NATION

PASSWORD

Is Hexing/Cursing Minors Ever Okay?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bluepillar
Envoy

Founded: Nov 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluepillar » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:49 pm

Woaaah. So much for "a stupid discussion with no complexity behind it" talked about by the one with the red fedora fantasy. I see pleeenty of complexity here haha I didn't expect many people to get involved in this discussion, tbh.

Neanderthaland wrote:I feel the need to point out again that OP mentioned these curses may involve self-harm, or animal sacrifice, or is otherwise "quite draining or expensive or costly to do." So as much as I enjoy a philosophical discussion of whether merely wishing harm constitutes wickedness, that's not quite what we're dealing with here. Actual harm is being done in the futile pursuit of a greater harm.

This being the case, the main victim in all of this (aside from the animal) is you. The person performing the curse. That was probably always going to be the case anyway, since obsessing over vengeance fantasies is not a path to health and happiness. But this is really going the extra mile with the sort of toxic, wallowing self-pity, and anger.

You're going to end up being someone that no one wants to be around. And you're also going to be down time, money, and/or an animal.

It seems Ug has figured out a loooot more than fire. Time for mod to destroy Ug.

TBH, yeah. Ritual work is time draining, and can even be exhausting depending on how you do it. Lots of rituals require materials, called reagents by some.
they/them, please.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:02 pm

Of course not, just like you don't shoot minors.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:08 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:Of course not, just like you don't shoot minors.

Shooting minors with an actual gun a bit different from using fictional bad juju hocus pocus nonsense on them.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:19 pm

Eahland wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:The "actively trying to slow the rotation of the Earth" is a fiction. The reality is that it's just a man pushing on a rockface, the delusion doesn't change what is happening. Activity exists in the scenario, but not the activity that the person thinks is happening.

He's still expending physical effort in an attempt to achieve that end. Does the fact that he's not succeeding - and in fact cannot succeed - mean that he isn't trying?

If you attempt to pick up a weight, and it's beyond your capacity to lift, does the fact that you failed mean you didn't try to do it?

It's not just do or do not. There is such a thing as trying.

But legally, it's not considered actively trying to harm someone. A man trying to hex an enemy is not the same as a man going to a busy place with a gun with the intent to commit a mass shooting.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Joker is the only trump
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Joker is the only trump » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:36 pm

Xmara wrote:
Eahland wrote:He's still expending physical effort in an attempt to achieve that end. Does the fact that he's not succeeding - and in fact cannot succeed - mean that he isn't trying?

If you attempt to pick up a weight, and it's beyond your capacity to lift, does the fact that you failed mean you didn't try to do it?

It's not just do or do not. There is such a thing as trying.

But legally, it's not considered actively trying to harm someone. A man trying to hex an enemy is not the same as a man going to a busy place with a gun with the intent to commit a mass shooting.

Depends on the judge and jury I think. Would a "reasonable person" expect hexing to work? Did the prosecutor knock on wood during his opening address?

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:53 pm

The New California Republic wrote:

Shooting minors with an actual gun a bit different from using fictional bad juju hocus pocus nonsense on them.

You shouldn't force them to watch Bette Midler movies either.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Joker is the only trump wrote:
Xmara wrote:But legally, it's not considered actively trying to harm someone. A man trying to hex an enemy is not the same as a man going to a busy place with a gun with the intent to commit a mass shooting.

Depends on the judge and jury I think. Would a "reasonable person" expect hexing to work? Did the prosecutor knock on wood during his opening address?

No judge is gonna take a plaintiff who claims to have been hexed seriously.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:12 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Shooting minors with an actual gun a bit different from using fictional bad juju hocus pocus nonsense on them.

Hocus Pocus is an American classic and you can’t tell me otherwise
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:14 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Shooting minors with an actual gun a bit different from using fictional bad juju hocus pocus nonsense on them.

I Put a Spell on You...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Bluepillar
Envoy

Founded: Nov 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluepillar » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:23 pm

Xmara wrote:
Joker is the only trump wrote:

No judge is gonna take a plaintiff who claims to have been hexed seriously.

It's true. We also have freedom of religion in lots of places.

This isn't a legal debate, but a moral one about issues within a broad segment of religions and beliefs - one of which is the targeting of minors.
they/them, please.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:

Ruthless people was kind of cute.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:06 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:I feel the need to point out again that OP mentioned these curses may involve self-harm, or animal sacrifice, or is otherwise "quite draining or expensive or costly to do." So as much as I enjoy a philosophical discussion of whether merely wishing harm constitutes wickedness, that's not quite what we're dealing with here. Actual harm is being done in the futile pursuit of a greater harm.

This being the case, the main victim in all of this (aside from the animal) is you. The person performing the curse. That was probably always going to be the case anyway, since obsessing over vengeance fantasies is not a path to health and happiness. But this is really going the extra mile with the sort of toxic, wallowing self-pity, and anger.

You're going to end up being someone that no one wants to be around. And you're also going to be down time, money, and/or an animal.

Neanderthaland does make an interesting point.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Fyrn-Gestreon
Attaché

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Fyrn-Gestreon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:16 pm

Xmara wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:You shouldn't force them to watch Bette Midler movies either.

Hocus Pocus is an American classic and you can’t tell me otherwise

Could do without all the weird insults about the MC's virginity, but otherwise I'm in complete agreement.
✵ ✵ ✵ The Rogue Nation of Fyrn-Gestreon ✵ ✵ ✵
"No kings, no lords, all power to the people."
-NEWS-
Rep. Beowulf Edithson Accidentally Gets into Debate with Fascist, Wins Anyway - Stahn Stahnson Advocates for Raw Game Meat Diet; "My Mouth May Be Covered in Blood, but I Swear This is Good for You" - President Ishtar of Nibiruu Reaches Out to Fyrn-Gestreon: "We Are Interested in Allies, Not Just Business Partners"
Fyrn-Gestreon does not necessarily represent my personal views. I don't use NS stats. Language used is Old English. Click on the flag for full detail.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:04 am

Adamede wrote:
Kubra wrote:Really now, does that nanny state want to regulate perfectly healthy magical interactions? What's next, wand licenses?

I mean doesn’t it seem kinda weird to you that what is essentially the wizard equivalent of a gun (when used with the right spells) is standard school equipment for learning wizards?
no. You see, they have this thing called RIGHTS. Not that the Ministry of magic knows, going so far as to ban avada kedavra in justifiable self-defense.
Last edited by Kubra on Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:06 am

Adamede wrote:
Kubra wrote:Really now, does that nanny state want to regulate perfectly healthy magical interactions? What's next, wand licenses?

I mean doesn’t it seem kinda weird to you that what is essentially the wizard equivalent of a gun (when used with the right spells) is standard school equipment for learning wizards?

To be fair, it is more akin to a swiss army knife. With a very large and deadly blade.
To be even more fair, one assumes that most of the teenage boys were far more interested in engorgio'ing certain things than in killing others.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:19 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Adamede wrote:I mean doesn’t it seem kinda weird to you that what is essentially the wizard equivalent of a gun (when used with the right spells) is standard school equipment for learning wizards?

To be fair, it is more akin to a swiss army knife. With a very large and deadly blade.
To be even more fair, one assumes that most of the teenage boys were far more interested in engorgio'ing certain things than in killing others.
if spell persists for over 4 hours immediately call for medical assistance
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:36 am

I don't believe in magic, but if it does exist, then no, I don't think there are many people who literally would deserve that.
Last edited by The Reformed American Republic on Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:51 am

I don't believe in magic, but no. No one, child or otherwise, deserves that
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:02 pm

Not really.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:04 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:

Not really.

Seeing as shooting someone does actual immediate harm and hexing has no real evidence of actually working, I’m going to call bs here.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Fyrn-Gestreon
Attaché

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Fyrn-Gestreon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:05 pm

Andsed wrote:
Not really.

Seeing as shooting someone does actual immediate harm and hexing has no real evidence of actually working, I’m going to call bs here.

Still kinda seems weird, though. Like, you have the intent of harming a child, whether or not it actually works. Is that not cause for concern, at the very least?
✵ ✵ ✵ The Rogue Nation of Fyrn-Gestreon ✵ ✵ ✵
"No kings, no lords, all power to the people."
-NEWS-
Rep. Beowulf Edithson Accidentally Gets into Debate with Fascist, Wins Anyway - Stahn Stahnson Advocates for Raw Game Meat Diet; "My Mouth May Be Covered in Blood, but I Swear This is Good for You" - President Ishtar of Nibiruu Reaches Out to Fyrn-Gestreon: "We Are Interested in Allies, Not Just Business Partners"
Fyrn-Gestreon does not necessarily represent my personal views. I don't use NS stats. Language used is Old English. Click on the flag for full detail.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:18 pm

Fyrn-Gestreon wrote:
Andsed wrote:Seeing as shooting someone does actual immediate harm and hexing has no real evidence of actually working, I’m going to call bs here.

Still kinda seems weird, though. Like, you have the intent of harming a child, whether or not it actually works. Is that not cause for concern, at the very least?

I agree with that. I am just pointing out that actually hurting someone is worse than just wanting to.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:20 pm

Not really.

Yes, really.

Wave on, wave on

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:26 pm

Not really.

Yes, really.

Well I guess in the technical sense of 'yes using fictional curses on minors isn't as bad as shooting them with a non-fictional gun' but using non-fictional curses is just as bad.

Andsed wrote:
Not really.

I mean, while the OP's particular style of magic isn't something I believe in, I do 100% seriously believe curses are a thing that can happen and should be taken seriously.
Last edited by The Emerald Legion on Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:28 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Yes, really.

Well I guess in the technical sense of 'yes using fictional curses on minors isn't as bad as shooting them with a non-fictional gun' but using non-fictional curses is just as bad.

Non-fictional curses do not exist, or more accurately have no real evidence of doing anything. Shooting someone with a gun does harm them, quite a bit. Ergo it is a worse act.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General