NATION

PASSWORD

California Bans Sale of New Gasoline Cars by 2035

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:forcing the citizens of the state to by electric cars to reduce gas emissions from car.

There is an argument for it. Where I live the sky is usually kind of hazy. When the lockdown went in and people were off the roads?; the sky had a tone of blue I have not seen in a long time.

As I mentioned earlier I am ok with tax breaks for buying ev's to encourage ev usage. Not so much with state mandates for it.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Wizlandia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wizlandia » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:16 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Wizlandia wrote: Third, does nothing to disincentivise driving/buying old gas cars.

And nor should it. It makes sense to give electric vehicles support with government incentives while the market catches up, but if electric vehicles suck so badly that people have to be forced/disincentivised away from their current vehicles then it shows that something's wrong and the consumer isn't going to be the winner.

The disincentive is the tax on gasoline that takes into account the externality imposed (CO2 pollution) by gas cars. I don't see what's wrong (either from an economic efficiency or moral perspective) with forcing buyers/sellers to take into account the full cost of their actions.

Also, this cost exists both for "new" and "old" gas cars, no reason to just target one and not both.
光复香港,时代革命。
Constitution of Wizlandia
Wizlandia Political Parties
Pro: Classical Liberalism, Market Economy, Civil Liberties, Free Speech, Immigration, LGBT Equality, Religious Liberty, School Choice, Carbon Pricing, Free Trade, Peace Through Strength, U.S., NATO, Ukraine, Israel, Taiwan, Supreme Court of the United States
Anti: Leftism, Nationalism, Islamic Fundamentalism, Anti-Semitism, Isolationism, Eurofederalism, MAGA Movement, American Progressivism, Affirmative Action/DEI/CRT/Grievance Studies, Xi, Putin, Ali Khamenei, Maduro, Hamas

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:32 pm

When gasoline is banned, only criminals will have gasoline. But by 2035 California will be a desolate burned-out wasteland anyway...

I think you know what this means.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:36 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:When gasoline is banned, only criminals will have gasoline. But by 2035 California will be a desolate burned-out wasteland anyway...

I think you know what this means.

If I can get an EV like that, sign me up.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Previous

Return to General