NATION

PASSWORD

Louisville Police Officer Sues Breonna Taylor's Boyfriend

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greater Malegron
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Malegron » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:35 pm

Nejii wrote:
Greater Malegron wrote:So standing up to the police going on fucking rampages makes you the REAL racists? :roll:

No, but the armed marches, intimidation tactics, looting, burning, beating, vandalism, and black extremist rhetoric does. I can just as easily give links to racist inflammatory comments and actions by supporters of these very groups.

They aren’t the ones murdering random people, they also didn’t engage in centuries of slavery and genocide. Fuck off with your false equivalence.

The Federal Government of Iowa
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:35 pm

Daves Computer wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:If I remember correctly, most black people in the US are middle class. Compared to the vast numbers of black people in Africa and elsewhere who live in abject poverty, middle-class American life is lavish. Even the poorest of Americans are richer than the poorest of Africans. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to excuse any bad thing or dismiss anyone's misfortune but those are simply the facts. I've also yet to see any concrete evidence of any systematic racism anywhere. Could it exist in some form somewhere? Maybe, I guess, but I have not seen any shreds of evidence.

I agree that the standard of living has improved dramatically over the last couple of centuries - and even in the past couple of decades - in developed countries. I don't exactly understand why this explains why this eliminates the idea that there isn't systemic racism. Everyone in these prosperous, developed countries has experienced a raised standard of living that would have otherwise been thought of as impossible a century or so ago. The expectation that almost every household has running water, electricity, internet, and other utilities is extraordinary and should be recognized positively. But I wouldn't argue that often oppressed groups have benefitted far moreso than the majority if that is your implication. And to say that a generally raised standard of living eliminates the idea that there is systemic injustices such as racism, homophobia, or sexism is truly naive. As our standard of living improves, we can certainly argue that as a society we're taking lengths to eliminate these injustices, but again, it doesn't suggest that these injustices are nonexistent or even tolerable. We still see systemic racism in various institutions, as I mentioned before, in the criminal justice system among others.

Indeed, but if a system were truly, unequivocally, and unchangeably racist towards black people, I highly doubt they would be leading a middle-class lifestyle on par with a majority of white Americans. I, again, have not seen any tangible pieces of evidence of racism in any American system besides Affirmative Action, which is ironically racist towards white and Asian people.
Right-leaning American Christian. Guns are fun. Space is fun too.
gender and biology are the same thing, sorry
I respect your right to ruin your life, but I don't have to celebrate it

"For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever!"- Romans 1: 21-25

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:36 pm

It continues to amaze me how many police seem to have taken a "The beatings will continue until you realize we're the heroes!" approach to the current state of affairs.

Loben III
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben III » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:36 pm

Greater Malegron wrote:
Nejii wrote:
No, but the armed marches, intimidation tactics, looting, burning, beating, vandalism, and black extremist rhetoric does. I can just as easily give links to racist inflammatory comments and actions by supporters of these very groups.

They aren’t the ones murdering random people, they also didn’t engage in centuries of slavery and genocide. Fuck off with your false equivalence.

Meanwhile in the rest of the world, slavery and genocide.

say did you know that whites were also enslaved? Asians?
Abandon your jobs
Abandon your posts
Abandon your homes
Abandon all hope

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:36 pm

Nejii wrote:
Loben III wrote:
i am most certainly not a white supremacist.

Do not take it to heart. White supremacist is an attempted guilt-label by anyone who doesn’t follow under or preach far left rhetoric and insanity. Your average user of this phrase skews or doesn’t even understand the true meaning of the term.

In some cases anyway. There's certainly white supremacists who need to be called out on it, but nothing Loben III has said makes me think they're one, despite them holding opinions quite opposed to my own.

I think there's some pretty huge problems in the US with racism, both individual and systemic. I also think it's not anywhere close to the Nazi Germany some people like to say, nor is it a uniquely American problem, or as bad as it once was. Still needs work though.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:36 pm

Greater Malegron wrote:
Nejii wrote:

They are murdering random people...
Black people have also indeed engaged in acts of slavery and genocide as has LITERALLY ANY OTHER CIVILIZATION THAT HAS EVER EXISTED.

"For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever!"- Romans 1: 21-25

Greater Malegron
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Malegron » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:38 pm

Loben III wrote:
Greater Malegron wrote:They aren’t the ones murdering random people, they also didn’t engage in centuries of slavery and genocide. Fuck off with your false equivalence.

Hahahahahaha. Right. Got any proof?

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:39 pm

Greater Malegron wrote:
Loben III wrote:

:rofl:
I'm literally dying that you need evidence. oh bother, I've got to go anyway.

Nejii
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:40 pm

Greater Malegron wrote:
Nejii wrote:

Slavery was across the global spectrum in centuries back. From England to Nigeria to China. I’m not defending slavery and it’s good that modern society doesn’t include such a dark practice. Well... modern first world society anyway. Interestingly enough one can go to various nations in Africa, the Middle East, and even Asia and “buy” an indentured servant as they are called.

Yet to this day we’re on about slavery in America as if it wasn’t anywhere else in all of human history.
Radical centrist tilting more and more to the right (socially)...

The Horst-Wessel-Lied is very catchy.

Growing more unapologetic by the day.

Greater Malegron
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Malegron » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:41 pm

You guys are literally defending racist murders.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:42 pm

The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:
Greater Malegron wrote:Hahahahahaha. Right. Got any proof?

:rofl:
I'm literally dying that you need evidence. oh bother, I've got to go anyway.

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed just as easily.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Nejii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:43 pm

Greater Malegron wrote:
Loben III wrote:

Rome for example. The Romans had slaves from as far north into Europe as Gaul (France) and Britannia. Corsairs in the Mediterranean regularly enslaved and traded white Europeans as well as Arabs and Africans. Asia (specifically China) had a widespread and long slavery period. And then the Aztecs for example who even sacrificed their slaves to their gods.

Slavery wasn’t just a white European thing.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:43 pm

Greater Malegron wrote:You guys are literally defending racist murders.

cue this fallback argument when all other arguments have been shot down with facts and logic
You have not proven that the cops are either racist or murdered Breonna.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:43 pm

Nejii wrote:
Greater Malegron wrote:They aren’t the ones murdering random people, they also didn’t engage in centuries of slavery and genocide. Fuck off with your false equivalence.

Slavery was across the global spectrum in centuries back. From England to Nigeria to China. I’m not defending slavery and it’s good that modern society doesn’t include such a dark practice. Well... modern first world society anyway. Interestingly enough one can go to various nations in Africa, the Middle East, and even Asia and “buy” an indentured servant as they are called.

Yet to this day we’re on about slavery in America as if it wasn’t anywhere else in all of human history.

To be fair, the fact that white people were most certainly enslaved in other parts of the world didn't have as much impact on American society as the conditions of slavery in the US itself. It is silly to say that slavery is just a white people thing though, since entire cultures have been built on it across the world, of pretty much all races.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:44 pm

cue this fallback argument when all other arguments have been shot down with facts and logic

You haven't proven any of your points either. So get out with that "facts and logic" when you've yet to show you're providing either.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Greater Malegron
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Malegron » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:44 pm

Nejii wrote:

Rome for example. The Romans had slaves from as far north into Europe as Gaul (France) and Britannia. Corsairs in the Mediterranean regularly enslaved and traded white Europeans as well as Arabs and Africans. Asia (specifically China) had a widespread and long slavery period. And then the Aztecs for example who even sacrificed their slaves to their gods.

Romans are white Europeans? And in any case, that wasn’t racially motivated. American slavery most definitely is.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:45 pm

Nejii wrote:

That's nice, but what does it have to do with the history of slavery in America and the political and social situation of the descendants of those slaves in America?

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:45 pm

Vassenor wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:cue this fallback argument when all other arguments have been shot down with facts and logic

You haven't proven any of your points either. So get out with that "facts and logic" when you've yet to show you're providing either.

I believe that what I've said is well substantiated.

Daves Computer
Envoy

Founded: May 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Daves Computer » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:45 pm

Daves Computer wrote:
I agree that the standard of living has improved dramatically over the last couple of centuries - and even in the past couple of decades - in developed countries. I don't exactly understand why this explains why this eliminates the idea that there isn't systemic racism. Everyone in these prosperous, developed countries has experienced a raised standard of living that would have otherwise been thought of as impossible a century or so ago. The expectation that almost every household has running water, electricity, internet, and other utilities is extraordinary and should be recognized positively. But I wouldn't argue that often oppressed groups have benefitted far moreso than the majority if that is your implication. And to say that a generally raised standard of living eliminates the idea that there is systemic injustices such as racism, homophobia, or sexism is truly naive. As our standard of living improves, we can certainly argue that as a society we're taking lengths to eliminate these injustices, but again, it doesn't suggest that these injustices are nonexistent or even tolerable. We still see systemic racism in various institutions, as I mentioned before, in the criminal justice system among others.

Indeed, but if a system were truly, unequivocally, and unchangeably racist towards black people, I highly doubt they would be leading a middle-class lifestyle on par with a majority of white Americans. I, again, have not seen any tangible pieces of evidence of racism in any American system besides Affirmative Action, which is ironically racist towards white and Asian people.

I would be willing to provide some evidence, particularly of how disproportionately punished and targeted minorities are by the criminal justice system, but I think it would be a wasted effort. If you are of the mind that Affirmative Action is some spontaneous and useless system that is "racist" towards white people, and if the subject of this thread as well as the exoneration of the police who murdered Breonna Taylor has not at least planted some doubt into the idea that there isn't at least some systemic racism prevalent in this country, I don't know what will at least make you consider otherwise.

Nejii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:45 pm

True murderous, racist police and (non-police) I do not defend. But listing every single police officer as a racist killer and the entirety of law enforcement across the system (even black law enforcement personnel) as deliberately oppressive based on race is, again, erroneous.
Last edited by Nejii on Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:45 pm

Vassenor wrote:

I believe that what I've said is well substantiated.

So where did you substantiate it with actual evidence?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Greater Malegron
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Malegron » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:46 pm

Nejii wrote:

True murderous, racist police and (non-police) i do not defend. But listing every single police officer as a racist killer and the entirety of law enforcement as deliberately oppressive based on race is, again, erroneous.

The institution was literally formed to defend slavery. And police organizations literally associate with the KKK and quote Hitler as a hero.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:47 pm

Nejii wrote:

True murderous, racist police and (non-police) i do not defend. But listing every single police officer as a racist killer and the entirety of law enforcement as deliberately oppressive based on race is, again, erroneous.

I agree. Do we also agree that more needs to be done to prevent more abuse of power by the police?

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:49 pm

Daves Computer wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:Indeed, but if a system were truly, unequivocally, and unchangeably racist towards black people, I highly doubt they would be leading a middle-class lifestyle on par with a majority of white Americans. I, again, have not seen any tangible pieces of evidence of racism in any American system besides Affirmative Action, which is ironically racist towards white and Asian people.

I would be willing to provide some evidence, particularly of how disproportionately punished and targeted minorities are by the criminal justice system, but I think it would be a wasted effort. If you are of the mind that Affirmative Action is some spontaneous and useless system that is "racist" towards white people, and if the subject of this thread, as well as the exoneration of the police who murdered Breonna Taylor, has not at least planted some doubt into the idea that there isn't at least some systemic racism prevalent in this country, I don't know what will at least make you consider otherwise.

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps more POC end up in jail because they commit more crime, statistically? Also, it's really quite hard to indict anyone who shoots after being shot at.

Nejii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nejii » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:49 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Nejii wrote:

I agree. Do we also agree that more needs to be done to prevent more abuse of power by the police?

Yes, but not just solely to African American suspects/potential suspects. I’ve seen police on television and read about them being just as brutal with non-black suspects/perpetrators. But anyway, yes, there need to be positive reforms.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General