NATION

PASSWORD

Indiana AG: LGBT Parents should be stripped of Rights

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Reko Guire
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Reko Guire » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:55 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Nousa wrote:
I have; you can quite literally take what Indiana said and copy paste it for my thoughts. Again, not sure why this is complicated for you.

You unironically think kids will become fucked up from having two dads?

The homosexuality could rub off on them.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:07 pm

Nousa wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

The least you can do is speak your own words, instead of letting someone else speak and think for you.

I'm not under any obligation to do otherwise, either; we do have a thing called concurrence, in both lay usage and in legal arguments, afterall.

And in neither case does it justify you not explaining things in your own terms.

Reko Guire wrote:

That's not how it works. Its not fucking corona.

Nousa wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me. Fun Fact relevant to this case: Lesbian couples have the highest domestic abuse ratings of any couple pairing in the United States.

Real "13/50" hours in this thread right now.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:12 pm

Reko Guire wrote:

I mean, clearly the the heterosexuality of the grandparents didn't "rub off" of the parents, so why on earth would you believe this?
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:18 pm

Nousa wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me. Fun Fact relevant to this case: Lesbian couples have the highest domestic abuse ratings of any couple pairing in the United States.

Hmm... I wonder if the author of that study also included findings as to why this occurs...?

Richard Carroll - Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago wrote:"We found evidence that supports the minority stress model - the idea that being part of a minority creates additional stress," he says.

"There are external stressors, like discrimination and violence against gays, and there are internal stressors, such as internalised negative attitudes about homosexuality."

The external stresses on a same-sex relationship include what Carroll describes as the "double closet phenomenon" when victims are reluctant to report abuse because they do not want to be outed to the authorities.

But it is the internal stress, says Carroll, which can be particularly damaging.

"Sometimes homosexual individuals project their negative beliefs and feelings about themselves on to their partner," he says.

"Conversely, we believe that victims of domestic violence in same-sex couples believe, at some level, they deserve the violence because of internalised negative beliefs about themselves."
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:21 pm

Nousa wrote:
Grenartia wrote:And in neither case does it justify you not explaining things in your own terms.

I've already stated you can quite literally copy and paste what Indiana said and take it as my exact views; not sure why this is complicated for you. Sounds like a personal problem, to be honest.

I have no problem understanding it. The issue is why you let someone else do your talking and thinking. The minute you give up those abilities, you effectively become a slave.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:38 pm

Alright, Nousa, why don't you explain why a sperm donor should have "parental rights?"

Why don't you explain why this
“A birth mother’s wife will never be the biological father of the child, meaning that, whenever a birth-mother’s wife gains presumptive ‘parentage’ status, a biological father’s rights and obligations to the child have necessarily been undermined without proper adjudication,”

is not obvious drivel that fails to take into account transgender people?
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:48 pm

Nousa wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Alright, Nousa, why don't you explain why a sperm donor should have "parental rights?"

Why don't you explain why this

is not obvious drivel that fails to take into account transgender people?

"Without proper adjudication" covers it pretty well.

Not really. It's empty legalese that means nothing.
I don't really understand what you're even asking about transsexuals, however.

A trans woman and a cis woman can have a biological child together. A trans man and a cis man can have a biological child together. This is an obvious point that negates Hill's premise that "a birth mother's wife will never be the biological father."

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:50 pm

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:It’s interesting that people think there is such a thing as “parental rights”. Maybe we should also argue that there is such a thing as the rights of a master to beat and even kill a slave.. Why not call a spade a spade. Power is power, not “rights”.

How are you more left wing than I, eh?

How are you doing? :3
Welcome to the Nekostan-e Gharbi. Our ancestors were a group of genetically enhanced Israeli cats raised by two Iranian Jewish women, Rachel Davidi and Esther Moshel. We are a constitutional monarchy where a line of benevolent and powerless feline queens “guide” the citizens or more precisely are the subject of their constant gossiping.

Current Queen: Sarah IV (House of Moshel)
Current Prime Minister: Dr. Elisheva Cohen (she is fine with Elizabeth for non-Hebrew speakers) from Likud
Cats rule; dogs drool; Israel rocks; China sucks.
Abolish China and save lives.
What is Sinostatism?
Must read on China by David Goldman https://www.tabletmag.com/amp/sections/ ... ina-empire

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:52 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
I think we disagree on terminology here. I don’t think there can be rights over other humans while you think they can exist.

Thanks for confirming the widespread but uncomfortable belief that socially children aren’t fully people which has been true from ancient history to the present day.

Children are not fully developed enough to have the same rights as adults. This should be obvious to anyone who isn't a child.

>anyone who isn’t a child

Thanks for letting me know that “child” is an insult. Before feminism in many Eurasian societies feminity was also an insult..

I think the implications are fairly clear.

>not fully developed enough to have the same rights as adults

What’s this? Might is right?
Last edited by Nekostan-e Gharbi on Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the Nekostan-e Gharbi. Our ancestors were a group of genetically enhanced Israeli cats raised by two Iranian Jewish women, Rachel Davidi and Esther Moshel. We are a constitutional monarchy where a line of benevolent and powerless feline queens “guide” the citizens or more precisely are the subject of their constant gossiping.

Current Prime Minister: Dr. Elisheva Cohen (she is fine with Elizabeth for non-Hebrew speakers) from Likud
What is Sinostatism?
Must read on China by David Goldman https://www.tabletmag.com/amp/sections/ ... ina-empire

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:10 am

Nousa wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Not really. It's empty legalese that means nothing.

That you do not understand it does not make it meaningless jargon, because its well established in case law and precedent with real meaning here. With regards to your example of a sperm donor, as part of the sperm donor process said donor(s) are required to waive their legal rights and in return are absolved of obligations before the actual donation occurs; i.e. proper adjudication.

k so what's the problem lol
A trans woman and a cis woman can have a biological child together. A trans man and a cis man can have a biological child together. This is an obvious point that negates Hill's premise that "a birth mother's wife will never be the biological father."

Namely because trans is a social construct and does not change the underlying biological realities of the sexes? Yes, a Transsexual can have children with a Heterosexual...

You mean a transgender person can have children with a cisgender person. The examples I'm giving are very much in the range of "not hetero."
because of their biological realities, which is in line with what Hill says.

Hill explicitly says "a birth mother's wife," which has nothing to do with "biological realities."
Yes, they may identify as something else, but that doesn't change their chromosomes, no?

Implicit transphobia aside, the chromosomes don't matter in the slightest, because that could change what they're registered as by the government.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:37 am

Nousa wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:k so what's the problem lol

You're the one that brought up the Sperm Donor example, so that's rather on you, no?

You do realize that the case that started this was because of a couple that used artificial insemination right? I'm not the one who first brought it up. It's what the whole thing is about.
If you mean in terms of the legal case presented by Indiana, it's quite obvious; proper adjudication would not be rendered in many cases that would be effected by the lower court's precedent. In particular, adoptions or children from prior relationships.

You would think they'd mention those are the cases they're talking about if that was what they're actually thinking about. Has such an alteration of the birth cert in those circumstances even been attempted? Been asked for by anyone? Hell, mechanically how would this court decision affect the people you claim it would? At all?
You mean a transgender person can have children with a cisgender person. The examples I'm giving are very much in the range of "not hetero."

I understand you wish to play semantics with your socially constructed terms, but it's not really relevant to your point.

All terms are "socially constructed." That what language is.
I'm not "playing semantics," I'm correcting you. Heterosexuality has nothing to do with my example.
Hill explicitly says "a birth mother's wife," which has nothing to do with "biological realities."

You need to go re-read the brief and article in question because you don't even understand what Indiana's talking about in their case and this shows it. Hill does specifically speak of biological fathers, which is rather relevant in a case involving a Lesbian couple no? You've chosen to engage in a cherry pick of a single term from the brief instead of looking at what the whole brief is even about.

Implicit transphobia aside, the chromosomes don't matter in the slightest, because that could change what they're registered as by the government.

Given Hill (and thus Indiana) are talking about biological fathers, chromosomes very much matter given, yah know, basic biology and the overall legal thrust being made here? Again, you seem pretty ununiformed on this and operating on a knee jerk basis; might I suggest taking a step back and objectively re-reading the case and the reporting on it before continuing this?

Yeesh, and you're trying to talk down to me about "playing semantics?" Once again, it's perfectly possibly for a birth mother's wife to be a biological father if said wife is transgender. This basic fact undermines Hill's claim that a "birth mother's wife will never be the biological father."
(also lol @ how you're telling me to read up on the case again when you're trying to tell me *i* brought sperm donation into this come onnnnnn)

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:43 am

Reko Guire wrote:

1: I doubt that’s how it works

2: So what if it is? It’s not like they can out breed the straights.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:35 am

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Children are not fully developed enough to have the same rights as adults. This should be obvious to anyone who isn't a child.

Thanks for letting me know that “child” is an insult. Before feminism in many Eurasian societies feminity was also an insult..

Blatantly bad arguments blatantly made in bad faith. You're clearly another EdgyPosterTM.

The simple fact is that children are not capable of the kind of thinking necessary to safely and responsibly exercise the rights adults have. And honestly, I'm worried you're one of those "children can give consent to sex" types based on your arguments so far.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:38 am

Reko Guire wrote:

Nonsense.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:42 am

Grenartia wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

Blatantly bad arguments blatantly made in bad faith. You're clearly another EdgyPosterTM.

The simple fact is that children are not capable of the kind of thinking necessary to safely and responsibly exercise the rights adults have. And honestly, I'm worried you're one of those "children can give consent to sex" types based on your arguments so far.

I’m not one of the pedophilia advocates.

Instead I’m just someone who is really tired of parentism which smells like China.

What is Sinostatism?

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:44 am

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Instead I’m just someone who is really tired of parentism which smells like China.

Ok, cool, so you admit there is a case where children clearly cannot be treated the same as adults.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:59 am

Grenartia wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

Ok, cool, so you admit there is a case where children clearly cannot be treated the same as adults.

I agree. Children can not reasonably consent to self-harm.

What is Sinostatism?

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:10 am

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Not just self-harm. Sexual activity as well.

Furthermore, children simply are not capable of the kinds of decision making necessary to function on the same level as adults. This isn't even an opinion, this is basic fucking fact. Psychology 101. Acting like this is not true is not just factually wrong and intellectually dishonest, it is downright harmful to the very children you seek to help.

You're sick and tired of authoritarian parenting? So am I. But the alternative isn't no parenting whatsoever, so stop ripping off Rothbard's Ethics of Liberty.
Last edited by Grenartia on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nekostan-e Gharbi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nekostan-e Gharbi » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:32 am

Grenartia wrote:
Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:

Furthermore, children simply are not capable of the kinds of decision making necessary to function on the same level as adults. This isn't even an opinion, this is basic fucking fact. Psychology 101. Acting like this is not true is not just factually wrong and intellectually dishonest, it is downright harmful to the very children you seek to help.

You're sick and tired of authoritarian parenting? So am I. But the alternative isn't no parenting whatsoever, so stop ripping off Rothbard's Ethics of Liberty.

Well, Libertarianism and children are incompatible.

What is Sinostatism?

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:39 am

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Thus the existence of parental rights.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:09 am

Reko Guire wrote:

That is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:02 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Reko Guire wrote:The homosexuality could rub off on them.

Nonsense.

I think it was a joke.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:04 am

Atheris wrote:
Reko Guire wrote:The homosexuality could rub off on them.
The New California Republic wrote:Nonsense.

I think it was a joke.

No, in light of this comment it wasn't:

Reko Guire wrote:I don’t care what kind of sex people have but the idea that gay couples and married couples should be treated equally is insane.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:05 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Atheris wrote:I think it was a joke.

No, in light of this comment it wasn't:

Reko Guire wrote:I don’t care what kind of sex people have but the idea that gay couples and married couples should be treated equally is insane.

Oh, darn. I stand corrected, then.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:52 am

Nekostan-e Gharbi wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Given that children are an essential and eternal reality of human life, this should perhaps tell you something about the feasibility of your version of libertarianism
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General