NATION

PASSWORD

Louisville Police Officer Sues Breonna Taylor's Boyfriend

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greater Malegron
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Malegron » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:51 pm

The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:
Daves Computer wrote:I would be willing to provide some evidence, particularly of how disproportionately punished and targeted minorities are by the criminal justice system, but I think it would be a wasted effort. If you are of the mind that Affirmative Action is some spontaneous and useless system that is "racist" towards white people, and if the subject of this thread, as well as the exoneration of the police who murdered Breonna Taylor, has not at least planted some doubt into the idea that there isn't at least some systemic racism prevalent in this country, I don't know what will at least make you consider otherwise.

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps more POC end up in jail because they commit more crime, statistically? Also, it's really quite hard to indict anyone who shoots after being shot at.

Ah, I see, the old 13/50 defense. Nice white supremacist dogwhistle.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:52 pm

Nejii wrote:
Albrenia wrote:
I agree. Do we also agree that more needs to be done to prevent more abuse of power by the police?

Yes, but not just solely to African American suspects/potential suspects. I’ve seen police on television and read about them being just as brutal with non-black suspects/perpetrators. But anyway, yes, there need to be positive reforms.

Yeah, I agree again.

Daves Computer
Envoy

Founded: May 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Daves Computer » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Daves Computer wrote:I would be willing to provide some evidence, particularly of how disproportionately punished and targeted minorities are by the criminal justice system, but I think it would be a wasted effort. If you are of the mind that Affirmative Action is some spontaneous and useless system that is "racist" towards white people, and if the subject of this thread, as well as the exoneration of the police who murdered Breonna Taylor, has not at least planted some doubt into the idea that there isn't at least some systemic racism prevalent in this country, I don't know what will at least make you consider otherwise.

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps more POC end up in jail because they commit more crime, statistically? Also, it's really quite hard to indict anyone who shoots after being shot at.

Ah yes, I've heard of the tired "thirteen-fifty" argument and the people who state that minorities commit more crime because it's "in their nature." Why do you think minorities commit more crime?

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Dude don't go there. It makes it sound like you think minorities are just born 'more criminal' than white people.

The Federal Government of Iowa
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Greater Malegron wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:Did it ever occur to you that perhaps more POC end up in jail because they commit more crime, statistically? Also, it's really quite hard to indict anyone who shoots after being shot at.

Ah, I see, the old 13/50 defense. Nice white supremacist dogwhistle.

Not white supremacist nor a dogwhistle, as it is a factual statistic. Perhaps you should look at yourselves and say "Gee, we need to fix our own character, behavior, and community instead of yelling 'BLM' and 'Cops are pigs'."
Right-leaning American Christian. Guns are fun. Space is fun too.
gender and biology are the same thing, sorry
I respect your right to ruin your life, but I don't have to celebrate it

"For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever!"- Romans 1: 21-25

Greater Malegron
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Malegron » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:55 pm

Greater Malegron wrote:Ah, I see, the old 13/50 defense. Nice white supremacist dogwhistle.

Not white supremacist nor a dogwhistle, as it is a factual statistic. Perhaps you should look at yourselves and say "Gee, we need to fix our own character, behavior, and community instead of yelling 'BLM' and 'Cops are pigs'."

It’s literally a white supremacist dogwhistle. You might as well quote fucking Mein Kampf.

Esalia
Minister

Founded: Oct 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Esalia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:55 pm

Greater Malegron wrote:Ah, I see, the old 13/50 defense. Nice white supremacist dogwhistle.

And if it isn't just the character, behaviour and community of black people leading to that statistic?
Formerly Estanglia.

Pro: Things I think are good.
Anti: Things I think are bad.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:55 pm

Daves Computer wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:Did it ever occur to you that perhaps more POC end up in jail because they commit more crime, statistically? Also, it's really quite hard to indict anyone who shoots after being shot at.

Ah yes, I've heard of the tired "thirteen-fifty" argument and the people who state that minorities commit more crime because it's "in their nature." Why do you think minorities commit more crime?

It is absolutely not "in their nature" any more than it is in the nature of any other human being. The reason why I think this is because of theological reasons, the foremost reason being fathers are grievously absent from most black homes. It pains me deeply that so many grow up without fathers. However, this is another debate for another time.

"For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever!"- Romans 1: 21-25

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:57 pm

Greater Malegron wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:Not white supremacist nor a dogwhistle, as it is a factual statistic. Perhaps you should look at yourselves and say "Gee, we need to fix our own character, behavior, and community instead of yelling 'BLM' and 'Cops are pigs'."

It’s literally a white supremacist dogwhistle. You might as well quote fucking Mein Kampf.

It's literally not XD

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:57 pm

Esalia wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:Not white supremacist nor a dogwhistle, as it is a factual statistic. Perhaps you should look at yourselves and say "Gee, we need to fix our own character, behavior, and community instead of yelling 'BLM' and 'Cops are pigs'."

And if it isn't just the character, behaviour and community of black people leading to that statistic?

You're going to have to find some evidence that it isn't.

Greater Malegron
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Malegron » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:58 pm

Greater Malegron wrote:It’s literally a white supremacist dogwhistle. You might as well quote fucking Mein Kampf.

It's literally not XD

It’s quoted by literal fucking nazis.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:59 pm

"If all it takes to break these people down is centuries of enslavement, followed by decades of disenfranchisement, segregation and abuse, followed by more decades of continuing disenfranchisement under the guise of law & order, continuing segregation via white flight and red lining, and economic depression heavily driven by discrimination and racially biased law enforcement all continuing into the present day...well than that just proves we were right about those people all along! White people have problems to you know, and we seem to be doing fine!"
Last edited by Myrensis on Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:59 pm

Greater Malegron wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:It's literally not XD

It’s quoted by literal fucking nazis.

And? Just because the evidence is used by bad people doesn't mean the evidence is bad. If 13% of the population commits 50% of the crime, then 13% of the population commits 50% of the crime whether or not it is cited by nazis.

Omniabstracta
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Omniabstracta » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:00 pm

https://www.sentencingproject.org/publi ... sparities/

If you want to talk about “factual statistics”, how about taking a look at the actual factual statistics? Blacks are nearly four times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than whites, despite roughly equal drug use across races. African Americans are twice as likely to receive sentences with mandatory minimums as compared to whites, irrespective of other factors like income and criminal history. Blacks and other people of color are far more likely to be denied bail than similarly situated whites. And on, and on. It’s far from “black people do more crime guys.”
"It was golden, purple, violet, gray and blue. It lighted every peak, crevasse and ridge of the nearby mountain range with a clarity and beauty that cannot be described but must be seen to be imagined. It was that beauty that the great poets dream about but describe most poorly and inadequately..."

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:00 pm

Esalia wrote:

Isn't it statistically pretty well proven that, for similar crimes, black males are punished a lot harsher than white males? That might have something to do with the amount of them in jail.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:02 pm

Omniabstracta wrote:

https://www.sentencingproject.org/publi ... sparities/

If you want to talk about “factual statistics”, how about taking a look at the actual factual statistics? Blacks are nearly four times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than whites, despite roughly equal drug use across races. African Americans are twice as likely to receive sentences with mandatory minimums as compared to whites, irrespective of other factors like income and criminal history. Blacks and other people of color are far more likely to be denied bail than similarly situated whites. And on, and on. It’s far from “black people do more crime guys.”

What you're ignoring is why those stats exist. All you're doing here is saying that there is a difference. Fantastic! There's a difference! But why?I'm willing to bet it's not because of systematic racism.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:03 pm

Omniabstracta wrote:https://www.sentencingproject.org/publi ... sparities/

What you're ignoring is why those stats exist. All you're doing here is saying that there is a difference. Fantastic! There's a difference! But why?I'm willing to bet it's not because of systematic racism.

So why don't you tell us the reason why. With evidence.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:04 pm

It's literally systemic racism if a white guy commits a crime and goes to jail for 6 months, and a black guy does the same thing and gets 5 years.

Esalia
Minister

Founded: Oct 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Esalia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:06 pm

Esalia wrote:

Considering how broad "community" is and most of the things I could bring up would likely fall into that category (e.g the correlation between poverty and crime), I should rephrase the question:

What if it's not possible for black people to collectively fix their character, behaviour and community by themselves? As in, what if external factors (e.g the relationship between black communities and police, the legacy of institutions like slavery and segregation, etc.) are responsible (at least in part) for statistics like the 13/50 one?

Your proposed solution is only viable if the problem is exclusively from and caused by black people. For some reason (like, oh I don't know, America's track record with its treatment of minorities, and the fact that situations like Breonna Taylor's still occur), I have a strong doubt that the problems facing black people (at least in regards to policing) are all internal.
Formerly Estanglia.

Pro: Things I think are good.
Anti: Things I think are bad.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:06 pm

Albrenia wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:What you're ignoring is why those stats exist. All you're doing here is saying that there is a difference. Fantastic! There's a difference! But why?I'm willing to bet it's not because of systematic racism.

It's literally systemic racism if a white guy commits a crime and goes to jail for 6 months, and a black guy does the same thing and gets 5 years.

Now now, I'm sure there must be legitimate reasons why blacks are punished more frequently and harshly for the same crimes than white people with similar criminal and economic backgrounds, without resorting to wild conspiracy theories about racism existing in America.

Daves Computer
Envoy

Founded: May 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Daves Computer » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:08 pm

Daves Computer wrote:Ah yes, I've heard of the tired "thirteen-fifty" argument and the people who state that minorities commit more crime because it's "in their nature." Why do you think minorities commit more crime?

It is absolutely not "in their nature" any more than it is in the nature of any other human being. The reason why I think this is because of theological reasons, the foremost reason being fathers are grievously absent from most black homes. It pains me deeply that so many grow up without fathers. However, this is another debate for another time.

I think this is entirely relevant to discuss, however. I am of the mind that minorities such as African Americans, because of the injustices made against them, are massively disadvantaged. They've been wronged by many institutions from the criminal justice system which preys on the young and vulnerable and takes away those father figures for longer sentences than they deserve, an education system which fails to give them the fulfilling education they need to get a satisfying career, and a regrettable culture which suggests that African Americans are inherently violent, lazy, and unproductive and therefore undeserving of welfare or a job.

If you are aware of the 13/50 crime statistic but don't recognize why systems such as Affirmative Action are important, I don't know what to say. Please consider the implications of the 13/50 crime statistic. No, not the racist connotations that many supremacists ascribe to it. Rather, consider what compels people to act criminally and how societal influences play a role into that.

Omniabstracta
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Omniabstracta » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:08 pm

If it’s not because of race, what exactly is it because of? If a black man receives a sentence far longer than a white man with the same income, the same education, the same criminal history, the same social standing for committing the same crime, what exactly is the magical factor that’s missing here? Unless you want to say “well black people usually commit more crime so the black person is clearly more likely to commit more crime and should stay locked up, despite literally anything but the color of his skin saying otherwise,” which is, you guessed it, racist.
"It was golden, purple, violet, gray and blue. It lighted every peak, crevasse and ridge of the nearby mountain range with a clarity and beauty that cannot be described but must be seen to be imagined. It was that beauty that the great poets dream about but describe most poorly and inadequately..."

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:09 pm

Now I know how centrists feel. I go from shooting down people saying that cops are basically Stormtroopers, to arguing against inane 13/50 'there's something wrong with THEM' memes.
Last edited by Albrenia on Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nejii
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:09 pm

Esalia wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:You're going to have to find some evidence that it isn't.

Considering how broad "community" is and most of the things I could bring up would likely fall into that category (e.g the correlation between poverty and crime), I should rephrase the question:

What if it's not possible for black people to collectively fix their character, behaviour and community by themselves? As in, what if external factors (e.g the relationship between black communities and police, the legacy of institutions like slavery and segregation, etc.) are responsible (at least in part) for statistics like the 13/50 one?

Your proposed solution is only viable if the problem is exclusively from and caused by black people. For some reason (like, oh I don't know, America's track record with its treatment of minorities, and the fact that situations like Breonna Taylor's still occur), I have a strong doubt that the problems facing black people (at least in regards to policing) are all internal.

I’m not necessarily siding with The Federal Government of Iowa, but I can tell you (and I have heard this from black friends and colleagues in the past) that “thug culture”, gangster rap, and black celebrities encouraging citizen insurgency isn’t exactly helping smooth over race relations and AA-Police relations either.
Last edited by Nejii on Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radical centrist tilting more and more to the right (socially)...

The Horst-Wessel-Lied is very catchy.

Growing more unapologetic by the day.

Nejii
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:09 pm

Albrenia wrote:Now I know how centrists feel. I go from shooting down people saying that cops are basically Stormtroopers, to arguing against inane 13/50 'there's something wrong with THEM' memes.

Welcome to Central Avenue.
Radical centrist tilting more and more to the right (socially)...

The Horst-Wessel-Lied is very catchy.

Growing more unapologetic by the day.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General