NATION

PASSWORD

Staff at Jordan Peterson's publisher protest new book plans

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cultural Posadism
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cultural Posadism » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:08 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Cultural Posadism wrote:Some of his lessons are genuinely good on their own. The issue there is that those particular lessons aren't really original creations of his, nor do they show any particularly unique insight on his part. They're self-help platitudes, clichés and common sense (in the Gramscian sense of the term). Good platitudes and clichés and common sense, but to paraphrase the Chapo guys: if lots of young men need to read that stuff on some bizarre Canadian professor's self-help book to know it, it kinda makes it feel like kids aren't being parented anymore.

Also, yes, cat.

cat.

Always pet cats you encounter on the street. Cats are good and when they boop your hands with their widdle noses you get the good brain juices.

Aye, but that's the point isn't it. His incredibly basic platitudes helping millions of men reveals just how profoundly society has failed them and indoctrinated them into a way of thinking that is fundamentally against their own interests, neglected them and so on.

True, although I imagine we're not gonna fully agree on the specifics of this.

It's probably part of the reason he's so hated, he's causing certain types of folk to become dangerously close to the self-awareness they so ardently avoid when they have to argue he's said nothing of worth and someone replies "He told me it's okay to look after myself the same way I would someone else. He's a revolutionary.".

The thing is, if he was really encouraging critical thinking and self-awareness that much, he would not have been embraced by conservative and reactionary media. The fact that most of the criticism he receives comes from the left, and that much of that criticism is directed at his traditionalism on both social and economic issues, should probably tell you how conducive his work has been to anything even remotely revolutionary. Whatever you might think about his anti-feminism specifically, his political views outside of that also skew very reactionary and encourage his followers to accept and obey the most deeply rooted elements of the social, cultural, economic and political status quo. IIRC, his retort to post-modernist critiques of psychotherapy as a tool of social control was to treat that as a positive thing, that controlling non-conformists is good.
be gay do crime

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:07 pm

It's worth mentioning "cultural Marxism" is recycled Nazi propaganda.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

The Slayers Republic
Envoy

Founded: Oct 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Slayers Republic » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:20 pm

Esheaun Stroakuss wrote:
The Slayers Republic wrote:Oh no.....

Oh yeah. I have read excerpts, and those were more than enough.

That explains the grammar errors, terrible writing tropes,and wannabe edgelord cringe.
СМЕРТЬ
ТЕМ, КТО СТОЯТ НА ПУТИ СВОБОДЫ
БОГ С НАМИ В НАШЕЙ БОРЬБЕ ЗА СВОБОДУ
“Either Jake is becoming more irrelevant or abortion rates are going up.”- Diesel Patches
Random nobody with bad takes.
High rate of sanity lost per day, along with the terrible RP posts every 1-2 weeks.
fuckin v i b e
Death to NSG.
A nation based in the DOOM universe that was founded off of small communities of survivors during the Invasion of Earth, founded by none other than the fucking Doom Slayer himself.

braindead libertarian gloomer with an itch for C O N Q U E S T

Artsakh is Armenian, HHDI.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:54 pm

The Slayers Republic wrote:
Esheaun Stroakuss wrote:
Oh yeah. I have read excerpts, and those were more than enough.

That explains the grammar errors, terrible writing tropes,and wannabe edgelord cringe.

It's best not to mention Onion on the internet. He wants people to talk about what a cringy and horrible person he is, he makes his money from that infamy
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Previous

Return to General