NATION

PASSWORD

Is Hexing/Cursing Minors Ever Okay?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bluepillar
Envoy

Founded: Nov 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluepillar » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:24 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Bluepillar wrote:
Oh, I did. And this isn't a debate. You have an opinion, I have one. I don't care about yours. I thought I made that clear.

If you don't want to debate here, then why did you bother making a thread in NSGeneral, hm?

Well, we're not debating me or the existence of my religion. We were debating whether or not hexing/cursing minors was ever okay, and got off track.

And it's not that I don't want to debate. It's just that I don't care to debate you about the particular subject you brought up. Why would I ever do that?
Last edited by Bluepillar on Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
they/them, please.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:26 pm

Bluepillar wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:If you don't want to debate here, then why did you bother making a thread in NSGeneral, hm?

Well, we're not debating me or the existence of my religion. We were debating whether or not hexing/cursing minors was ever okay, and got off track.

Pointing out where you have contradicted yourself isn't really a derail, but alright.

Bluepillar wrote:And it's not that I don't want to debate. It's just that I don't care to debate you about the particular subject you brought up.

The hypocrisy? Alright. If you don't want to acknowledge it then that's your prerogative I suppose.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:27 pm

Bluepillar wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
I didn't follow all 12 pages of this thread, but I'm pretty sure the other posters were pointing out the hypocracy rather than having any special love for Catholicism or Scientology.

Then why even start a thread in the first place? A debater who doesn't want to hear conflicting opinions is like a boxer who won't get into the ring.

Because we're supposed to be debating something completely different, but I was all for answering a wide variety of questions and engaging in various topics as long as people were respectful. The question is "is hexing/cursing minors ever okay?"

Not "am I a pompous bitch?" I already have friends who will tell me the truth about that.

And not "hey, let me try to force you to prove your religion is real in front of everyone after insulting you because for some reason I think that's a good idea", and certainly not my rendition of "why all of that was a bad idea".

I didn't report the thread for derailing for a reason. Most of this is kinda fun. I don't always get to have these kinds of discussions with people :D I just am happy to have somewhere to do it.

If I start a thread saying 'is rainbow hippo racing a good sport' then I fully expect people to question its relevance rather than stick to discussing if it is a better sport than F1. If you want to disuade athiests then I'd suggest having a wichcraft/occult thread as you mentiond earlier, since it's impolite and possibly trolling for athiests to enter the Chrsitian thread with nothing other than "God doesn't exist lol"; whereas this thread is pretty much just saying 'is it ok to hurt children? discuss.' Naturally some people may question the means in which the children are being harmed as well as the imorality of harming children.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Bluepillar
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluepillar » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:31 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Bluepillar wrote:
Because we're supposed to be debating something completely different, but I was all for answering a wide variety of questions and engaging in various topics as long as people were respectful. The question is "is hexing/cursing minors ever okay?"

Not "am I a pompous bitch?" I already have friends who will tell me the truth about that.

And not "hey, let me try to force you to prove your religion is real in front of everyone after insulting you because for some reason I think that's a good idea", and certainly not my rendition of "why all of that was a bad idea".

I didn't report the thread for derailing for a reason. Most of this is kinda fun. I don't always get to have these kinds of discussions with people :D I just am happy to have somewhere to do it.

If I start a thread saying 'is rainbow hippo racing a good sport' then I fully expect people to question its relevance rather than stick to discussing if it is a better sport than F1. If you want to disuade athiests then I'd suggest having a wichcraft/occult thread as you mentiond earlier, since it's impolite and possibly trolling for athiests to enter the Chrsitian thread with nothing other than "God doesn't exist lol"; wheras this thread is pretty much just saying 'is it ok to hurt children? discuss.' Naturally some people may question the means in which the children are being harmed as well as the imorality of harming children.

Honestly, it was a mix of a subtle dig at people who had cursed/hexed/wished ill will upon children, and trying to spark the realization that adolescents - teenagers - especially in America are far from innocent and commit a wide variety of sexual and violent crimes. Is it okay to hex/curse/wish ill will upon them?

That's a question I'd like to discuss.

Bluepillar wrote:

Pointing out where you have contradicted yourself isn't really a derail, but alright.

Bluepillar wrote:And it's not that I don't want to debate. It's just that I don't care to debate you about the particular subject you brought up.

The hypocrisy? Alright. If you don't want to acknowledge it then that's your prerogative I suppose.

Well, it isn't okay to say someone's religion does not exist. Christianity does. But some forms of American Catholicism, hence the or but not the or/and, are dangerous. Mormonism might, but some say it was invented by a con man - and it has dangerous, racist scripture. Scientology is historically recognized to be fake, and is also dangerous. I never said it wasn't okay to say someone's faith was dangerous. I'm gay, black, and trans, and live in the Bible belt. Trust me. I know faith can very much be dangerous.
Last edited by Bluepillar on Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
they/them, please.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:32 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Bluepillar wrote:

If I start a thread saying 'is rainbow hippo racing a good sport' then I fully expect people to question its relevance rather than stick to discussing if it is a better sport than F1. If you want to disuade athiests then I'd suggest having a wichcraft/occult thread as you mentiond earlier, since it's impolite and possibly trolling for athiests to enter the Chrsitian thread with nothing other than "God doesn't exist lol"; whereas this thread is pretty much just saying 'is it ok to hurt children? discuss.' Naturally some people may question the means in which the children are being harmed as well as the imorality of harming children.

Now I want rainbow hippo racing.

I guess it happens in a Hippodrome :meh:
The Blaatschapen should resign

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:34 pm

Bluepillar wrote:Well, it isn't okay to say someone's religion does not exist. Christianity does. But some forms of American Catholicism, hence the or but not the or/and, are dangerous. Mormonism might, but some say it was invented by a con man - and it has dangerous, racist scripture. Scientology is fake, and is also dangerous. I never said it wasn't okay to say someone's faith was dangerous. I'm gay, black, and trans, and live in the Bible belt. Trust me. I know faith can very much be dangerous.

Regardless, you still asked for folk not to do one thing and in the next breath did that same thing.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Weird Wolf
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Weird Wolf » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:35 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

If I write reviews about the hippos, would that be hippocritical?

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:36 pm

Odreria wrote:
Bluepillar wrote:And to call me pompous while supporting those kinds of people. Ugh. Gross.

Somebody's enlightened by his intelligence.

Odreria, if a player specifically lays out which pronouns to use to reference them in public spaces like their signature, make sure to keep an eye out for that and use them appropriately.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:37 pm

Weird Wolf wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

You could be a hippo vet instead and take the Hippocratic oath.

Wave on, wave on

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:40 pm

Bluepillar wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
If I start a thread saying 'is rainbow hippo racing a good sport' then I fully expect people to question its relevance rather than stick to discussing if it is a better sport than F1. If you want to disuade athiests then I'd suggest having a wichcraft/occult thread as you mentiond earlier, since it's impolite and possibly trolling for athiests to enter the Chrsitian thread with nothing other than "God doesn't exist lol"; wheras this thread is pretty much just saying 'is it ok to hurt children? discuss.' Naturally some people may question the means in which the children are being harmed as well as the imorality of harming children.

Honestly, it was a mix of a subtle dig at people who had cursed/hexed/wished ill will upon children, and trying to spark the realization that adolescents - teenagers - especially in America are far from innocent and commit a wide variety of sexual and violent crimes. Is it okay to hex/curse/wish ill will upon them?

Okay, though it didn't really come across like that despite the "Minors are obviously capable of unforgiving crimes". It looked like you just tossed the issue of hexes into the mix with no context as to why hexes are being used in the first place.

The Blaatschapen wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

*points* there's a man with ideas! :lol:
You can book these hippodromes while I'm organsing the tobacco sponsorships..
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Bluepillar
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluepillar » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Bluepillar wrote:Well, it isn't okay to say someone's religion does not exist. Christianity does. But some forms of American Catholicism, hence the or but not the or/and, are dangerous. Mormonism might, but some say it was invented by a con man - and it has dangerous, racist scripture. Scientology is fake, and is also dangerous. I never said it wasn't okay to say someone's faith was dangerous. I'm gay, black, and trans, and live in the Bible belt. Trust me. I know faith can very much be dangerous.

Regardless, you still asked for folk not to do one thing and in the next breath did that same thing.

Nothing is ever absolute. If I was a witch advocating for the extermination of Catholics, I'd expect people to call my faith both dangerous and fake. I should add that Catholicism has done exactly that to other groups of people. And Scientology is full of "pray the gay away", which is an unforgiving kind of erasure of the sanctity of one's identity. Unforgivable things allow me to criticize a religion, and call its legitimacy into truth. Why ever would calling out those kinds of things lead a man to be such a... well... I didn't do anything unforgivable, and I won't. But I'm sure you can get my point.
they/them, please.

Bluepillar
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluepillar » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:43 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Bluepillar wrote:

Okay, though it didn't really come across like that despite the "Minors are obviously capable of unforgiving crimes". It looked like you just tossed the issue of hexes into the mix with no context as to why its hexes are being used in the first place.
The Blaatschapen wrote:
-snip-

I wanted to see what would happen.
they/them, please.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:43 pm

Weird Wolf wrote:
Bluepillar wrote:
Yeah, I'm not Wiccan. IDK what impression this post about these religions gave off, but Wiccanism has waaaaaaaaaay too many rules for me (and honestly every time a Wiccan tells me not to do something cause it might have consequences, or brings up one of their many rules and tries to apply it to me, or says something that implies most African or African-derived forms of witchcraft (like rootwork, or some form of voudon) are "black magic" when that is a western concept being applied to a non-western concept, or when a privileged white witch contributes to the overharvesting of something like palo santo [which is used in a CLOSED PRACTICE, and could go extinct because of overharvesting], or when I deal with anything remotely similar it just turns me off to Wiccanism even more). I already have a faith, too. Mine has less rules about what I can do. In fact, so far the only rules it has are the ones I gave myself and also the rules I'm pretty sure that if I broke while I were a character in a parable would result in me being smote... so.

"Privileged White Witch" would have been a good name for my nation. It's too late now!

There are rules, whether you choose to see them or not. Look out for the line, it may be the edge of a cliff.

We can form a trio with "Privileged White Wizard" and "Privileged White Walker."
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:44 pm

Bluepillar wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Regardless, you still asked for folk not to do one thing and in the next breath did that same thing.

Nothing is ever absolute. If I was a witch advocating for the extermination of Catholics, I'd expect people to call my faith both dangerous and fake. I should add that Catholicism has done exactly that to other groups of people. And Scientology is full of "pray the gay away", which is an unforgiving kind of erasure of the sanctity of one's identity. Unforgivable things allow me to criticize a religion, and call its legitimacy into truth. Why ever would calling out those kinds of things lead a man to be such a... well... I didn't do anything unforgivable, and I won't. But I'm sure you can get my point.

No, not really.

Wave on, wave on

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:44 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:There is no such thing as "non-fictional curses/hexes", they are all fictional, as they have no effect whatsoever. They have no substance. no reality whatsoever.

Nonsense. Of course there are actual curses. Just because we lost the knowledge of how to use them doesn't mean they wouldn't work if we re-discovered that knowledge.

That assumes that the knowledge ever actually existed which is something you can't really prove unless you "re-discovered them." And until then, due to the complete lack of evidence backing it up, all this curse talk is just speculation.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Bluepillar
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluepillar » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:44 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Weird Wolf wrote:
"Privileged White Witch" would have been a good name for my nation. It's too late now!

There are rules, whether you choose to see them or not. Look out for the line, it may be the edge of a cliff.

We can form a trio with "Privileged White Wizard" and "Privileged White Walker."

zombies make me cry.

interestingly, wizards aren't really a thing, most of the time. witches no matter their gender identity are just witches, usually. The only person I can think of that calls himself a wizard is Oberon Zell, and that's an entirely different can of worms.
they/them, please.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:45 pm

Bluepillar wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
Okay, though it didn't really come across like that despite the "Minors are obviously capable of unforgiving crimes". It looked like you just tossed the issue of hexes into the mix with no context as to why its hexes are being used in the first place.

I wanted to see what would happen.

You wanted to see a hippothetical...

:blush:
The Blaatschapen should resign

Weird Wolf
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Weird Wolf » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:48 pm

Weird Wolf wrote:

You could be a hippo vet instead and take the Hippocratic oath.

That sounds like the worst job in the world, to be honest. How about I set up a cart and sell hippocras?

Weird Wolf
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Weird Wolf » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Andsed wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:
Nonsense. Of course there are actual curses. Just because we lost the knowledge of how to use them doesn't mean they wouldn't work if we re-discovered that knowledge.

That assumes that the knowledge ever actually existed which is something you can't really prove unless you "re-discovered them." And until then, due to the complete lack of evidence backing it up, all this curse talk is just speculation.

Sounds like the kind of "knowledge" that can only exist in the absence of other knowledge proving it can't happen. Ie, a religion!

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:26 pm

Bluepillar wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:We can form a trio with "Privileged White Wizard" and "Privileged White Walker."

zombies make me cry.

interestingly, wizards aren't really a thing, most of the time. witches no matter their gender identity are just witches, usually. The only person I can think of that calls himself a wizard is Oberon Zell, and that's an entirely different can of worms.

In fact, all of these things are equally not really a thing.

Odreria
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Odreria » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:40 pm

Bluepillar wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:We can form a trio with "Privileged White Wizard" and "Privileged White Walker."

zombies make me cry.

Actually I'm a wizard of the realm and state alchemist.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says
Pro: Christianity, nuclear power, firearms, socialism, environmentalism
Neutral: LGBT, PRC, charter schools, larping
Anti: mind virus, globalism, racism, great reset

Bluepillar
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluepillar » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:45 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Bluepillar wrote:
zombies make me cry.

In fact, all of these things are equally not really a thing.

That's kind of like saying the pope doesn't exist, but thankfully we all know the Pope exists and we all know I'm a witch, and that Christians believe in a god that has eldritch abominations for servants. Isn't religion fascinating when we don't care what you have to say about it? :)
Last edited by Bluepillar on Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
they/them, please.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:50 pm

Bluepillar wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:In fact, all of these things are equally not really a thing.

That's kind of like saying the pope isn't a pope, but thankfully we all know the Pope exists and we all know I'm a witch, and that Christians believe in a god that has eldritch abominations for servants. Isn't religion fascinating when we don't care what you have to say about it? :)

Let me rephrase: your saying that wizards don't really exist, but witches do, is exactly as factually supported as arguing that electric type Pokémon are better than water types. Or that a Chupacabra would beat a Jersey Devil in a fight.

And it's ironic that you go and complain about other people doubting the existence of hexes and witches, and then you immediately do the same about wizards.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:55 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

Nieuw Amsterdam's grandest theater.

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertainmen ... st-theater
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Fyrn-Gestreon
Attaché

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Fyrn-Gestreon » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:58 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Bluepillar wrote:
That's kind of like saying the pope isn't a pope, but thankfully we all know the Pope exists and we all know I'm a witch, and that Christians believe in a god that has eldritch abominations for servants. Isn't religion fascinating when we don't care what you have to say about it? :)

Let me rephrase: your saying that wizards don't really exist, but witches do, is exactly as factually supported as arguing that electric type Pokémon are better than water types. Or that a Chupacabra would beat a Jersey Devil in a fight.

And it's ironic that you go and complain about other people doubting the existence of hexes and witches, and then you immediately do the same about wizards.

Oh come on, I don't agree with that user either, but you have to know how uncharitable that is.

They were clearly talking about how, in general, you don't see a lot of people call themselves wizards. If you're going to argue against someone, at least show them some common dignity, for fuck's sake.
✵ ✵ ✵ The Rogue Nation of Fyrn-Gestreon ✵ ✵ ✵
"No kings, no lords, all power to the people."
-NEWS-
Rep. Beowulf Edithson Accidentally Gets into Debate with Fascist, Wins Anyway - Stahn Stahnson Advocates for Raw Game Meat Diet; "My Mouth May Be Covered in Blood, but I Swear This is Good for You" - President Ishtar of Nibiruu Reaches Out to Fyrn-Gestreon: "We Are Interested in Allies, Not Just Business Partners"
Fyrn-Gestreon does not necessarily represent my personal views. I don't use NS stats. Language used is Old English. Click on the flag for full detail.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General