NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread V3: 2022! It's Happening!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Where's OBJ signing?

Green Bay Packers
13%
New York Giants
16%
LA Rams
11%
Buffalo Bills
21%
No one! Poor guy.
39%

Total votes : 80

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:56 am

Former Colt and Raven, Tony Siragusa, aka "the Goose" dies at age 55. *sobbing*
At DT he was an integral part of 2000 Ravens defense. He was a great NFL football player, teammate and all around fun person. Condolences and prayers to his family. *tears rolling down face*
He was the Arty Donovan of his football generation, but sadly he didn't live as long as Arty.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Window Land
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Window Land » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:05 pm

The Two Jerseys wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Why am I not surprised.

So what is it that has the federal government getting involved here? Seems like an NFL issue but I probably missed something.

Probably a condition of them being exempt from antitrust laws

Nope, the MLB is exempt, not the NFL. That being said, the NFL has done a pretty terrible job with Washington, and I hope they start going after them more aggressively.
Bored college student who is probably supposed to be doing something important.
Woodie Flowers wrote:If you’re anti-science, you’re pro-stupid.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote:I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Winston Churchill wrote:Democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.

Randall Munroe wrote: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
Free Speech

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:09 pm

Window Land wrote:
The Two Jerseys wrote:Probably a condition of them being exempt from antitrust laws

Nope, the MLB is exempt, not the NFL. That being said, the NFL has done a pretty terrible job with Washington, and I hope they start going after them more aggressively.

They have some status, but nothing like baseball, what baseball gets away with legally speaking is ridiculous.

Goodell is being an as usual a duplicitous jackass. He can advocate, he can recommend it to the owners, he could use his bully pulpit. But rest assured good citizens, he won't
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:28 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:Former Colt and Raven, Tony Siragusa, aka "the Goose" dies at age 55. *sobbing*
At DT he was an integral part of 2000 Ravens defense. He was a great NFL football player, teammate and all around fun person. Condolences and prayers to his family. *tears rolling down face*
He was the Arty Donovan of his football generation, but sadly he didn't live as long as Arty.

Siragusa was a local boy. Nice obit in the post

https://nypost.com/2022/06/22/tony-sira ... ne-he-met/
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:43 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:Former Colt and Raven, Tony Siragusa, aka "the Goose" dies at age 55. *sobbing*

Tony made Jersey and the NFL proud. Did not know about his Dad passing at 48. Jeez.
Thanks for the link, Ethel. Definitely a thoughtful obit from the Post.

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:55 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Tony made Jersey and the NFL proud. Did not know about his Dad passing at 48. Jeez.

Did you see Jaylon Ferguson died as well? 26 years old iirc - scary stuff, they aren't sure what caused it yet. They say they aren't ruling out a drug overdose but from my understanding they can't rule out much of anything rn, so it seems irresponsible to me to put that out there.
Last edited by Ranoria on Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:59 am

Ranoria wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

Did you see Jaylon Ferguson died as well? 26 years old iirc - scary stuff, they aren't sure what caused it yet. They say they aren't ruling out a drug overdose but from my understanding they can't rule out much of anything rn, so it seems irresponsible to me to put that out there.

No, i did not.
:shock:
Lord have mercy. Condolences to his family.

Pointy Shark
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 30, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pointy Shark » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:09 pm

Deblar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 28, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Deblar » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:11 pm

Hello, based department? I'd like to make a claim

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:07 pm

New poll! It's a little late but ya know. :lol:

I feel like young DEs are prone to over anticipating their sack totals. Micah Parsons also recently said 15 is the floor for him.

Anyway, projected offensive all-rookie team. Defense will be out Tuesday. I'd optimistically liked to have seen Treylon Burks at WR but I doubt it - kid's had trouble at OTAs and minicamp staying on the field due to asthma and Ryan Tannehill is gonna be throwing him the ball. Parallels to me with Corey Davis missing much of camp his rookie year and hugely underproducing.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:19 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

Quite a few NFL stars just dying this year. Good grief.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:34 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Did you see Jaylon Ferguson died as well? 26 years old iirc - scary stuff, they aren't sure what caused it yet. They say they aren't ruling out a drug overdose but from my understanding they can't rule out much of anything rn, so it seems irresponsible to me to put that out there.

Quite a few NFL stars just dying this year. Good grief.

Tragic, and a lot of them have been unexplained. Ferguson did have a couple little munchkins, and I'd think the money he made at least should keep them well-provided for.
Lumi is my NS mom

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:46 pm

Deblar wrote:

Hello, based department? I'd like to make a claim

That's my Quarterback.

#GeauxTigers
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 2 - 0 WSH | COL 1 - 1 WPG | VGK 2 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 2 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-19 | LSU 26-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-11

Pointy Shark
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pointy Shark » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:20 am

Shazbotdom wrote:
Deblar wrote:Hello, based department? I'd like to make a claim

That's my Quarterback.

#GeauxTigers

He's now my QB too. I don't care how much I hate the Bengals or whatever team he will sign with in the future Joe Burreaux is my ride or die QB.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:20 am

Can we not with the politics, please?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Pointy Shark
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pointy Shark » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:22 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

Can you not with the whining?

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:26 am

Pointy Shark wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Can we not with the politics, please?

Can you not with the whining?

There's threads for politics. Keep them over there. This is a football thread. Talk about football.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Pointy Shark
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pointy Shark » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:41 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Pointy Shark wrote:Can you not with the whining?

There's threads for politics. Keep them over there. This is a football thread. Talk about football.

I am talking about football, you may not know this but Joe Burrow is a QB for the Cincinnati Bengals. And if for some reason you are trying to tell me that football is not political then I should inform you that President Theodore Roosevelt threatened to ban the game back in 1905. Decades into its existence black and other minority NFL players faced segregation and minority staff would continue to face discrimination after the "outlawing" of Jim Crow laws. If that's too ancient for you I implore you to look into the player strikes and how owners and executives like Tex Schramm employed well known union busting methods to gain unfair leverage over the players. More recently a certain Colin Kaepernick was blacklisted on racial and political grounds, there were not 32 better backups in the NFL.
Sports are very much political. Do not pretend they are not.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:12 am

In actual football news, yet another player went and died. Marlin Briscoe, specifically.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:13 am

Pointy Shark wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:There's threads for politics. Keep them over there. This is a football thread. Talk about football.

I am talking about football, you may not know this but Joe Burrow is a QB for the Cincinnati Bengals. And if for some reason you are trying to tell me that football is not political then I should inform you that President Theodore Roosevelt threatened to ban the game back in 1905. Decades into its existence black and other minority NFL players faced segregation and minority staff would continue to face discrimination after the "outlawing" of Jim Crow laws. If that's too ancient for you I implore you to look into the player strikes and how owners and executives like Tex Schramm employed well known union busting methods to gain unfair leverage over the players. More recently a certain Colin Kaepernick was blacklisted on racial and political grounds, there were not 32 better backups in the NFL.

Enough. We've been over the Colin Kaepernick thing more times than I can count, you're not bringing any new info to the table there - Joe Burrow made a political statement and the NFL and its players often take their political stances publicly. I'd also we rather avoid the politics, but if you wanna talk about it that's up to you. That doesn't mean you need to be inflammatory. Nobody's whining.
Lumi is my NS mom

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:17 am

Ameriganastan wrote:In actual football news, yet another player went and died. Marlin Briscoe, specifically.

Didn't know about him until today! Cool story, sounds like a helluva guy.
Lumi is my NS mom

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:21 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

Whether you agree or not, he has a right to his political opinions. And it’s come up in the context of his being a football player so…
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:22 am

Ranoria wrote:
Pointy Shark wrote:I am talking about football, you may not know this but Joe Burrow is a QB for the Cincinnati Bengals. And if for some reason you are trying to tell me that football is not political then I should inform you that President Theodore Roosevelt threatened to ban the game back in 1905. Decades into its existence black and other minority NFL players faced segregation and minority staff would continue to face discrimination after the "outlawing" of Jim Crow laws. If that's too ancient for you I implore you to look into the player strikes and how owners and executives like Tex Schramm employed well known union busting methods to gain unfair leverage over the players. More recently a certain Colin Kaepernick was blacklisted on racial and political grounds, there were not 32 better backups in the NFL.

Enough. We've been over the Colin Kaepernick thing more times than I can count, you're not bringing any new info to the table there - Joe Burrow made a political statement and the NFL and its players often take their political stances publicly. I'd also we rather avoid the politics, but if you wanna talk about it that's up to you. That doesn't mean you need to be inflammatory. Nobody's whining.

Admittedly, Sharky makes some good points. Unfortunately we fuss and maw and whatever over football being political, but in some instances you really can’t hop away from it. A lot of politics have gone into the NFL being what it is today.
-Alan Jackson

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:34 am

Luminesa wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Enough. We've been over the Colin Kaepernick thing more times than I can count, you're not bringing any new info to the table there - Joe Burrow made a political statement and the NFL and its players often take their political stances publicly. I'd also we rather avoid the politics, but if you wanna talk about it that's up to you. That doesn't mean you need to be inflammatory. Nobody's whining.

Admittedly, Sharky makes some good points. Unfortunately we fuss and maw and whatever over football being political, but in some instances you really can’t hop away from it. A lot of politics have gone into the NFL being what it is today.

Absolutely correct, no argument there. :)
Lumi is my NS mom

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:28 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Enough. We've been over the Colin Kaepernick thing more times than I can count, you're not bringing any new info to the table there - Joe Burrow made a political statement and the NFL and its players often take their political stances publicly. I'd also we rather avoid the politics, but if you wanna talk about it that's up to you. That doesn't mean you need to be inflammatory. Nobody's whining.

We live in a day and age where most everything and anything is over politicized. This thread does not have to overtly add to that heaping stack of poli-overkill. Can we focus more on football itself? BTW, paying your child support is good. :blink:

Oh look! I see where Pro Football Focus is ranking the Ravens secondary as the #1 unit. :)
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General