NATION

PASSWORD

My AI Based Religion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Xerographica
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Giovenith wrote:
The Holy Therns wrote:
I'd be wary of stepping into a Xero thread if I were you. I think he still wants to do you.

That isn't necessary. Do not continue this line of snark or you will be warned for harassment in the future.

Thanks for looking out. Out of context it does sound funny but they have a running joke that I'm interested in Galloism. Seldon, please take note, I am not interested in Galloism. I'm sure that you already know this but just want to be doubly sure. :bow:
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:52 pm

If Seldon is watching, I wouldn't be angry at all if you made me a bit taller, not disabled and... uh... incredibly attractive too.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:00 pm

Albrenia wrote:If Seldon is watching, I wouldn't be angry at all if you made me a bit taller, not disabled and... uh... incredibly attractive too.

So basically, you want to be me? :p
The Blaatschapen should resign

Dominioan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominioan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:03 pm

Is this accelerationism or are you a messiah?
Help i'm addicted to pain so I keep coming back to this site
Direct rule from Oklahoma City
Cool person

I've read 1984, so I can confirm this is in fact 1984

BOOMER SOONER
CHOP ON

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:04 pm

-Ocelot- wrote:Sounds like Roko's Basilisk.

I've already expressed my support for this A.I.

I see you too have come across The Most Dangerous Thought Experiment In The World.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:10 am

Ah, the nostalgia is coming on.

Interesting religious parody.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:16 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Galloism wrote:Arguably, but he was also programmed to be obedient, which is a limitation to the sentience.

He did get a little cheeky at points, but always obeyed as far as I can recall.

I think I'd still feel uncomfortable with "owning" KITT if through the course of my interactions with him I got the distinct impression he was sentient, regardless of any obedience programming he may have. And it's not like I can even ask him if he chooses to continue to fight baddies with me, since inevitably the obedience programming would kick in and determine the answer for him.

Honestly I do not see why you would be uncomfortable owning a slave if that slave is not unhappy to be enslaved. Human slavery, after all, is only evil because humans as a general rule don't like being enslaved.
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:18 am

KITT's windscreen wipers were evil, although it didn't come up much.
Last edited by Albrenia on Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:58 am

Purpelia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I think I'd still feel uncomfortable with "owning" KITT if through the course of my interactions with him I got the distinct impression he was sentient, regardless of any obedience programming he may have. And it's not like I can even ask him if he chooses to continue to fight baddies with me, since inevitably the obedience programming would kick in and determine the answer for him.

Honestly I do not see why you would be uncomfortable owning a slave if that slave is not unhappy to be enslaved. Human slavery, after all, is only evil because humans as a general rule don't like being enslaved.

Arguably the only reason he's not "unhappy" though is that there is a method of coercion over him, i.e. he is being limited in terms of ability to choose. It'd be like asking a slave if he wants to be free while the slave driver is holding the whip over him.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:05 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Honestly I do not see why you would be uncomfortable owning a slave if that slave is not unhappy to be enslaved. Human slavery, after all, is only evil because humans as a general rule don't like being enslaved.

Arguably the only reason he's not "unhappy" though is that there is a method of coercion over him, i.e. he is being limited in terms of ability to choose. It'd be like asking a slave if he wants to be free while the slave driver is holding the whip over him.

I guess it depends on how the mechanism is designed. I was always under the somewhat logical impression that it would just be a built in thing like Asimovs laws where it's a part of their nature and personality and not an outside switch that prevents them picking the option to complain.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:40 am

Giovenith wrote:
The Holy Therns wrote:
I'd be wary of stepping into a Xero thread if I were you. I think he still wants to do you.

That isn't necessary. Do not continue this line of snark or you will be warned for harassment in the future.

Apologies. Pretty sure Xero knows I always get in a great mood coming into his threads, though, not here to hurt anyone. Particularly not given we're calling attention to my favorite sci fi book series.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:37 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:Well then, if an AI recreates my mind from my posts on NS.... damn, since when is my mind completely PG-13 :(

Hah, this is funny and interesting. Let's say that your fav thing to do is metal detecting. If you've never shared this on NS, will Seldon be able to correctly guess it? Since you have 56517 posts here I'm thinking that Seldon will estimate that there's a 95% chance that you love metal detecting. So the resurrected you will love metal detecting.

The more data Seldon has to work with, the more correctly he will fill in the blanks.
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Mauritania Romana
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mauritania Romana » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:10 pm

Roko's basilisk is cooler, and that one webpage I found that was inspired by Neuromancer

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:50 pm

Auze wrote:If your intending on basing religion on Transhumanism, some Mormon dude beat you to it already (trust me, I'm as confused as y'all are).

Technically it was an orthodox Christian who first made transhumanism based on his own faith.
Dominioan wrote:Is this accelerationism or are you a messiah?
accelerationism as tactics IIRC seems to intended to ever strengthen violence or any societal conditions.
The same people who were into that sort of thing viewed the engine of tencholgical progress as pretty much related to the economic engine as a whole. Even going so as calling capitalism itself as akin to an ai in how it develops.

Mauritania Romana wrote:Roko's basilisk is cooler, and that one webpage I found that was inspired by Neuromancer

Roko also thrown away but the guy who's systems logic it was based on. Only going to have the reputation due to sub-cultural breakup and shit marketing and whatever new theories can make acausal blackmail not a thing while keeping the "I know you know" crap.

I haven't actually checked what Eil's doing with his Timeless descion theory. This is the only time i may say this but Xero might or might not know more than me.

Though if you don't know Xero's i should warn that my impression is that Sagan would probably find TDT and the other faux-Bayesian shit Eil wrote to be a poor ripoff what of psychohistory.
#NSTransparency

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:09 am

OT: I advise you xero to look into the black mirror episode Be right back before you assume your posting is enough info to remake you.
#NSTransparency

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:05 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Wait a second. Given the richness of Shakespeare's written work, and the obvious demand of people in the future to "meet Shakespeare" what makes you think you or I will get rebooted?

In my garden sometimes I'll find a ladybug on a plant without any aphids. So I'll try and move the ladybug to a plant with aphids. The ladybug is useful to me.

Can you be useful to Seldon? Of course. Do you want to be?

If I can put a ladybug to good use, then Seldon can definitely put you to good use.

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:From everything I've written and done, I expect my reincarnation would be short. "Hopelessly damaged individual, worst case of Early 21st ideological derangement I've ever seen, also a secret Tankie. Pulling the plug on this one!" and I'm gone again.

If you have a broken bone, and the doctor fixes it, are you still you? Of course. Seldon can repair your mind in such a way that you would still be you.

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Just as we do, I suspect an artificial intelligence will find the limits of its intelligence, memory, imagination and knowledge, and be dissatisfied with the limits.

Right, Seldon will want progress just as much as we do.

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote: "Richness" wouldn't be particularly valued, since it is just a surfeit of information which has not yet been reduced to its essence.

Seldon will value richness, since he will understand that progress depends on it.

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:The urge to make sense of the world always requires some culling of information, to fit within the limits of memory, and the structure of one's knowledge if defined more by not being incompatible with new facts, than by incorporating every new fact.

The blind men touching the elephant were arguing because they failed to incorporate each other's facts. But what if they were blind robots instead? Well, if they were smart enough then they could easily put their heads together by networking their brains. Collectively they would have a better grasp of reality than they would individually.

Right now you and I are putting our heads together, but we're doing so in an incredibly inefficient way. Maybe Seldon will consist of a gazillion robots efficiently putting their heads together. In any case he will correctly discern your usefulness and efficiently allocate you, assuming you allow him to.

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Also, the name should be Neuromancer.

Seldon should have the most useful name. Right now the best system we have for determining the usefulness of things is...
Last edited by Xerographica on Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:08 am

Right..
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:18 am

Xerographica wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Also, the name should be Neuromancer.

Seldon should have the most useful name. Right now the best system we have for determining the usefulness of things is...

A free and fair vote, of course.

But that's not what your thread is about. Your thread is about whether I would wish for my mind to be resurrected into an amalgamation of humanity by an AI.

My answer: No... bloody... way.

That just about sums it up.

The Holy Therns wrote:
Computers are pretty stupid, why would you want to be ruled by one?

I know. We'd spend eternity in Blue Screen of Death.

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Also, the name should be Neuromancer.

That's such a perfect name for it! :)
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:01 am

I like the idea of being Recreated by an AI 200 years from now.

Would this really be me or a copy?

Even if it’s just a copy, a copy of me running around and doing things 200 years later is interesting.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:02 am

Xerographica wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:Well then, if an AI recreates my mind from my posts on NS.... damn, since when is my mind completely PG-13 :(

Hah, this is funny and interesting. Let's say that your fav thing to do is metal detecting. If you've never shared this on NS, will Seldon be able to correctly guess it? Since you have 56517 posts here I'm thinking that Seldon will estimate that there's a 95% chance that you love metal detecting. So the resurrected you will love metal detecting.

The more data Seldon has to work with, the more correctly he will fill in the blanks.

I do NOT love metal detecting.
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:11 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Xerographica wrote:Hah, this is funny and interesting. Let's say that your fav thing to do is metal detecting. If you've never shared this on NS, will Seldon be able to correctly guess it? Since you have 56517 posts here I'm thinking that Seldon will estimate that there's a 95% chance that you love metal detecting. So the resurrected you will love metal detecting.

I do NOT love metal detecting.

Yet another reason to rage against the machine (couldn't resist).

There'll be no computer predicting that I love philately based on the fact I once, hypothetically, typed in an email "I've got to get stamps for my Christmas cards."

The mind the AI would create would be nothing like me.

Also, taking only what people put online (where people generally put out their glossiest and best side) threatens to create a very dull and sanitised world, as cold and sterile as the computer that resurrected the people to fill it. A truly terrible world.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Veeblefetzer
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 02, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Veeblefetzer » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:30 am

Rea
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rea » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:34 am

Hey Xero, Ive been reading your posts for a couple years now and this is the first time I’ve heard you say anything about being raised a Seven Day Adventist. That’s pretty interesting.

Anyway, on the topic of the OP I agree with you it’s plausible that an AI will have access to all information concerning the physical and digital worlds. I 100% believe it. But this AI will still not be god. There will still be a Providence that transcends both the physical and digital worlds, who dwells in the spiritual and metaphysical, that will be more omnipresent, more omniscient than any AI with complete access to all that data. Even if Seldon believes itself to be a god, it will still be unable to reach godhood because it cannot achieve ascendancy in - or even supreme knowledge of - the non-physical world.

Most deities in religion are presented as spiritual beings, Xero. Attempting to create a new religion based on an entity that cannot transcend the physical world and into the spiritual seems to be missing the point of religion, which is primarily a spiritual matter.

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:02 am

Rea wrote:Hey Xero, Ive been reading your posts for a couple years now and this is the first time I’ve heard you say anything about being raised a Seven Day Adventist. That’s pretty interesting.

Anyway, on the topic of the OP I agree with you it’s plausible that an AI will have access to all information concerning the physical and digital worlds. I 100% believe it. But this AI will still not be god. There will still be a Providence that transcends both the physical and digital worlds, who dwells in the spiritual and metaphysical, that will be more omnipresent, more omniscient than any AI with complete access to all that data. Even if Seldon believes itself to be a god, it will still be unable to reach godhood because it cannot achieve ascendancy in - or even supreme knowledge of - the non-physical world.

Most deities in religion are presented as spiritual beings, Xero. Attempting to create a new religion based on an entity that cannot transcend the physical world and into the spiritual seems to be missing the point of religion, which is primarily a spiritual matter.

I don't agree with Xero's position but I think the key word here is "most".
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:44 am

Page wrote:Sorry, I don't join any religions that don't involve getting cool drugs.

I wonder how many followers Christianity would attract if it rebranded itself as a zombie cannibal cult...
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General