NATION

PASSWORD

2020 US General Election Thread XIII: Nocturne

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:56 pm

Bombadil wrote:Merry Christmas family, I'm granting you all pardons from criminal charges, oh and here's one for you Rudy, you sweet bag of festive nuttiness..

Donald Trump has discussed granting “pre-emptive pardons” to his children and son-in-law in addition to his personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, the New York Times reports.

The lame duck president is concerned that Joe Biden’s justice department might prosecute Donald Trump Jr, Eric Trump, Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, according to the report.

Pardons that pre-empt criminal charges are not common, but also not unprecedented, with the most famous example being Gerald Ford’s pardon of Richard Nixon.

Giuliani denied that he had discussed a pardon with Trump on Twitter earlier today.

"The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion." -- Proverbs 28

Pre-emptive pardons should be illegal, because they quash the finding of fact at trial. And thus, protect associates who are not subject to the pardon. Pre-emptive pardons are an absolute slap in the face to due process. The time might be coming when they're challenged in court, and with no support in the Constitution I can't see how they will stand.

Another thing that bothers me is that dead people can't be put on trial. Collaborators of Nixon may well be alive today, enjoying the freedom they do not deserve.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:56 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Your link said she was one of the Senators who could be counted on to stand against the usurpation of the election. My ... jest ... was meant to point out that she should not be depended upon for anything like that. McConnell like Kaa in The Jungle Book, never look directly into his eyes.

So we may have acting president Nancy Pelosi come January 20th? Hm.

I suppose there's a non-zero possibility but it's a tiny, tiny one.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:57 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Merry Christmas family, I'm granting you all pardons from criminal charges, oh and here's one for you Rudy, you sweet bag of festive nuttiness..

Donald Trump has discussed granting “pre-emptive pardons” to his children and son-in-law in addition to his personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, the New York Times reports.

The lame duck president is concerned that Joe Biden’s justice department might prosecute Donald Trump Jr, Eric Trump, Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, according to the report.

Pardons that pre-empt criminal charges are not common, but also not unprecedented, with the most famous example being Gerald Ford’s pardon of Richard Nixon.

Giuliani denied that he had discussed a pardon with Trump on Twitter earlier today.

Pre-emptive pardons definitely shouldn't be a thing for this reason. "Let's do a bunch of illegal shit, it's cool I'll clear us all on the way out the door."

Like, I'm not even sure how it works. Do you have to admit the shady shit they did specifically or just go, "Whatever they did they're not accountable for...whatever it is."

That's some bullshit.

Hey, you can get one as well if you've enough money..

The Department of Justice is investigating a potentially criminal scheme to lobby and bribe unnamed officials in exchange for a presidential pardon, according to a newly unsealed court document.

The heavily redacted filing relates to a search of various digital devices that uncovered potential evidence of both a “secret lobbying scheme” and a “related bribery conspiracy scheme” by individuals whose names are redacted.

Under the lobbying scheme, the individuals “acted as lobbyists to senior White House officials” without complying with disclosure rules “to secure ‘a pardon or reprieve of sentence for’” an individual whose name is redacted.

Under the bribery scheme, an individual whose name is redacted “would offer a substantial political contribution in exchange for a presidential pardon or reprieve of sentence for [redacted].”
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:57 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
So we may have acting president Nancy Pelosi come January 20th? Hm.

I suppose there's a non-zero possibility but it's a tiny, tiny one.

Can Congress really invalidate the election results?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:58 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Ok, but what does that has to do with the link I posted? I’m not following. Sorry.

Your link said she was one of the Senators who could be counted on to stand against the usurpation of the election. My ... jest ... was meant to point out that she should not be depended upon for anything like that. McConnell like Kaa in The Jungle Book, never look directly into his eyes.

Edit: Sure, Eldest, don't let me explain it to her!

You're old and slow and Nanatsu was getting fidgety, and when Nanatsu gets fidgety.. people die!
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:00 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Your link said she was one of the Senators who could be counted on to stand against the usurpation of the election. My ... jest ... was meant to point out that she should not be depended upon for anything like that. McConnell like Kaa in The Jungle Book, never look directly into his eyes.

Edit: Sure, Eldest, don't let me explain it to her!

You're old and slow and Nanatsu was getting fidgety, and when Nanatsu gets fidgety.. people die!

:clap:
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana
Minister

Founded: Sep 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:06 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Another thing that bothers me is that dead people can't be put on trial. Collaborators of Nixon may well be alive today, enjoying the freedom they do not deserve.

This makes zero sense. How is a court going to realistically try a dead person?
Not an adherent of Italian Fascism anymore, leaning more and more towards Falangist Syndicalism
Corporatism and Corporatocracy are completely different things
9axes
Pro: Falange, Command Economy, Class-Cooperation, Cultural Nationalism, Authoritarianism, Third Positionism, Border Security
Anti: Communism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Trump, Globalism, Racism, Democracy, Immigration

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:06 pm

Galloism wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Pre-emptive pardons definitely shouldn't be a thing for this reason. "Let's do a bunch of illegal shit, it's cool I'll clear us all on the way out the door."

Like, I'm not even sure how it works. Do you have to admit the shady shit they did specifically or just go, "Whatever they did they're not accountable for...whatever it is."

That's some bullshit.

The second one.

But it also destroys their 5th amendment right against self incrimination. Since they can't be charged, they can't use the privilege.

That's hardly an impediment. Just avoid being put under oath, right? Or if that's not possible, use the Reagan move: "I don't recall ever hearing about that" or if that doesn't work "I don't recall anything from that year ... am I under oath? I don't remember taking an oath"

Interaction between the 5th and the pardon power might make it logically impossible to self-pardon. But I guess someone's already thought of that.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:13 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Galloism wrote:The second one.

But it also destroys their 5th amendment right against self incrimination. Since they can't be charged, they can't use the privilege.

That's hardly an impediment. Just avoid being put under oath, right? Or if that's not possible, use the Reagan move: "I don't recall ever hearing about that" or if that doesn't work "I don't recall anything from that year ... am I under oath? I don't remember taking an oath"

Interaction between the 5th and the pardon power might make it logically impossible to self-pardon. But I guess someone's already thought of that.

So, we don’t know. No one has ever tried to self pardon before.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:15 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I suppose there's a non-zero possibility but it's a tiny, tiny one.

Can Congress really invalidate the election results?

The President of the Senate is responsible for counting the Elector votes, in the presence of House and Senate together.

Maybe if both House and Senate passed the same rule defining "count" as "add together the negatives of two numbers" then Trump with minus-232 would have the greater number, and be declared President.

Or maybe the ghosts of the Founding Fathers would cut loose some fentanyl gas they got from Putin, making the secretary of Agriculture the new President.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:24 pm

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Another thing that bothers me is that dead people can't be put on trial. Collaborators of Nixon may well be alive today, enjoying the freedom they do not deserve.

The only impediments are that the accused has the right to "confront their accuser" (no longer honored in all cases), appoint and direct their own defense, give evidence in their own defense (if they choose) and presumably provide motive to the entire defense team (ie, avoiding conviction).

But since the only point to such a trial is to find the facts, those safeguards to protect the accused are hardly relevant. The most difficult is seeing that the defense is properly motivated: couldn't this be adequately ensured by surviving relatives and partisan supporters of the late President? The historical reputation of Nixon would be far better defended than a common murderer who can't afford a private lawyer.

After the trial, and regardless of the verdict, new facts would be established to a legal standard, which might allow other prosecutions.

Also, Jeffery Epstein. Whether it was suicide or murder, how can you be satisfied with the law being foiled that way?
Last edited by Nobel Hobos 2 on Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana
Minister

Founded: Sep 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:26 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:This makes zero sense. How is a court going to realistically try a dead person?

The only impediments are that the accused has the right to "confront their accuser" (no longer honored in all cases), appoint and direct their own defense, give evidence in their own defense (if they choose) and presumably provide motive to the entire defense team (ie, avoiding conviction).

But since the only point to such a trial is to find the facts, those safeguards to protect the accused are hardly relevant. The most difficult is seeing that the defense is properly motivated: couldn't this be adequately ensured by surviving relatives and partisan supporters of the late President? The historical reputation of Nixon would be far better defended than a common murderer who can't afford a private lawyer.

After the trial, and regardless of the verdict, new facts would be established to a legal standard, which might allow other prosecutions.

This sounds completely ridiculous. Trying dead people, if allowed, could potentially create a common law slippery slope into who knows what

That’s the tricky part about common law vs. civil law
Last edited by Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana on Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not an adherent of Italian Fascism anymore, leaning more and more towards Falangist Syndicalism
Corporatism and Corporatocracy are completely different things
9axes
Pro: Falange, Command Economy, Class-Cooperation, Cultural Nationalism, Authoritarianism, Third Positionism, Border Security
Anti: Communism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Trump, Globalism, Racism, Democracy, Immigration

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:29 pm

Galloism wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

So, we don’t know. No one has ever tried to self pardon before.

Wait. He said he was draining the swamp. Why does he need a self pardon?

What did he do?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:30 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Galloism wrote:So, we don’t know. No one has ever tried to self pardon before.

Wait. He said he was draining the swamp. Why does he need a self pardon?

What did he do?

He ... didn't do ... anything but some unscrupulous people might try to put him on trial for things he never did.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:30 pm

It lets victims go after the assets.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:31 pm

There is precedent.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:31 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

This sounds completely ridiculous. Trying dead people, if allowed, could potentially create a common law slippery slope into who knows what

There’s actually precedent for trying dead people.

Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:32 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:This makes zero sense. How is a court going to realistically try a dead person?

There is precedent.

Dammit Farn.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:33 pm

Galloism wrote:

Dammit Farn.

Remember when we heard about that? Couldn't believe it.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:33 pm

Damn, beat me to it with the Cadaver Synod. Anyways, I'm not entirely sure how the power of pardon works, but doesn't someone have to actually be formally accused or convicted to receive a pardon? Why not just wait until January 21st to start nailing down the charges?
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:35 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

It lets victims go after the assets.

And since I think inheritance to adults should be banned, I'm fine with that.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:35 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Dammit Farn.

Remember when we heard about that? Couldn't believe it.

You’re the one who wanted to kidnap the deacon and get me in to play the voice of the pope, admitting to all sorts of extra unprompted craziness for the lulz.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:39 pm

Galloism wrote:
Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:This sounds completely ridiculous. Trying dead people, if allowed, could potentially create a common law slippery slope into who knows what

There’s actually precedent for trying dead people.

B'awww, I was gonna post the Cadaver Synod!
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

The Giant Space Wyrm
Envoy

Founded: Sep 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Giant Space Wyrm » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:47 pm

I think we're all forgetting the Democrats are Necromancers. Obviously, with their Dark Magics they can resurrect the dead to face trial.
Shower Thoughts Updated OCT/16
"Theirs been rumors that our Legion eats babies. This is of course reductive. We don't just eat babies. We eat literally anything that we can sink our teeth in, we don't care if your a newborn or elderly, you're on the menu."
"Lives are like currency, and we have a lot of disposable income."
Essentially Eldritch Mr. Rogers.
Q & A
Puppet: Comerciante

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:54 pm

The Giant Space Wyrm wrote:I think we're all forgetting the Democrats are Necromancers. Obviously, with their Dark Magics they can resurrect the dead to face trial.

That's hardly more absurd than a suicide bomber not being guilty of any crime.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General