NATION

PASSWORD

Armenia-Azerbaijan Conflict: The Great Betrayal

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:43 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
I’ve also never said that either.

Yet you describe it as a strategic necessity.

I never justified the ethnic cleansing.

If you want to feel real ‘holier than thou’ by attacking positions I don’t actually have, you go ahead. Hope you feel good about yourself today.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:45 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Yet you describe it as a strategic necessity.

I never justified the ethnic cleansing.

If you want to feel real ‘holier than thou’ by attacking positions I don’t actually have, you go ahead. Hope you feel good about yourself today.

The fact that you see any kind of disagreement as personal spite isn't my problem. The problem is that I explicitly mentioned the ethnic cleansing of Azeris from the security corridor and your response was "If Armenia had done any less to secure Artsakh" etc etc. How is that not describing it as a strategic necessity?
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:45 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Cool. I don't see how needing to defend territory that isn't legally yours gives you any legal right to occupy land that isn't yours and expel its residents.

The law in this case not giving any shit to what the native people actually want.

We both know that international law is bullshit, UMN. Unless you’ve suddenly become a total shill for that.

Right to a lot of the area (but we still have the problem of what the people of places like Aghdam wanted, they did not want their city leveled) but the problem with that argument, if you say you are right, and the law is wrong, unless you can back it up with force, you still lose.
As Armenia discovered.
Right or wrong aside.

Sometimes breaking the law is absolutely morally justified (and the principles of territorial integrity and self determination in international law do contradict each other) but when you break the law, even an unjust law, you still face the consequences of breaking it.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:49 am

Novus America wrote:
Armenia failed to secure Artsakh anyways. Because simply taking more land did not overcome its other failures.

They secured it for a couple decades and won every conflict up to this point. I wouldn’t call it a total failure.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:56 am

Punished UMN wrote:The fact that you see any kind of disagreement as personal spite isn't my problem. The problem is that I explicitly mentioned the ethnic cleansing of Azeris from the security corridor and your response was "If Armenia had done any less to secure Artsakh" etc etc. How is that not describing it as a strategic necessity?

Because keeping a large amount of people whose loyalty lies with Azerbaijan within the border of a country at war with Azerbaijan isn’t conducive to a secure position. That’s the logic at play here, and it’s honestly not that wrong as far as practical reality and the nature of the war is concerned.

That doesn’t make it right, and that doesn’t excuse the worst things Armenia did, but what else were they supposed to do in an existential conflict based on ethnic lines?
Last edited by Salus Maior on Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:58 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Armenia failed to secure Artsakh anyways. Because simply taking more land did not overcome its other failures.

They secured it for a couple decades and won every conflict up to this point. I wouldn’t call it a total failure.

Perhaps not a total failure short term, but certainly a failure long term.
Clearly it was not a long term viable strategy.

They did overextend, taking more than they could hold.

And it is over now. Each year it will get worse.
It is all downhill for Armenians from here unfortunately.

Barring some miracle that fixes their endemic political chaos, economic inferiority and low fertility.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:01 pm

Novus America wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Perhaps not a total failure short term, but certainly a failure long term.
Clearly it was not a long term viable strategy.

They did overextend, taking more than they could hold.

And it is over now. Each year it will get worse.
It is all downhill for Armenians from here unfortunately.

Barring some miracle that fixes their endemic political chaos, economic inferiority and low fertility.

Yeah, I know.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:21 pm

Secularist Eura wrote:There was no ethnic cleansing of armenians by the turks. both sides slaughtered one another. armenia is bringing up this topic over and over again due to modern-day political issues.

Then I would suggest you read a book sometime that’s not from a Turkish author.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:54 pm

According to a youtube source. A group of so called foreign fighters in Nagorno Karabakh that were fighting for the Azeris tried crossing into Iran. This group also fired some shoots into Iranian settlements. In response, the Iranian military used there artillery to attack these foreign groups stationed in Azeri territory. Some think Turkey will use Azerbaijan to station foreign fighters in order to launch attacks into Iran.

Source but its in Spanish - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXNmIxtsdks
Last edited by Rio Cana on Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Dakran
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dakran » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:55 pm

Rio Cana wrote:According to a youtube source. A group of so called foreign fighters in Nagorno Karabakh that were fighting for the Azeris tried crossing into Iran. This group also fired some shoots into Iranian settlements. In response, the Iranian military used there artillery to attack these foreign groups stationed in Azeri territory. Some think Turkey will use Azerbaijan to station foreign fighters who in order to launch attacks into Iran.

Well that's certainly... something.
Trans flag here She/Her
01_EMBASSY_PROPOSE
WHAT WAS WILL BE, WHAT WILL BE WAS, WHAT WAS WILL BE, WHAT WILL BE WAS, WHAT WAS WILL BE, WHAT WILL BE WAS
Baltenstein wrote:Source:
The Turkish minister of Turkishness, Öztürk Türkuglu.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Dakran wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:According to a youtube source. A group of so called foreign fighters in Nagorno Karabakh that were fighting for the Azeris tried crossing into Iran. This group also fired some shoots into Iranian settlements. In response, the Iranian military used there artillery to attack these foreign groups stationed in Azeri territory. Some think Turkey will use Azerbaijan to station foreign fighters who in order to launch attacks into Iran.

Well that's certainly... something.

According to the following report, when it comes to Iran, Iran is the big loser in this war.

Read - https://www.arabnews.com/node/1762626
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Bogatygora wrote:The sad thing is that dog Aliyev has only had his popularity increased by this war. The Azeris truly are modern lemmings.

typtical tactic of fledging unpopular autocrat. Start a war!

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:30 pm

Nakena wrote:
Bogatygora wrote:The sad thing is that dog Aliyev has only had his popularity increased by this war. The Azeris truly are modern lemmings.

It is. Unfortunately this will also boost Erdogan.
The difficulty with the tactic is if you lose, your regime usually falls.
But they won here. It is a high risk tactic but sometimes it pays off. It did here.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:46 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:The fact that you see any kind of disagreement as personal spite isn't my problem. The problem is that I explicitly mentioned the ethnic cleansing of Azeris from the security corridor and your response was "If Armenia had done any less to secure Artsakh" etc etc. How is that not describing it as a strategic necessity?

Because keeping a large amount of people whose loyalty lies with Azerbaijan within the border of a country at war with Azerbaijan isn’t conducive to a secure position. That’s the logic at play here, and it’s honestly not that wrong as far as practical reality and the nature of the war is concerned.

That doesn’t make it right, and that doesn’t excuse the worst things Armenia did, but what else were they supposed to do in an existential conflict based on ethnic lines?

"What else were they supposed to do except ethnic cleansing?"

Okay so your position is just open hypocrisy.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Wropdeedop
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Wropdeedop » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:08 pm

it's Werp

Albionist Great Britain
Envoy

Founded: Sep 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Albionist Great Britain » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:14 pm

Novus America wrote:
Nakena wrote:

It is. Unfortunately this will also boost Erdogan.
The difficulty with the tactic is if you lose, your regime usually falls.
But they won here. It is a high risk tactic but sometimes it pays off. It did here.

From what I know, popularity doesn’t protect dictator scum from ‘accidents’. However, unfortunately regarding that, the lack of spine from either the SIS or CIA to see to that possibility makes it an impossibility. I honestly want Aliyev and his clique out as soon as possible, ideally with Erdogan dragged along with him, whichever way’s quickest and more cleanly puts down Panturk supremacism.
Last edited by Albionist Great Britain on Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albionist Great Britain
Envoy

Founded: Sep 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Albionist Great Britain » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:15 pm

Rio Cana wrote:According to a youtube source. A group of so called foreign fighters in Nagorno Karabakh that were fighting for the Azeris tried crossing into Iran. This group also fired some shoots into Iranian settlements. In response, the Iranian military used there artillery to attack these foreign groups stationed in Azeri territory. Some think Turkey will use Azerbaijan to station foreign fighters in order to launch attacks into Iran.

Hopefully Iran becomes more belligerent and deals with these transgressions.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:24 pm

Albionist Great Britain wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:According to a youtube source. A group of so called foreign fighters in Nagorno Karabakh that were fighting for the Azeris tried crossing into Iran. This group also fired some shoots into Iranian settlements. In response, the Iranian military used there artillery to attack these foreign groups stationed in Azeri territory. Some think Turkey will use Azerbaijan to station foreign fighters in order to launch attacks into Iran.

Never thought I'd support Iran in a dispute before...

2020 is strange.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Dakran
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dakran » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:29 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Albionist Great Britain wrote:

Never thought I'd support Iran in a dispute before...

2020 is strange.

It's like the ruleset was set to random, and it just exponentially got worse the closer we got to the end of the year.
Last edited by Dakran on Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trans flag here She/Her
01_EMBASSY_PROPOSE
WHAT WAS WILL BE, WHAT WILL BE WAS, WHAT WAS WILL BE, WHAT WILL BE WAS, WHAT WAS WILL BE, WHAT WILL BE WAS
Baltenstein wrote:Source:
The Turkish minister of Turkishness, Öztürk Türkuglu.

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:39 pm

How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:26 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

"What else were they supposed to do except ethnic cleansing?"

Okay so your position is just open hypocrisy.

If you would know of an alternative Armenia could have realistically done that wouldn’t have handicapped their efforts to protect the Armenian population of NK I would be sincerely glad to hear it.

I’m well aware of my own hypocrisy. I don’t take any joy in that.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:38 pm

Well, I guess they’ve got what was coming to them considering they backed Azerbaijan.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:28 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Heloin wrote:Aside from Agdam and a few towns the whole of the region still had a Armenian majority pre 1988.

So how does that justify expelling 351,000 Azeris from its territory and conducting massacres during the Karabakh war?

You're the one pretending that's what I said.

Wropdeedop
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Wropdeedop » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:56 pm

Heloin wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:So how does that justify expelling 351,000 Azeris from its territory and conducting massacres during the Karabakh war?

You're the one pretending that's what I said.

Then what are you saying?
it's Werp

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:32 pm

Wropdeedop wrote:
Heloin wrote:You're the one pretending that's what I said.

Then what are you saying?

I'm more curious why someone's sockpuppet has deleted this comment three times already.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General