NATION

PASSWORD

Is an afterlife pointless?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:53 pm

Senkaku wrote:with lives, as with marriages: finish your dinner before you worry about getting dessert

Unless your ordering take out.

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:54 pm

La Paz de Los Ricos wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
What's the difference?

"Infinite void" is what I called the state of being Chestaan described: Awareness with nothing to be aware of.

"Eternal oblivion" is just the termination of your consciousness at death (which is what I believe happens). You literally cease to exist. No awareness. No thought. Not even a realization that you're dead. Just, blankness.

The second own doesn't sound all that bad tbh. Like infinite sleep
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Dominioan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominioan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:54 pm

I feel like I would enjoy having eternal happiness. I mean, if you are eternally happy, then you can't really feel disappointment.
Help i'm addicted to pain so I keep coming back to this site
Direct rule from Oklahoma City
Cool person

I've read 1984, so I can confirm this is in fact 1984

BOOMER SOONER
CHOP ON

Turelisa-
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Turelisa- » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:56 pm

No. I believe the 'afterlife' is nothing like existence on the physical plane. I imagine it is a state of being that transcends all time and space. The perfect moment of pure joy shared with others in a state which has no beginning and no end. I suppose the only way in which we can experience it bound in our flesh and temporality is as a man and woman in love newly married who having become physically united for the first time experience an orgasm together in their marital bed.
Of course, I also believe the afterlife is not guaranteed for all. After our physical death, our souls will remain suspended in sleep as it were awaiting resurrection and Judgment, when God will grant his elect eternal life in His Kingdom. The rest will be cast into what the Hebrewites called Ghenna, or in modern terms Hell. Ghenna was a burning rubbish tip outside of the limits of the city where the discarded sticks (faggots) were disposed of. Imagine the plight of torment of people perpetually burning alive in a lake of fire like faggots as their flesh smoulders for eternity, for spending their loveless, lustful lives burning in sin without repetence.
Last edited by Turelisa- on Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 11 times in total.

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:56 pm

La Paz de Los Ricos wrote:
"Infinite void" is what I called the state of being Chestaan described: Awareness with nothing to be aware of.

"Eternal oblivion" is just the termination of your consciousness at death (which is what I believe happens). You literally cease to exist. No awareness. No thought. Not even a realization that you're dead. Just, blankness.

Strange

Which is what terrifies me about the whole thing.

I consider myself somewhat of a realist. My consciousness is just a series of chemical reactions in my ape brain that happen. So, upon brain death, the logical conclusion is that my consciousness sinks along with the rest of the ship. But that sudden termination of my being is so out of order with all I've known because it is, by definition, unknowable. You can't know what it's like to cease to exist because, well, you don't exist anymore. Fear of the unknown. Plus, that basically makes my life this little glass cube.

But the alternative, an afterlife, is terrifying as well. An afterlife means that my entire life, everything I've thought about existence is wrong. There is something beyond. Maybe not a deity, but it throws my whole life into uncertainty nevertheless. How can I enjoy myself in Heaven if I can't reason Heaven's very existence?

"Damned if I do, damned if I don't" sorta deal, you know?
Last edited by La Paz de Los Ricos on Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Treangolist Revival of La Paz de Los Ricos
I survived the April 2024 NS outage! Also on a t-shirt! | Reworking national information. | The Navaluege Language (WIP)
CURRENT PROJECT . . .
The Tale These Islands Tell [PRIVATE|CLOSED] — [Chapter II - 02 April 2024]
A curmudgeonly Canadian reluctantly aids an aging Ricano legend in reviving the nation's history.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:01 pm

I don't believe in the afterlife but for the sake of philosophy, I would point out that many people hold to the idea that time does not flow in the afterlife in the same way it does in the world, that it is perhaps not linear at all, and in such a realm there would be no difference between 5 seconds and 5 trillion years.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Turelisa- wrote:No. I believe the 'afterlife' is nothing like existence on the physical plane. I imagine it is a state of being that transcends all time and space. The perfect moment of pure joy shared with others in a state which has no beginning and no end. I suppose the only way in which we can experience it bound in our flesh and temporality is as a man and woman in love newly married who having become physically united for the first time experience an orgasm together in their marital bed.

Whoa, that was a twist i did not see coming.

Lmfao coming
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Page wrote:I don't believe in the afterlife but for the sake of philosophy, I would point out that many people hold to the idea that time does not flow in the afterlife in the same way it does in the world, that it is perhaps not linear at all, and in such a realm there would be no difference between 5 seconds and 5 trillion years.

Hard to comprehend how that would feel.

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Turelisa-
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Turelisa- » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:59 pm

Page wrote:I don't believe in the afterlife but for the sake of philosophy, I would point out that many people hold to the idea that time does not flow in the afterlife in the same way it does in the world, that it is perhaps not linear at all, and in such a realm there would be no difference between 5 seconds and 5 trillion years.

If you can recall a time when you were so joyful that you'd lost track of time, during an interaction with a group of people, and then discovered subsequently how quickly time had passed, you might get some comprehension of it.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:10 pm

Turelisa- wrote:

If you can recall a time when you were so joyful that you'd lost track of time, during an interaction with a group of people, and then discovered subsequently how quickly time had passed, you might get some comprehension of it.

Interesting.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:24 pm

Turelisa- wrote:

Much like how dreams work then. A dream can last 15 seconds in real life but to your head it can go on for hours and hours.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:36 pm

I don't want to live an afterlife. Something about it's just not appealing, I want to cease to exist at some point (but hopefully not soon).

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:41 pm

Reincarnation sounds good on paper but in reality it would actually be fucked up.

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:49 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Across the world many religions depict there being a world after this one that a person goes to when they pass away. A place that for the most part is better than this one (except for hell)

I just want to point out this isn't true for a lot of ancient religion's. For example, according to the Ancient Greek religion, most people would spend their time in the afterlife in the Asphodel Meadows which were about a 3.6; not great, not terrible. The ancient Mesopotamian underworld was incredibly shitty because the station you held in life would often determine your station in the underworld. Die a slave and get a slave's burial? Your soul will basically live as though it is a slave though extra shitty since the only thing to eat, for anybody, is simply dust. That is assuming of course your soul isn't ripped to shreds by demons as you make the journey to the underworld.
Last edited by The Marlborough on Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

The Marlborough
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:50 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Reincarnation sounds good on paper but in reality it would actually be fucked up.

It's meant to be fucked up. Souls are supposed to work towards breaking the cycle of reincarnation.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:52 pm

Yes

Exalted Inquellian State
Senator

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Exalted Inquellian State » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:52 pm

No. I'd rather be bored at the top of the electron, and even suffer in hell till our universe dies, than loose my own self-my thoughts, my memories, my feelings, my touch-to a dark void. I don't want to stop existing.
My Kaiserreich Cold War RP-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=507613&sid=a338bded6a6009aba44e8b2d0d1d04c4
My Kaiserreich/The Burning Sun German Empire Political Roleplay-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=514195&sid=fd8a29ac7c4e1a97e9bc4266e116a56f

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:10 pm

The Marlborough wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Reincarnation sounds good on paper but in reality it would actually be fucked up.

It's meant to be fucked up. Souls are supposed to work towards breaking the cycle of reincarnation.

But think of how much pain you would encounter over infinite lifetimes. Damn, people who hope for reincarnation really should be careful what they wish for.

Unstoppable Empire of Doom
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unstoppable Empire of Doom » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:14 pm

Id love to live forever but an eternity in heaven is cool too. Purgatory would be fine. Hell would suck the most.
Whoever said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" has clearly never drown a horse.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:15 pm

Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:Id love to live forever but an eternity in heaven is cool too. Purgatory would be fine. Hell would suck the most.

Hell is the place you go where they play Hey Ya on repeat over the sound system forever.

So it seems alright at first but after 10 minutes you say "I hate it here." Then Satan says "don't care, didn't ask. Plus your mom big gay."
Last edited by Borderlands of Rojava on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:16 pm

Not useless at all. It's terribly useful for conning humans into doing what their local priest/shaman/imam says.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:49 pm

I don't think the afterlife is pointless. I don't think it's the point either, however, something that many people- both believers and the militantly anti-religious- fail to comprehend.

I agree that if the "afterlife" was merely a never-ending extension of this life, that would be a terrible burden and not something to look forward to. However, I don't believe that the eternal life we will experience in the world to come will simply be a continuation of our lives on this Earth.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

The Marlborough
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:53 pm

The Marlborough wrote:It's meant to be fucked up. Souls are supposed to work towards breaking the cycle of reincarnation.

But think of how much pain you would encounter over infinite lifetimes. Damn, people who hope for reincarnation really should be careful what they wish for.

Yes, reincarnation in most religions that I am aware of do not treat it as a good thing. Rather it's a form of suffering that a soul goes through until it reaches enlightenment and can break free of it.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:46 pm

The Marlborough wrote:

Yes, reincarnation in most religions that I am aware of do not treat it as a good thing. Rather it's a form of suffering that a soul goes through until it reaches enlightenment and can break free of it.

My mom hopes reincarnation exists. She better stop that.

Disgraces
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:48 pm

Everything is pointless.
The nation that represents my views is Tidaton

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General