NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XX: A Journal of the Plague Year

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:52 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Geneviev wrote:She stands up to Trump. And, she's just very cool.

Shes a centrist and a neoliberal. I dont give a shit that she has a personal feud with Trump.

I consider her personal feud with Trump very important. I appreciate that she cares.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:55 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Shes a centrist and a neoliberal. I dont give a shit that she has a personal feud with Trump.

I consider her personal feud with Trump very important. I appreciate that she cares.

pretty much every person on capitol hill with a (D) next to their name has a "personal feud" with trump tho
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:56 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Government by assassination when?

I was hoping for more of a Thailand coup/counter-coup situation, perhaps with the Trumps filling in as a sort of faux noir farcical version of the Shinawatras-- E! and TMZ need more programming targeted to polisci majors and I think this would really do quite well
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:58 pm

Senkaku wrote:What if they're not just excuses to most of the people making them, and we've crossed a sort of moral event horizon where enough people actually sincerely believe in certain violent acts being good or useful? And separately, I'm not sure how eschewed the killing of civilians really is today (or at the very least, their immiseration and displacement for strategic or political ends).

I'm confident that's the case, I don't think the people insisting their reasons for political violence are good (which will surely give them comfort if they're killed by those whose reasons are wrong) are just pretending. The only point where I'd disagree is the idea that it's a moral event horizon and not something that can be walked back. It took a number of steps for the bombing of Dresden to seem cool but even though we signed off on staggering air raids to make sure that as many first responders as possible would be killed by the second wave we worked back to "Well let's not do that." We have not crossed the rubicon as long as we're willing to make an effort to turn back.

But if I'm wrong hedge your bets and own a gun.
I'm not talking about denying people resources or dignity, I'm talking about openly and deliberately killing them as part of your strategy. I mean it's popular with terrorists but doesn't get much love elsewhere.
Last edited by Des-Bal on Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:59 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:I consider her personal feud with Trump very important. I appreciate that she cares.

pretty much every person on capitol hill with a (D) next to their name has a "personal feud" with trump tho

Yes. And pretty much all of them are cool, in my opinion.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:05 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:pretty much every person on capitol hill with a (D) next to their name has a "personal feud" with trump tho

Yes. And pretty much all of them are cool, in my opinion.

... is that all it takes?

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:07 pm

Geneviev wrote:

Cares about what?
Right wing conservative
Media is the enemy of the people
CCP delenda est
orange man bad. diversity is our strength. real communism hasn’t been tried yet. the hong kong protestors are paid by the cia. antifa protestors are good, hong kong protestors are american bootlickers. China is a better alternative to America. uyghur genocide isn’t real, and it is western propaganda. Trump should not have killed Soleimani. gender is a social construct invented by white supremacists.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:13 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Yes. And pretty much all of them are cool, in my opinion.

... is that all it takes?

Yep!

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:I consider her personal feud with Trump very important. I appreciate that she cares.

Cares about what?

What Trump is doing.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:16 pm

Earlier people were taking issue with private companies being able to ban people from their platforms. Seems to me one of the answers to this is to have the US government set up a platform, that would make it subject to the first amendment. Of course, there are other issues that would come with this, but it would fix that one issue.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:19 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Earlier people were taking issue with private companies being able to ban people from their platforms. Seems to me one of the answers to this is to have the US government set up a platform, that would make it subject to the first amendment. Of course, there are other issues that would come with this, but it would fix that one issue.

This is a tricky issue because a government run platform will likely be subject to corruption, I think the best way is to make a special distinction for social media platforms operating within the US to abide by the first amendment in regulating their content as a form of free speech and press
Right wing conservative
CCP delenda est
orange man bad. diversity is our strength. real communism hasn’t been tried yet. the hong kong protestors are paid by the cia. antifa protestors are good, hong kong protestors are american bootlickers. China is a better alternative to America. uyghur genocide isn’t real, and it is western propaganda. Trump should not have killed Soleimani. gender is a social construct invented by white supremacists.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:19 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Earlier people were taking issue with private companies being able to ban people from their platforms. Seems to me one of the answers to this is to have the US government set up a platform, that would make it subject to the first amendment. Of course, there are other issues that would come with this, but it would fix that one issue.

This is a tricky issue because a government run platform will likely be subject to corruption, I think the best way is to make a special distinction for social media platforms operating within the US to abide by the first amendment in regulating their content as a form of free speech and press

That would run afoul of the first amendment. Maybe a public-private partnership? Essentially a company hired by the US, and thus subject to stricter regulations than a fully private business.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:25 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:This is a tricky issue because a government run platform will likely be subject to corruption, I think the best way is to make a special distinction for social media platforms operating within the US to abide by the first amendment in regulating their content as a form of free speech and press

That would run afoul of the first amendment. Maybe a public-private partnership? Essentially a company hired by the US, and thus subject to stricter regulations than a fully private business.

The system we have now is if you can string together enough servers you can make whatever you want with blackjack and hookers.

We are currently kabitzing on a website that was created exactly that way.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:29 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Galloism wrote:It's really not an "extreme centrist view point". It's left wing viewpoint encouraging reflection.

This is a lie that has been eating at me that I was going to let go but it's so egregious and so self congratulatory that I apparently cannot let it go.

The narrative here that he wants to present is that this comes as part of his own self relflection of excusing left wing violence over the course of the summer.

But should you peruse the the COVID thread (just pick up any point in the conversation from that period) from the time, this is actually just part of a long pattern of him excusing right wing terror and intimidation with no shortage of critiques for the George Floyd protests.

If you want a pattern of encouragement, of excuse making and emboldening, there is no straighter line than making excuses for armed right wing demonstrators intimidating government officials in the summer and those same individuals storming the Capitol building. Somehow in the mirror of self reflection that became something else because it makes a good story. But it's just that. It's just a story.

Nah, that intimidation was also wrong.

You'll note at that time, I was talking explicitly about protests and the spread of covid and a particular study that was being misrepresented regarding the spread of covid.

But you didn't read that either, so who can be surprised.
Last edited by Galloism on Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:42 pm

Galloism wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:This is a lie that has been eating at me that I was going to let go but it's so egregious and so self congratulatory that I apparently cannot let it go.

The narrative here that he wants to present is that this comes as part of his own self relflection of excusing left wing violence over the course of the summer.

But should you peruse the the COVID thread (just pick up any point in the conversation from that period) from the time, this is actually just part of a long pattern of him excusing right wing terror and intimidation with no shortage of critiques for the George Floyd protests.

If you want a pattern of encouragement, of excuse making and emboldening, there is no straighter line than making excuses for armed right wing demonstrators intimidating government officials in the summer and those same individuals storming the Capitol building. Somehow in the mirror of self reflection that became something else because it makes a good story. But it's just that. It's just a story.

Nah, that intimidation was also wrong.

You'll note at that time, I was talking explicitly about protests and the spread of covid and a particular study that was being misrepresented regarding the spread of covid.

I read it. The record stands.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:13 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Galloism wrote:Nah, that intimidation was also wrong.

I read it. The record stands.

Indeed it does.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:24 pm

Adamede wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
In history? Sure.
But now? Well, look at all the arrests at capitol hill.

You do realize that history isn’t just words in a dusty old book do you?
The person with the biggest gun wins.

I do know how comparisons work, but in this context, it does not.

Based on the other half of your comment I’m thinking you don’t actually know how much of anything actually works.

How did the siege of Capitol Hill go?
Because, the police at the time didn't have the largest guns, the the Executive took a while to react.
Meanwhile, these terrorists were calling to lynch Pence.

I think as well, there is a big difference between violence by a mob, and a law which stipulates the loss of your freedoms from committing a crime.
Last edited by Celritannia on Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:51 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Adamede wrote:You do realize that history isn’t just words in a dusty old book do you?
The person with the biggest gun wins.

Based on the other half of your comment I’m thinking you don’t actually know how much of anything actually works.

How did the siege of Capitol Hill go?
Because, the police at the time didn't have the largest guns, the the Executive took a while to react.
Meanwhile, these terrorists were calling to lynch Pence.

I think as well, there is a big difference between violence by a mob, and a law which stipulates the loss of your freedoms from committing a crime.

The police veritably had larger guns than the rioters, they (or at least some of them) refused to use them, they where able to buy enough time for those inside at risk to get away.

And that doesn’t change the fact that this is history and to say otherwise is dumb.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:59 pm

A trumpet scrapped Trump on the back of a Manatee.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 631176002/
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:44 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:A trumpet scrapped Trump on the back of a Manatee.

That’s terrible :(
Right wing conservative
CCP delenda est

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:22 pm

terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE patterns of thought and behavior started and encouraged by trump

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 pm

Abusing animals to own the libs. Wow team Trump, never failing to exceed my expectations by stooping EVEN LOWER than I originally expected.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:32 pm

The NCNSA wrote:Congratulations, you have elected a president who is basically gonna be a puppet leader run by psychos like Pelosi and Harris. Basic biology will be abolished, medicare-for-all will be established, our income tax will skyrocket, and speech will be suppressed.
I'll be damned if Biden actually has a will.

So Pelosi and Harris can manipulate our genes to the point of "abolishing basic biology", implement universal healthcare, increase taxes on the rich to fund social programs, and deplatform domestic terrorists and insurrectionists?

Don't threaten me with a good time.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:41 pm

Picairn wrote:
The NCNSA wrote:Congratulations, you have elected a president who is basically gonna be a puppet leader run by psychos like Pelosi and Harris. Basic biology will be abolished, medicare-for-all will be established, our income tax will skyrocket, and speech will be suppressed.

So Pelosi and Harris can manipulate our genes to the point of "abolishing basic biology", implement universal healthcare, increase taxes on the rich to fund social programs, and deplatform domestic terrorists and insurrectionists?

As so many others have said, I wish they were that cool.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:53 pm

\
What is fascinating is a few of those people would argue a private business has the right to deny services.

Goverment provided service won’t work. The trumpets have a thing about the deep state. I don’t see them giving that up.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The NCNSA
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 06, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The NCNSA » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:08 pm

Picairn wrote:

Oh God. Another lib who only thinks about himself or herself.
Y'all think that your universal healthcare is free? But of course, if you guys are in the lower income bracket, you would know nothing about paying taxes. That your feelings are more important than basic mammalian biology?
Facts don't care about your feelings. Your healthcare would raise marginal tax rates to at least 50%. In other words, half of your salary would go to sleazebags who do nothing all day and wait for big daddy government to pay their bills. That is no way to live. Life isn't about finding a daddy to pay your bills for you, its about bettering yourself over time. Don't wait for somebody else to pick up your slack. It's the same with social programs. Don't force hard-working Americans to give up their hard-earned money to feed bozos who only play and don't work.
I couldn't give two hoots and a hell if you prefer to cut yourself up, change your biology, just to satisfy your mental needs. Just don't force the normal people to, by law, recognize you based on your personal feelings. Also, gene editing is far off, and if you think the government forcing scientists to research gene editing technology would be faster than a private industry motivated by wealth, you're completely wrong. Monetary incentive is much more effective than government force. There's a reason as to why basically all socialist countries have collapsed or are on the brink of collapsing.
Oh, and perhaps when you mean domestic terrorists, you mean not only the alt-right, whom I despise, but Antifa, who have wreaked so much more havoc than the alt-right could even dream of.
Also, just because I believe gender ought not to be changed doesn't mean I won't respect your opinion and call you by your prefered pronoun, only if you try to get your opinion made into law.
Believe me, now that I'm editing this, this really makes me seem like a hardline alt-righter, but I promise, I don't condone violence or discrimination against trans or homo communities in anyway, and I also firmly believe that the disabled ought to be helped in society, and those who act like they're disabled just for the benefits and positive stigma should perhaps rethink their actions.
Last edited by The NCNSA on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General