NATION

PASSWORD

How does NSG feel about railways?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:06 pm

Vassenor wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:We'll see. Mallard still holds the record.

And PRR 5550 is still a decade away from being finished, assuming the money doesn't dry up.

I'd actually love a friendly contest between the UK and USA to design and build a totally new steam locomotive using modern materials and designs, and then to compete them in speed trials.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:10 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
And PRR 5550 is still a decade away from being finished, assuming the money doesn't dry up.

I'd actually love a friendly contest between the UK and USA to design and build a totally new steam locomotive using modern materials and designs, and then to compete them in speed trials.

Why limit it to those two countries?

Don't you want a Panzerdampf 3000! competing?
The Blaatschapen should resign

Outer Bele Levy Epies
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 31, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Outer Bele Levy Epies » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:14 pm

I like trains but Rail Baltica is a bad idea.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:15 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I'd actually love a friendly contest between the UK and USA to design and build a totally new steam locomotive using modern materials and designs, and then to compete them in speed trials.

Why limit it to those two countries?

Don't you want a Panzerdampf 3000! competing?

it doesn't have to be limited to them, I just thought about it in those terms because of the comparison between PRR 5550 and Mallard. The more new steam locomotives the better.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:17 pm

The Two Jerseys wrote:I look forward to PRR 5550 taking the speed record for steam.

Farnhamia wrote:As much as I think we should revive them in the US, I don't see it happening. It costs as much to take the train long distance as it does to fly and people have been convinced that faster is better. Sometimes, it is, but sometimes taking your time is good, too. Passenger trains in the US died when the Post Office put the mail on airplanes and stopped subsidizing the trains. Sad.

Government was screwing the railroads over well before they pulled the mail contracts, the airlines weren't the ones paying to build airports and navigational beacons...

This is true, railroads had to pay extra taxes, to the feds, as well as pay local property taxes on their tracks (because airports are not owned by the airlines, they do not pay property tax on them.

Over taxing the railroads, unfunded regulatory mandates (although the safety regulations were not bad, the government did not provide the railroads any funding to implement them, and imposed them at a time the railroads were already struggling) and also the government refusing to allow most mergers (the railroads needed to consolidate but the government stopped most, causing many railroads to fail, only to bough up by the remaining ones, consolidation happened anyways, but in a much messier manner than needed).

Had the government not taxed the railroads extra, provided money to implement the safety regulations, and allowed consolidation in a orderly manner, things would have turned out better. But obviously that did not happen.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Broader Confederate States
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Broader Confederate States » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Vassenor wrote:

argentina would win in a landslide in the strength department if mr. porta were still with us.
President: Phillip J. Morris | Location: Southern U.S., plus Puerto Rico and Alaska | Government Type: Confederation | Year: 2066 | Technology: Oil Crisis MT+ | OOC
haha аляска | Rewrite un-canned, expect it before 2021 March September 2030 maybe. | i honestly forgot basically every interaction i've had on these forums from before like july | We're proud to present...
Witty unattributed quote I'm using to pretend I'm more intelligent than I really am.
--proud to be anti-federalist--

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:47 pm

Broader Confederate States wrote:
IMO, diesels are boring. Which is fine, the oncoming oil crisis means they'll go the way of the penny farthing. And I don't think that electrification of the entire U.S. rail system is exactly possible due to stuff like transmission losses, so that leaves steam locomotives. Which is fine, modern-steam designs reduce maintenance by like 95% of the work and make them fuel efficient comparable to diesels, while burning more or less cleanly as possible.

Meanwhile back in China - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baASHBjFZY4&t=0m15s
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Broader Confederate States
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Broader Confederate States » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:49 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
IMO, diesels are boring. Which is fine, the oncoming oil crisis means they'll go the way of the penny farthing. And I don't think that electrification of the entire U.S. rail system is exactly possible due to stuff like transmission losses, so that leaves steam locomotives. Which is fine, modern-steam designs reduce maintenance by like 95% of the work and make them fuel efficient comparable to diesels, while burning more or less cleanly as possible.

yeah, becase they're designed for cost effectiveness. don't look to china for modern steam, look at argentina and the us and uk.
President: Phillip J. Morris | Location: Southern U.S., plus Puerto Rico and Alaska | Government Type: Confederation | Year: 2066 | Technology: Oil Crisis MT+ | OOC
haha аляска | Rewrite un-canned, expect it before 2021 March September 2030 maybe. | i honestly forgot basically every interaction i've had on these forums from before like july | We're proud to present...
Witty unattributed quote I'm using to pretend I'm more intelligent than I really am.
--proud to be anti-federalist--

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:51 pm

I like rail travel, and did it extensively while living in Europe. In the US however I haven’t had the opportunity.
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:52 pm

Broader Confederate States wrote:IMO, diesels are boring. Which is fine, the oncoming oil crisis means they'll go the way of the penny farthing.

Nope. In several countries there are ongoing projects to convert them to biodiesel, so they'll more than likely survive the decline of real diesel. Sorry.

Or we would be more likely to convert coal into diesel than burn it directly anyways.
Because you can turn pretty much any carbon based substance into oil, we cannot really “run out” of oil, even if fossil oil is not readily available.

Although you can of course power a steam engine with any heat source, you could power steam engine with diesel fuel burning. Hell you could even use an electric boiler to power a steam engine. The question would be why?

Unless we go nuclear, there is really no likelihood of using steam for practical reasons. A nuclear train is technically a steam train. But not likely.
Last edited by Novus America on Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:52 pm

Saralonia wrote:I love them, I also love their cousin subways, I love public transportation in general, it just makes life easier anywhere, trains are an experience I hope I can have soon but subways I've to and they are ok

The Metro is a quick way of getting around in a city. Problems are when you get a power outage which results in trains getting stuck in-between stations. Or during major floods in which the tunnels get flooded unless they have a very good pumping system.
National Information
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:55 pm

yeah, becase they're designed for cost effectiveness. don't look to china for modern steam, look at argentina and the us and uk.

In reality, that train video is of a coal train from Northern China. They tend to burn the lowest quality coal which has no market value which explains all the flying cinders.
National Information

Confederate States 0f America
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 14, 2013

Postby Confederate States 0f America » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:56 pm

They pay me over 100K a year to run freight trains across America... so I like them.
Slavery was officially abolished in the Confederates States in 1881
My nation does not represent my real life beliefs.

Factbook and Weebly
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=confederate_states_0f_america/detail=factbook/dcategory=1
http://confederatestatesofamerica.weebly.com/
Weebly is mostly deadlinks. Slowly working on it.

Factbook is still under construction and is incomplete. If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to TG me

WHAT WAS SHALL BE WHAT SHALL BE WAS

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:58 pm

Useful for creating transit spines along megalopolises like the European Blue Banana or US Northeast Megalopolis or connecting widely separated cities, but not as economical (currently) for someone who is leaving a town or city for a destination somewhere in rural nowhere.

In areas without them though, it'd be expensive, controversial, and time-consuming to tear out infrastructure to build them.

Basically, great transportation useful for a lot of situations but not some, although the attempted LA-SF bullet train route here in California was either terribly implemented or a terrible idea to begin with.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:00 pm

The Two Jerseys wrote:I look forward to PRR 5550 taking the speed record for steam.

Farnhamia wrote:As much as I think we should revive them in the US, I don't see it happening. It costs as much to take the train long distance as it does to fly and people have been convinced that faster is better. Sometimes, it is, but sometimes taking your time is good, too. Passenger trains in the US died when the Post Office put the mail on airplanes and stopped subsidizing the trains. Sad.

Government was screwing the railroads over well before they pulled the mail contracts, the airlines weren't the ones paying to build airports and navigational beacons...

I don't think its about screwing rail. Politicians are just frequent flyers
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Nerovia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nerovia » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:05 pm

I love trains. I see the railways as a crucial part of national infrastructure, and as cultural icons as well. I also believe that they will be key to the future of how we travel as the world seeks alternatives to fight climate change.

Monsone
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:05 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:Basically, great transportation useful for a lot of situations but not some, although the attempted LA-SF bullet train route here in California was either terribly implemented or a terrible idea to begin with.

It was terribly implemented. Too many cost overruns and other issues mainly associated with money. Though it is a great idea since it makes sense to link both cities and their urban areas with each other with high-speed rail.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Nuclear Power, Electric Vehicles, Single-Payer Universal Healthcare, High-Speed Rail, Social Services, Public Transit, Social Democracy, and Social Democracy.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:14 pm

There use to be trains here but highway infrastructure building put them out of business. Decades later they did build an elevated Metro in the Capital city which has been losing money since it was built.
National Information

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:15 pm

Monsone wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:Basically, great transportation useful for a lot of situations but not some, although the attempted LA-SF bullet train route here in California was either terribly implemented or a terrible idea to begin with.

It was terribly implemented. Too many cost overruns and other issues mainly associated with money. Though it is a great idea since it makes sense to link both cities and their urban areas with each other with high-speed rail.

Yeah.

Trains are great for connecting population centers and busses are great for intra-city/town transport, although the way society is structured in the US (and possibly other places, not sure), having a car is necessary for many situations. And Americans tend to prefer planes, since they're faster for crossing a continent-wide country with two widely separated population centers like it (one day to get to the West/East Coast instead of a few in a train). The only way that the US would really move more towards just trains and buses instead of planes, cars, and some bussing is hard necessity.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Monsone
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:29 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:Yeah.

Trains are great for connecting population centers and busses are great for intra-city/town transport, although the way society is structured in the US (and possibly other places, not sure), having a car is necessary for many situations. And Americans tend to prefer planes, since they're faster for crossing a continent-wide country with two widely separated population centers like it (one day to get to the West/East Coast instead of a few in a train). The only way that the US would really move more towards just trains and buses instead of planes, cars, and some bussing is hard necessity.

Exactly the case. I've taken long-distance trains in the US, and I have got to agree that flying is more convenient. I'd rather spend the five hours in a plane versus the several days on a train. Also, I don't think the US is going to kill cars off. It'll just replace them with electric cars and do some rail improvements because car culture is too deeply ingrained in the American psyche.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Nuclear Power, Electric Vehicles, Single-Payer Universal Healthcare, High-Speed Rail, Social Services, Public Transit, Social Democracy, and Social Democracy.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:30 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Monsone wrote:

Yeah.

Why would we need just trains though? Multiple transportation systems can coexist and might compliment each other.
For example many of the MARC commuter train stations are basically big parking garages. People drive to the train.
Multimodal transport is better suited for the US.

But the real problem is how will commuter trains survive when most people are not commuting anymore?
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017

Postby New Visayan Islands » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:14 pm

Novus America wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:Yeah.

Why would we need just trains though? Multiple transportation systems can coexist and might compliment each other.
For example many of the MARC commuter train stations are basically big parking garages. People drive to the train.
Multimodal transport is better suited for the US.

But the real problem is how will commuter trains survive when most people are not commuting anymore?

When I was in Manila, the commuter train experience was dependent on which line and/or what time you took it. Prior to The Coof, MRT-3 was Sardine City unless you took the first or the last few trains of the day. In LRT-2, on the other hand, the line was mercifully relaxing at any time of the day. When compared to a bus in Metro Manila traffic, however, they were a collective mercy.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:31 pm

Turns out the only efficient rapid transport yet invented is... the first one invented. Funny that.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:34 pm

Rio Cana wrote:

Rule of Cool.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 pm

For freight? Sure, great idea! For people, not so much. I’ll never give up the freedom of my car, and I resent being taxed to pay for “light rail” boondoggles. The “elites” that think they know better than me how to run my life me sick. Authoritarianism sucks!
"There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety." ~ Thomas Jefferson

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General