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:12 pm

Celritannia wrote:

When you have actually statistics than all of the North wants to be independent, come back to me.
Because Yorkshire will not want to be part of a neo-Northumbria. Neither does the North-West.

Keir Starmer is wanting to federalise the UK, which I agree with.
And he is not appealing to the South, he is holding the Tories to account, which is his primary job for now. HE does not need to go into policies until near the election.

We'll be able to gauge public opinion with the 2021 local elections - or, as I said in the OP, maybe we'll get an opinion poll. A lot of supporters of Northumbrian independence, in fact most of them, come from Yorkshire or the North West. And I'm sorry but he is but that's really a discussion for the UK politics thread.
Republic of Northumbria

Ideal Britain
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:13 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:As I said, this movement is about the independence of the Northumbrian areas currently in England.

Northumbrian nationalism does not exist outside of Northumberland.

Does German nationalism exist outside Germany? French nationalism outside France?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General